GTHD,GT5P(TGS) vs GT5demo - Lighting......what happened?

• Thread starter nafai23
  • 29 comments
Look at this shot I pulled off a video I watched of same track.

First off....there is no slowdown in this video. On the last turn, 5 cars passed in front of the audi and it did not skip a beat.

The most disturbing thing is the lighting....
You can actually see the crowd, details in the ferris wheel, and colors!
On the demo when I make this turn it is one shade of black. I have the same TV as this is captured from. Sony XBR2. (tried many different picture settings)
You can actually see the dashboard!
What happened here? Why does the same track look much worse now?
What happened to the lighting?

any ideas? are they messing with us? making the demo worse so the real thing looks better?

Look at this shot I pulled off a video I watched of same track.

First off....there is no slowdown in this video. On the last turn, 5 cars passed in front of the audi and it did not skip a beat.

The most disturbing thing is the lighting....
You can actually see the crowd, details in the ferris wheel, and colors!
On the demo when I make this turn it is one shade of black. I have the same TV as this is captured from. Sony XBR2. (tried many different picture settings)
You can actually see the dashboard!
What happened here? Why does the same track look much worse now?
What happened to the lighting?

any ideas? are they messing with us? making the demo worse so the real thing looks better?

Howdie! Don't know what to tell u.... but pausing the game at the same spot for me revealed exactly what I see in yr screen shot.... crowd, ferris wheel... same bridgestone signs..... it's all there in the demo!!?? the only differences i would say are

1. now there is actually stuff in the mirrors
2. the blastered map of the course covers the rear view mirror on the right hand driver lancer :(

I'm sure you've played with yr contrast/brightness levels so I can't tell u why u don't see what i see.....?

One month ago, a shop assistant (game mania) said that they got a memo about the GTp demo. PD wanted to make the cars look almost perfect but not the background. PD did this on purpose, so don't worry, it will all be perfect when GT5P or GT5 comes out.

I think you messed up your TV settings. Or maybe you enabled RGB Full and your TV doesn't support it, or something similar?

like I said...I have the same TV as the one in the video. XBR2
My TV is carefully calibrated and looks terrific on most all things.
Many people have mentioned how dark the game is and the contrast is messed up. Here is a better picture of my tv and the video. See how dark the picture is expect for the whites which are too white.

For the first 1/4 of the race the crowd and trees are mostly black and the banners and signs are a blinding white. The dash is mostly not visible expect those rare moments the sunlight hit it.

Even with the TV settings set to a level that is silly bright it still has major contrast issues......My TV settings are beautiful with all other games and were carefully done.

I see you do have a problem. Why don't you try to change the settings of your tv?

This has been asked before and I said *no* but I'm wondering, can one switch off the HUD in the Demo? It's messing up that beautiful dashboard.

:(

I turned off the RGB full (my tv does support it though)
Looks slightly better...different types of blacks but still black.
Everything other games and movies looks better with Full on. Deeper blacks.
I tried every setting in the book....ones that made anything else look horrible.

Still looks dark dark dark. I have a very high end TV.

Other peoples screenshots at neogaf show the same thing. Dark!
The pre-demo releases simply look and run better.
Well.....love the visuals in the videos!

Everyone using a North American NTSC TV will have a darker screen image because of the slight difference in standards between the Japanese standard and ours, which mainly affect black levels.

The best solution is to properly adjust the TV's settings with the free THX Optimizer found on many DVDs, then adjust the brightness levels to compensate for running a Japanese version.

Because both standards are so close to being compatible, you can also use any cable connection you have, including composite. I believe the reason you could not do this with the PS2 games, without assistance, is because they were region-locked.

Cheers,

MasterGT

Just loaded up GT HD JP and GT HD EN

There is no difference in brightness....GTHD looks terrific.....GT5p demo looks overexposed in the lights and everywhere else...dark dark dark

I see an improvement on my set. Noticeable, but still not perfect. Some parts of the game don't look like crap, anymore. They look "OK" now.

I have to say I get nothing that looks like your screen on my SDTV projection screen. I don't know what your problem is.

I have to say I get nothing that looks like your screen on my SDTV projection screen. I don't know what your problem is.

Me neither. I was hoping I'd find a solution talking about it. No such luck. Problem is, I don't want to alter my HDTV set settings, or my PS3 settings, just to please one game demo. So, I don't want to experiment.

However, it looks like PD are making improvements. Not huge, but noticeable. At least they know there is a problem, and at least they are taking care of it, so far. 👍

Me neither. I was hoping I'd find a solution talking about it. No such luck. Problem is, I don't want to alter my HDTV set settings, or my PS3 settings, just to please one game demo. So, I don't want to experiment.

