GTP Beginners Competition - Round 1

Delphic Reason

Delphicreasonium
Staff Emeritus
GTP_DelphicR
Esoterik1
banner5dq.jpg
Welcome to the Beginner's Drift Competition!​

We have such at great amount of new people that are submitting videos and asking for assistance with drifting that we have decided to have a competition specifically for these new members! We felt that you deserved a place to grow and get the fundamentals of drifting while still having a somewhat competitive atmosphere.

That being said, let's talk about the purpose of this competition. It's NOT so much about who is better then the other. But a place where new drifters can compete without some of the pressures from the traditional tournaments. To achieve this we did away with the full lap and are concentrating on specific sections. The scoring system has also been modified to focus more on getting fundamentals of drifting down then all the flash.

Good luck and have fun!

Swift, Delphic Reason, and Boundary Layer

Car Selection:

You may choose to use any car and tune it as you wish, provided that it satisfies the following criteria:
  • The PWR ratio (as displayed in the home garage) may not be less than 3.5
    NOTE: The Power to weight ratio can be found in the "Home Garage" under the "Sort By" drop down menu. The higher the number the more weight there is compared to power. The lower the number the more power there is compared to weight.
  • This figure must be observed and recorded immediately after performing an oil change. [note: this value is displayed independent of the choice of units in the Unit Options Menu]
  • You must use the same car throughout the competition with the same parts installed. However, you are allowed to alter your settings from section to section.
  • Oil changes and chassis refreshes are permitted during the competition.

Track Sections:

The competition will consist of 6 sections of track varying in length from a single corner, to 3 or 4 successive corners. These 6 sections were hand-selected to test the skill of new drifters through a variety of situations, while keeping difficulty relatively low. By keeping the sections short there is little pressure to perform consistently at a high level. We hope this will allow us to see your very best exhibition drifts.
  1. Seattle - Turn 1 Hairpin
  2. Deep Forest - Turn 1
  3. Tsukuba - Final Turn
  4. Special Stage Route 5 – Turns 7 and 8 (right-left before the hairpin)
  5. Autumn Ring Reverse - Turns 4,5,6 (dual left, right)
  6. Apricot Hill - Turns 3,4,5 (the Esses)

Demonstration Videos and Section Descriptions:

Demo Videos 1, 2, and 4 performed by Delphic Reason in a '93 Nissan S14 Silvia K's Aero
[Stock Power (after oil change), N1 tires, Suspension and LSD mods only]
Demo Videos 2, 3, 5, and 6 performed by Boundary Layer in a ’99 Nissan S15 Silvia Spec-R Aero
[stock power, N1 Tires, Suspension and LSD mods only]

1. Seattle Circuit, Turn 1 – Sharp Hairpin
This corner has a long high-speed approach, allowing for you to get creative with the corner entry. A solid feint or dynamic technique would seem to be the ideal approach. Do your best to hit both apexes as you round the corner, exit cleanly.
Demo Video - by DR

2. Deep Forest, Turn 1 – Medium Hairpin
Here we’re building upon the 1st example. You have a high speed approach into a relatively tight corner (though not nearly so tight as the first test). Begin your drift well back down the straight and use it to help scrub off excess speed. Follow a standard out-in-out line through the corner. We are looking for you to maintain a constant drift angle from corner entry to exit.
Demo Video - by DR
Demo Video - by BL

3. Tsukuba Circuit, Final Turn – Long Drift
This corner is all about the entry, it will largely decide your line for the rest of the corner – take note that there is more than one line available here. You’ll probably want to begin with a feint or dynamic entry depending on your speed. Establishing an appropriate drift angle early on is crucial to prevent you from losing too much speed or possibly drifting wide part way through the turn. Smooth steering significantly improves the look of this long drift.
Demo Video - by BL

4. Special Stage Route 5, Turns 7 and 8 – Right-Left Link
These corners are deceptively tight due to the elevation change that takes place after you enter the right hander. Because the corners are spaced so tightly it may be impractical to follow an out-in-out line through the first right. Instead, pick an exit point that sets you up well for the following left.
Demo Video - by DR

5. Autumn Ring Reverse, Turns 4, 5, and 6 – Dual Left into Right
On this drift you have a medium speed approach into the first left hander. Attempt to hit all three corner apexes as you drift through this section - to do so cleanly, careful planning and a clear understanding of your car’s limits is required. It may be necessary to cut back on your angle through the dual left to extend a decent drift out of the right hander, particularly in low power vehicles [as is shown in the video].
Demo Video - by BL

6. Apricot Hill, Turns 3, 4, and 5 – The Esses
This section has a medium speed approach. In low powered vehicles it is essential that you take the necessary steps to maintain your speed through this section – you may be required to sacrifice angle. Try to link the three specified turns together neatly, maintaining approximately the same drift angle through each turn. Attacking one corner more aggressively than another makes the section appear less fluid.
Demo Video - by BL

Submitting Your Sections:

Please combine all 6 track sections into a single video file. Indicate your entrant identity at the start of the video, use your GTP name.

