• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Turbo

(Banned)
United States
Elizabeth, New Jersey

1963 KVLY-TV mast nominated by @Cowboy

1200px-kvly-tv_mast_tower_wide-jpg.654953

Information: The KVLY-TV mast is a 2,063 ft (628.8 m) tall television-transmitting mast in Blanchard, Traill County, North Dakota, used by Fargo station KVLY-TV channel 11. Completed in 1963, it was the tallest structure in the world until succeeded by the Warsaw radio mast in 1974, which collapsed in 1991, again making the KVLY-TV mast the tallest structure in the world until the Burj Khalifa overtook it in 2010. It remains the fourth-tallest structure in the world (since the construction of the Tokyo Skytree and the Shanghai Tower), the tallest structure in the western hemisphere, and the tallest radio mast in the world.
Architect: Hamilton Directors
Cost to Build: $500,000 in 1963 (around $3,000,000 today)​

Ironic how one of the world's tallest structures is located in the middle of nowhere, rather than a massive city.

Can't think of anything that makes this "cool" other than it was the tallest man made structure for some time.

Meh

A few years ago I went 20 miles out of my way to the metropolis of 26 people that is Blanchard, ND for the sole purpose of seeing the KVLY tower, and the sister KXJB tower a few miles away.

The (then) tallest man made structure and something that the Architects had to research while building the Burj is damn near in my backyard? That's badass.

Solid cool.

I love really tall structures because they lead to videos like this. (My palms can't help but get sweaty watching this particular video. :P)

Cool.

I love really tall structures because they lead to videos like this. (My palms can't help but get sweaty watching this particular video. :P)
All of a sudden, I am in love with my job. I was also thinking, could those guys just skydive after they are done? It just seems so much safer...

Edit: Cool.

I'm stuck between uncool and cool... so meh. What a peculiar nomination!

EDIT: Soon we'll have Alaska's Last Blockbuster store... :D

I don't remember voting, but I apparently did. :odd:

Anyways, despite what my vote says, I think it's cool. Now if only there was something in NoDak justifying such a tall tower.

TB
Fixed.

The lack of, well, anything around the tower is exactly why it's so tall. Curvature of the earth, broadcast distance, blah, blah, blah.
That's a deluxe cardboard box though.

Back