GTR Revival from Ian Bell with the original GTR2/SimBin crew announced

• Thread starter Jtheripper
  • 704 comments
After what Ian did with pCARS 3, not putting any hope on it. I'll just wait till it gets released and see what they done with it.

*Edit
I guess the March 31st tweet is probably related to this too:

Last edited:
After what Ian did with pCARS 3, not putting any hope on it. I'll just wait till it gets released and see what they done with it.

*Edit
I guess the March 31st tweet is probably related to this too:

Darn you! I was trying to keep my expectations low and now I am really hyped!

..I have no preference regarding Ian Bell himself, but the original GTR2 was one of the best racing games I've ever played. And so was NFS Shift.. PCars.. I always hated it because I couldn't find some good FFB settings. Now regarding PCars3 I think that he was the scapegoat due to lack of resources / time / publishing issues... I mean you really can't mess up something that bad!

To sum up, I am not hyped, but a good outcome could come out of this.

I wonder what sort of licensing on which motorsport series they will obtain?

As I know, the first two games had FIA GT.

I don’t know Ian Bell, but I am keen to see more racing sims as competition can only improve the whole genre. As I said before, good luck Ian, this is your chance to redeem yourself, let’s hope it is the spiritual PC4 As he promised.
Nobody has to put any money down until they have seen the reviews.

the only problem I see is that there's already a lot of racing games which include GT3s, unless they focus on classic cars, it might be hard to stand out

the only problem I see is that there's already a lot of racing games which include GT3s, unless they focus on classic cars, it might be hard to stand out
I think they are focusing on more stuff, the guy from Pretend Race Cars blog back then is somehow the lead designer for this. He did mention that it won't be another GT3 sim like ACC or R3E. Link to tweet:

ronald mcdonald lol GIF by McDonald's CZ/SK

I am thrilled, overwhelmed even, to have yet another GT racing game. Such an underrated category that doesn't get any attention

Attachments

• 20220808_230759.jpg
    20220808_230759.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 16
I'm living under the dark, who the heck is Bell and why is he utterly despised? It can't be just because of PC3 although that's a pretty valid reason.

I enjoyed my short (so far) experience with Project Cars 2. It's basically a better Pcars 1.

This thread was gold. Fair play to him for speaking up directly to the fanbase, but I'm not sure it helped his image much.

Man, they have all the insufferable jackasses working on this thing, don't they?
same jackass was consultant for pCARS 2, I remember that was the reason that blog was shut down because it will be seen as bashing on competitor product.

Why is every new sim title another FIA GT3 racing sim?! We have PLENTY. Not to mentions mods…

Why not license weather tech championship, or go back to an era and fully remodel 2000’s GT cars? Or a faithful recreation of BPR racing years? It’s always GT3 and always pushed for esports. GTR2 has for me grown into a 2000’s historic racing sim and its character is drawn from it, doubling down on it I think would actually help it given the over saturation in the sim market.

Last edited:
Why is every new sim title another FIA GT3 racing sim?! We have PLENTY. Not to mentions mods…

Why not license weather tech championship, or go back to an era and fully remodel 2000’s GT cars? Or a faithful recreation of BPR racing years? It’s always GT3 and always pushed for esports. GTR2 has for me grown into a 2000’s historic racing sim and its character is drawn from it, doubling down on it I think would actually help it given the over saturation in the sim market.
Blame racing organizers for having their heads so far up their own rear ends and demanding extortionate sums to license their series to developers.

Last edited:
Seeing a lot of people saying we don't need another GT3 sim, have they said that's what it'll be? I've only seen statements to the contrary.

