User user
Premium
New Zealand
Auckland
Lazer0pz
Yep.

It's happening.

We're playing hard mode.

https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fdam%2Fimageserve%2F1079971786%2F960x0.jpg%3Ffit%3Dscale

I don't want a lot for Christmas..

As a way to honour George's passing, we've decided to retire the long running tradition of GTPlanet vs. Wham and bring in a new contender, invigorating the game a bit.

Despite the lyrics being about the rejection of the consumerist capitalisation of the holidays, All I Want For Christmas Is You is one of the most played songs during the Christmas period, often in shopping malls, department stores and supermarkets. You'll hear it on the airwaves everywhere, adverts on television, Spotify and YouTube and you'll always have the fear that somewhere, somehow, someone is about to play Mariah Carey....

General Rules and Guidelines:
  • Survive 2019 (i.e. 23:59.59 in your time zone) without listening to All I Want For Christmas Is You by Mariah Carey
  • Only the original song performed by Mariah Carey counts. Remixes and the duet version with Justin Bieber don't count.
  • Hearing any part of the song counts as getting Carey'd. If you're unsure whether it's a remix or the duet version, keep listening to find out, or use apps such as Shazam or Google Assistant. If you're still not sure, it may be in good faith to consider yourself out.
  • GIFs, still images or muted video do not count.
  • When you hear the music, consider yourself Carey'd, out of the competition..
  • With the Banned User Log now retired for some time, we now have 'Underneath Mariah's Christmas Tree' If you get Carey'd, post here and tag myself (@Daniel or @TJ13) so one of us get a notification and can promptly update it.
  • Do not post any links to the song in this thread without sufficient warning. This place is a safe haven.
  • While the rest of the site is free reign, keep in mind the site's rules regarding misleading (next bullet point)
  • You will not knowingly post any material that is false, misleading, or inaccurate.
  • If you play the link in the OP with any intention outside of refreshing your memory (i.e.playing it over Skype or PSN), you will be Carey'd if you hear it.
Some tips to avoid the song:
  • Do not trust anyone.
  • Avoid shopping at department stores, clothing stores, supermarkets - anything that may have a radio playing.
  • If you must step outside, consider bringing noise-isolating earphones and play loud music on them to avoid any other songs.
  • Do not trust anyone.
  • Have your computer defaulted to 'mute' and make sure that your volume is off while opening any links.
  • Do not talk to any other GTPers using Skype, Facebook, Xbox Live or PlayStation Network. We are all evil and cannot be trusted, especially @Jordan.
If you haven't yet head the song, just click on the video below to watch it before avoiding it until next year.

Good luck everyone.

You'll need it.

GTPvW! 2010
GTPvW! 2011
GTPvW! 2012
GTPvW! 2013
GTPvW! 2014
GTPvW! 2015
GTPvW! 2016
GTPvW! 2017
GTPvW! 2018

