GTP WRS-Online : Special IV - Laguna Mixed Class Enduro - Apr 29

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 665 comments
Nope, the car should be run at the specs specified in the OP exactly so everyone runs the same car.

I actually meant to put in the thread that the specs aren't 100% final until the quali window opens. So it's possible we could take your input as something to test... if it's a change that couldn't be abused (i.e. verified in HUD) and a part that's easily removed without buying a new car (which turbos are) we may consider it as a spec change before that deadline... but the important point is that everyone will/should use the same specs. We'll try out the mid range turbo and see how it looks.

Understand the thing we're trying to manage is the relative strength of the two cars at various parts of the course. Corner entry, mid corner, corner exit and straight speed so that the interaction between the classes is "safe". Nothing is perfect, but our testing showed the cars worked well together on track with the stated specs. We didn't however, try every combination, so we'll give the mid range a shot if we have enough time to test before the deadline.

Ok, just wanted to be sure on that.

For what it's worth, I found the car to be just as fast around Laguna with the mid range turbo. The high speed turbo spun the tires a lot more, and was harder to drive for me.

Just my 2 cents.

Says the guy who has an LMP as his avatar. :sly:

That was from Le Mans last year, and I ran out of arsed to change it. :lol: Though seriously, I love driving the 787B, but I figure why not give the other class a try this time?

To give an idea for how "challenging" this is going to be:

Really awesome lap, this ^.

note to self - turn volume down to avoid eardrum explosion.

Looks alright to me, nothing to it! Much more concentration required, no little breaks around here, no real straights.... more sand too! and more corkscrews than at Spa, 1 more corkscrew to be exact.

OK, here's the first volley on the practice sheet.

I ran a practice session last night online at race specs to test out my new paddles (which work great) and ran a 1'16.4. There were lots of areas to clean up so this is just a launching point for the rocket.

Broke the RX-7 in last night, specs are ok, put the Belgium Colours on (black,yellow,red).

Will start testing in my lounge now, anyone who feels 'the need', feel free to join.

Just makes me want one of those 787Bs, but is it worth all those monies? ;)

Le Mans winner in '91, crazy fast, I'm pretty sure one of the best sounding cars in the game?

I think so :)

note to self - turn volume down to avoid eardrum explosion.

Looks alright to me, nothing to it! Much more concentration required, no little breaks around here, no real straights.... more sand too! and more corkscrews than at Spa, 1 more corkscrew to be exact.

:lol:. Yeah the long straight at Spa was a blessing, it refreshed me to attack lap after lap after lap. Also this track has virtually no runoff areas, so smaller mistakes will cost you more time. Also to compare, the Pug had a P/W ratio of 0.73 while this has 0.92.

In short, it's gonna be a lot of fun haha.

EDIT: Just Wiki'd this car, pretty epic stuff
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_787B

Last edited:
I think you're quite mad. 800+ HP through the corkscrew for over 2 hours! :scared:

You could run it with some power limiting, according to wiki it didn't actually race with more than 700... I don't know how your last LMP event went, but it has almost 30% more hp/weight and a much sharper peak than the 908. A 90% limit gives a much nicer curve and would take the edge off while also extending tire life. Then you could take some upgrades off the RX-7 to maintain balance. Just my thoughts...

Broke the RX-7 in last night, specs are ok, put the Belgium Colours on (black,yellow,red).
Sounds awesome, Frank. 👍 I was looking at the RX-7 last night in GT Auto, and this car has a TON of available wheel choices! :D

Congrats getting the shifters fixed, Tim. I think I'll see if I can get out of the 1'17's tonight. :cheers:

I think you're quite mad. 800+ HP through the corkscrew for over 2 hours! :scared:

You could run it with some power limiting, according to wiki it didn't actually race with more than 700... I don't know how your last LMP event went, but it has almost 30% more hp/weight and a much sharper peak than the 908. A 90% limit gives a much nicer curve and would take the edge off while also extending tire life. Then you could take some upgrades off the RX-7 to maintain balance. Just my thoughts...

In my opinion, and afther another 35 laps, it would not be a bad thing if the mazda RX7 got a bit 'limited' aswell. As it is a small circuit, with 2 different classes, both run on the edge....it could give some trouble's.

Best lap so far 1.25.5xx

I started from a stock setup, but was not happy with my tyre wear, so i did some 'home adjustments' proving to be better on the tyrewear :) Still need to tweak the gears a little....

Last edited:

Are you thinking of joining in the fun, Jonas? ;)

I thought the same about the 787B the first time I drove it last week, with the stock tune, and initial HP=801. I was all over the track. :scared: But with Praiano's tune and only 30min of practice, my opinion changed dramatically, and I was getting low 1'17's, 1sec away from Tim's posted 1'16.4, which never surprises me, as he's always faster, and he finds his limits much faster than I do. I would say give it a try. 👍

We don't want to change the specs (much), given the quali window opens in 2 days, but we are discussing these concerns internally among the admin team.

I just gave the 787b 40 minutes in room B and I only managed a 1:18.1 w/ 783bhp

I crashed more times than I completed clean laps though, so I am now strongly thinking of avoiding the faster car as I couldn't really control it. I tried offline too and wasn't great there either, so I don't think it's the physics but the fact that I couldn't handle that car :scared:

Tim recited Praiano's to me in the lounge the other night, and that's all we've tried so far. Seemed great to me.

