Halo 2 pirated

• Thread starter Tom M
  • 27 comments
That sucks.I already knew about this,read it today but still i don't think it will have any consequences.Everyone who wants Halo 2 will go out and buy it.Atleast if you want to play online.I sure as hell will.

The same thing happened with Doom3 on PC as I recall. I don't think it affected sales that much. Most gamers aren't really into the pirate scene and wouldn't even know where to look for these things. And even fewer console gamers. I think most of the people who are downloading it now are probably the ones who would have downloaded it anyway, rather than simply buy it. I'll never figure out the mindset of the people who simply refuse to pay for anything at all (music, movies, software, games, etc) because they can get it online.

Like previously said, hopefully it won't affect the release date.

Jedi2016
I'll never figure out the mindset of the people who simply refuse to pay for anything at all (music, movies, software, games, etc) because they can get it online.

You answered your own question.

Allready pre-ordered the limited edition anyway :D

Most gamers aren't really into the pirate scene and wouldn't even know where to look for these things

That I find hard to believe, I'm sure most people have heard of bit torrent, kazaa etc etc etc

True, but that's not where I'd look.. 95% of the stuff on Kazaa is fake or corrupted anyway.

My point in the "refuse to pay for anything" comment was simply that people are idiots.. while it's true they're getting it for free, what they're getting is sub-par compared to what they can just buy in the store for a measly twenty bucks or so. Take a movie, for example. The "free" version is highly compressed, looks like crap by comparison to the original, and is lacking many of the standard features (like DTS, subtitles, even menus are missing sometimes). Or a game, like "Halo 2".. sure, you'll get to play the game a whopping month ahead of everyone else. Who cares? The game you'll get will probably be buggy, glitching, will no doubt freeze every now and then (especially seeing as how it's an unfinished build). Or MP3's.. sure, they've got decent quality, but even a 320K MP3 can't compare to uncompressed CD Audio. And it can't hold a candle next to DVDAudio or SACD.

My point was simply that yes, the stuff online is free. But in most cases, it's also crap compared to what you can just go buy.

code_kev
Allready pre-ordered the limited edition anyway :D

That I find hard to believe, I'm sure most people have heard of bit torrent, kazaa etc etc etc

A burning cow? Whats with the cows code??? :)

Anyway, "most" gamers wont know about it could have been true say 3-4 years ago, Look at the number of pirated movies, they are finally running ads about stopping it.

I think its funny though. The same thing happed with Juiced for Xbox and no one cared. Now that I think about it maybe thats why its cbeing re coded and improved for its summer 05 release. Halo2 in 05, It could happen.

I dont think any halo fan would walk into a friends dorm room and not want to play it if a friend of a friend who knows a guy gave him the game.

this is from bungie's site:

"Microsoft is currently engaged in a full scale investigation and to those foolish enough to partake in this piracy, you will soon witness the firepower of this fully operational battle station."

+10 points for a good star wars quote.

I can just imagine a SWAT team breaching these guy's doors and reading them their rights at gunpoint, while a Minibus full of steel-faced lawyers awaits on the streets outside their appartment.

...And then Bill gates arrives via experimental hoverjet and personally *****-slaps them with his powered exo-skeleton.

Microsoft is scary.

Very true. The leak had to come from someone at Bungee or Microsoft. It'll probably be pretty easy to trace where it came from, too. Since this is most likely an early build (there's no indication of the game having "gone gold" yet), there's probably some sort of ID marker in the software somewhere that will indicate to whom the build was given. That person will probably end up in the middle of a massive lawsuit and/or jail time. Wouldn't be the first time it's happened.

Jedi2016
Very true. The leak had to come from someone at Bungee or Microsoft. It'll probably be pretty easy to trace where it came from, too. Since this is most likely an early build (there's no indication of the game having "gone gold" yet), there's probably some sort of ID marker in the software somewhere that will indicate to whom the build was given. That person will probably end up in the middle of a massive lawsuit and/or jail time. Wouldn't be the first time it's happened.

The game is gone gold, as of this week. It's in Microsoft certification and inspection phase (they do this to all first party games, they wring em out for reliability and bugs). So it's a complete build.

And it was apparently leaked in Europe, so it would be someone involved in the Localisation that they are currently doing. He/they are in big **** if they get caught.

LaBounti
Is that a Helgast troop.

nope. A member of the "the wolf brigade" from the film Jin Roh, by Mamoru Oshii (creator director of Akira, Director of the Ghost in the Shell film). I suggest you rent it, if you like anime or good film-making in general. BTW, the guy in my avatar is the protagonist. Pretty bad ass, no?

The makers of Killzone were wise to use such an awesome source of inspiration.