Last edited:
mariahcareychristmastreejuly2017-500x604.jpg

Underneath Mariah's Christmas Tree (Sign-ups Before December 1st)
  • @Daniel - I saw it coming. I knew I was going to hear it. There was no esape.
  • @W3HS - Shem is unable to confirm that he was officially Careyed so until he hears the song again, he is in a state of both Careyed and not Careyed. Shrödinger's Careyed, if you will.
  • @Jimlaad43 - I'm just going to link Jimlaad's poem instead of writing my own entry.
  • @Famine
  • @ryzno - If elected county representative I will make it my utmost priority to ban all Christmas music.
  • @Naveek Darkroom - Never mind Todd In the Shadows, you need to worry about Mariah In the Shadows.
  • @polysmut - One of our veteran players has fallen. May we all take a minute of silence to appreciate Mariah Carey not playing.
  • @Liquid - I would like a foot-long chicken classic sub on MaRYEah bread.
  • @homeforsummer - All I Want For Christmas is Noise-Cancelling Headphones
  • @MaxAttack - Butt Careyed.
  • @TJ13
  • @TB
  • @edawg456 - To cowork or not to cowork, there is no question.
  • @ClydeYellow - Instacareyed.
  • @Pupik
  • @AudiMan2011 - If you're at a job where Mariah Carey is played on the radio, you need to find a new job.
  • @Darla Starch - Good Morning America, and goodbye Darla Starch!
  • @Casey
  • @CLowndes888 - As Mariah Carey creeps into #1 on the charts, she's becoming omnipresent. Watch out, everyone!
  • @scourgehedge - I'd love to know what memes contain Mariah Carey.
  • @Spacegoat - Jordaned.
  • @dice1998 - You're in the wrong job. Sell headphones instead of cars.
  • @Snikle - Careyed at dinner. Would you potentially like a slice of Careyed Cake afterwards?
  • @Rallywagon - Seems like a good time for the daughter to find her own place. Or at least make her own lunch.
  • @PinkKitty13PK - why are you still even watching Vine compilations? Get with the times, everyone's on TikTok!
  • @girabyt3 - Girabyt3 is Reason A as to why you need to get Spotify Premium.
  • @bjl23 - Leave your kids with Santa and run away. It isn't safe... nowhere is safe!
  • @Tired Tyres - This is on you for listening to the radio. Rookie mistake.
  • @Altheon - Facebook Settings - Videos - Auto-Play Videos - Off. You're welcome. For next year.
  • @Beeblebrox237 - Flight RYR24 is now boarding for Careyville. I repeat, Flight RYR24 is now boarding for Careyville. Please line up at gate 32.
  • @NotThePrez - Jordaned.
  • @adamp93 - Shut up Meg Mariah!
  • @Nexus - Turn off your internet to avoid memes. And everything else.
  • @Furi
  • @TenEightyOne
  • @Fastcarguy
  • @taz
  • @Mike458 - The story of how you got Careyed is almost like that of Bird Box.
  • @AnthonyD1993 - I don't consider listening to Christmas music to be 'family fun'. But you do you, boo.
  • @craziness924 - Keep track of how many times you hear the song throughout November and December. You'll be surprised at how much you'll end up hearing it!
  • @Rage Racer
  • @Stephan
  • @MrWaflz55 - Knocked out in a one-two punch from Mr Michael and Ms Carey.
  • @eran0004 - Jordaned.
  • @Terronium-12 Triple Striked from all directions.
  • @silverman_GT
  • @AlvaroF - I think it's time you need to break up...
  • @Dylan - Four hours and 42 minutes is indeed Below Five.
  • @NP
  • @Antares26
  • @kolio - What a 'crappy' situation to be in.
  • @Nismonath5 - Taken down by the traitor of man named @GTPVenomZombie
  • @ZGBox
  • @Hayden - Whammed and Careyed all in the space of a few weeks. What's next? Succumbing to Michael Bublé's entire Christmas album?
  • @Flex0r - Smoking causes Ca(rey)ncer.
  • @Nick Skyline
  • @GTFan24
  • @Northstar
  • @dlshearon
  • @Omnis - The radio station may be easy listening but the song sure isn't.
  • @epic_apri_39 - Another one-two punch from Wham and Mariah. Next time just keep the radio turned off.
  • @XJ40 - Mariah Carey gets you when you least expect it. Wham was just the warning.
  • @Bealdor
  • @GTFan24 - I don't want a lot for Christmas. There is just one thing I need. I don't care about the presents; I don't want to hear Christmas memes.
  • @Michelin - Mariah Carey joined the Party.
  • @ProjectWHaT
  • @Keef - We all know who he wants under his Christmas tree...

Standing Right Outside My Door (Sign-ups After December 1st)
Updated to post #290

Last edited:
Challenge accepted.

Edit: can you put a hotter pic of Maria up? She’s looking a bit fat next to that tree there.

Oh I'm in!

It's an even worse couple of first notes than Last Christmas, so it's going to be even more terrifying! Love it.

It's going to be so weird to almost "have permission" to get Whammed now. One terror is gone and replaced by a second, more disastrous one!

Oh I'm in!

It's an even worse couple of first notes than Last Christmas, so it's going to be even more terrifying! Love it.

It's going to be so weird to almost "have permission" to get Whammed now. One terror is gone and replaced by a second, more disastrous one!
I'm still going to internally cringe whenever I hear Last Christmas. It's been ingrained in me to avoid it for 10 Christmasses. :P

I'm still going to internally cringe whenever I hear Last Christmas. It's been ingrained in me to avoid it for 10 Christmasses. :P
Oh undoubtedly we all have a certain tick when it comes to those first few notes. I think the biggest issue for everyone is going to be learning the URL code for All I Want For Christmas Is You. I certainly have learned the first few letters of Last Christmas, so I know which links to avoid, but there's going to be an awkward few weeks while Mariah's isn't ingrained in our minds yet. :lol:

I missed out on last year. Sign me up y'all! Thanks.

From the time I started playing in 2014, I only won GTP v. Wham once last year. Kind of a shame we're not doing Wham this year given that there's a movie titled Last Christmas coming out.

Either way, count me in @Daniel.

I'll be hoping not to hear this song but I'll especially be hoping not to hear Last Christmas.
Both would be the case even if the game didn't exist.

Sign me up.

Sure why not.
I'm in.
Also @Daniel Docs? So it can be updated easily with multiple people helping?

That list of participants up there? Not that one, the other one. Yeah, that one. Add me to it, please.

There will be a UK television and radio advert this year featuring Carey flogging crisps... with the song.

No-one is safe. One "ting" is all it takes...

LET'S.

DO.

IT.

There will be a UK television and radio advert this year featuring Carey flogging crisps... with the song.

No-one is safe. One "ting" is all it takes...

Get Brexited, guys.

I'm sure to fail this one several times before the holiday season is through.

Count me in to avoid being carey'd away.

The new challenge is going to be an even tougher ask at work now.

Count me in.

Oh dear lord, this will be even worse than Wham... But anyway, I'll be willing to take the challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back