Wiegert

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
2008-2016 Dodge Grand Caravan nominated by @JASON_ROCKS1998

1024px-2011_Dodge_Grand_Caravan_Mainstreet_--_02-17-2011.jpg

Body Style:
5-door minivan
Engine: 2.8L I4 (EU 2011+), 3.3L V6 (2008-2010), 3.6L Penastar V6 (US 2011+), 3.8L V6 (2008-2010), 4.0L V6 (2008-2010)
Power: 160 hp (EU 2011+), 175 hp (2008-2010), 197 hp (2008-2010), 260 hp (2008-2010), 280 hp (US 2011+)
Torque: 205 ft-lbs (2008-2010), 230 ft-lbs (2008-2010), 259 ft-lbs (2008-2010) 260 ft-lbs (US 2011+) 266 ft-lbs (EU 2011+)
Weight: 1950 kg
Transmission: 6-speed automatic
Drivetrain: Front-engine, front-wheel drive
Additional Information:
The Grand Caravan is a passenger minivan manufactured by Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, and sold by Dodge. A pioneering minivan, it has been marketed and sold alongside the Plymouth Voyager, Chrysler Voyager, Chrysler Town & Country, Chrysler Grand Voyager, Lancia Voyager and Volkwagen Routan, selling over 11,000,000 units worldwide, with the Chrysler minivans consistently outselling other minivans in the United States.

The Grand Caravan went into it's 5th Generation in 2008 with a new 6 speed transmission and a variety of V6 engine options in the US, while an AWD system was unavailable. The Grand Caravan continued to be the best selling minivan in the United States, taking up 60% of all minivan sales. In 2011 the Grand Caravan recieved a revision which resulted in most of the engine options being removed. After this only the 280HP 3.8 V6 was available in the US while Europe was limited to just the 160 BHP 2.8 I4 being available.

The Grand Caravan was updated yet again in 2014 with a new "American Value Package" (VP) which was a more affordable version of the SE trim. The Grand Caravan will be replaced in 2017 by the new Pacifica, which will also succeed the Chrysler Town & Country, with production of the Grand Caravan ending this month (Dec 2016) and the remainder of stock being sold by the end of 2017.

1024px-2011_Dodge_Grand_Caravan_--_06-24-2011.jpg
2016-grand_caravan-md-rt-hero2.jpg
01-2011-dodge-grand-caravan.jpg
dodge-grand-caravan-07.jpg
2014-grandcaravan-packages-blacktop-2.jpg

2008dodgegrandcaravansxtinterior-l-d353aafac329e65e.jpg
dodge-caravan-interior_caravan-interior_.jpg

I hate to say this, but despite the general feeling that minivans are uncool. I do like minivans. However, this generation Caravan does not help the minivan image. Especially when Dodge makes a sad attempt to make it sporty with the R/T trim. (Which just adds headlights with black housing and a couple trim color changes) I worked at a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealership and these were just depressing. Especially when I saw one guy trade in his B7 Audi S4 for a Caravan R/T, because of family.

Minivans aren't bad. But the Dodge Grand Caravan is the epitome of an uncool minivan. Especially during the later years. Felt so outdated....

Minivan. Extremely low meh. The bright red van in the spoiler doesn't look all that bad, IMO.

Just as a suggestion for future cool wall cars, can the weight be displayed in pounds and kilograms? Not all of us 'Mericans can convert those in our heads.

Dan
Minivan. Extremely low meh. The bright red van in the spoiler doesn't look all that bad, IMO.

Just as a suggestion for future cool wall cars, can the weight be displayed in pounds and kilograms? Not all of us 'Mericans can convert those in our heads.

Google it then. There are plenty of conversions on the web. And it's not up to @Wiegert he's continually said that he just copies the info posted by the nominating party. So it'd have to be a rule change agreed by all, but kind of silly when as I've said there are conversion sites or you can simply remember 1kg = 2.2 lbs now if you had to convert to slugs I could see it being a bother.

I bought an old beat up astro van once for 500 bucks, slapped an electric fuel pump on it and the old lady drove it for maybe 4 years. It was almost cool but only because it was funny, this thing here is not cool in any way.

Almost forgot, a friend of mines mother owned an older dodge like this, it had a 4bang turbo in it, most likely a mitsu motor? I'd done some work on it and thought it was a decent motor.

I've been in the Chrysler version and it's not too bad, but it's still a mini-van.

Also, I think it's time to call an end to the cool wall since the last few weeks have just been barrel scraping.

I'm guessing it gets an automatic seriously uncool because it's a brick that moves things. There's also the added stigma of driving one too. Ah, I've rode in one many times, so I'd give it a meh. It's a fine people mover for sure.

Man, the Caravans are Uncool. Sounds like an old folks...Well, "caravan".

Should have nominated my old '05 Odyssey. It's so cool, a slightly modified one did a One Lap of America.
images

Just a question to everyone, is it possible to have a car that is cool that fits 6+ people, usually your out of that range when the car has more then that many seats.

Minivans though, they just are not cool.

Just a question to everyone, is it possible to have a car that is cool that fits 6+ people, usually your out of that range when the car has more then that many seats.

Minivans though, they just are not cool.
My Dad had plenty when I was growing up. Bench seats in our:
'69 Malibu wagon
'69 Skylark 2-door
'74 LeSabre 4-door
'75 Imapala frameless 4-door
'75 Impala wagon
'77 Malibu Classic 2-door
'81 Caprice Estate

Could probably get them all(maybe the '69 cars would go for a premium) for the price of that Caravan when new.:)

Minivans in general are seriously uncool, but I don't mind them. Sliding doors are great in tight parking spots, watching a toddler open a Suburban's rear door is scary...

My Dad had plenty when I was growing up. Bench seats in our:
'69 Malibu wagon
'69 Skylark 2-door
'74 LeSabre 4-door
'75 Imapala frameless 4-door
'75 Impala wagon
'77 Malibu Classic 2-door
'81 Caprice Estate

Could probably get them all(maybe the '69 cars would go for a premium) for the price of that Caravan when new.:)

What, no 65 chevelle wagon? ;)

Compared to the best of these in Europe, it's hopelessly dull and generally cheap looking.

An Espace or S-Max it is not.

Seriously uncool.

By the very definition of what they're designed to do, a people carrier can never be anything more than 'meh' at best. But they also rarely pretend to be anything other than a carrier of people, so in most instances there's nothing seriously uncool about them either. Solid uncool.

Bull:censored:!!

Pros: 280 hp V6
Cons: Generic styling, no true R/T option

So what, then? A 2 ton minivan with all the personality of drywall coated in Old Spice equals some seriously boring driving. Drop a piano on it and then douse it with flame.👎 A true Road/Track option shouldn't be some blackened trim, and two badges and maybe a smidge of tightened suspension so unnoticeable, you may as well hop up and down to simulate the minivan equivalent of the World Rally Championship.

Back