I updated the details post on page 1 with links to the Praiano tunes for both cars. If you guys find other good tunes or make them yourself and post them to the thread I'll link them in the OP as well.

Note: We're going to move the quali window start back a day to give us a little more time to test a few of the suggested changes. With the normal 3D3/WRS race tomorrow we've been focusing on that event and moving the window back a day will give us an extra evening to run some tests.

Qualifying Windows
  • LMP: Friday, April 13th (12:01 PM Pacific) - Sunday, April 22nd (10:00 PM Pacific)
  • GT: Friday, April 13th (12:01 PM Pacific) - Thursday, April 26th (10:00 PM Pacific)

Will anyone dare to run quali on Friday the 13th?

Last edited:
I'm in the B lounge for a while testing out the two cars if anyone wants to join.

Not the most productive session, I won't even post the 787B time as it's too slow.:lol: Fast lap in the RX-7 was 1'25.277 and there was plenty more time there. Using Praiano tune for both cars.

Last edited:
I'm in the B lounge for a while testing out the two cars if anyone wants to join.

Not the most productive session, I won't even post the 787B time as it's too slow.:lol: Fast lap in the RX-7 was 1'25.277 and there was plenty more time there. Using Praiano tune for both cars.

Sorry I couldn't join you. I was in the main lounge preparing for the races tomorrow (Rakete). After tomorrow I'll switch my focus to the Enduro and it will probably stay there for a couple weeks. :sly:

Just noticed the update (Car pic) in the support races table. 👍 Looks nice.

I'll be practicing in the RX-7 in the main lounge in about 15-20min.

EDIT: I'm out again. Best lap 1'23.966

Last edited:
A question for LMP drivers, with Praiano's tune are you using any TC, I found that I drove it more consistent without any TC and it seemed to respond a bit better also, but the back tyres wore out quite quick (8 laps).

Ran about an hour last night in my lounge and didnt break into the 1:17s, as I'm struggling with turn 1 and turn 2. Ive got to try and get a fair bit of practice in before qualifying.

I updated the details post on page 1 with links to the Praiano tunes for both cars. If you guys find other good tunes or make them yourself and post them to the thread I'll link them in the OP as well.

Note: We're going to move the quali window start back a day to give us a little more time to test a few of the suggested changes. With the normal 3D3/WRS race tomorrow we've been focusing on that event and moving the window back a day will give us an extra evening to run some tests.

Qualifying Windows
  • LMP: Friday, April 13th (12:01 PM Pacific) - Sunday, April 22nd (10:00 PM Pacific)
  • GT: Friday, April 13th (12:01 PM Pacific) - Thursday, April 26th (10:00 PM Pacific)

Will anyone dare to run quali on Friday the 13th?

Friday the 13th seems a perfect fit for me, and perhaps the only day where I'm not doing other things.

Signed up for the LMP. Very much looking forward to this one, and will actually practice :P

Thanks for yet another great event 3D3 👍

Might join you aswell...

Friday the 13th seems a perfect fit for me, and perhaps the only day where I'm not doing other things.

OK, you guys just post on here on Friday and we'll make sure a steward is available to watch your runs.

The admins have on remaining test session before we completely *finalize* the specs on the cars. As of now, we're not planning on any changes, but we reserve the right to make changes until Friday when the quali window opens. At that point the specs for qualification are frozen so all runs are made on equal ground.

We are "considering" the feedback from drivers to lower the power on the LMP (but not too much) which would mean we could also run a lower turbo on the RX-7 (Low or Medium RPM). The changes, if any, wouldn't significantly change the cars handling so practice work put in so far would not be wasted. Although lap times quoted so far would obviously be irrelevant.

Also, one additional note. The admins are considering penalizing any qualification lap where the driver hits an object on the track (e.g. brake marker signs or cones). Hitting them will red flag your lap in the WRS Time Trials so we're most likely going to follow suit here with a minor time penalty. There won't be penalties during the race, but wouldn't it be nice to race here without the markers spread all over the track in the first couple laps! The exact ruling on this will be published before the qualification window opens.

Also, one additional note. The admins are considering penalizing any qualification lap where the driver hits an object on the track (e.g. brake marker signs or cones). Hitting them will red flag your lap in the WRS Time Trials so we're most likely going to follow suit here with a minor time penalty. There won't be penalties during the race, but wouldn't it be nice to race here without the markers spread all over the track in the first couple laps! The exact ruling on this will be published before the qualification window opens.

👍 First lesson in reallife racing ; RESPECT the TRACKBOUNDRIES

We are "considering" the feedback from drivers to lower the power on the LMP (but not too much) which would mean we could also run a lower turbo on the RX-7 (Low or Medium RPM). The changes, if any, wouldn't significantly change the cars handling so practice work put in so far would not be wasted. Although lap times quoted so far would obviously be irrelevant.

As long as you guys are taking feedback for this:
I say leave the power as is, part of the challenge is to tame whichever beast you decide to go with. We don't want to make it too easy for people :sly:.

Plus I hate the whole concept of a power limiter :)

Back