GTR Revival from Ian Bell with the original GTR2/SimBin crew announced

• Thread starter Jtheripper
  • 704 comments
I didn't know some series ran in reverse well knowned tracks like monza and macau. That be interesting, i never seen this in sims as i can remember at least.
I don't recall them actually doing so, just the reverse layouts being in the title, licences were not quite as demanding back then.
Macau would be crazy for car racing. I don't remember running on it in a car racing sim period.
Then again im old, memory.....
From memory it's been in (as official content) Race '07 (etc.) and RaceRoom, it, along with Pau (also a tight and twisty street circuit) are both excellent fun but need a reasonably competent AI. My Weekly Sim Racing News video this week (should be up later today) will have some Race 07 Macau footage in it.

I don't recall them actually doing so, just the reverse layouts being in the title, licences were not quite as demanding back then.

From memory it's been in (as official content) Race '07 (etc.) and RaceRoom, it, along with Pau (also a tight and twisty street circuit) are both excellent fun but need a reasonably competent AI. My Weekly Sim Racing News video this week (should be up later today) will have some Race 07 Macau footage in it.
I see, i almost got race 07 back in the day, i should have. Pau, ill have to check it out, i don't remember that one as well.

sigh here we go again..... he really needs to stop riding on the coattails of SIMBIN still, seriously... those games were developed and sold 17 years ago? for real perspective, he should rather say that he's bringing a new GTR game from the same dev team that brought you Project Cars 3 and Fast & Furious Crossroads, this is their real legacy to the gaming community in recent times.
yes.

And I really do hope it will be Madbox exclusive!

I don't know the full story behind PC3, but is it really Ian's fault for the game being so bad? Wasn't the launch of the game right before the SMS buyout? There's just a lot of gray area to put 100% blame on 1 person. The dudes track record for games has been extremely good leading up to PC3. PC2 is still one of my favorite games on PC due to all the mod support.

I don't know the full story behind PC3, but is it really Ian's fault for the game being so bad? Wasn't the launch of the game right before the SMS buyout? There's just a lot of gray area to put 100% blame on 1 person. The dudes track record for games has been extremely good leading up to PC3. PC2 is still one of my favorite games on PC due to all the mod support.
He was lying about PC3 being SO MUCH realistic. So yeah he is one of many to blame.

I don't know the full story behind PC3, but is it really Ian's fault for the game being so bad?

I can only speak for myself but he announced around 2 years before release that PC3 will be a spiritual successor to the Shift games and personally i really liked the tuning and progression of the Shift games but disliked a bit the driving/physics so i always wanted to have a Shift style game with proper physics and 10 years after Shift 2 i got exactly that with PC3. So for me Ian delivered what he has promised. He also promised out of the box good working pad controls and that also got delivered with PC3 which for me was the first SMS game with great pad controls without fiddling around for hours. :)

Last edited:
mostly Ian's dishonesty on it being still a proper hardcore sim killed it for the fan base. If they are being honest of it going a more arcade route, the sales will still be bad but ppl will probably hate him less.

But then I do think pCARS 3 was somehow rushed out to complete whatever publishing contract Bandai has with SMS after Codemasters bought them.

His track record is good but I don't really want to trust what he says after pCARS 3 and FnF Crossroads, he did claim FnF Crossroads is going to be better and compete with NFS but it turn up worse than the worst NFS.

He was lying about PC3 being SO MUCH realistic. So yeah he is one of many to blame.
mostly Ian's dishonesty on it being still a proper hardcore sim killed it for the fan base. If they are being honest of it going a more arcade route, the sales will still be bad but ppl will probably hate him less.

But then I do think pCARS 3 was somehow rushed out to complete whatever publishing contract Bandai has with SMS after Codemasters bought them.

His track record is good but I don't really want to trust what he says after pCARS 3 and FnF Crossroads, he did claim FnF Crossroads is going to be better and compete with NFS but it turn up worse than the worst NFS.

