Has Gran Turismo affected your music taste?

Has Gran Turismo affected your music taste?

• Yes; it introduced me to songs/artists which I still like

Votes: 135 61.1%
  • No; I have never cared for any of the music in GT

Votes: 38 17.2%
  • I enjoy the music in GT but none of it is my favourite

Votes: 28 12.7%
  • There is music in GT that I like but wasn't introduced to it by GT

Votes: 20 9.0%

• Total voters
As I was a teenager during the span of GT1 to GT3, when I hear the music today from those games, my nostalgia meter breaks.

Of the modern GT's, I do love that they put The Entertainer in GT Auto from GT5.

Feeder are my favourite band.

I first came across their songs before Gran Turismo but I first heard Sweet16 on the original game and I've loved it and them ever since. Have all their albums, been to see them live multiple times, still go wild if I'm drunk and it comes on in a place or if I'm just driving around and it comes on the radio or shuffle if I'm listening to songs on my phone.

I have Gran Turismo to thank for that.

Who can forget GT3's intro? Just a Day, absolutely glorious.

subjective feelings can't be false...try again.
It's not subjective, you made an objective statement that the music " sounds like.... corporate license-free music" when in fact it's mostly indie artist who are as far away from corporate as possible. That being said its still awful, just not in the stale corporate garbage way.
Also whoever said GT2 had a good soundtrack is looking through rose-tinted glasses, that game had like 6 songs, half of the songs listed in the credits aren't even featured in-game INCLUDING my favorite game, which is not present in ANY version while racing.

Last edited:
Feeder are my favourite band.

I first came across their songs before Gran Turismo but I first heard Sweet16 on the original game and I've loved it and them ever since. Have all their albums, been to see them live multiple times, still go wild if I'm drunk and it comes on in a place or if I'm just driving around and it comes on the radio or shuffle if I'm listening to songs on my phone.

I have Gran Turismo to thank for that.

Who can forget GT3's intro? Just a Day, absolutely glorious.

Feeder, one of the best bands to me, they really do put me into rock

I admit I didn't know about them before GT1, and really falled in love because of GT3 soundtrack (as you said, just a day intro, I remember putting TV volume all way up hahaha)

Seen them first time in Paris in 2003 @ new morning, been gone several times in UK just to see them (Brighton Dome, Sheffield's Leadmill -such a glorious roadtrip- , etc...), and will see them in a month in Paris :D

Listen to this sweet 16 live version, so much energy !

It's not subjective, you made an objective statement that the music " sounds like.... corporate license-free music" when in fact it's mostly indie artist who are as far away from corporate as possible. That being said its still awful, just not in the stale corporate garbage way.
Also whoever said GT2 had a good soundtrack is looking through rose-tinted glasses, that game had like 6 songs, half of the songs listed in the credits aren't even featured in-game INCLUDING my favorite game, which is not present in ANY version while racing.
Wrong again, my subjective opinion was never presented as an objective fact. Please reread the original post, there's two words you are not processing, "to me".

Absolutely yes, man. But I'm little disappointed no Daiki Kasho's new songs in GTS.
Yeah true but he has made plenty of great ones. Also check out Jon Underdown's band 'Fade' and Ray Hikari's bands 'Station of Revenge' and 'Distant Bonds' if you like the songs with them.

MMX
One I do like, don't know the name of it, but they say murder a lot, has a good beat.
They say murder a lot? Car related? Must be this gem :-D

This song has naughty words...... And is pretty bad.....

More to topic, Thunder in the Rain just won't escape my brain. But i haven't sought it out as the game plays it quite a lot.

Never listen to GT music. Generally when I GT race, I pop on the Pandora on my phone and blue tooth it to a wireless speaker that I have Velcroed to the top of my steering wheel base. It's my real car radio simulator.

Not in the slightest bit, because:

1) i used to drift only in GT5/6 and while drifting i always used my own custom music playlists (turning off ingame music and connecting my Astro AMP to an alternate audio source such as Spotify,...).

2) when doing time trials/qualifying/racing, there is only 1 kind of music I like & that's the music created by the engine of the car I'm driving in (in other words I mute music and the only sounds I hear is the car's engine and the screeching of my tyres).