However, it looks like PD are making improvements. Not huge, but noticeable. At least they know there is a problem, and at least they are taking care of it, so far. 👍

Same here, playing around with all those setting because of a flaw in one game demo is very annoying.

You say PD is making improvements? Are you saying that they've already updated GT5P? I can't read Japanese, so I can't tell if the demo has been updated on the store.

How does it look when you turn the car around while standing still and have the sunlight move over the dashboard. Is there any position where the dashboard looks more like on the picture? Because there are some significant differences depending on the exact direction you are facing and so on, that may have not been fully implemented yet in the original screenshot you were comparing with.

After the first hairpin turn I get alot of light on the dashboard (too sudden though and then back to dark right after)but in the long straight away after that the trees in the videos are lush and nice details on the sides....
In mine it is just black/dark olive trees....and a blinding bright suzuki circuit banner overhead.

As cartoony as Forza is when I hooked it back up today I was like....ahhhhh.....thank god.

my BMW guages etc have a lot less detail then that. They don't have all that digital stuff and the two top guages are bareley noticible...

Stop complaining... I still have to play on a PSOne and PSP...

Another member mentioned he was picking over the details of the demo, but then he played Juiced 2 on the PS3 and that put everything back into perspective :sly:

I also have to turn up the brightness before I play.

I think all this evidence does is solidify the fact that PD is definitely holding back on the enviroment graphics and most likely many other aspects of the game for this demo for various reasons.

I can confidently assure you that gt5:P will feature video adjustment settings.

I think that the demo only being 736 mb is key, and there will be cut's all over the place just so you dont have a 5 gig demo, the screen shot shows obvious detail reduction, on the dashboard. and reports from the game shows hinted at no graphics problems. so I would think ( hope ) they are holding back.

Hi everyone - first post.

Have to agree with previous replys regarding the darkness. Ive tweaked my TV settings as much as possible and cant seem to get a decent background setting. I wouldnt go as far as to say im upset, but rather shocked PD have left the display settings out. Not to worry, the cars look stunning, the game play is lovely and the overall feel is superb.

Touche :)

I'm quite upset with PD that they made the shadows SO dark. You can't see half of the inside of the beautifully designed car because they are too dark! PD fix this so we can see your artwork!

Shadows have to be adjusted to make gauges readable.
Maybe it would help if games used D65 standard.(D-N correct me if i am wrong :) )

Looking at the side by side pictures that the original poster posted, I do see what he's talking about. The Ferris wheel looks a lot more detailed at the TGS demo. If you look at the crowds, the released Demo version doesn't feature that diverse of a crowd. They all seem to be 10 different character used over and over again, especially the one wearing a red shirt.:lol:

I'm guessing when they added details to the side and rear view mirror, they had to cut down overall details of the track. It's a shame. It's also a shame that none of you noticed this and I'm sure you guys will be whining about how I'm nickpicking and blah blah blah. Just pointing out the obvious and if you do not see it, you're either blind or in huge denial. Good day!

Looking at the side by side pictures that the original poster posted, I do see what he's talking about. The Ferris wheel looks a lot more detailed at the TGS demo. If you look at the crowds, the released Demo version doesn't feature that diverse of a crowd. They all seem to be 10 different character used over and over again, especially the one wearing a red shirt.:lol:

I'm guessing when they added details to the side and rear view mirror, they had to cut down overall details of the track. It's a shame. It's also a shame that none of you noticed this and I'm sure you guys will be whining about how I'm nickpicking and blah blah blah. Just pointing out the obvious and if you do not see it, you're either blind or in huge denial. Good day!
No one has denied that there aren't aliasing and shadow issues. However, we do recognize that the file size was just over 700mb, definitely too small to have all the details seen in the TGS demo.

However, my image doesn't quite look as bad as the one posted. I get a shadowed ferris wheel from one side and a well-lit and decently detailed view from another. And I don't have any shadows to the degree of making my gauges hard to read as some people have complained about. I think some issues are individual issues based on how the downgraded lighting/shading and AA have affected individual sets.

And I haven't seen a single shot where the crowd didn't appear to just be a blur of colors.

While driving in cockpit view, then gogin to the "look back" view the screen brightness becomes a lot darker, than if you leave it there for a while (3 seconds) my screen brigthens up then I switch back to normal view and the same thing happens again.

I'm using sharp aquos 26' LCD

Anyone else notice this?

While driving in cockpit view, then gogin to the "look back" view the screen brightness becomes a lot darker, than if you leave it there for a while (3 seconds) my screen brigthens up then I switch back to normal view and the same thing happens again.

I'm using sharp aquos 26' LCD

Anyone else notice this?

That could be an HDR lighting effect gone out of control. ;)

----------------
Now playing: Tom Merritt and Molly Wood - Buzz Out Loud 590: What's your brain's bandwidth?
via FoxyTunes

Back