GTP WRS-Online : Special Event III - Spa Mixed Class Enduro - Mar 25

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 777 comments
Sounds good. If anyone does want to qualify in the next couple hours for either class the lounge (GTP_3D3_B) is all set up for Spa and I'll be available.

I've fielded a couple question on this event regarding qualifying so just wanted to clear this up:
Qualifying Time
  1. The drivers single best hot lap will determine his starting position on the grid.
  2. LMP minimum speed criteria will involve the average of a driver's best two hot laps which must be under 2'05.50.
  3. Any driver in either class that demonstrates in qualification or practice sessions that he cannot keep the car in control and on the track consistently or maintain a reasonable pace will not be allowed to participate in the enduro race. The stewards and event organizers will make that call if it is deemed necessary.

Your single best lap is what determines your position on the grid and race lounge (Division A or B) regardless of class. The two lap average is *only* for the LMP drivers to satisfy the "minimum" requirement to choose that class. The LMP cars are given an extra (3rd) hot lap during their qualification race because of the two lap average floor and also to help us determine the level of car control.

We plan to start publishing qualifying times toward the end of the week / early weekend. We don't want to have the early-birds at too much of a disadvantage. When we publish the times they will appear in the driver registration images in the OP.

I'm in the 3D3 B lounge now if anyone wants to come along and practice with me (and watch me drift around corners :dunce:)

Just dropped into the main 3D3 lounge if anyone wants to practice with me/an admin wants to watch me qualify. :)

Speedy6543
If you're still there and ready, I can take your qualifying.

Admins if you do host a quali, especially in the main lounge, be sure to post here and tell people its about to start so they don't pop in during a hot lap and distract driver. Then edit post when it's complete.

Or use the A or B lounge, but still makes sense to post.

Still fighting off this cold, but feeling better, Tim, so I am going to re-submit, but only as a GT class "reserve" for both of the Support Races.

Sounds good, Dan. But like I said over in the other thread, I would strongly suggest connecting to the lounge a couple times while others are there, in the next 10 days leading up to those support races, to see how well your networking setup works with the sometimes-fickle GT5 online.

My biggest problems were cured by making sure my PS3 was wired-ethernet and on the DMZ on my router (NAT2 here).

Sounds good, Dan. But like I said over in the other thread, I would strongly suggest connecting to the lounge a couple times while others are there, in the next 10 days leading up to those support races, to see how well your networking setup works with the sometimes-fickle GT5 online.

My biggest problems were cured by making sure my PS3 was wired-ethernet and on the DMZ on my router (NAT2 here).

Never had any problems before, but yeah, Nat 2, broadband, hard-wired, 22.9 Mbps download and 598.3 kbps upload....wireless a little below those numbers...but hard-wired, always, when online game interacting. :)

That's good if you've played other games online, and your stats look great, but believe me, if you've never tried an actual online race in GT5, you might be surprised at how fickle it can be.

Yeah, I'm sure it will be an eye-opener. :scared:

Never noticed this before: :dunce:

Wired=598.3 Kbps upload [I would think wired this should be higher than wireless]
Wireless=3.9 Mbps upload

Wired=22.9Mbps download
Wireless=14.7Mbps download

EDIT:

Lol, I just did a wired test again and:

16.9 download; 5.8 upload.

Now I know why Sony puts *Connection speed results are estimates and are provided as a reference only. Duh!!!!

Last edited:
Dan your speed looks great and you have wired so that's awesome. But GT5 is just different when it comes to the netcode from most games. Do your PS3 results show UPnP enabled with NAT2? Here's an example (not from me):

2vuc5km.jpg

If you don't see UPnP enabled you almost certainly will need to put the PS3 on the DMZ. If UPnP is found and enabled you might not need it, but DMZ usually doesn't hurt.

Latest firmware for router can also make a difference if you have invisible driver issues.

Again, none of this will be for sure until you join a lounge and see how things shake out. The more users in the lounge the better test it will be because the router issues can be specific to a single other user and more users means more data points.

Even if you are not doing one of our weekly races, you can join practice before the race and just verify you can see everyone on track and that you don't have issues. Today even if you have the time.

Yeah, that's the same as mine. That's where I got my info posted above.

Yeah, I plan to jump on now that I'm getting up and around, trying to get my strength back.

I'll have to back out of the main race, finishing at almost 1am is far too late for me unfortunately as I'll be up for work ~ 6 hours later and I need a LOT more beauty sleep than that - I will however race in the first support race on Saturday, if there are spots. Not exactly sure if I'll be able to if not racing on Sunday though. I've never raced with you guys so I've no idea what I need to do, I'm about to go and read through the OP.....

I'll have to back out of the main race, finishing at almost 1am is far too late for me unfortunately as I'll be up for work ~ 6 hours later and I need a LOT more beauty sleep than that - I will however race in the first support race on Saturday, if there are spots. Not exactly sure if I'll be able to if not racing on Sunday though. I've never raced with you guys so I've no idea what I need to do, I'm about to go and read through the OP.....

