GTPlanet vs. Mariah Carey [2019]

• Thread starter Daniel
  • 350 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of Amsterdam, I've been curating my Christmas music USB drive for the year - amusingly neither Wham nor Carey were on it for last year - and discovered a jaunty Dutch Christmas song called "Flappie".

It's a very popular song in the Netherlands, recorded in 1978 by a comedian called Youp van t'Hek. Flappie is about a young boy and his pet rabbit, Flappie, who goes missing on Christmas Eve.

And also murder and cannibalism. Because the Dutch.
As a British agent deep behind Dutch lines I can confirm that Dutch Christmas is quickly ramping up to being the strangest December of my life. England's streets will be a welcome sight on the 23rd. If I hear Carey in the airport... Oh God, I hadn't even considered.

Headphones at ALL times during airport transit. I'm not out here to die like a fool.

Got Wham’d just but have not been Carey’d yet.

Been Wham'd Friday, but that's fine, I can stand it. Loads of close Carey calls, little to close for comfort. So I'm ditching the classic hits radio.

I just logged in for the first time in 5 years (back when GT5 was the game, and the race reports were fanfic like Cytranear and some other legends).

I think I got Whammed by iTunes shuffle, but I skipped it as soon as I recognized it. Seem to recall an old house rule from pre-2014 about being able to escape or skip it within a short amount of time, but the rules don't mention it.

Last year's was the best though. I was in BFE Arizona, at the Grand Canyon Caverns (no cell service, it's really remote) and Last Christmas comes on the tinny PA loudspeakers. Large flat area meant I couldn't escape fast enough... the song comes for us all.

I like the Carey'd rule, I'd sign up if I was still active here.

Next up - Santa Claus You ****ing ****! by Kevin Bloody Wilson
Slightly different vibe, and not played on general Christmas music rotation on radio and in stores - unlike Flappie. This cannibal song is mainstream Dutch Christmas music, as far as I can tell.

@Dennisch?

Well I made it a full three days into December before being Carey’d in a hotel in deepest darkest Yorkshire.

So I’m oot :rolleyes:

Well, not sure if this is the correct thread for it but:

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/whamageddon

Apparently the Wham version is on Know Your Meme now and we're credited as directly responsible in 2010.
Great to see, if a little inaccurate:

The origin is some punk rock forum. I don't know the URL, but the guy who introduced the challenge in the German gaming forum where I got it from said it was introduced in 2003.

https://www.whamageddon.com/ is new to me. They play the "easy" version (December 1st to December 24th) and don't want participants to wham other participants on purpose. Whamming on purpose is the best thing about the whole challenge. The later, the better.

I've sent a message to the Whamageddon page on Facebook to see where their version originated.

You're telling me it's...ok to get Whammed now?! I don't think I can handle this.

But I'm in if it still counts. Haven't heard the song yet, though I'm treading in hotter water because I like the song and so do a lot of the people I know.

God, I just now remembered we were doing this thing.

Am I way too outside the acceptable "After December 1st" signups time?

I have not heard "Last Christmas" nor Mariah Carey yet at this point.

You're telling me it's...ok to get Whammed now?! I don't think I can handle this.

But I'm in if it still counts. Haven't heard the song yet, though I'm treading in hotter water because I like the song and so do a lot of the people I know.

God, I just now remembered we were doing this thing.

Am I way too outside the acceptable "After December 1st" signups time?

I have not heard "Last Christmas" nor Mariah Carey yet at this point.

Absolutely. Have added you two to the post-December signups.

I asked the team behind Whamaggedon their origin and they say that the small group of friends who run their version have been playing it for such a long time, they can't exactly remember how they came across it. Each year they get a disgruntled message claiming that they stole the idea from someone who runs a competition avoiding Little Drummer Boy.

Thanks a bunch! About to go to a Christmas party.

Will let you know if this winds up being my famous last words!

Oh (Beep), christmas music at job started to sound!!! :eek::eek::eek:

tenor.gif

Been Carey'd twice now within 24 hours. Once at work, and just now at the house. A warning for anyone in the SE Michigan area who is still in or will coming through this area: avoid 103.9 WLEN Adrian. You will get Carey'd if you listen to that station.

Wasn't playing, but I heard the song yesterday. It was the first song that came on the radio when I was driving to the gym at night. I heard Wham twice days before that. That's a favorable ratio so far, so maybe some of you will be in luck this year.

Because I’m a doofus and forgot to sign up this year, I’ll be entering myself unnofficially as a personal challenge :lol:. Should be more interesting than Wham because to be perfectly honest, I just don’t think last Christmas ever got very big here. Can’t recall ever hearing it in shopping centres. Mariah Carey’s, however, is sure to be inescapable. :D

I heard a cover version of the song whilst I went shopping on Wednesday. I think that's called dodging a bullet?

Just got on the bus and the driver is listening to a radio station where the current programme is “100% Christmas music”. If I make it through the next hour without getting Carey’d then Christmas is truly a time of miracles.

Just got on the bus and the driver is listening to a radio station where the current programme is “100% Christmas music”. If I make it through the next hour without getting Carey’d then Christmas is truly a time of miracles.
Fingers in ears mate.

Fair warning brothers:

If any of you frequent the Grand Tour sub on Reddit, do NOT click on the "heading into christmas" thing. Or do, it's up to you, but I warned you. Somebody is being devious.

I was Whammed yesterday at work, and this morning in the space of 10 minutes I've been both Whammed and Careyed at the airport. Bastards.

This is the correct spelling. Doesn't matter if it ends in a -y; play/played. Those who subscribe to the cult of Carey'd will be hanged.

Also, Christmas party tonight so I am a dead man walking. It's only a matter of time.

Whammed myself cycling through radio stations in my mom's car. Heard a second of Last Christmas, and kicked myself afterwards.

Welp, that's another loss for me on that front.

Still haven't been Careyed. Also, still haven't done my Christmas shopping, nor the second Christmas party I usually attend this month. Not to mention, I have a coworker that absolutely LOVES playing Christmas music on his phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back