Has Gran Turismo affected your music taste?

Has Gran Turismo affected your music taste?

• Yes; it introduced me to songs/artists which I still like

Votes: 135 61.1%
  • No; I have never cared for any of the music in GT

Votes: 38 17.2%
  • I enjoy the music in GT but none of it is my favourite

Votes: 28 12.7%
  • There is music in GT that I like but wasn't introduced to it by GT

Votes: 20 9.0%

• Total voters
Gran Turismo hell video games in general really introduced me to all kinds of music,GTA Vice City probably have the most impact on my music taste.
But in case Gran Turismo it all started with GT2 Simulation Disc menu music turned me into a Jazz/Lounge lover since.
Actually I loved all the stuff by Masahiro Andoh and Isamu Ohira and various other artists that made music specifically for Gran Turismo.
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue have it best in terms of atmospheric presentation and mesmerizing lounge music I still put it on main menu and my natural high will kick in no time.
I still have GT5P just for that reason it still have the best presentation and music put Gran Turismo up to the league of its own.

I love the menu music but none of the music while racing. I actually turn that off right when I get a new GT game. But like I said, that main menu music is fantastic. I always love the jazz music gt includes in their games. I actually got GT3-GT sport playlist saved on YouTube.

I find the lack of breakbeat and actual drum&bass in GT Sport disappointing.

That reminds me. This was like the perfect breakbot to start a race in GT5!

PNAU - Baby (Breakbot Remix)

Put it back in GT Sport or afterwards in GT 7 dammit!

Wait I'm not sure that is breakbeat but it was so catchy. It just made the game complete.

Puts me on a nostalgia trip back to the day that GT5 game came out. That was like a moment. It felt like the dawn of new chapter in PS3 gaming. Two brand new epic online racing games came out close together F1 2010 then GT5.

Gran Turismo hell video games in general really introduced me to all kinds of music,GTA Vice City probably have the most impact on my music taste.
But in case Gran Turismo it all started with GT2 Simulation Disc menu music turned me into a Jazz/Lounge lover since.

Thats like what Toca 2 EZ rollers Retro menu music for me as a kid growing up was. And yeah Some of the GTA music is stuff that really speaks to my tastes. I never played much GTA Vice City but played heaps of GTA 3 and GTA 4. Still listen to some of the GTA 3 tracks on Spotify sometimes.

My answer is no, I'm listening to my own music which I have on USB.

A tragedy! Nah just kidding. We both do that XD.

I am such an GT Music groupie I will put all the tracks I like on USB in a big playlist from all the past GT games and play them.

And that includes all Dakota Star's songs both the ones in GT4 and the ones on their albums.

Edit:
Also love Mirror System from GT Sport added their N-port album as playlist on Spotify. Chic Psychedelic just sounds so soothing.

Last edited:
I find the lack of breakbeat and actual drum&bass in GT Sport disappointing.
I dunno. I feel like a game full dnb would be pretty jarring against GTs professional, executive bathroom kind of aesthetic. More at home in NFS. The bossa nova/jazz/lounge soundtrack is kind of a hallmark, can't say id be pleased if my menus had DJ Hazard tunes on. Welcome to the FIA Nations cup! PRESSURE PRESSURE! SELEEEEECTA!

I dunno. I feel like a game full dnb would be pretty jarring against GTs professional, executive bathroom kind of aesthetic. More at home in NFS. The bossa nova/jazz/lounge soundtrack is kind of a hallmark, can't say id be pleased if my menus had DJ Hazard tunes on. Welcome to the FIA Nations cup! PRESSURE PRESSURE! SELEEEEECTA!
This tells you're judging the entire genre by a handful of OTT clownstep like songs.

This tells you're judging the entire genre by a handful of OTT clownstep like songs.
Yeah, im generalising of course. I think dnb's image has kind of changed in the last decade, with the jump up sound and stuff like SASASAS. I can definitely get down with cruising to liquid/spacier dnb, just wanted to make the point that itd be a jarring transition from the music in other GT titles. Don't really know any breakbeat/xyzstep so cant comment there. Whatever revs your engine though, dude

Yeah, im generalising of course. I think dnb's image has kind of changed in the last decade, with the jump up sound and stuff like SASASAS. I can definitely get down with cruising to liquid/spacier dnb, just wanted to make the point that itd be a jarring transition from the music in other GT titles. Don't really know any breakbeat/xyzstep so cant comment there. Whatever revs your engine though, dude
As long as it's not Hospital Records who I refuse to recognise as dnb.