I remember early on with PC3, he mentioned it would be a complete sim, but I thought that was before any mention of a buyout. As soon as word got out, then more and more details about the game were revealed, and the goal kinda shifted with the game. It wanted to be more competitive with Forza and Gran Turismo. That's why I found it extremely ironic. I can't help but think that Ian was just a puppet to get people to buy the game, knowing that he probably had no control over the new direction.

I can only speak for myself but he announced around 2 years before release that PC3 will be a spiritual successor to the Shift games and personally i really liked the tuning and progression of the Shift games but disliked a bit the driving/physics so i always wanted to have a Shift style game with proper physics and 10 years after Shift 2 i got exactly that with PC3. So for me Ian delivered what he has promised. He also promised out of the box good working pad controls and that also got delivered with PC3 which for me was the first SMS game with great pad controls without fiddling around for hours. :)
I thought NFS Shift was a pretty good game at the time. However, I thought PC3 was terrible. Especially after how good PC2 was.

I remember early on with PC3, he mentioned it would be a complete sim, but I thought that was before any mention of a buyout. As soon as word got out, then more and more details about the game were revealed, and the goal kinda shifted with the game. It wanted to be more competitive with Forza and Gran Turismo. That's why I found it extremely ironic. I can't help but think that Ian was just a puppet to get people to buy the game, knowing that he probably had no control over the new direction.
What details of the game before release?

Apart from claiming that it would be 'all the sim we wanted' and other such broad, bold, sweeping claims, SMS was almost silent on the detail behind it prior to release, I know because I made a video raising concerns about just that a week before PC3 released.

It's also not possible to transition a title that late in the day, the Forza/GT targeting was baked into the development early, it had to be, they (SMS) then engaged in what was one of the single most misleading marketing campaigns seen in sim racing. The annoying thing was that PC3 wasn't a terrible title, it just wasn't what they (mainly Nathan and Ian Bell) claimed it was.

What details of the game before release?

Apart from claiming that it would be 'all the sim we wanted' and other such broad, bold, sweeping claims, SMS was almost silent on the detail behind it prior to release, I know because I made a video raising concerns about just that a week before PC3 released.

It's also not possible to transition a title that late in the day, the Forza/GT targeting was baked into the development early, it had to be, they (SMS) then engaged in what was one of the single most misleading marketing campaigns seen in sim racing. The annoying thing was that PC3 wasn't a terrible title, it just wasn't what they (mainly Nathan and Ian Bell) claimed it was.

Ok that makes Sense now. I got my timing off. I remember reading a tweet a while back about the next project cars game being the most realistic and complete sim. Turns out that was him talking about PC4 right after PC3 got released lol. I thought a few months before PC3 released and they mentioned the buyout, that they started telling people that tire wear and pit stops weren’t in the game etc?

I thought a few months before PC3 released and they mentioned the buyout, that they started telling people that tire wear and pit stops weren’t in the game etc?
They did, while also telling people it was all the sim you would ever want/need, and the buyout was far too late in the day to have influenced any of that at all.

I thought NFS Shift was a pretty good game at the time. However, I thought PC3 was terrible. Especially after how good PC2 was.

The worst thing for me were the complete nonsens default setups and i was tired of fiddling around before beeing able to enjoy the cars. In PC3 the setups are like the pad controls > work great out of the box so for me PC3 is my favourite of all Pcars games but thats just me.

PC3 for me is Pcars + great pad controls + great default setups + tuning parts + cool livery editor + nice progression system

I honestly do not understand why people say PC3 is sooo bad lol

Just get over the name and look at it as "Shift 3" and have fun ^^

Last edited:
The worst thing for me were the complete nonsens default setups and i was tired of fiddling around before beeing able to enjoy the cars. In PC3 the setups are like the pad controls > work great out of the box so for me PC3 is my favourite of all Pcars games but thats just me.

PC3 for me is Pcars + great pad controls + great default setups + tuning parts + cool livery editor + nice progression system

Just get over the name and see it as Shift 3 and have fun ^^
Let me try and break it down compared to pCARS 2;

• Worse career mode with super short sprints
  • No endurance modes
  • No tire wear and pit stops = no strategy management
  • Fixed classes scrapped for a free for all
  • Performance Index system completely screwing up balancing
  • No mechanical damage
  • Visual damage downgrades
  • In-race objectives that encourage aggressive driving

The final nails in the coffin being the blatant marketing lies and the belittling of the core fanbase that publicly called out SMS on what was a complete disaster and deserved them to be rightfully punished.