The feature race is 2.4 hours and starts at 8:00pm UK time.. So unless I'm mistaken we should finish at around 10:30pm, which is 2 hours and a half extra of sleep time ;)

When everybody left last night I tried a different tune to Wes', and was instantly 2 seconds faster, and broke into the 2:02's with less tire wear, a 2:01 is possible but I'll need to do some tinkering. Like I said, too much understeer :sly:

Yes, you can absolutely race on Saturday even if you don't run on Sunday. However, you still must run the qualifier so that's the first order of business. For GT class that qualifier is due by next Thursday (8 days) and for LMP it's due this Sunday (4 days). Both qualifiers consist of alerting a steward you are ready and then running a short race by yourself with a steward observing and recording your best lap as your qualifier. You are being observed because it's one shot only and any "offs" add a 2 second penalty to your lap time. It's all tucked in that huge OP somewhere. :sly:

:lol: I could have sworn it said 2200GMT - need my eyes testing..... in that case then I am not backing out!

Qualifying this way also has the side-benefit of forcing people to join a lounge well ahead of the race, so any obvious home network-related issues might be earlier noticed and fixed. ;)

Ok thanks Tim/Lucas

There's no way I'm running in LMP class since I've never raced GT5 online and have no clue about the physics/tyre wear, so I will get some practice in with the Z06RM and sort out qualifying soon.

Ok thanks Tim/Lucas

There's no way I'm running in LMP class since I've never raced GT5 online and have no clue about the physics/tyre wear, so I will get some practice in with the Z06RM and sort out qualifying soon.

👍 Before doing anything see steps 2 and 3 in the guide:

GTP WRS-Online : Comprehensive Guide

Then click the "Register Here" buttons in the 3rd post (Enduro) and 4th post (Support) of this thread to officially register.

Just like we told Dan it may help to hop in on a practice or even pre-race practice for our EU race next Wednesday just to get a gut check on your network/router/etc. Dan seemed to have no problem today so he should be good to go on the network side of things.

👍 Before doing anything see steps 2 and 3 in the guide:

GTP WRS-Online : Comprehensive Guide

Then click the "Register Here" buttons in the 3rd post (Enduro) and 4th post (Support) of this thread to officially register.

Just like we told Dan it may help to hop in on a practice or even pre-race practice for our EU race next Wednesday just to get a gut check on your network/router/etc. Dan seemed to have no problem today so he should be good to go on the network side of things.

Aye, I'm sorting that out now.

Network is no issue, I have a 10mb downstream connection and can/will put my PS3 to a static IP that I have setup as DMZ host on my router - tech stuff not a problem.

Edit: Done all the things I need to do.

NAT Type 2, UPNP is on, Wireless downstream according to PS3 of 7.0mb/560k upstream

Last edited:
Heading into 3D3 lounge for some more practice now.

Edit:Think I am almost ready to qualify now, getting low 2'05 regularly and the occasional high 2'04 :D
All done for now

Last edited:
I'm going to dig out my old G25 tonight and see if I can't crank it up.... not holding my breath - the thing was rattling like a can of nuts when it was still in use. I want to run this if I can.... had a quick blast yesterday in the 908 and its a great challenge.

Sounds similar to my pace, Jon. Your consistency is going to be tough to match, though. 👍 That 2:04.5 I set last night was as fast as I could go, but I actually feel like having the driving line back on was distracting me. Turning it back off.

Good luck, Chris, would be great to have you in this race. 👍

I'm down for this!! Looks epic! 👍

A few questions:

1. The GT Class will start behind the LMP Class, right?
Cause since we're racing with a time limit instead of a pre determined number of laps, we don't need to give the GT Class a head start in order to be able to finish the race before the 180 second countdown is reached. Am I correct?

2. Quali. When reading the OP, am I correct if I understand it like all participants, no matter which class he aim to race in, need to qualify in the LMP car?
Can a steward please explain this to me? Thanks. 👍

Cheers

I'm down for this!! Looks epic! 👍

A few questions:

1. The GT Class will start behind the LMP Class, right?
Cause since we're racing with a time limit instead of a pre determined number of laps, we don't need to give the GT Class a head start in order to be able to finish the race before the 180 second countdown is reached. Am I correct?

2. Quali. When reading the OP, am I correct if I understand it like all participants, no matter which class he aim to race in, need to qualify in the LMP car?
Can a steward please explain this to me? Thanks. 👍

Cheers

Welcome to the Event 👍

We haven't decided on the order for starting the race yet, but you are correct in that lap counts (between GT and LMP classes) won't matter as this is a timed event.
ATM we are considering letting the GT class start first, then starting the LMP class once the GT's are through Pouhon.

Re 2: Drivers only need to qualify for the class they prefer to race.
Some drivers have not decided which class they prefer yet, and some would like to give the LMP class a shot, so all drivers can try to qualify for both.
It's not required to run the LMP quali if you are only interested in the GT class.

Going to 3D3 lounge again :D
I would like to run my LMP qualification sometime today if any stewards are available.

Back