United States
Elizabeth, New Jersey, USA
1998-2010 FIAT Multipla nominated by @FerrariF1GT

upload_2020-2-7_21-30-35.png

Body Style:
5-door MPV
Engines: 1.6L petrol I4, 1.9L diesel I4
Power: 103 HP (petrol), 120 HP (diesel)
Torque: 106 ft-lb (petrol), 151 ft-lb (diesel)
Weight: 1300kg
Drivetrain: Front engine, front-wheel drive
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Additional Information: The Multipla received a facelift in 2004.
upload_2020-2-7_21-34-19.png

upload_2020-2-7_21-34-52.png

upload_2020-2-7_21-34-59.png

upload_2020-2-7_21-35-6.png

upload_2020-2-7_21-35-14.png

It's so uncool that you can't even say "its so uncool that it's cool". Hideous, hideous machine, both inside and out. I understand Fiat wanted a product that stood out and didn't look like every other Euro MPV, but this completely missed the mark.

Fun Fact: The post-facelift Multipla was rebadged as the Zotye M300 Langyue. Why rebadge a car as ugly as this one? Because China, that's why.

Oh yes, the best car of all time, and it was the future (according to Clarkson).
It was a great idea on paper, great visibility, it seats 6 (and it's the perfect number for a minivan in my opinion), it was one of the first cars sold here to have LPG and methane-powered versions and even a full hybrid version was offered (but it was not for sale to the general public, only for certain taxi companies).
But the problem is always the fact on how they managed to design such an ugly car, I mean props for trying to attempt something original but this is too much.
Here the Multipla is everywhere, a testament to how any FIAT product is at least successful in Italy (because well, it's Italian) and because it was quite practical.

Tl;dr: Great idea, VERY bad styling
SU

Last edited:
I’ll be honest: I really don’t think the car deserves the hate it gets.

I’m not going SZ out of spite for that, though. I think cool will suffice.

I'll be honest. I actually like the looks of this thing, especially pre facelift. I would love to get a manual diesel to use for autocross or maybe Lemons.

I'll be honest. I actually like the looks of this thing, especially pre facelift. I would love to get a manual diesel to use for autocross or maybe Lemons.
You'll have to wait at least until 2023, I think
Also, @GranTurNismo the Multipla at launch also had a 1.9 JTD Diesel engine with 105hp, later bumped up to 110hp in 1999 and 115hp in 2001, the diesel in the description is the 1.9 Multijet diesel engine introduced with it's facelift in 2006!

A vehicle that puts a priority on the passenger experience - space, vision, comfort is a good thing. Especially if it's a vehicle designed primarily to transport passengers en masse.

It was brave of Fiat to go down this route in an era where exterior styling seems to trump everything else. Cool.

It's ugly as hell but part of me really loves them. The 1st gen is better because it looks worse. I voted cool because they do what they're designed to do really well and Fiat seemingly decided to prioritise that over looks. I can respect that.

Uncool, but saved from SU because it's still certainly possible to explain why you'd want to own one over anything else. It's just that practicality on its own doesn't tend to be very cool.

Definitely not as ugly as its reputation suggests. It actually has really nice details, particularly the pre-facelift version. Its proportions are very unusual. Probably going to have to give it a meh as it was quite a clever bit of design but ultimately not very sexy.

Definitely not as ugly as its reputation suggests. It actually has really nice details, particularly the pre-facelift version. Its proportions are very unusual. Probably going to have to give it a meh as it was quite a clever bit of design but ultimately not very sexy.

See, I don’t think that a vehicle has to be sexy to be cool and you can’t make a people carrier ‘sexy’ without compromising the functionality of what it’s actually designed for.

And everyone is missing out on the best option, the third seat... in the front row! Amazing!

Surprised to see how many "cool" votes this car has received. I don't particularly care how individual members vote for a specific car, but at the same time, it is interesting to see people's reasoning behind their choice.

My logic is, even if this car was truly good looking, it still wouldn't be cool. Why? Because it's an MPV. The sole purpose of an MPV is to haul around families. Though MPVs are generally good at what they do, I don't see what is cool in that.

My logic is, even if this car was truly good looking, it still wouldn't be cool. Why? Because it's an MPV. The sole purpose of an MPV is to haul around families. Though MPVs are generally good at what they do, I don't see what is cool in that.

I personally think it's cool (it's a very low cool, but cool all the same) because it is a boring segment, but Fiat tried to do something quite different with it. It's like they actually put some thought into what a small hatchback platform MPV could provide to it's occupants. Virtually every other manufacturer just made their hatchbacks a little taller and a touch longer and left it at that. Hence the dull.

Back