maserati-kyalami_01

Body style: 2dr Coupe
Engine: 4.2L V8, 4.9L V8
Power: 261 hp (4.2), 276 hp (4.9)
Torque: 289 lb-ft
Weight: 1670 kg
Transmission: 5-speed ZF manual, 3-speed BorgWarner automatic
Drivetrain: FR
Additional Information: Based on the DeTomaso Longchamp, but restyled by Pietro Frua to give it a distinct Maserati feel - Top speed of 149 mph - The Maserati has better performance than the automatic-only Longchamp it was based on - Only 200 units built
maserati-kyalami-1.jpg

maserati-kyalami-5.jpg

c-esp00056-3_2.jpg

8H9tq_D8BwYniTlcRCMBRuvncTY7rtHZOygjYpsIYXuCN3ArFd1sEmKBNp_FtjJr0Q7GI7RGiseVapLaYFbXNUaLtgr9ZyBnwhEnO-L6DteTdA

Last edited:
I really like the looks of this car (Better than the Longchamp it's based on), so I'm going SZ, although I can understand how other people might not like the looks. I guess I just have a thing for forgotten Italian cars.

It seems Meh to me. Very nice looking car, but I am not known away by it in any sort of way. Meh-serati...

Wikipedia paints a very interesting history to this car. It's a restyle of the Longchamp, which is a two-door derivative of the Deauville, which is a chassis sibling to the Quattroporte III. So in a roundabout way, it's a Maserati rebadge of... another Maserati.

Man, cars are weird.

I'll toss it a Cool, just because I like cars with strange histories to them.

I think the single shot above makes it look a lot longer than it actually is. From other angles it appears much more compact.

maserati-kyalami-5.jpg

Its makes an interesting segue between what people expected a 70's Maserati to look like and how un-Maserati looking the Biturbo, and it's close relatives, appeared to most observers in the 80's (and probably still now). Cool.

meh as that front end reminds me of a lancia delta

'cause late 70's Giugiaro.

Last edited:
An Italian coupe, yay! Better looking than a Longchamp, more yay! Not having an Italian engine lets things down though.
Actually, it does! Instead of the Ford V8 the Longchamp had, the Kyalami uses a quad-cam Maserati engine. It was the last car to use said engine, in fact.

Last edited:
Back