If this is a real thing that goes somewhere, GTR Evolution is a good game to look at in terms of content (technically the 3rd 'GTR' franchise titled game):

Cars:
GT Pro

• Aston Martin DBR9
  • Audi R8 GT Concept
  • Corvette C5 R
  • Corvette C6 R
  • Dodge Viper GTS/R
  • Gumpert Apollo GT
  • Koenigsegg CCGT
  • Lister Storm
  • Saleen S7-R

GT Sport
  • BMW M3 GTR
  • Corvette C6 GT2
  • Marcos MarcoRelly GTS
  • Mosler MT900R
  • Seat Toledo GT
  • Spyker C8 Spyder GT2R
  • SunRed SR21

GT Club
  • Aston Martin DBRS9
  • BMW Z4 GTR
  • Dodge Viper Comp. Coupe
  • Gillet Vertigo
  • Marcos Marcorelly GTC
  • Seat Cupra GT

WTCC ‘06/’07
  • Alfa Romeo 156
  • Alfa Romeo 156 GTA
  • BMW 320si e90
  • BMW 320i e46
  • Chevrolet Lacetti
  • Honda Accord Euro-R
  • Peugeot 407
  • Seat León
  • Seat Toledo Cupra
WTCC ‘87
  • Alfa Romeo 75 turbo
  • BMW M3 e30

WTCC Extreme
  • Alfa Romeo 156 Extreme
  • BMW 320si Extreme
  • Chevrolet Lacetti Extreme
  • Seat León Extreme

Production Class
  • Audi R8
  • Dodge Viper SRT/10
  • Gumpert Apollo
  • Koenigsegg CCX
Formula 3000
- Lola B02/60

Formula BMW
- Formula BMW

Mini Cooper Challenge
- Mini Cooper S

Radical Sportscars
  • Radical SR3
  • Radical SR4

Caterham CSR
  • Caterham CSR200
  • Caterham CSR260
  • Caterham CSR320

Looks pretty akin to a pCars lite, with am emphasis on WTCC (now WTCR). Which makes sense as, although it was available standalone, it was effectively an expansion to Race 07. I wouldn't be too averse to a WTCR centric game with a few other bulked out real/fictional classes to muck around with.

Last edited:
Seeing a lot of people saying we don't need another GT3 sim, have they said that's what it'll be? I've only seen statements to the contrary.

If this is a real thing that goes somewhere, GTR Evolution is a good game to look at in terms of content (technically the 3rd 'GTR' franchise titled game):

Cars:
GT Pro

• Aston Martin DBR9
  • Audi R8 GT Concept
  • Corvette C5 R
  • Corvette C6 R
  • Dodge Viper GTS/R
  • Gumpert Apollo GT
  • Koenigsegg CCGT
  • Lister Storm
  • Saleen S7-R

GT Sport
  • BMW M3 GTR
  • Corvette C6 GT2
  • Marcos MarcoRelly GTS
  • Mosler MT900R
  • Seat Toledo GT
  • Spyker C8 Spyder GT2R
  • SunRed SR21

GT Club
  • Aston Martin DBRS9
  • BMW Z4 GTR
  • Gillet Vertigo
  • Marcos Marcorelly GTC
  • Seat Cupra GT

WTCC ‘06/’07
  • Alfa Romeo 156
  • Alfa Romeo 156 GTA
  • BMW 320si e90
  • BMW 320i e46
  • Chevrolet Lacetti
  • Honda Accord Euro-R
  • Peugeot 407
  • Seat León
  • Seat Toledo Cupra
WTCC ‘87
  • Alfa Romeo 75 turbo
  • BMW M3 e30

WTCC Extreme
  • Alfa Romeo 156 Extreme
  • BMW 320si Extreme
  • Seat León Extreme

Production Class
  • Audi R8
  • Dodge Viper SRT/10
  • Gumpert Apollo
  • Koenigsegg CCX
Formula 3000
- Lola B02/60

Formula BMW
- Formula BMW

Mini Cooper Challenge
- Mini Cooper S

Radical Sportscars
  • Radical SR3
  • Radical SR4

Caterham CSR
  • Caterham CSR200
  • Caterham CSR260
  • Caterham CSR320

Looks pretty akin to a pCars lite, with am emphasis on WTCC (now WTCR). Which makes sense as, although it was available standalone, it was effectively an expansion to Race 07. I wouldn't be too averse to a WTCR centric game with a few other bulked out real/fictional classes to muck around with.
Cool car list, anyone else missing cars now in pc2? No one in the pc2 tread seem to..

Im missing 959,961,carrera gt, quattro s1, rs200, ferrari 250gt, old lemans type ferrari,...the classic lemans track..