*back to the topic

It sucks that the guys at bungie have to deal with this after all their hard work is completed. I'd be super pissed off if I were them

"Microsoft is currently engaged in a full scale investigation and to those foolish enough to partake in this piracy, you will soon witness the firepower of this fully operational battle station."

Sure they can look on kazaa, and all those other idiot file sharing programs, but they could never stop the spread of the game in newsgroups :indiff: you would think that if anyone could keep a game seceret it would be microsoft. are the game leakers/coders getting better or is the software company's not doing a good job keeping their games seceret?

DJM PRODUCTIONS

Sure they can look on kazaa, and all those other idiot file sharing programs, but they could never stop the spread of the game in newsgroups :indiff: you would think that if anyone could keep a game seceret it would be microsoft. are the game leakers/coders getting better or is the software company's not doing a good job keeping their games seceret?

they probably have very scary ways of "investigating" this affair.

The game is in French however English subtitles are available...Microsoft are very pissed about this, you would think they would be hush hush enough to not let it get out a month early.... ;)

Lots of people who'll download it will also buy it. Imagine if GT4 was downloadable at this instant. I'd be trying to download it. That however doesn't mean I'll cancel my preorders and or won't buy the first copy I come across in the shops. It's just a matter of getting your hands on it sooner, waiting sucks. ;)

I believe that Halo 2 is Gold, they just need the extra 2 weeks to print the sheer number of copies needed. (normally gold is announce about 2 weeks prior rather than 4)
Basically the entire game is intact, only the multiplayer is out (online, not LAN) because Live! is aware of all modchips currently available. This is going to be a huge blow just because of all the people that absolutely can't wait to play it. I do however beleive that MS is going to drop the hammer on piracy this time though, and nobody should underestimate that. Halo 2 is the last ditch effort to get a stronger foothold into the console market and MS knows this.

In the .nfo it

Languages: uk fr ger ita spa

And I read a couple times its in french. Does that mean it will be in french but you can have those different sub titles? Or is their an option to change the language to all english?

Brandono
In the .nfo it

Languages: uk fr ger ita spa

And I read a couple times its in french. Does that mean it will be in french but you can have those different sub titles? Or is their an option to change the language to all english?

I think that the language settings will have a default language set to whatever country you live in, and then you will be able to change it to a couple of others under the options menu. it will probably be in English as a standard for north america, French for france because bungie is french based anyway and then as a default language of english or german for the rest of europe. it could all be blank and then set up @ the beginning of the game too, who knows.

PublicSecrecy
I think that the language settings will have a default language set to whatever country you live in, and then you will be able to change it to a couple of others under the options menu. it will probably be in English as a standard for north america, French for france because bungie is french based anyway and then as a default language of english or german for the rest of europe. it could all be blank and then set up @ the beginning of the game too, who knows.

Bungie is based in Redmond, Washington. They were formerly set up in Chicago. They are not from France (well, they might have some french team members, I dunno).

kinigitt
Bungie is based in Redmond, Washington. They were formerly set up in Chicago. They are not from France (well, they might have some french team members, I dunno).

dear lord i hope your right! to think that the greatest game franchise ever, was created by Frenchman! :yuck: :crazy: :scared:

The pirated copy is in FRENCH AUDIO, with English subtitles optional, and I'm sure almost all the people who download this release is probably only to try it out, then buy it when it comes out. :)

kinigitt
What would be so bad about that?

Good games is good games...

nothing, except the US government did a little French demonizing a ways back when they were pretending there were WOMD's (because President Bush can't say Nuclear.)
They even went so far as to change the name of french fries to "Freedom Fries" in the whitehouse and other gullible pseudo patriotic food dispensory locations around the US.
So now, more than ever before (we were still apparently PO'ed over WWII), the US bashes France as a whole and probably vice versa.

Tom M
nothing, except the US government did a little French demonizing a ways back when they were pretending there were WOMD's (because President Bush can't say Nuclear.)
They even went so far as to change the name of french fries to "Freedom Fries" in the whitehouse and other gullible pseudo patriotic food dispensory locations around the US.
So now, more than ever before (we were still apparently PO'ed over WWII), the US bashes France as a whole and probably vice versa.

Yeah I heard a little about the freedom fries a couple years ago. I thought it was a joke. :scared:

Being in Quebec, I'm surrounded by french people (although they're a different breed than the european ones). I don't know why Americans hate them so much.

Ubisoft Montreal is headed up by mainly french people. They were responsible for Splinter Cell, Rainbow six 3 (xbox version), and Prince of Persia: Sands of time. So having french people on Bungie's team wouldn't be so bad. Their lead animators are canadian, and their lead artist is korean I think.

Back