Have you watched movies on your PS2?

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 76 comments

Have you used your PS2 to watch DVD movies?

• Yes

Votes: 96 93.2%
  • No

Votes: 8 7.8%

• Total voters

Jordan

Site Founder
Administrator
United States
United States
GTP_Jordan
GTP_Jordan
I just got done watching one, and thought this would make a great poll question... :)

I did, but only as an experiment. I own a Toshiba SD1309 Dual-Disc player. The quality of the PS2 is okay, but can't compare to a mid to high-end DVD player.

Of course i have watched DVD´s on my PS2, it was one of the reasons I bought it in the first place... I even bought a movie yeterday..:)

Originally posted by AltF8
I did, but only as an experiment. I own a Toshiba SD1309 Dual-Disc player. The quality of the PS2 is okay, but can't compare to a mid to high-end DVD player.

I'm not argueing with you, I'm just curious about what you said.

I don't know what the difference would be in visual quality. If you use component outputs on both players the quality should be the same yes? Are the zero's and one's in better condition when played on a mid to high-end DVD player? It's all digital right? All running at the same DVD resolution standard right?

I've also watched a couple DVDs on my PS2, but I like my Pioneer mid-level DVD player better. Those 1's and 0's on the disc get manipulated and processed when they're decoded, and the processing quality is the difference between a $200 DVD player and one that costs 5X as much. True, there's not a HUGE difference, but black-level, edge enhancement, color correction and filtering effects can be noticably different between players. My PS2 also had sound-sync problems, and I had to pause to let the sound catch up to the picture. Anyone else have this?

Originally posted by Pako

I don't know what the difference would be in visual quality. If you use component outputs on both players the quality should be the same yes? Are the zero's and one's in better condition when played on a mid to high-end DVD player? It's all digital right? All running at the same DVD resolution standard right?

Yep, I basically did a side-by-side comparison. Now, don't get me wrong, the PS2 quality is quite good. But, I did notice (using S-Video on both systems) that the Toshiba has much less artifacting and much better color. The PS2 was simply outdone in every category.

However, the Toshiba was a $500 (list) DVD Player. :)

For what you are saying about quality, yes you're right. The data is all the same, but it's the decoder quality that makes the difference. Since the PS2 is basically a software decoder, problems can occur that don't happen as often on a hardware decoder.

CrackHoor

I've also watched a couple DVDs on my PS2, but I like my Pioneer mid-level DVD player better. Those 1's and 0's on the disc get manipulated and processed when they're decoded, and the processing quality is the difference between a $200 DVD player and one that costs 5X as much. True, there's not a HUGE difference, but black-level, edge enhancement, color correction and filtering effects can be noticably different between players. My PS2 also had sound-sync problems, and I had to pause to let the sound catch up to the picture. Anyone else have this?

Ive had this problem with the sound before. i think its caused by haveing a clean laser lens. Yes you heard right a clean laser lens. i noticed this happening when i first bought my system. After a few months though it stoped doing that thing with the sound and video not matching up. A few months ago i decided to buy one of those dvd disk cleaners and i noticed that after i had cleaned my lens, i played a movie and found that the sound problem started up again.... VERY strainge :odd: :odd: :odd: :odd:

Originally posted by AltF8

Yep, I basically did a side-by-side comparison. Now, don't get me wrong, the PS2 quality is quite good. But, I did notice (using S-Video on both systems) that the Toshiba has much less artifacting and much better color. The PS2 was simply outdone in every category.

However, the Toshiba was a $500 (list) DVD Player. :)

For what you are saying about quality, yes you're right. The data is all the same, but it's the decoder quality that makes the difference. Since the PS2 is basically a software decoder, problems can occur that don't happen as often on a hardware decoder.

Very good. I am humbled by your wisdom. :D I did notice, myself that my PS2 produced a darker picture than my original DVD player when playing movies, both using s-video. Interesting though ..........

I began with a Toshiba single disc player, and when I realized how much I loved DVD, I gave it to my little sister, and bought the six disc. I loved that one as well, until it started skipping and eventually freezing on certain discs. I used to think it was dual layered, but now everything is dual layed, and some play on it. (my sister's is doing the same thing)
I passed that on along to my parents, and bought a Sony 5 disc. It has a ton of features, but the picture quality is not even close to the Toshibas. I used Component video for all of them.

The first movie I saw on it(also the first time a DVD) was the Matrix. yep, the first time I saw the Matrix was a DVD. They say its the best way to watch it!

Originally posted by BMW///M3
The first movie I saw on it(also the first time a DVD) was the Matrix. yep, the first time I saw the Matrix was a DVD. They say its the best way to watch it!

