DSLR vs Phone, the epic showdown

• Thread starter TB
  • 116 comments
Thanks, Neal. :)

Post consisted of +1 stop, -5 Highlight (took some of the "punch" out of the sky) and a +2 of saturation. Everything else (contrast, tone, shadow) we left alone. As for the lights and wires, I considered removing them but, obviously, haven't made a call one way or the other.

Probably because I'm lazy.

Kinda like it the way it is... the poles actually add a bit to the emotional tone of the photo.

I think I'd prefer it more if you removed your son and the minor poles/wires. Of course you thinking this sounds ridiculous but I am disregarding personal emotion and concentrating purely on composition. I like the fact that the main pole remains off centre, it shows your not dead set on following rules which is important in abstract photography.

TB
Thanks, Neal. :)

Post consisted of +1 stop, -5 Highlight (took some of the "punch" out of the sky) and a +2 of saturation. Everything else (contrast, tone, shadow) we left alone. As for the lights and wires, I considered removing them but, obviously, haven't made a call one way or the other.

Probably because I'm lazy.

TB's gone Royal :lol:

It looks like you've added some vignetting to it, either way I like the look so will try the PP on some of mine...I definitely need the practice!

Sorry I started the ball rolling with shopping requests :guilty:

TB's gone Royal :lol:
Oops. The we was supposed to be was. :dunce:
It looks like you've added some vignetting to it, either way I like the look so will try the PP on some of mine...I definitely need the practice!
No vignetting added, but I have an option to add "Peripheral Illumination" and chose not to, thus the darker corners.
Sorry I started the ball rolling with shopping requests :guilty:
And discussion is good discussion. Just don't start on standard vs. premium or the weather and we're good. :P

I saw a similar shot a few months ago and thought it looked cool and I finally got around to giving it a go myself. There are some things I'll tweak for next time (whenever that might be!) but I'm fairly please with the results.

Heart ring

Exposure: 1/3200 sec, f/5.6, ISO200
Focal Length: 55mm
Flash: Not fired

And in taking that picture, I realized just how beat up my wedding ring has gotten over 11 years!

That turned out really cool. For next time I'd try to find two all white pages without and text and shoot it that way. Still awesome though, looks like it could be a greeting card.

That turned out really cool. For next time I'd try to find two all white pages without and text and shoot it that way. Still awesome though, looks like it could be a greeting card.
Thanks, Joey! 👍

The one I was trying to emulate actually used a dictionary where the definition of "love" was in the shot right next to the ring. That won't work very well for me - my dictionary is a .com. :lol:

The book I used is one of my wife's textbooks - the 3120 page 23rd Edition Goldman Cecil Medicine. Heavy bastard! :scared:

Pretty intriguing shot... got to remember to tell my bro about it next time we do a wedding... :lol:

Forgot about my own thread. This does not bode well for when I get older and more forgetful.
Pretty intriguing shot... got to remember to tell my bro about it next time we do a wedding... :lol:
I'd be interested in seeing it if you do. 👍
Nice, what would you tweak if you tried the shot again?
I might see if I can hunt down a more applicable book and I'd like it if the heart wasn't quite so distorted.

My wife needs some pictures of our son taking his enzyme for one of her class projects. She should have known better than to leave my options completely open like that...

Exposure: 1/80 sec, f/1.8, ISO100
Focal Length: 50mm

Exposure: 1/80 sec, f/1.8, ISO100
Focal Length: 50mm

Yes, it took a few shots for him to stop laughing when I told him to stick out his tongue at me. :P

And I'm completely in love with just how shallow f/1.8 is.

The first one looks like a drug advertisement. Love the shallow DOF too!! Nice work as always 👍!

TB
Any brand you're considering or are you open to suggestions? Or maybe you want to put it in your own (or start a new) thread... :)

Open to everything, really. But I'm looking at used cameras. I've seen some 10Ds, D70s, EOS 350D come with several lenses at nice prices. The prices right from the store are still too high for my liking. I do have the money, but I am only a student and I try to be stuff as cheap as possible :lol:

They're both great TB, apart from the composition being spot on and good use of DoF I'm most impressed with your control of the "subject". Even after 3 years I still can't get a decent photo of my lad unless he's engrossed in something!

Update time!

So as many of you know, the family went to Disneyworld just before Christmas and due to my epic procrastination, I've finally gotten around to doing a bit of post work on some of them. Don't worry. I won't bore you with picture after picture of my kids. I'll find some new ways to bore you instead. :dopey:

Cinderella's Castle - daytime

Exposure: 1/800 sec, f/5.6, ISO100
Notes: Isn't it a rule that you must take this picture shortly upon arriving at Magic Kingdom and if you don't the Mickey Patrol will toss you out?

Cinderella's Castle - lit up

Exposure: 1/20 sec, f/3.5, ISO200
Focal Length: 20mm
Notes: Magic Kingdom closed at 7pm but we purchased additional tickets to stay from 7pm until they closed (we left at 11pm). While the park with the kids was fun during the day, it takes on a whole different feel when everything is lit up and the night culminated with...

