Heldenzeit's Garage (New Italian!)

• Thread starter Heldenzeit
  • 1,139 comments
I found a set of those wheels to put on my '03 S55. Wasn't sure about the chrome, but they were only 600 shipped from an eBay seller, and exactly the correct OEM size, with AMG logo, to replace the over-wide 20s that a previous owner put on the car, causing sidewall rub and generally making it completely unsafe to drive. The chrome kinda grew on me after a while.

Sadly, after the Hurricane Sally rains, the S55 is no more... :(

46729899594_d9d924f4cd_z.jpg

Looks good! Those SLs when made to not have fussy details look great still today. Is there a way to shorten those exhaust tips so it's not sticking out as badly?

Previous owner didn't have this for long.
Could probably cut it, but it doesnt bother me much. Tips read "RennTech". He had it for a couple months thinking it would be a more sporty version of an E400.

190D is looking cool already, so it's in good hands.
received_2859033184199563.jpeg

I found a set of those wheels to put on my '03 S55. Wasn't sure about the chrome, but they were only 600 shipped from an eBay seller, and exactly the correct OEM size, with AMG logo, to replace the over-wide 20s that a previous owner put on the car, causing sidewall rub and generally making it completely unsafe to drive. The chrome kinda grew on me after a while.

Sadly, after the Hurricane Sally rains, the S55 is no more... :(

46729899594_d9d924f4cd_z.jpg
Good deal on the wheels! These are pretty worn out and are in need of a refinish. Sorry to hear about the S though, I've been following your thread as well. Really want a CL of that vintage.

Mega update!

Found some Wald DUCHATALET II wheels that didn't fit on my R129. They did look cool though! Also repaired the power steering pump. This car is currently listed for sale.
20210323_191532.jpg
20210323_191641.jpg
20210323_191651.jpg

Since the wheels didn't really fit (rubbed a lot) I bought a car they did fit on.

The forbidden Benz! 2002 CL600 with ABC and the M137 engine. Chalcedon Blue, and nearly every option available. Really lovely car, and I can't wait to take it on a trip. Amazingly, everything works aside from the keyless entry.
20210405_193929.jpg

20210405_193857.jpg
20210405_193819.jpg
20210403_183645.jpg
20210403_183551.jpg
20210403_183558.jpg

If it stays that high, I doubt it needs an accumulator. Does it change height with the button on the dashboard? From my experience with the S55, they sag with bad accumulators. If it doesn't sag and you never see the
Car too low" warning on the dash panel, then I doubt accumulators are the problem. Maybe a valve body rebuild, but flush the system before that. Flush will need $$$$... at least 10 quarts of Pentosin, at minimum 20 bucks a quart, but rebuilding valve bodies is pointless if nasty fluid is in the system carrying grunge all around.

Bad accumulators will pop hydraulic lines. Bad accumulators can also cause the system to throw low pressure codes, too, which many shops will incorrectly interpret as needing to replace the pump. (If the pump has ever been run dry, it must be replaced. If not, leave it be.)

When I got it my S55 would sag after driving for 15 minutes or so, but would come right back up after being parked and allowed to cool down. I did need accumulators, and replacing them removed the sag issue. ABC was still never right, and I got an ABC warning every time I started the car. It always leveled up, but never adjusted while driving, or responded to the height button. I was at the point of giving up on the ABC and throwing on a set of Arnott coilovers when Hurricane Sally took that decision out of my hands.

If it stays that high, I doubt it needs an accumulator. Does it change height with the button on the dashboard? From my experience with the S55, they sag with bad accumulators. If it doesn't sag and you never see the
Car too low" warning on the dash panel, then I doubt accumulators are the problem. Maybe a valve body rebuild, but flush the system before that. Flush will need $$$$... at least 10 quarts of Pentosin, at minimum 20 bucks a quart, but rebuilding valve bodies is pointless if nasty fluid is in the system carrying grunge all around.

Bad accumulators will pop hydraulic lines. Bad accumulators can also cause the system to throw low pressure codes, too, which many shops will incorrectly interpret as needing to replace the pump. (If the pump has ever been run dry, it must be replaced. If not, leave it be.)