On ign.com, you can read about all the disaster befalling the Matrix 2 and 3 (being filmed simultaneously, so expect an Empire strikes back sized cliffhanger) Aaliya (sp?) was supposed to be in the movie too, but she's gone now.
Oh and it'll be on DVD someday. (getting back on topic):)

I have a Sony DVD and of course the PS2. They are very simillar in quality and for sound quality, excatly the same hooked up thru Digital Output. However I did notice the thing with the speech and movie timing and think is a DVD thing or a sony problem. ALthough there are quality differences in DVD's.

Gost.gif

Yep, as i posted in another thread, i have 10 DVDs and its growing everyday cause of PS2...

I am curious though... PS2 is my first DVD player and everyone says a "real" DVD player is better, so I might end up buying a normal one down the road, but for now PS2 is doing just fine for me.

HELL yeah Magic069

thats the same way i feel. But ill most like get a New TV fist than a new DVD player.:rolleyes: :eek:

may i also say that in the uk people have reported that if you use a scart lead and play a dvd you get a slightly greener screen but i didnt find that when i played my dvd on it. i found the quality fine

I THINK THE PS2 DVD IS SWEET I USED TO HAVE A GOOD PIONEER ONE AND DONT NOTICE REALLY ANY DIFFERENCE....
IM IN AUSTRALIA AND JUST BOUT MY PS2 MAYBE THATS WHY IT COULD BE BETTER THAN SOME PEOPLES WHO HAVE EARLIER MODELS!!!

yup - it was one of the reasons I deluded myself I could afford £400 (about $600) on PS2, games, controllers and all that good stuff).

I gather the qaulity is not too hot, but when I have a big fat TV where the DVD player quality is really improtant I can just buy a better player.

Sweet.

I gave my $300 sony dvd player away after I purchased the PSX2. I buy approx. 3 movies a month on DVD... most probably know this, but there are great tools for setting up playback quality in the PSX2 "select" menus. This is where you turn on DTS and other options. Mine works like a charm component out.

Originally posted by VooDoo_Child2010
I gave my $300 sony dvd player away after I purchased the PSX2. I buy approx. 3 movies a month on DVD... most probably know this, but there are great tools for setting up playback quality in the PSX2 "select" menus. This is where you turn on DTS and other options. Mine works like a charm component out.

I agree, with only a low quality RCA DVD player to compare to, the PS2 does an outstanding job. I would like to see it next to some high end DVD players that are on the market.

S-Video, Optics-Dolby Digital 5.1

Of course I have watched DVD movies. Thats about 25% why I decided to get one. $300 is not a bad deal for a PS2,PSX,CDPLAYER, and a DVD PLAYER. ;)

To add my $0.02 here....yes DVDs are digital. All that means is that the data is stored numerically on the disc. The digital data is converted to analog inside the player (except the audio if you're using a digital output) and sent out as an analog waveform from there. That's where the difference comes in; both the accuracy of the digital/analog converter(s) (also commonly referred to as DACs) and the quality of the analog output stages and connections thereafter. On the digital side of things, the quality of the servo and laser pickup will affect how many missing or corrupted codes come through. All DVD and CD players have error-correction circuitry in them, however not having an error in the first place is always better. Not to mention that error-corrected code is still only a best guess, and not the original data. The quality of error correction also varies.

I don't think that the PS2 uses software decoding; where would it be stored? I know that Japan spec PS2s use the memory card for DVD playback (so that's a possibility) but US PS2s have it incorporated into the hardware as best I know.

Oh, and to answer the poll question, yes I watch movies on my PS2. I held off on buying a separate DVD player because I knew I'd be buying a PS2. :D

I agree, with only a low quality RCA DVD player to compare to, the PS2 does an outstanding job. I would like to see it next to some high end DVD players that are on the market.

S-Video, Optics-Dolby Digital 5.1

The differences between DVD players is really pretty small in most cases. Usually you'd only notice it in a side-by-side comparison. That includes very expensive models as well.

Yes I do. I've got about 3 and rent one about once a fortnight.
Anyone who watches DVD's on the PS2 should do them selves a favor and get the remote, I got one along with a movie for my birthday a few weeks back and it improves the watching experience about 100%.

There have been reports, and I have experienced problems with the PS2 DVD Player. Its something about its ability to switch "layers" on theh disc--- for example on Gladiator there's a scene where it always jumps around and it eventually cant read the disc...its not a scratch...other people report it, too.

Originally posted by Stealth Viper
There have been reports, and I have experienced problems with the PS2 DVD Player. Its something about its ability to switch "layers" on theh disc--- for example on Gladiator there's a scene where it always jumps around and it eventually cant read the disc...its not a scratch...other people report it, too.

SO IT"S NOT JUST ME!!!!!!!!!!!

Back