GTP_WRS-Online : Special VII : 2 Hour Laguna Seca Road Car Mixed Class Enduro - October 10 and 17

• Thread starter EDK
  • 49 comments

EDK

WRS Admin
United States
Boise, ID
GTP_EDK
full

Presents...

WRS Mixed Class Enduro at Weathertec Raceway Laguna Seca

full

:: Only Open to Qualified GTP_Registered Members ::
:: Members are not obligated to take part ::

Feature Races
(Timed 2 Hour Enduro)

Saturday, October 10, 2020

12:00 AM Pacific | 3:00 PM Eastern | 7:00 PM GMT | Check Local

Saturday, October 17, 2020

12:00 AM Pacific | 3:00 PM Eastern | 7:00 PM GMT | Check Local

full

Steward's Notes:

Continuing with the string of Special Event of late, GTP_OLR team proudly presents...
the WRS 2 Hour Laguna Seca mixed class enduro with two road car classes: the Top class being the Toyota MR2 GT-S '97 and the Second class the Toyota Corolla Levin (AE86).

Whichever car you chose, it's pure fun that's on the menu! Plus, we get to enjoy it twice on back to back weekends.

If you've never participated in one of these truly special events, get ready for a treat and check out the following promotional video put together by GTP_oink.

Good Luck, OLR Team:gtplanet:

full

full

General
  • Date: Saturday, October 10 and October 17, 2020
  • Time: 12:00 PM Pacific | 3:00 PM Eastern | 7:00 PM GMT
  • Car: Multi-Class
  • Track: Weathertech Raceway Laguna Seca
  • Qualification: Day of Event Qualifying Using Game Based Qualifying - 5 Minutes for One Out lap and 2 Hot Laps
  • Driver Change: One Required Simulated Driver Changes - 5 Minute Pause in Pits
Basic Settings
  • Room Mode: PE = Practice, Qualify, Endurance
  • Room Privacy: Friends Only
Room Settings
  • Room Title: GTP_WRS Special VI - 2hr of Laguna Seca
  • Room Type: Race for Real
  • Fixed Room Host: No
  • Max Number of Participants: 16, on first come first serve basis
Course Settings
  • Course: Weathertech Raceway Laguna Seca
  • Laps: Timed 2 hours
  • Time: Fine Weather
  • Time Progression: N/A
Race Settings
  • Start Type: Formation Lap w/ Rolling Start
  • Grid Order: Fastest First
  • Boost: Off
  • Penalty: None
  • Flag Rules: On
  • Tire Wear: 8x
  • Fuel Depletion: 8x
  • Grip Reduction on Wet Track/Track Edge: Real
  • Minimum Number of Pit Stops: 0
  • Require Tire Type Change: Off
  • Race Finish Delay: 180 Seconds
  • Ghosting: OFF
  • Visible Damage: On
  • Mechanical Damage: Light
  • Slipstream Strength: Real
  • Pits: Unrestricted w/required simulated driver change (see below)

Top Class (MR2) Regulations
  • Make: Toyota
  • Model: MR2 GT-S '97
  • Power: 243 HP (Stock)
  • Weight: 2,800 lb/1,270 kg (Stock)
  • Tires: Sports Hard
  • Vehicle Tuning: Tuning Prohibited.
  • Custom Paint, Wheels, Number: Allowed
  • Brake Balance Adjustment: Allowed
Lower Class (AE86 Levin) Regulations
  • Make: Toyota
  • Model: Corolla Levin 1600GT APEX (AE86) '83
  • Power: 151 HP (120% HP in Tuning Menu)
  • Weight: 2,072 lb/940 kg (Stock)
  • Tires: Comfort Soft
  • Vehicle Tuning: Tuning Prohibited: Power Adjustment to 120% is only tuning allowed. Weight and all other settings are to be stock.
  • Custom Paint, Wheels, Number: Allowed
  • Brake Balance Adjustment: Allowed
Limit Driving Options
  • Countersteer Assist: Prohibited
  • Driving assist: Prohibited
  • Active Stability Management (ASM): Prohibited
  • Driving Line/cones/markers: Available / Optional
  • Traction Control: Available / Optional
  • ABS: Available / Optional
  • Handbrake : Prohibited
Simulated Driver Change
There will be 1 mandated (simulated) driver change pitstops during the race which must take place between 30 and 90 minutes into the race. To simulate the change a driver will pause during a regular pit stop for 5 minutes. The time is free to choose for every single drivers' own will. It will throw some interesting dynamics into the race and it will also allow the participants to take a small break during the race for a stretch, drink or a real life pit stop during this challenging event.