Indicate which track section is being completed at the start of each new section. The use of our numbering system is adequate, ie – Section 3, or Section 5, etc.

Please display your run from both the track cam, and bumper-cam perspective. The bumper cam may be included as either a PIP with the track cam (in upper right so the laptimer in the center is not covered), or shown immediately following the track cam.

Please show the laptimer, speed, and lateral g-meter or wheel in both of your replay views.

After your video is complete and uploaded, please provide a link to your video to the head judge to complete your submission.

All videos must be submitted by March 7th, 2006 - Midnight (pacific standard time)

Judging:

Each individual section will be judged by Boundary Layer, Delphic Reason and Swift. They will be scored based on the following scale:

Line (10 points)
Angle (10 points)
Control (10 points)

Total: (30 points)
[with 1 being a low score]

Explained...
  • Line: points are awarded for taking lines well suited to your speed and angle through a corner. Out-in-out is usually preferred.
  • Angle: points awarded for your drift angle. The larger the angle the higher you’re likely to score – but this angle must appear appropriate for the corner.
  • Control consists of how smooth the car is being handled while drifting. Points are deducted for wall hits, wheel-offs, lots of stuttered counter-steer, inappropriate braking and/or throttle usage, etc…
You’ll notice this is slightly different than the system used for GTPDC’s. At this beginner stage in drifting we do not want to emphasize smoke, and are not looking for any particular ‘flair’ while you are drifting. What we want to see is well thought out lines, a drift angle that is appropriate for the corner (of course, bigger is still better if you can make it work), and smooth inputs. If you can accomplish this now, then smoke and style will come later.

The scores will be totaled and averaged for each individual drifter. The highest average score decides our winner.

Entrants:

• DRIFTN
  • sicbeing
  • boomboy
  • Hoksan
  • KANSEI_DORIFTO
  • Specialized
  • identti
  • nightkids4ever
  • dorykiiing
  • GangsTaGT
  • Fairlady240zg
  • Thatman
  • kaidogg
  • kalo
  • ~Drift King~

Best of luck to all entrants!

SCORES!

DR's Scores:

Specialized
Line - 6.25
Angle - 6
Control - 5.5
Total - 17.75

Kaidogg
Line - 6.25
Angle - 5.5
Control - 5.5
Total - 17.25

Drift King
Line - 5
Angle - 5.25
Control - 5
Total - 15.25

Dorykiing
Line - 5.5
Angle - 6
Control - 6
Total - 17.5

Kalo
Line - 7
Angle - 6
Control - 5.5
Total - 18.5

Fairlady240ZG
Line - 5
Angle - 5
Control - 5.5
Total - 15.5

GangstaGT
Line - 6.5
Angle - 6
Control - 6
Total - 18.5

BL's Scores:

Specialized
Line - 7
Angle - 5.5
Control - 6
Total - 18.5/30

Kaidogg
Line - 6
Angle - 6
Control - 7
Total - 19

Drift King
Line - 5
Angle - 5.5
Control - 4
Total - 14.5

Dorykiing
Line - 5.5
Angle - 6.5
Control - 7
Total - 19

Kalo
Line - 6.5
Angle - 6
Control - 5
Total - 17.5

Fairlady240ZG
Line - 5.5
Angle - 5.5
Control - 5
Total - 16

GangstaGT (will be edited when scores are recieved)
control - 4.5
line - 5
angle - 5.5
total - 15

Swift's Scores

Specialized
Line - 7
Angle - 6
Control - 7
Total - 20

Kaidogg
Line - 5.5
Angle - 6
Control - 7
Total - 18.5

Drift King
Line - 7
Angle - 5
Control - 4
Total - 16

Dorykiing
Line - 6
Angle - 6
Control - 6.5
Total - 18.5

Kalo
Line - 6
Angle - 6.5
Control - 4.5
Total - 17

Fairlady240ZG
Line - 5.5
Angle - 5
Control - 5
Total - 15.5

Gangsta GT
Line - 5
Angle - 6
Control - 5
Total - 16

;)

By the way, we will still be accepting more entrants right up until the deadline for submitting clips. So if you missed the sign-up thread, you are still able to get in. Just leave a note in this thread saying that you'd like to take part.

Now, lets get you guys drifting. 👍

The PWR limit is in place because we would like to encourage new drifters to utilize proper drift technique to initiate and maintain their drifts. We do not want to see everyone using [abusing] power as a crutch to mask what may be a poor understanding of drifting technique. ...alternatively, we do not want it to obstruct our view of a member's very good understanding of technique either.

