• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Turbo

(Banned)
United States
Elizabeth, New Jersey
1989 Icehotel nominated by @Danoff

Info:
Icehotel is the world’s first hotel made of ice and snow. Founded in 1989, it is reborn in a new guise every winter, in the Swedish village of Jukkasjärvi – 200 km north of the Arctic Circle. The Torne River, the arts, and creating a setting for life-enriching moments are at the heart of it all.

This winter season there is big news— a whole new ice experience to be enjoyed alongside our classic Icehotel experience. ICEHOTEL 365 is a permanent structure that will include luxury suites, each with private relax and bathroom, and art suites, all sculptured by selected artists. As well as a large ice bar that serves champagne, and an ice gallery. This ice experience can be visited year-round and is cooled by solar panels during the summer months.
To be able to cast the building, “snice” is produced – a mixture of snow and ice made of water from the river. The snice is sprayed onto molds, which are removed once the structure has consolidated. It’s then finally time to continue the creative process inside the meter-thick walls. The aim is to use water from the Torne River as far as possible. The rooms are constructed in a classic, catenary arch shape, which is self-supporting and incredibly strong. Room after room is filled with snow and ice in the right amounts, so when the artists arrive they can get started and immediately turn their sketches into reality. Six weeks later it’s finished – with the work of many hands the river has changed shape and been transformed into art.

If I forget to bring in the patio furniture before the first snowfall, I can have this in my backyard. No need to fly to Sweden.

Meh.

If i stay in a hotel i don't want to have to wear every item of clothing i own to feel warm enough to get some sleep. SU.

Also, if i'm paying getting on for £1000 a night for a room, i'd expect an ensuite, not a shared bathroom in another building.

Last edited:
Cool wall on the cool wall. Sub-zero.

JNJmv_f-maxage-0.gif

Back