It was confirmed that GT Sport influenced my musical tastes when I heard songs in my personal, non-gaming playlists appear in the GT Sport menu music.

If I had to choose one favorite for the series:

However, GT Sport has given me some really good additions:

Someone also mentioned the Stephane Pompougnac song. All in all, I think GTS menu music offers more songs that I could play with another listener around without getting the "WTF are we listening to" look.

Earlier entries? Definitely. But I HAAATE the soundtracks from GT5 on. Very few songs since GT5 make me want to actually race, and I find the menu music in GTS to be absolutely horrific for a racing game. Get. It. Ouuuttt.

It has, for better and for worse. The PS1 games in particular have stuck with me, to the point I made sure the GT1 menu music replaced GT5 and GT6's on my PS3. The in-race music from that era was good too, in a very of-the-time way.

I think the music selection in the later titles took too much inspiration from the game design itself; the playlist swelled to try to take in every possible genre, the same way the car list covered everything in the automotive world. I understand why it was done, but it meant the soundtrack lacked a distinctive personality the way the older games did.

I don't really like most of GT Sport's music. Some of the menu stuff is okay — it makes me realize how "background menu music" is a very hard thing to nail. It's like a good font for a novel, in the sense that, if it does its job, you barely notice it, but it nonetheless contributes to the experience.

I can't really say any of the racing music of the games from the past decade have influenced my listening habits. The Chemical Brothers' "Escape Velocity" showed up in GT5, but I've been listening to them since Wipeout XL. Between that and GT, I'd say racing games in general have influenced my tastes, though.

Yeah true but he has made plenty of great ones. Also check out Jon Underdown's band 'Fade' and Ray Hikari's bands 'Station of Revenge' and 'Distant Bonds' if you like the songs with them.
Jon Underdown has also recently been on the OST of Sonic Forces as well, btw, singing on the stages Space Port and Capital City. He also sung a live version of "Fist Bump" at TGS last year.

As for no new Daiki Kasho songs in Sport... that isn't quite true.

That, and the end race music you hear in Sport Mode and in GT League, it definitely is him, no doubt.

@SlipZtrEm GT1 was almost mysterious for me as a kid and to this day the strongest identiy: car dealership music, rock and industrial music.

The Honda and TVR dealership themes were considerably moodier than the other bright themes. The Honda theme in particular would always make me feel sad for some reason.

GT1, 3 and 4 did, as they made me know about Ash, Garbage, Feeder and Daiki Kasho. Can't say anything about 5 and 6 since I haven't played them, as for Sport...just DK songs from 4, and the rest I don't like a bit. But, I had to vote yes, due to the older chapters.

Jon Underdown has also recently been on the OST of Sonic Forces as well, btw, singing on the stages Space Port and Capital City. He also sung a live version of "Fist Bump" at TGS last year.

As for no new Daiki Kasho songs in Sport... that isn't quite true.

That, and the end race music you hear in Sport Mode and in GT League, it definitely is him, no doubt.

That's music, not song. But I didn't notice that. Thanks for the info. 👍

I didn't vote.

For me over the years, playing all of the Gran Turismo games (multiple times), the music has for the most part been good and even great.
However, in GT Sport, there are few songs that I enjoy and fewer that I actually like.

I really wish they would support in-game Spotify or your own USB playlist alongside the game.
I totally agreed with you.it's nice to play your own favorite music playlist :embarrassed:

I generally listen to this day a lot of music from these artists/bands:
Daiki Kasho
Dakota Star
Feeder

and while I never played GT2 I did in fact become a fan of The Cardigans due to the album Gran Turismo coming up in Google searches!

Listen to them a lot too!

Some of the ambient stuff in GTS isn't much different to some of the music I've enjoyed over the years. The album teaser below for example. The opening track is a little dramatic but after that it becomes very similar to the GTS sound in some ways.

Since I got back in to driving games the electronic music part of my brain has graduated from 90s techno cheese to unironic eurobeat. Much as it is "meme music" it actually has some of the highest compositional quality of any electronic music out there, blistering melodies, soaring vocal lines and powerful 80s guitar leads. It makes you quicker.

Back