Both of the demo cars had PWR's greater than 4.5. So drifting these sections successfully with a PWR of 3.5 should be a breeze. We'd love to see you guys pulling off stunts that far exceed those shown in the demos. A PWR of 3.5 is roughly 340hp for a 1200kg car - more than enough to have fun with and pull you out of the occasional hairy situation.

gotcha i suppose i'd have to go with a supra, my friend should be happy.
Also how large do you want the final video to be?

Let's see those vids gentlemen! We want to make this a regular event, but it can only happen if we get excellent participation!

ill deff run these sections, but wont be submitting any vids.

im going to aim to do these with pwr more than 5(ie 5,5.3,5.5,6,etc)

The car situation is fine for me, but there are some other issues.
Firstly the deadline is very tight, meaning i may not be able to submit 6 videos in that time. I really would do better with an extra week or two.
Another question is about showing the cars PWR rating. How can you show the rating and then video the whole proccess of entering the race, and then drifting?

nightkids4ever
I don't get the pwr Ratio but ill just keep it stock
you can sort your cars by pwr. thats the only way to tell that i know of. or you can do the math yourself using weight and power.

identti
The car situation is fine for me, but there are some other issues.
Firstly the deadline is very tight, meaning i may not be able to submit 6 videos in that time. I really would do better with an extra week or two.
Another question is about showing the cars PWR rating. How can you show the rating and then video the whole proccess of entering the race, and then drifting?

We were really just hoping you guys would be decent enough folk that we could go by the honour system.

We weren't sure quite how much time you guys would need. We might be able to bump it back - we'll discuss it.

And yes, you view the PWR in the home garage, it is one of the properties that you can sort your cars by. Select that option from the drop-down to view your PWR.
We'd rather you do this than the math. Mass / horsepower doesnt give the exact figure displayed [I believe it may be mass / PS actually...], and your answer will vary depending on what screen you view the hp.

PLmatt91
Take me out. These rules and stuff are confusing.

How is it confusing? You drift 6 sections with one car. The power to weight ratio is displayed for you by GT4. There shouldn't be any issues except not having a capture device.

What is your challenge with the rules?

Ok, if you guys want to take a vid of the garage screen, to prove the pwr/weight ratio (which is really easy to find), that's your choice... Although, it is not required... The honour system was our original intent...

Take me out. These rules and stuff are confusing.

All you have to do is set up a car with anywhere from stock to 350hp (depending on weight), go to the "Home Garage", and go to "sort by" drop down menus, and sort by "power weight ratio"... The higher the number the greater the weight to power... The lower the number, the greater the power to weight... Get it?... If the number of your car is 3.5 or higher, you're good to go...

;)

Delphic Reason
Ok, if you guys want to take a vid of the garage screen, to prove the pwr/weight ratio (which is really easy to find), that's your choice... Although, it is not required... The honour system was our original intent...

All you have to do is set up a car with anywhere from stock to 350hp (depending on weight), go to the "Home Garage", and go to "sort by" drop down menus, and sort by "power weight ratio"... The higher the number the greater the weight to power... The lower the number, the greater the power to weight... Get it?... If the number of your car is 3.5 or higher, you're good to go...

;)

I don't want to sound like noob or nothing but I still don't understand. Just take me out.

nightkids4ever
well,unless your kind of skilled*cough* driftn*cough*

I don't think you get it...

You must have a power to weight ratio of 3.5 or higher to enter this competition... Anything lower than 3.5 is not allowed...

Read the notes in the first post...

;)

Delphic Reason
I don't think you get it...

You must have a power to weight ratio of 3.5 or higher to enter this competition... Anything lower than 3.5 is not allowed...

Read the notes in the first post...

;)
Its not that, but I thought you where talking about the horsepower wise, but I need to go to on my garage in Gt4. Since I haven't even touch my ps2 since the competition started, and I was trying to get some good jokes in because it makes it kind of fun in a competition...but I guess, I wasn't funny for a ha ha ha. oh well...ill get started on the clips.

nightkids4ever
Its not that, but I thought you where talking about the hp wise but I need to see it on my garage which I haven't even touch my ps2 since the competition started, some good jokes is a bit kind of fun doing competition...but I guess, I wasn't funny for a ha ha ha. oh well...ill get started on the clips.

NK... It's really hard to understand what you are trying to say... Try and use proper punctuation, and grammar... The red bit, is expecially confusing... It looks like a poor Japanese translation...

;)

lol ive gotten seattle, apricot, and DF so far, i was working on tskuaba, but i dont think i have enough power/speed to get around it. lol.
im pretty sure i can do autumn ring 2 link, and im pretty sure i can get around the SSR link also.
edit
im using a near stock AE86 on n1's
power upped to 139 hp, n1 tires, custom lsd, race clutch and flywheel.
no suspension mods.
no weight loss that i know of. no chassis refresh, no cage.( im not 100% positive on this last line, but i think thats how it is. ill check tonight and see if i have anything else.

Back