GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 8 : Star in a Reasonably Priced Car

• Thread starter EDK
  • 534 comments
I'd like to know what people think about the penultimate turn - it has a lump of solid surface that is not the track, on the inside of it. Is it part of the track, or part of the non-track (e.g. grass)

Also the outer part of the exit of turn 1 (ignoring the slight bend) - the right-side has a strange surface, is this track or non-track?

These are the only bits I've found so far that won't invalidate your lap with a red time. I believe red times won't save when you do 'Save best lap'

That lump of solid surface you are on about is the rumble strip so lap should be clean using that, my problem is entering the hammerhead, you have just a white line in the middle of the track to follow, are you allowed to put two tires over the white line or is that classed as dirty.

If it helps, imagine there's a sand trap beyond the white lines! It is unusual this week, as normally white lines end at the grass on the side of the track.

Edit: Wait, think I'm mis-understanding. You can put 2 over the white lines, but as ever you still need 2 on or inside the white lines.

Hammerhead is all about the exit, noticed that when I did the SIARPC in GT5 section. Not much time to gain on the little left at hammerhead, but everything to lose on the exit.

Last edited:
Dirty. If it helps, imagine there's a sand trap beyond the white lines! It is unusual this week, as normally white lines end at the grass on the side of the track.

Edit: Wait, think I'm mis-understanding. You can put 2 over the white lines, but as ever you still need 2 on or inside the white lines.

Hammerhead is all about the exit, noticed that when I did the SIARPC in GT5 section. Not much time to gain on the little left at hammerhead, but everything to lose on the exit.

It's the little left I am on about, I noticed in the special events that there are cones inside the white line of that turn, thats why I wondered if having your tires just over that white line would make your lap dirty. The reason I ask is the last 2 time trials I have been in, it is fine to have 2 wheels over white lines, surely the same rules apply for this track.

Anyone help with this?

It's the little left I am on about, I noticed in the special events that there are cones inside the white line of that turn, thats why I wondered if having your tires just over that white line would make your lap dirty. The reason I ask is the last 2 time trials I have been in, it is fine to have 2 wheels over white lines, surely the same rules apply for this track.

Anyone help with this?

I would believe your right! Atleast, that is the methodology I have been using.

Same as for the right hand through the tyre wall, I have been using that 2 wheels over the rumble strip is ok as long as 2 wheels stay to the left of the rumbles.

The white line for the hammerhead denotes the racing line through the corner, so 2 wheels to the left of the white line would be like putting 2 wheels on the grass if it was grass. same for the exit I assume - 2 wheels to the right of the lines = 2 wheels on the grass. Just make sure that 2 wheels stay on the track side of the line!! 👍

I would believe your right! Atleast, that is the methodology I have been using.

Same as for the right hand through the tyre wall, I have been using that 2 wheels over the rumble strip is ok as long as 2 wheels stay to the left of the rumbles.

The white line for the hammerhead denotes the racing line through the corner, so 2 wheels to the left of the white line would be like putting 2 wheels on the grass if it was grass. same for the exit I assume - 2 wheels to the right of the lines = 2 wheels on the grass. Just make sure that 2 wheels stay on the track side of the line!! 👍

I can't see the rules being any different for this, thanks for your help 👍

ok, just to be sure. :)

what is on, what is off?

f2t1p142n8.jpg

f2t1p142n9.jpg

f2t1p142n10.jpg

f2t1p142n11.jpg

f2t1p142n12.jpg

Splits after first 10 laps:

What I wonder about clean driving is what happens if you hit a cone in your first lap then set a fast lap in, say, your 10th. Should all cones be at their spot during your submitted fastlap? I'd say yes, but it's up to Kevin to decide about this.

Happy racing everybody 👍

A weak T1, have seen some .2s and a few .0s in T2, but being consistent is hard. Never a great fan of Comforts, but not too bad in something as slow as this.

Personally, I would say they were all clean.