Cinderella's Castle - under fire

Exposure: 1/6 sec, f/4.5, ISO800
Focal Length: 29mm
Notes: Outstanding way to cap the first day. The "free" cookies and hot chocolate didn't hurt, either.

Elephants at Animal Kingdom

Exposure: 1/400 sec, f/5.6, ISO400
Notes: It rained for most of the day so the camera stayed in the backpack more than I would have liked. Thankfully when we went on Kilimanjaro Safaris the clouds broke for a bit (and the trucks are covered) so I could take a few shots. Unfortunately, with how fast they drive through the ride, time is of the essence and some of my shots have peoples heads in them, which I'm not terribly fond of...

Cut the green wire, Indy!

Exposure: 1/15 sec, f/5.6, ISO800
Focal Length: 105mm
Notes: The Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular at Hollywood Studios is just that - spectacular. They star off with the scene above - grab idol, replace with bag 'o sand, get chased by big ball. They then walk you through how stunts are performed, measures taken to ensure crew safety, etc. All of that leads up to:

She's gonna blow!

Exposure: 1/4000 sec, f/6.3, ISO800
Notes: From the scene right after the big German dude gets eviscerated by the prop in Raiders.

Speed. I am speed.

Exposure: 1/160 sec, f/5.6, ISO400
Focal Length: 37mm
Flash: Fired
Notes: Oh, come on! You knew there would be at least one picture of my kids!

Aren't you a little big for an AT-ST?

Exposure: 1/1640 sec, f/4.5, ISO800
Notes: An AT-AT is parked outside of Star Tours, which was unfortunately closed for upgrades. Something to look forward to for next time.

Click for larger, C&C welcomed, etc. :)

Quality update 👍

The castle shots are great, especially the night time ones, although I wouldn't class that part of Disney as my thing. The Indy Spectacular on the otherhand is definitely my thing and the plane on fire shot is awesome, it could be a still from the movie! The AT - AT shot is brilliant :D made me think of AT - AT Day Afternoon

I used to hate taking pictures at Disney World, but with all the array of color and lots of varying light sources, it's too tempting to pass up the opportunity for creativity. There's a lot of typical seen-it-a-million-times shots, but also lots of other places and details that are usually ignored.

Plus, throw in smiling kids, and you find plenty of reasons to keep the shutter clicking; chit-chat with other SLR owners, et al.

White

Exposure: 1/3200 sec, f/5.6, ISO200
Notes: Just strolling around the back yard cleaning up and decided to grab the camera. This is one of the shots of the new landscaping that I thought came out pretty decent.

While shooting the above, there were at least 30 dragonflies around me so I figured I'd see what I could capture.

Red

Exposure: 1/1600 sec, f/5.6, ISO200
Notes: My DOF should have been a touch higher to get more in focus but these guys are fast and don't stick around for very long. I'll take what I can get.

Blue

Exposure: 1/500 sec, f/5.6, ISO200
Notes: I have to admit the background bothers me a touch, in particular the branch in the top right corner. All-in-all, though, I'm fairly pleased with this one.

Kieślowski inspired titles? :lol:
I assure you that wasn't intentional. :lol: I had them named flowers, red and blue then decided white was more fitting.
All three are great but I love this shot. Amazing 👍
Thanks! :D

I'm actually quite surprised at the bokeh on the kit lens. The rocks are only about 1-1.5 feet behind the dragonfly and already that OOF.

The family and I ventured out to Buffalo River State Park this afternoon. I snapped a few pictures and thought these ended up turning out decent.

Field O' wheat

Exposure: 1/400 sec, f/8.0, ISO100
Focal Length: 27mm
Notes: Post involved kicking up the contrast a bit to "separate" the stalks of wheat as they blended together a bit too much. I did it fairly aggressively but I can't decide if I went too far...

TRex?

Exposure: 1/200 sec, f/8.0, ISO100
Focal Length: 18mm
Flash: Fired
Notes: I have no idea what he's doing with his arms. I can only assume he's pretending to be a T-Rex. Again.

Two things

Exposure: 1/320 sec, f/8.0, ISO100
Focal Length: 18mm
Notes: They're actually laughing at the same time!

As usual, click for larger and C&C always welcomed. 👍

Very crisp and clear pics there TB! 👍 It was a really clear and sunny day, sky looks great in each pic.

Fuzzy Wuzzy

Exposure: 1/60 sec, f/5.6, ISO100 (Assumed. See notes for further info)
Notes: Playing with some new extension rings. 100% crop can be seen here. These extension rings are insane. I end up almost directly on top of the subject with a lens that's supposed to focus no closer than 9" and the DOF is almost criminal. I'm not concerned that the autofocus doesn't work. Even if it did I'd still likely focus manually. The one complaint I have is not being able to adjust the aperture. There is a bit of a work around but I'll likely not bother. For scale, the stem itself is around 1/8" wide.

Expect to see more close-up shots in the future. If you have any requests, I'll see what I can do. I'm thinking Lego brick next...

Back