Heldenzeit's Garage (Endless Maintenance)

• Thread starter Heldenzeit
  • 1,149 comments
These arrived today. Carbon Matrix brake rotors from Remmen Brakes, the supplier to Koenigsegg. Need to change hubs (997 C2S), calipers (996 Turbo or C4S), pads, and probably the master cylinder. Can't wait to see how the car feels.
20190426_180218.jpg
20190426_180228.jpg
20190426_110001.jpg
20190323_153117.jpg

I absolutely love NT03s, especially on a blue car. I will say some offsets don't look very good to me, but I'm not sure which ones they are. Considered getting a set for my 986 before deciding I actually really like the factory alloys.

Your 996 is dope. I need to lower my 986. Too bad my driveway is stupidly steep and it frequently scrapes if I don't get the angle *just* right as it is. Do you frequent any NorCal C&C events?

I absolutely love NT03s, especially on a blue car. I will say some offsets don't look very good to me, but I'm not sure which ones they are. Considered getting a set for my 986 before deciding I actually really like the factory alloys.

Your 996 is dope. I need to lower my 986. Too bad my driveway is stupidly steep and it frequently scrapes if I don't get the angle *just* right as it is. Do you frequent any NorCal C&C events?
Thanks! Even since swapping to adjustable GT3 suspension the ride height isn't that low. It was much harder to drive my old Miata with the big front lip. I went to the Canepa C&C when we had it, but that's it really.

The Impreza is actually quite small. It's barely higher than the 911 but the suspension is jacked way up!
It's just the right size for the narrow road I live on. Driving position and visibility are great! Can't be said about my girlfriend's 07 Yaris sedan though.

EDIT: After all this time I cleaned up the first post. It was too Miata focused!

Last edited:
Big 911 update. Finally got around to doing a clutch job, as the pressure plate wasn't disengaging all the way.
20190621_185825.jpg

Trans out, and here's what we find. Bent fingers on the pressure plate. Changed the dual mass flywheel and rear main seal for good measure.
20190621_185459.jpg

Lots of heat spots on the pressure plate.
20190621_185401.jpg

Clutch.jpg

Wanted to update the commonly faulty Intermediate Shaft Bearing as well, but found that the car has a larger M97 style bearing which is non-servicable as well as a much lower rate of failure. Running the engine case number shows the car has had it's engine replaced under warranty.
Ims.jpg

No pics, but we also changed the Air Oil Separator, which commonly fail. Next on the list were the GT2 brake ducts which I had forever. They sit really low!
20190623_194107.jpg

All cleaned up and ready to drive!
20190623_193947.jpg

20190623_194029.jpg

20190623_194200.jpg

Getting tired of this thing. Smelled fuel through the AC vents. Discovered a cracked fuel sender.
20190813_205203.jpg

Alfa Giulia is looking like a good buy....

It's the VW/Audi parts that are at fault. Alomst not joking. Often the OE Bosch/VDO/etc parts are interchangeable. Meaning an old Golf isn't any more reliable :D Funny to see even the holder is stamped VW/Audi.

It seems like you've had a share of trouble over the past year. Then again when you're coming from Japanese cars you are so spoiled by reliable stuff, owning a German car makes you feel like you're a glutton for punishment.

Last edited:
Alfa Romeo ownership seems like a terrifying prospect. Godspeed.
They said this about the 996 too. Overall it hasn't been so bad. My old C4 left me stranded way more times than the 911 has. So has the Miata, but mostly due to my less than perfect mechanic ability.

They said this about the 996 too. Overall it hasn't been so bad. My old C4 left me stranded way more times than the 911 has. So has the Miata, but mostly due to my less than perfect mechanic ability.

Because I was curious, I looked into it and saw that you can lease a Giulia Sport with a few options for about $450/mo. Take into account the heinous (likely) depreciation, lack of availability, and reliability concerns...it might not be such a bad option. That Monza red color is sumptuous. I would really love to have a burgandy sedan at some point.

I was actually recently racking my brain trying to think of sedans, available in the states, that I would consider beautiful. The Giulia is the only one I can think of new, and there aren't a whole lot generally. Beauty has become chopped liver it seems.

Thinks owning an old Porsche is punishment. Considers Alfa.

JK, I have actually been eyeing the Giulia myself. Although my next daily will most likely be an EV, the Alfa is a thing of beauty on wheels and is on the shortlist if I go for a gasoline powered car..

SVX
Too bad it's mine now.

I bet you're moving out there.. :cool:

Replaced the missing fog light delete cover .
20191017_172502.jpg
Found out the guy I sold my Miata to has started parting it .ugh. I want to try and save the chassis, but fear it's too far gone. The trunk floor has been cut for some reason.
received_424112871576935.jpeg

That poor Miata... Bummer its being parted out seems like its going to waste.

Although i must admit; Your Impreza is looking rather great, same with the 911, the 996 def grew on me a ton, and i lowkey want one.

Back