GTP Cool Wall: 1978 Ford Falcon Cobra (XC)

• Thread starter Snikle
  • 13 comments

1978 Ford Falcon Cobra (XC)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
United States
Poll 1278: 1978 Ford Falcon Cobra (XC) nominated by @ThrasherDBS
falcon-xc-cobra-nzv8-10-09.jpg

Body Stylye: 2dr coupe
Engine: 4.9L V8
Power: 202hp
Torque: 268 lb-ft
Weight: 1655 kg
Transmission: 4-speed manual
Drivetrain: FR
1978_Ford_XC_Falcon_Cobra_hardtop_%286107943503%29.jpg

49549790117_494b50414f_b.jpg

4FordFalconXCCobra1978.jpg

xc_cobra3.jpg

SZ. I really like the way this car looks. Something about it just feels so damn nostalgic for some reason. The paint reminds me of model cars from the '70s and '80s that I found in my grandparents' basement when I was little.

Meh... But if it was the 351ci/5.8-litre V8 spec version (like the top one in the spoiler) it would have scored a Sub-Zero.

You say Australian car, this is exactly the thing that comes to my mind. I would say that the engine is the weak point, but knowing the type of person who would own one of these, I reckon that was often remedied in very short order. Very solid Cool.

Only 200 horses out of that massive 5.0 V8 despite the racing stripes and agressive styling cues? You’ve got to be kidding me. That’s the automotive equivalent of ‘compensation’.

Despite being a worse Mustang in every sense of the word, it’s also an Australian car. I think Australian cars are some of the most useless automobiles to ever be created. Makes sense seeing as they’re all dead now.

You say Australian car, this is exactly the thing that comes to my mind. I would say that the engine is the weak point, but knowing the type of person who would own one of these, I reckon that was often remedied in very short order. Very solid Cool.

If Boganman was a super hero this would be the Boganmobile.

Only 200 horses out of that massive 5.0 V8 despite the racing stripes and agressive styling cues? You’ve got to be kidding me. That’s the automotive equivalent of ‘compensation’.

Despite being a worse Mustang in every sense of the word, it’s also an Australian car. I think Australian cars are some of the most useless automobiles to ever be created. Makes sense seeing as they’re all dead now.
Do you remember the equivilant1978 Mustang (King Cobra)... only 139 horses out of its massive 5.0 V8. Now that was worse in every sense of the word. ;)

I give you the 1978 Mustang :lol:
ford-mustang-ii-king-cobra.jpg

Last edited:
Ignoring the obvious, tell me more about what a "correct" level of specific output would be in the late 1970s.

Despite being a worse Mustang in every sense of the word, it’s also an Australian car.
There hadn't been a Mustang approaching as good as this by any metric for 8 years by the time this one came out.

I think Australian cars are some of the most useless automobiles to ever be created. Makes sense seeing as they’re all dead now.
It's a good thing it makes sense to you, at least.

I forgot about the oil crisis, my bad. However, that doesn't change my opinion on this car or any Australian cars for that matter.

Back