Last edited:
As i said for me its the long awaited "successor" to Shift 2 with proper great physics so I'm happy with it. For me it makes no sense to see it as a Pcars2 successor especially since Ian announced it years before release as spiritual successor to the Shift games so i do not understand at all why people hoped to get a Pcars2 successor and every game site in the internet wrote an article about that specific Twitter post of him so theres no way that people did not know about what it will be in the end.

Last edited:
What ever happened to his console that was going to take over the world?

What is with his Putin style profile pic for twitter?

I actually liked Pc2.

Just get over the name and look at it as "Shift 3" and have fun ^^
I coming from a PC / wheel / 3 monitors opinion. It was very buggy for me. Wheel physics weren’t as good as it predecessors IMO. PC2 was pretty bad in the beginning, but the custom profiles available now, make it just as good as Assetto Corsa. I’m glad you enjoy the game honestly. It just wasn’t what I was expecting and I held to a higher standard.

Well we did get pc2, the most feature rich, content rich, complete, cool sim on console at least.

So it's worth checking out how it will come out.
If it can be the pc2 equivalent we got on last gen consoles, but for newgen, with newgen level sounds, finish, ai, physics, features, then it will be worth it.

If it doesn't come out on consoles well ill drop my interest and be disappointed if it seems good and i miss out.
Not sure if they said if it would come out on consoles..

Plus simbin did my favorite sims in past with gt legends and gtr1. So cross fingers..

Last edited:
I remember early on with PC3, he mentioned it would be a complete sim, but I thought that was before any mention of a buyout.
Before the buyout all we know is it will be a successor to SHIFT 2, no other details other than that. I think most fans expectation hearing that was just inclusion of vehicle upgrades and probably a better career mode where you build up your car. No one expecting it to remove a chunk of features that were available in pCARS2.

But when the first gameplay released, the fan base has been asking on why are the pitstops closed. Some thought it could be a new option to close it while others are suspecting it is removed, when asked Ian kinda just said it is still all the sim we wanted. When it is revealed they remove it then the fan base started calling him a liar.

I wonder if Ian Bell’s business model can survive the likely complete lack of pre-orders (not that many idiots left who trust a word he says without hard evidence) and most of the base waiting until the laundry list of likely bugs actually get fixed instead of trusting him to do it AFTER they give him their money?

The wise amongst us won’t be buying this until it has been out almost a year and the bugs actually fixed. Which basically means, no sales. Ever.

I have never played any GTR title. But anything involving Ian Bell has to be looked at with some skepticism. Q4 2024 is a long way away. Plenty of time for the whole thing to implode.

I really dislike game developers like Ian Bell. He is the type of guy which posts online and trys to generate hype and high expectations just by claiming his next game (or console!!) will be the greatest thing ever. And then... well, we have already seen how this turns out...

I think he should deliver something amazing first. After that he can talk as much as he pleases. But without delivering, these are propably just empty words yet again.

Particularly in the case of Ian Bell, but to be quite honest, it applies across the board….

The ONLY thing you should trust is widespread agreement from the players (stay away from any game websites run by the developer!) that a game is brilliant, and even then, wait four months or so for the initial glow to fade and the show stopping bugs and poor game design to be discovered.

After that, you MIGHT actually be getting an honest impression. You will NEVER get one from Ian Bell.

View attachment 1194495

.. and people give Kaz ****
The watermark had me curious, so I did some digging around and found what I believe is the stock image for this:

1664441621043.png

Last edited:
The watermark had me curious, so I did some digging around and found what I believe is the stock image for this:

View attachment 1196193
Pretty much, aside from cutting down the horizontal part of the G to make it level with the center of the R (which throws off the visual balance of the G and actually makes it look worse, ironically). Not that it really matters much since it's most likely a placeholder and will likely be forgotten if they ever have an actual product to show at some point.

(not that I expect an actual product to appear anytime soon, of course)

Last edited:
Back