Specifics

1. To begin the simulated driver change enter the pits as normal.
  2. To make sure your car stays in the pit you must not make the choice of tires yet while your car is driving through the pits to its' box.
  3. This way your car will stay stationary and the crew will not start working on the tire change.
  4. As soon as the car is stopped, the counter for stop duration starts. This is your 5min timer.
  5. After that timer has hit 5:00min you can select the tire type and continue your pitstop and your race.
Driver Change Verification and Infractions

• All drivers will have to make screenshots from their 5min pitstops and post them in the thread afterwards for verification.
  • If you do not serve the total 5 minutes a double time penalty will be applied to your finish time. e.g. if you serve only 4 minutes then 2 minutes will be added to your finish time.
  • If you accidentally leave the pits early you can avoid a penalty by returning to the pits and serving all of the remaining time on the *very next* lap.
  • Any driver that doesn't attempt a proper driver change will be DQ'd and removed from the official results.

full

Rolling Starts By Class

MR2 cars will leave the grid first and get into a staggered formation. Pole sitter on left side and alternating all the way back. Target speed is 62 mph / 100 kph. AE86 Levin cars should form up the same way roughly 15 seconds behind. Both fields should close ranks after exiting the final corner on the formation lap. Maintain formation lap speed until the start/finish line when the pole sitter will accelerate to race pace. All other cars should accelerate when the car in front accelerates. There should be no overlap with the car in front of you during the start. The Levin pole sitter should time the start to maintain a safe gap (roughly 15 seconds) to the MR2 cars.

Mixed Class Racing Rules

Both classes must share the road and show some courtesy to the other class!

MR2 Class Ground Rules:
  • Be Patient: Your job is to get around the Lower class responsibly. Do not dive bomb a Lower class car under braking putting them in jeopardy if you make a mistake. Understand where you car holds the advantage and utilize those areas to execute passes safely. Sometimes that means braking earlier.
  • Have good situational awareness. If the Lower class drivers you are approaching are engaged in close battles don't expect them to stop their battle and let you go by. You may have to slow and pick your passing lines carefully. You may lose a gap you've built over a competing Higher class driver, but that's the nature of multi-class racing. Everyone has a right to the road and everyone is going to get stuck behind a slower car at some point in the race.
AE86 Class Ground Rules:
  • Be predictable. Pick your line and and hold it. Don't suddenly change your line thinking it will allow faster cars to pass. You will just surprise them and mess up any plan they've already made to get around you. If you are taking a corner on the racing line, hold the racing line on exit and allow the Higher car to pass on the inside. If you are on an outside line in a corner, maintain that line on exit.
  • Have good situation awareness and make use of the radar in traffic situations. Understand which cars and how many are around you. Is there one Higher class car attempting to pass or a pack of them. Where do the Higher Class cars have a big advantage over you (straight, under braking, mid corner).
  • Do not block: Lower Class drivers do not have to move aside for an approaching MR2, but they are not allowed to "block" or interfere with an MR2 trying to pass.
Remember every driver has their own style and approach to the course. You should take advantage of practices and support races to get to know your competitors and their driving styles and their skill level regardless of which class they are racing. Some drivers have more car control than others, some are more comfortable maintaining close proximity to other cars and some may back off with other cars around.

This event is for fun and drivers of all skill levels are welcome. If you have a problem with that then this probably isn't the event for you. Unintentional mistakes are going to happen, but this is a very long race and you have plenty of time to recover (light damage). However, at the same time, all drivers are expected to drive at a pace in which they can consistently control their car and not jeopardize other drivers. Do not drive faster than your ability to control the car. If during practices and races you are not able to consistently control your car you may be removed from the race and/or demoted to a lower race class at the stewards discretion.

full

Last edited:
full

Feature Race 1 - Enduro

Saturday, October 10, 2020

12:00 PM Pacific | 3:00 PM Eastern | 7:00 PM GMT | Check Local

1. GTP_EDK (@EDK) - Levin
  2. GTP_roamer2629 @roamer2629 - MR2
  3. Gu1tar3rich (@richroo) - TBD
  4. GTP_Pokey @suprajef - MR2
  5. Gnome_V8 (@oldguy58) - TBD
  6. GTP_jammy @jammy21 - Levin
  7. GTP_RikWrx (@Rikson) - TBD (Reserve)

Feature Race 2 - Enduro

Saturday, October 17, 2020

12:00 PM Pacific | 3:00 PM Eastern | 7:00 PM GMT | Check Local

1. GTP_EDK (@EDK) - MR2
  2. GTP_roamer2629 @roamer2629 - MR2
  3. Gu1tar3rich (@richroo) - TBD
  4. GTP_Pokey @suprajef - Levin
  5. Gnome_V8 (@oldguy58) - TBD
  6. GTP_jammy @jammy21 - Levin
  7. philtaylor17 (@Philtaylor17) - (P) TBD

Eligibility

This WRS-Online event is open to GTP_Registered members only. If you are not currently on the registry, join now by following the GTP_WRS Registration!