I'm living under the dark, who the heck is Bell and why is he utterly despised? It can't be just because of PC3 although that's a pretty valid reason.

I enjoyed my short (so far) experience with Project Cars 2. It's basically a better Pcars 1.
I advised on the original project Cars game, along with a few others (most notably Ben Collins).

My communication with Ian was mostly done online, so I can't really speak of how he actually behaves in person. That being said, him and I had butted heads a lot. I was subsequently not invited to work on project Cars 2, which actually started development before the first game's release. I know some people would simply say that the man over promises and under delivers, but I suspect there's more to it than that. He promises one thing, but actually has an entirely different set of goals in mind. He doesn't under deliver - he actually hits his mark when he wants to, but it's usually not the one you originally thought he was aiming for. He has what one might call 'alternative motives'.

I'm not a game developer, or a business executive. I'm a racing driver, so I was under the impression that my involvement in the project was to maximize the factors within the game relative to my domain, while constructively criticizing elements that seemingly steered the experience away from the fundamental ideals of the project. What I got wrong was what those ideals and objectives were, which (as it turns out) had nothing to do with what I had to offer.

I wish Ian and the crew good luck, and good fortune. As a potential customer, I want to see their projects succeed. Let's hope they can make it.

Cars:
GT Pro

• Aston Martin DBR9
  • Audi R8 GT Concept
  • Corvette C5 R
  • Corvette C6 R
  • Dodge Viper GTS/R
  • Gumpert Apollo GT
  • Koenigsegg CCGT
  • Lister Storm
  • Saleen S7-R

GT Sport
  • BMW M3 GTR
  • Corvette C6 GT2
  • Marcos MarcoRelly GTS
  • Mosler MT900R
  • Seat Toledo GT
  • Spyker C8 Spyder GT2R
  • SunRed SR21

GT Club
  • Aston Martin DBRS9
  • BMW Z4 GTR
  • Gillet Vertigo
  • Marcos Marcorelly GTC
  • Seat Cupra GT

WTCC ‘06/’07
  • Alfa Romeo 156
  • Alfa Romeo 156 GTA
  • BMW 320si e90
  • BMW 320i e46
  • Chevrolet Lacetti
  • Honda Accord Euro-R
  • Peugeot 407
  • Seat León
  • Seat Toledo Cupra
WTCC ‘87
  • Alfa Romeo 75 turbo
  • BMW M3 e30

WTCC Extreme
  • Alfa Romeo 156 Extreme
  • BMW 320si Extreme
  • Seat León Extreme

Production Class
  • Audi R8
  • Dodge Viper SRT/10
  • Gumpert Apollo
  • Koenigsegg CCX
Formula 3000
- Lola B02/60

Formula BMW
- Formula BMW

Mini Cooper Challenge
- Mini Cooper S

Radical Sportscars
  • Radical SR3
  • Radical SR4

Caterham CSR
  • Caterham CSR200
  • Caterham CSR260
  • Caterham CSR320

The track list wasn't exactly shoddy either...

WTCC ‘06/’07
  • Anderstorp, Sweden
  • Brands-Hatch, UK
  • Brno, Czech Republic
  • Curitiba, Brazil
  • Istanbul, Turkey
  • Macau, Macau
  • Magny-Cours, France
  • Monza, Italy
  • Oschersleben, Germany
  • Pau, France
  • Porto, Portugal
  • Puebla, Mexico
  • Valencia, Spain
  • Zandvoort, Netherlands

Nürburgring
  • Nürburgring Nordschleife
  • Nürburgring GP
  • Nürburgring Endurance Layout
Additional Tracks
  • Estoril, Portugal
  • Imola, Italy
  • Vara Raceway, Sweden

Alternate Layouts
  • Brands Hatch Indy
  • Curitiba Oval
  • Curitiba Reverse
  • Monza Reverse
  • Monza Junior
  • Macau Reverse
  • Magny Cours National
  • Oschersleben B-Course 06
  • Oschersleben Reverse 06
  • Oschersleben B-Course 07
  • Oschersleben Reverse 07
  • Puebla Oval
  • Puebla Special
  • Valencia Nacional
  • Valencia Long
  • Valencia Reverse
  • Zandvoort Club

...it's actually got me messing around with Race '07 and the GTR Evolution stuff tonight, damn Race '07 is still fun and has some great mods as well (Birmingham Superprix included).