Would be cautious on the first picture of the penultimate corner though, as its unclear about the front wheels. But, assuming its on the rumbles there, it would be clean to me 👍

BUT, Don't take my word for it :dunce:

First Splits

I have some more pics like rudi, legal or not? Especially curious about being over the right of the white line on the run to the finish.

thetopgeartesttrack.jpg

thetopgeartesttrack1.jpg

thetopgeartesttrack2.jpg

thetopgeartesttrack3.jpg

Personally, again I would say these were all clean. As from reading the rules, pretty much the only things that will DQ a lap are:

• Going on the grass
  • Hitting a cone
  • A complete miss of the racing line

An admin would need to agree with this properly!!

Again, Dont take my word on it :) im just giving MY opinion!! :dunce:

Really want to run this as it's a great combo, but it's hard to know what is clean and what is dirty, I think most of my lap is fine, it's just the left hander leading into the hammerhead I am unsure about.

Is anybody else putting there left tires inside the white line at the entry to hammerhead?

Really want to run this as it's a great combo, but it's hard to know what is clean and what is dirty, I think most of my lap is fine, it's just the left hander leading into the hammerhead I am unsure about.

Is anybody else putting there left tires inside the white line at the entry to hammerhead?

Yes all the time!! saves a little bit of time from taking a straighter line through that little left-right.

Until a Admin says otherwise, im going with that the white line is edge of the track, so 2 wheels to the left is like the grass 👍

My opinion though, is mostly wrong! :dunce:

Yes all the time!! saves a little bit of time from taking a straighter line through that little left-right.

Until a Admin says otherwise, im going with that the white line is edge of the track, so 2 wheels to the left is like the grass 👍

My opinion though, is mostly wrong! :dunce:

In the special event section there are cones there just inside the white line, the same goes for the exit of the hammerhead, there are cones on the right, but I also put my 2 right side wheels inside that white line for a smoother exit out of the turn.

Hope this is clean or it could be classed as hitting invisible cones, which I think is wrong because all the cones for this section is off the racing line anyway, in my opinion they are just there to show you the entry and exits of this corner.

Hope I am correct in saying this

This should be interesting, i did this exact challenge on my home top gear leaderboard last month. Exactly the same , tyres, car, power, track. Can't wait to get back into the swift:sly:

I would like to propose the following to the race admins:

Since been clean or dirty is difficult to be 100% sure about it (a cone may be touched without noticing, and replay's default camera doesn't give the best possible angles for clean/dirty checking) I propose that dirty replays will be disqualified but drivers won't suffer any penalties (besides this week's DQ).

Personally, again I would say these were all clean. As from reading the rules, pretty much the only things that will DQ a lap are:

• Going on the grass
  • Hitting a cone

I think they are clean as well, but I think we need some confirmation on this as it seems evryone here is confused as to what is clean/dirty. The very last photo is the one I'm most concerned about, being completely over that white line at the finish but still on the 'hard surface'. That being said, I've seen many a 'star in a reasonably priced car' go completely on the grass, and then some. In that case the whole airfield would be legal :sly:

Well, I personally am STRUGGLING with this one!
No ideas as yet on how to bridge what seems to be a huge and ever growing gap between me and everyone else.
My first 10 lap session.

T1: 43.500
T2: 26.525

Cheers All !!!

Here's one point I would like verifying please Kev:

In the rules, hitting the cones is forbidden... If, however, you take out all the cones that obstruct certain "short-cut" corners on your first lap, faster lines would be available on subsequent laps without hitting cones. I think this is a bit of a loophole and exploiting this would be, in my view anyway, against the spirit of the rules rather than the letter. It may be best to stipulate that all cones must be present and correct as they are at the start. Or the opposite and give free license to "clean-up" the racing line of cones on the first lap.

