Heldenzeit's Garage (Endless Maintenance)

• Thread starter Heldenzeit
  • 1,149 comments
Getting brake fade even on canyon roads. It's a bit scary on track! Need to upgrade pads too.
Wonder if that's an age thing, or a combination of a few ageing parts letting down the side? Brake fade isn't something Porsches have ever really been known for!

Old brake fluid is usually one of the major reasons for brake fade as brake fluid absorbes water and moisture over time and this lowers the boiling point. If this hasn't been done in the past years I'd do that. The water in the old brake fluid will also accelerate rust in the brake lines from within.

I wasn't really planning to track the car that day, otherwise I would've changed the fluid beforehand. It's on my list of needed items.

Changed the sidemarkers from Amber to clear. These are OEM Porsche parts used in ROW markets.
20180823_101736.jpg
20180823_101843.jpg

Fuel pump died, so I've changed it out with another Genuine Porsche one. Also replaced the tank sender gasket.
20180924_163950.jpg
Under the battery tray you'll find the sending unit.
20180924_202134.jpg

Sending unit removed. Now time to dunk my arm in the tank (because of course it's nearly full).
20180924_202118.jpg
Old pump pictured. It's clipped into the bottom of the tank. No bolts, just twist to remove.
20180924_202044.jpg
20180925_181211.jpg

After the fuel pump left me stranded, the clutch has started to act up also. Changed the master and slave, and now it takes a ton of force to get the car to go into first or reverse. Sounds like the pressure plate isn't disengaging all the way, so I guess it's time for a replacement. Might as well change the IMS while I'm in there.

So I bought a daily while the 911 gets to rest. 97 Impreza Outback Sport 2.2 automatic. 180k, paid $1300. It'll work for now.
20181030_181120.jpg
20181030_181129.jpg
20181030_181140.jpg
20181030_122335.jpg

Its good to have a alternate method of transit with these M96 cars....:lol::nervous:

Regarding your particular issue, I once experienced something similar in my RX-7. Turned out it was my throwout bearing had disintegrated.

Its good to have a alternate method of transit with these M96 cars....:lol::nervous:

Regarding your particular issue, I once experienced something similar in my RX-7. Turned out it was my throwout bearing had disintegrated.
Car has been super solid the whole year until last month hah. Oh well, I still really enjoy it. Will see once I take it apart.

Big question is where I'll put the fuel door, as it's on the passenger side fender.

I feel like there's an obvious, though not practical, answer to this... You'll have to go full racecar and put a fuel cell in the frunk. :lol:

A legit fuel cell is $8,000, so that's ruled out. I'll look into that adapter for sure. Might be just what I need.

EDIT: Actually, the battery sits above the fuel tank where this adapter would go. Maybe I can move the battery forward like it is on a 935.

Last edited:
That just about removes the usefuless of the frunk though. Can't you just dremmel out & 'glass-in an opening for the fuel door? Seems simplest.

That just about removes the usefuless of the frunk though. Can't you just dremmel out & 'glass-in an opening for the fuel door? Seems simplest.
I don't really use it that much anyway, but that's also a consideration. The carbon isn't that thick, but I'll talk to our 'glass guy.

@Heldenzeit Wasn't sure if this was the right place to ask or elsewhere, but do you know if a normal guy can just visit Canepa and check out the showroom and the cars there, or do I need to either be a customer or otherwise make a special appointment/arrangement? Also tagging @Eunos_Cosmo in case he's been and he knows.

@Heldenzeit Wasn't sure if this was the right place to ask or elsewhere, but do you know if a normal guy can just visit Canepa and check out the showroom and the cars there, or do I need to either be a customer or otherwise make a special appointment/arrangement? Also tagging @Eunos_Cosmo in case he's been and he knows.
Anyone can walk in and look at the showroom and museum. Let me know a day in advance and I can show you the normally off limits race shop. I'm there Saturdays too.

Back