Cars:
GT Pro

• Aston Martin DBR9
  • Audi R8 GT Concept
  • Corvette C5 R
  • Corvette C6 R
  • Dodge Viper GTS/R
  • Gumpert Apollo GT
  • Koenigsegg CCGT
  • Lister Storm
  • Saleen S7-R

GT Sport
  • BMW M3 GTR
  • Corvette C6 GT2
  • Marcos MarcoRelly GTS
  • Mosler MT900R
  • Seat Toledo GT
  • Spyker C8 Spyder GT2R
  • SunRed SR21

GT Club
  • Aston Martin DBRS9
  • BMW Z4 GTR
  • Gillet Vertigo
  • Marcos Marcorelly GTC
  • Seat Cupra GT

WTCC ‘06/’07
  • Alfa Romeo 156
  • Alfa Romeo 156 GTA
  • BMW 320si e90
  • BMW 320i e46
  • Chevrolet Lacetti
  • Honda Accord Euro-R
  • Peugeot 407
  • Seat León
  • Seat Toledo Cupra
WTCC ‘87
  • Alfa Romeo 75 turbo
  • BMW M3 e30

WTCC Extreme
  • Alfa Romeo 156 Extreme
  • BMW 320si Extreme
  • Seat León Extreme

Production Class
  • Audi R8
  • Dodge Viper SRT/10
  • Gumpert Apollo
  • Koenigsegg CCX
Formula 3000
- Lola B02/60

Formula BMW
- Formula BMW

Mini Cooper Challenge
- Mini Cooper S

Radical Sportscars
  • Radical SR3
  • Radical SR4

Caterham CSR
  • Caterham CSR200
  • Caterham CSR260
  • Caterham CSR320

It would be great to see all these cars again.

Does he have money? iRacing are using (V8)Supercars. There were some in PC3 and Grid. Wonder if they'll be able to use the series in full.

sigh here we go again..... he really needs to stop riding on the coattails of SIMBIN still, seriously... those games were developed and sold 17 years ago? for real perspective, he should rather say that he's bringing a new GTR game from the same dev team that brought you Project Cars 3 and Fast & Furious Crossroads, this is their real legacy to the gaming community in recent times.

Last edited:
The track list wasn't exactly shoddy either...

WTCC ‘06/’07
  • Anderstorp, Sweden
  • Brands-Hatch, UK
  • Brno, Czech Republic
  • Curitiba, Brazil
  • Istanbul, Turkey
  • Macau, Macau
  • Magny-Cours, France
  • Monza, Italy
  • Oschersleben, Germany
  • Pau, France
  • Porto, Portugal
  • Puebla, Mexico
  • Valencia, Spain
  • Zandvoort, Netherlands

Nürburgring
  • Nürburgring Nordschleife
  • Nürburgring GP
  • Nürburgring Endurance Layout
Additional Tracks
  • Estoril, Portugal
  • Imola, Italy
  • Vara Raceway, Sweden

Alternate Layouts
  • Brands Hatch Indy
  • Curitiba Oval
  • Curitiba Reverse
  • Monza Reverse
  • Monza Junior
  • Macau Reverse
  • Magny Cours National
  • Oschersleben B-Course 06
  • Oschersleben Reverse 06
  • Oschersleben B-Course 07
  • Oschersleben Reverse 07
  • Puebla Oval
  • Puebla Special
  • Valencia Nacional
  • Valencia Long
  • Valencia Reverse
  • Zandvoort Club

...it's actually got me messing around with Race '07 and the GTR Evolution stuff tonight, damn Race '07 is still fun and has some great mods as well (Birmingham Superprix included).
I didn't know some series ran in reverse well knowned tracks like monza and macau. That be interesting, i never seen this in sims as i can remember at least.

Macau would be crazy for car racing. I don't remember running on it in a car racing sim period.
Then again im old, memory.....

Back