Here's one point I would like verifying please Kev:

In the rules, hitting the cones is forbidden... If, however, you take out all the cones that obstruct certain "short-cut" corners on your first lap, faster lines would be available on subsequent laps without hitting cones. I think this is a bit of a loophole and exploiting this would be, in my view anyway, against the spirit of the rules rather than the letter. It may be best to stipulate that all cones must be present and correct as they are at the start. Or the opposite and give free license to "clean-up" the racing line of cones on the first lap.

Unless something has changed on GT5, if you save a best lap replay driving a line that would knock out cones that are no longer there, the replay will show you knocking out the cones.

I won't be able to try it out on a PS3 until Saturday, so give it a try and let me know what you find.

You guys always manage to do this in the middle of my night. I go to bed and then wake up to 2 pages of, is this clean? What about that? The admins need to decide!! :sly:

Seriously, I tried to just create some common sense rules so I didn't have to spend 2 hours taking "Clean" and "Dirty" pictures at every corner, only to still have a whole bunch of questions. But I'll do my best to answer, here goes............

Is there anything invisible on the track that we all need to be aware of, don't want to post a time and end up getting disqualified at the end of the week. I know about the invisible walls but to be fair bouncing off them isn't going to get you a faster time anyway, is there anything else we need to be aware of.

Thanks in advance 👍

I noticed some invisible walls, but I think most required you to be all the way on the grass. I drove offline quite a bit, trying to get an idea of what would and would not get red clocked.

Bouncing off of any walls isn't going to make your lap faster, but we've never allowed it and we aren't going to start now.

I'd like to know what people think about the penultimate turn - it has a lump of solid surface that is not the track, on the inside of it. Is it part of the track, or part of the non-track (e.g. grass)

Also the outer part of the exit of turn 1 (ignoring the slight bend) - the right-side has a strange surface, is this track or non-track?

These are the only bits I've found so far that won't invalidate your lap with a red time. I believe red times won't save when you do 'Save best lap'

I did my best to clarify that in the first post. That just looks like concrete, then asphalt to me. I said that all hard surfaces are track. And that grass isn't a hard surface. Another way of saying it - Rudi's pic is clean.

That lump of solid surface you are on about is the rumble strip so lap should be clean using that, my problem is entering the hammerhead, you have just a white line in the middle of the track to follow, are you allowed to put two tires over the white line or is that classed as dirty.

You only need to have 2 tires on or vertically in line with the track, so yes, you can have 2 over the line, as long as you don't hit a cone or something invisible.

ok, just to be sure. :)

what is on, what is off?

f2t1p142n8.jpg

The black asphalt on the inside is track, just don't run on the grass.
f2t1p142n9.jpg

OK to be over that line, it does not get red clocked, and we all know that every lap run on this track on the show takes the line you are on.

f2t1p142n10.jpg
The concrete is track, the grass is not. That shot is clean.
Clean, track surface is right up until the grass.

Clean - Same - Track surface until grass.

• Going on the grass
  • Hitting a cone

Agree completely. Thanks for having the best common sense post of the night.

Hoo-ray Kevin I was going to ask if being this far away from the grass, corners and boundary lines was acceptable.

picture.php

Come on guys common sense, if you think you need to ask just do it again but don’t take so much next time.

Phillip.

I don't know how I pulled off that T1, but it scared me the rest of the lap. :) Bad T3 but still managed to improve my time.

EDK
Unless something has changed on GT5, if you save a best lap replay driving a line that would knock out cones that are no longer there, the replay will show you knocking out the cones.

I won't be able to try it out on a PS3 until Saturday, so give it a try and let me know what you find.
You're right, I just tried it. 👍

Come on guys common sense, if you think you need to ask just do it again but don’t take so much next time.
I don't think Rudi's pics are entirely unwarranted. There are white lines all over the track, they all look the same, but certain ones are considered the edge of the track and others aren't.

Last edited:
Gave this a go for about 30 minutes yesterday and got a 42.2 T1, then the following left turn flagged me with 2 tires clearly outside the white line 👎

Jerome

Back