As long as it's not Hospital Records who I refuse to recognise as dnb.
It's one of those genres that has gotten too broad for practical labelling. Kings of the Rollers doesn't really sound anything like, for a random example, the Absolute Drift soundtrack but they are both very definitely drum n bass. It's not really something i listen to alone, but I'll groove to it in a party setting no problems

It's one of those genres that has gotten too broad for practical labelling. Kings of the Rollers doesn't really sound anything like, for a random example, the Absolute Drift soundtrack but they are both very definitely drum n bass. It's not really something i listen to alone, but I'll groove to it in a party setting no problems
I'm not saying it has to all be drum&bass, I'm just saying the selection they currently have is dated and narrow.

They've got Makoto who really hasn't been big since he dropped Golden Girl with MC Conrad, London Elektricity mostly derided by actual drum&bass listeners because he tries to claim responsibility for the entire rise of the genre whilst throwing tantrums over BETTER artists selling more records, he also prevented any drum&bass from being in GTA 5 when he basically campaigned for exclusivity and Rockstar's reaction was to just not bother at all, also, the sound of the Black Sun Empire track is a sound that's basically a parody of neurofunk.

So of those 3 drum&bass songs on the soundtrack which I can remember:
- Generic liquid song.
- Generic liquid song made by a poisonous individual.
- Parody of neurofunk.

Would have been better to just have bespoke songs made by the likes of DJ Zinc, Shy FX, DJ Fresh, High Contrast, DJ Hazard (Bricks Don't Roll & Mr Happy prove he knows how to do mainstream stuff) and LTJ Bukem. Or better yet, have someone like Fabio or Grooverider consult them on appropriate and RELEVANT songs to use because those two are absolute geniuses at linking appropriate tracks to a project.

I'm not saying it has to all be drum&bass, I'm just saying the selection they currently have is dated and narrow.

They've got Makoto who really hasn't been big since he dropped Golden Girl with MC Conrad, London Elektricity mostly derided by actual drum&bass listeners because he tries to claim responsibility for the entire rise of the genre whilst throwing tantrums over BETTER artists selling more records, he also prevented any drum&bass from being in GTA 5 when he basically campaigned for exclusivity and Rockstar's reaction was to just not bother at all, also, the sound of the Black Sun Empire track is a sound that's basically a parody of neurofunk.

So of those 3 drum&bass songs on the soundtrack which I can remember:
- Generic liquid song.
- Generic liquid song made by a poisonous individual.
- Parody of neurofunk.

Would have been better to just have bespoke songs made by the likes of DJ Zinc, Shy FX, DJ Fresh, High Contrast, DJ Hazard and LTJ Bukem, or better yet, have someone like Fabio or Grooverider consult them on appropriate and RELEVANT songs to use.
so its not drum n bass unless you say so... Seen BSE live and im fairly sure it is dnb. Subgenres on subgenres on subgenres, good for nothing except snobbery.

And yeah, that WOULD be a good soundtrack for a racing game, but itd be pretty god damn odd for a GT game. Where's all the bossa nova coffee shop tunes for the menus?

EDIT: I dunno man, I dont wanna come at you for sharing your opinion. You clearly know what you like and know the genre well. I have genres I like that deeply too, but I generally dont expect a game to nail my taste even if its reasonable to expect that genre to be in there, like dnb in a racing game. It's not like the spotify app isnt right there.

so its not drum n bass unless you say so... Seen BSE live and im fairly sure it is dnb. Subgenres on subgenres on subgenres, good for nothing except snobbery.

And yeah, that WOULD be a good soundtrack for a racing game, but itd be pretty god damn odd for a GT game. Where's all the bossa nova coffee shop tunes for the menus?

EDIT: I dunno man, I dont wanna come at you for sharing your opinion. You clearly know what you like and know the genre well. I have genres I like that deeply too, but I generally dont expect a game to nail my taste even if its reasonable to expect that genre to be in there, like dnb in a racing game. It's not like the spotify app isnt right there.

Now you're just playing mental gymnastic for the sake winning an argument on the internet, bye.

A
Now you're just playing mental gymnastic for the sake winning an argument on the internet, bye.
A discussion, not an argument, was my intention, but oh well, entitled to your opinion etc.

it's not like literally anybody in the world gives a flying **** what you or i think, peace.

I only know the elevator music while waiting for the next race to start. I'm always surprised that there's music when I record a bit of replay as I have the music way down in game and the audio so low I can barely hear the engine.

Music is distracting while racing so I watch tv on the set next to it while racing :lol:

My music taste is 90's trance. The last game soundtrack to my tastes was Wipeout 2097. Wipeout VR still has some good beats.

Damn that just brings the game right back in front of my eyes. Now I feel like playing Wipeout VR. Getting the disc!

Wondering who can relate. Gran Turismo has introduced music to me that I have grown to love, namely Daiki Kasho and the selection of jazz in GT5.