Registration Instructions
  • Leave a reply in this thread to let us know you've registered and any other comments.
There is a 16 car/driver limit for this event and slots are awarded on the grid using a first come first serve basis. Reference the registered drivers table above for availability. This is a stand alone race and points are not tallied for a series. Future WRS-Online races may have different driver limits and will require re-registration using the same first come first serve basis and participation in future events is optional.

Cancellations

If for some reason, after you register for the event, you are unable to attend please post a reply in this thread.

Delaying or Restarting Race Start

Once the race countdown timer has started, the race will only be restarted in these cases:
  • Multiple drivers report a black screen/hang or are stuck on the grid, instead of the 3-2-1 countdown.
  • One or more drivers get disconnected before race-pace has begun ("GO" for grid-starts, end of formation lap for rolling starts).
  • Steward realizes there is a condition that would lead to an unfair or poor race experience.

Once the race countdown timer has started, the race will explicitly NOT be restarted for:
  • Latecomers, even if you've registered
  • Driver realizes he picked the wrong car parts (ie, tires) or driving options (ie, Auto tranny)
Important Notes:
  • The lounge will be open about 1 hour before the race begins -- watch thread for announcement.
  • Be on time (at least 5 minutes early, but preferably 15).
  • Regulation checks will begin promptly at race start time.
  • No tire warming procedures allowed during formation laps.
Regulation Checks:

All drivers should be in the lounge at least 5 minutes before the race start time. We will begin reviewing these rules at that time. Once the steward begins to speak or type out the instructions please refrain from using the text or voice chat unless you have an important question.

At the race start time we will begin regulation checks. You will be called by name to enter the lounge with the Levin drivers entering first and then MR2s after regs are updated. Do not enter the course until your class is called and do not exit to the lobby once you are entered.

Stay in the pits until the system places you on the starting grid and then we'll begin the formation lap procedures above.

full

Last edited:
Hi Guys
pls sign me up wouldn't want to miss racing with you guys ! :)

not sure on class yet but happy to make no. up in eather class ! both weeks if available :) pls

:cheers::gtpflag:

Last edited:
Tires and fuel both updated to 8x. I tested both cars and a range of settings tonight. I think this will be a nice balance across the classes. Does not leave stints too short or long in either, should make for a mix of strategies. 👍

I will not be able to make the 17th now either :( I made a livery for the event - I'll share it in game with WRS tags if anyone wants it. Have fun - its an awesome combination for an endurance race!

I will not be able to make the 17th now either :( I made a livery for the event - I'll share it in game with WRS tags if anyone wants it. Have fun - its an awesome combination for an endurance race!
So sorry. Now that we have put in all the work, I would not mind finding a 3rd weekend to run if people are up for it.

I am going racing in a Corolla with 300 hp on the 24th.

But could do sometime in Nov or Dec.

EDK
So sorry. Now that we have put in all the work, I would not mind finding a 3rd weekend to run if people are up for it.

I am going racing in a Corolla with 300 hp on the 24th.

But could do sometime in Nov or Dec.

Nothing to be sorry for at all, I wish I could be part of it, WRS special events are amazing and this one looks really cool in both classes, if it was to be run again I would be there 100% and if anything changes for the 17 and there is still a space I will too.

Really hope there is a GoPro being mounted in that Corolla - i want to see that!

Nothing to be sorry for at all, I wish I could be part of it, WRS special events are amazing and this one looks really cool in both classes, if it was to be run again I would be there 100% and if anything changes for the 17 and there is still a space I will too.

Really hope there is a GoPro being mounted in that Corolla - i want to see that!
It's a Portland race, so I am mainly hoping it rains. :)

And yes, there will be a camera.

@EDK can we have an Dislike emoji for these occasions! ... will miss you phill ...

You should race it over here it rains pretty much all year round :lol:
Portland is not much different. They actually say the climate there is a lot like the UK.

Mid July to Mid September normally does not have rain. The rest of the year, it's a roll of the dice.

Can i make a suggestion : i found that it was hard to see any brake lights ,so could we make it a nice sunset or sunrise?

Sorry, I really don't like driving in those conditions. I can look at one of the more overcast times, potentially.

The problem with sun glare, much like night driving, is that it does a poor job of simulating real life. In real life, the solution for sun in my eyes is a shaded visor. It works great.

On the game, not so much.

Back