When I got it my S55 would sag after driving for 15 minutes or so, but would come right back up after being parked and allowed to cool down. I did need accumulators, and replacing them removed the sag issue. ABC was still never right, and I got an ABC warning every time I started the car. It always leveled up, but never adjusted while driving, or responded to the height button. I was at the point of giving up on the ABC and throwing on a set of Arnott coilovers when Hurricane Sally took that decision out of my hands.
Reason I bring up accumulators, is that it'll ping the ABC light on rebound going over an expansion joint. The right height adjustment doesn't seem to do anything, and it always feels stiff.

Took the CL in for service today, and the suspension woes are actually due to a worn out left front shock. Accumulators are due based on mileage. Having the front flex disc, trans mount, and cabin filters changed as well as engine and trans oil.

@SVX found me these cool replica Yanase dealer stickers. Yanase is the Japanese Benz importer.
20210704_200842.jpg

20210704_200852.jpg
20210704_195543.jpg
20210704_195226.jpg

Curious what happens at the car counter when you ask for 24 spark plugs! :lol: It was bad enough with my S55 needing 16...

(Or is that engine 2 plugs per cylinder? :confused:)

Last edited:
Curious what happens at the car counter when you ask for 24 spark plugs! :lol: It was bad enough with my S55 needing 16...

(Or is that engine 2 plugs per cylinder? :confused:)
Yup! 2 plugs per cylinder. Curiously there's only two coil packs. Likely for cylinder deactivation I'd guess.

Little update. Changed wiper blades (surprisingly easy job) with new OEM genuine parts. MB parts boxes have a super cool design, and they put the logo on the end. Also, there's a wear indicator on the blade showing when to replace. More high tech than expected!
20211026_130829.jpg
20211026_130846.jpg
20211026_131038.jpg

Drove it to Sacramento and actually got 20mpg!
20211020_070437.jpg

Seems to have developed a squeak in the suspension, I'm gonna guess the rain washed out the lubricant in the lowering links. Kinda embarrassing. Still love driving it, even with Super 91 octane being $5.39/gal.
20211121_203830.jpg

Last edited:
Update! I've moved to Houston, Texas. Sold the Impreza wagon but kept the CL600.
image000000(1).jpg

Had a couple rentals from Turo before the car arrived, and they were fun, but the CL is much more suited to the roads here.
20220312_150241.jpg

First was a Fiat 500L, which was actually pretty good aside from some little trim issues. Dual clutch gearbox was better than expected. Wife wants one.
20220319_170215.jpg

Saw an ND, so I had to reserve it when the Fiat ran out. Pic is taken at Buc-ees, the biggest gas station I've ever seen. Car is definitely not suited to the roads here, couldn't wait to return it. Fun to drive though!

Update! I've moved to Houston, Texas. Sold the Impreza wagon but kept the CL600.
View attachment 1129500
Had a couple rentals from Turo before the car arrived, and they were fun, but the CL is much more suited to the roads here.
View attachment 1129503
First was a Fiat 500L, which was actually pretty good aside from some little trim issues. Dual clutch gearbox was better than expected. Wife wants one.
View attachment 1129502
Saw an ND, so I had to reserve it when the Fiat ran out. Pic is taken at Buc-ees, the biggest gas station I've ever seen. Car is definitely not suited to the roads here, couldn't wait to return it. Fun to drive though!
Lost another one to TX :(

Hope the new spot gives more opportunity & happiness. Shame we never got to link up at C&C. I actually had a mind to ask you if you were interested in parting with the GC8 wagon, but I missed my chance it seems. The CL should be an excellent car for Texas roads...just make sure the cooling system is sorted. But since you're in TX, you'll probably have room for a track car now....

How many pumps at that station?
34!
Lost another one to TX :(

Hope the new spot gives more opportunity & happiness. Shame we never got to link up at C&C. I actually had a mind to ask you if you were interested in parting with the GC8 wagon, but I missed my chance it seems. The CL should be an excellent car for Texas roads...just make sure the cooling system is sorted. But since you're in TX, you'll probably have room for a track car now....
Yup, just had enough of CA. The 600 is really suited here. Would love to get my wife a matching sedan. Cooling system was sorted during one of the trips to AZ last year. I think its going to need a AC service though. I actually sold the wagon to my company, so I'll probably see it when I need to travel to the Vegas test facility.

Back