Has anyone else come to love any particular musicians or styles of music through their exposure by GT games? If so, say who and post your favourite song(s).

This was my first introduction to my future favourite artist...

HOoooly **** it's been so long since I heard that song!!! GOOSEBUMPS!

I'm not sure if it was a particular game, but gaming DEFINITELY introduced me to Drum N Bass!! Pendulum & Noisia are by far my favourites!!!

edit: Must have been Motorstorm Apocalypse that introduced me to Noisia btw, they did the whole soundtrack.

Last edited:
VBR
It's certainly given me a new appreciation for Lounge & Jazz, that's for sure!

:embarrassed: :dopey: :D

I agree! All that lounge, folk and jazz. Kaz, Daiki and whoever else decides this list has good taste. Reading through this thread last night after a gts race I turned off the screen and let the menu music continue through my speakers. Sounded so good. Then added the spotify playlist songs. Haven't really explored the menu music much till now. You guys have influenced me with your GT music tastes!

IT'S OFFICIAL...GT7 :D
We share similair tastes my friend. :D Those are ones i like to listen to as well.

Of those Chicane actually has a few songs for EA Sports F1 2001 and Studio Liverpool / Psygonsis Formula One 2001

Love these from those games:

Wouldn't mind some Chicane in GT 7.

My music taste is 90's trance. The last game soundtrack to my tastes was Wipeout 2097. Wipeout VR still has some good beats.

Damn that just brings the game right back in front of my eyes. Now I feel like playing Wipeout VR. Getting the disc!

Studio Liverpool always had great taste when it came to the music. Great 90's british trance song. That was like my childhood with PS1 gonna cry.

HOoooly **** it's been so long since I heard that song!!! GOOSEBUMPS!

Love when Soul on display comes on in the middle of an epic Gran Turismo race online when the tension is real high. :cool: Cool your video also has lyrics too.

Seems the music from all motorsport games seem to have an effect on my tastes haha. :lol:

This song definitely fits the European music theme of GT Sport.
It's also a great song for when driving the 500! :D
images

This seems so chill maybe it would contrast a bit with the jazz and folk but it so chill on the menus or perhaps on the race menus. The title and the Google translated portuguese lyrics sound interesting.

I don't know who Yung Buda is but the lyrics even if I don't understand portuguese have themes I can empathise deeply with.

Like the brief Chic Psychedilic Mirror Systems remix at the start, the references to metal gear solid and camouflage, civic type-r, eifel 56 blue, touge racing... this dude thought deeply about this. :lol:

Daytona, Autumn Ring Mini
Laguna Seca
Daytona
Autumn Ring Mini, uh
Ayy, Laguna Seca
Daytona
Autumn Ring Mini
Autumn Ring Mini
Camouflaged R-Type I
Dry leaves
Leaves burn
I do Amaterasu
Touring
Civic R-Type lowered
Da Spoon
Alpinestars
Ultra rare, yah
Alone in the touge
Descending from Subaru
Alone in the touge
Subarashi on
Alone in the touge
Descending from Subaru
Come back, follow
Yung Buddha 7k
Snake skin
Cold blooded snake skin
I'm Chow Yun-Fat
John Woo Movie
I'm Dio cutting with Ginsu knife
Groupies trying to lie on my bed
I'll go through all
Yung Buddha is trill
Iron tiger
I'm Strider Hiryu
If you are trish
You will **** yourself
If we kill each other, who kills Matu?
I do not even get involved
My brother, I'm a cult.
I was playing "Blue" - Eiffel 56
I was looking for the blue biter.
Boys in black
Naked girls
I did ritual
Type six-six-six
I hate school
New school
Old school
Double time
And I discover the recipe
Capping a Porsche Panamera
I cover my Gucci car flag
Wok
Silenced
I jumped in your house.
Type Metal Gear
I give two shot in the neck
Gata if you believe
Come that the overcoat
Protect from the cold
Autumn Ring Mini
Camouflaged R-Type I
Dry leaves
Leaves burn
I do Amaterasu
Touring
Civic R-Type lowered
Da Spoon
Alpinestars
Ultra rare, yah
Alone in the touge
Descending from Subaru
Alone in the touge
Subarashi on
Alone in the touge
Descending from Subaru
Come back, follow
Yung Buddha 7k

I love the soundtrack to GT1 so much, I put it on a CD and drive around to it. It introduced me to drum & bass, along with some alternative (As Heaven Is Wide is an ideal night driving song).

Not only do I drive around to the racing music, I have the dealer and menu music too. I absolutely love the tuning/ car setup menu music, it’s got a laboratory vibe but also gives you the impression that you are about to push things to the limit.

Back