Help needed on drifting

• Thread starter RoadHogGTP
  • 29 comments
Hey all I'm having some real problems trying to drift in prologue. I cn drift in gt3 but this seems totally different. If you've got any tips for me, all help is appreciated

The best tip is, wait till the full version so you can modify and change setups. Yes, it is very hard to keep a drift going in Prologue due to the unalterable cars. Not a surprise.

Using road tyres seems to help... Normal tyres don't seem to allow you to moderate the throttle properly durin the slide. It's just not ike drifting in concept, that was the best!

If you are referring to "power drifts", I'm afraid only the really powerful cars can do it well, e.g. M5 Concept, Viper, Skyline GTR, etc. It is possible, however, to "slide" around the bends with the other cars. The way to do this is to outbrake yourself in a corner and let the back step out (as late in the corner as possible, i.e. past the apex). Countersteer and accelerate out of the corner. When you watch the replays, you'll get a better idea of how late to do the slide. Good luck and enjoy. It's actually more satisfying than doing a drift in GT3 once you get it right because it looks more real :)

Holdenhsvgtsr
i found this too i went the evo 8 and through it into a corner and it just went straight on didnt even try to oversteer at all

Is that in the First time trial test at Tsukuba?

That car is running the street tyres... which means it has a distinct lack of grip!! Try racing it on Normal tyres and it actually performs very very well compared to similar cars in its class!

C.

no i just went to arcade mode and just done a race i havent even got any car to "wag its tail" yet but gotta love vbh's voice in the school part lol

Grab the SL55 AMG turn driving aids and traction control off and slap on some sports tyres and stick it in mannual on Tsukuba.

If you shift the body weight under braking you can get the rear sideways underbreaking and then continue the drift by making it into a "power drift". I'm no drifter but thats how I do it.

I was gonna say the same thing as Alpha... I found an option last night that I'd not noticed before... it's in the main OPTIONS menu and it's called Traction control... Set this to off... Now start a race and turn driver aids off too...

Now drive the McLaren F1 and tell me your car doesn't wag it's tail!!!!!

C.

PS With TCS off you can get the beast up even faster at the end of Fuji cos the TCS isn't kicking in at the top end of the scale!!

I cant believe you guys are playing with traction control on?? Thats the first thing I turned off.

It's sneakily hidden away in the options menu!!

I have to say I was confused the other day when I took out the F1 and turned Driver Aids off... only to have the traction control on!!

That confused me a great deal until last night when I found the option!!

C.

When first go got GT4:P I took out the 240Z trying to spin the wheels and nothing, so I checked the options and there it was.

yeah i got the SL55 i completely lovvvvvvvvve that car is so good ive got it up to 270 on the fuji straight i gotta admit i find the F1 disappponiting(sp)

I love drifting the F1 around Fuji.Does anybody else make up my own games in free run.My favourite is when you have to stay on the grass and not stop sliding on Fuji.

I hired the game a couple of days. I did all licenses (many in gold).
I did this in 1/2 hour of practice.

It's hard to drift in GT4, you must need an highly accurate countersteer and heavy wheight shifting if you want to drift more than a few meters.

Sheron

It's hard to drift in GT4, you must need an highly accurate countersteer and heavy wheight shifting if you want to drift more than a few meters.

That's nice drifting.

I've done simmilar at new york with the V35 Skyline, but you do have to use feints (weight shift?) allot more than you do in GT3.

Race Idiot
That's nice drifting.

I've done simmilar at new york with the V35 Skyline, but you do have to use feints (weight shift?) allot more than you do in GT3.

Weight transfer (Feint) works very well and much more realistic in GT4:P to get your drift started, but its hard to keep them going all the way through and out of long corners. Shouldnt be a problem in the full version GT4 with some tuning.

Sheron

Those were nice drifts, I know what you mean about being highly accurate with countersteering, I am also learning to drift in GTP (I've already conquered gt3s drift physics) , too much countersteer then you kill the drift and turn into a wall. GTP drifts are very satisfying. Good work man!

Do you use the DFP to do your drifts?

Sheron
Driving force pro? No, thanks.

I use D-Pad, X and square (steering, accelerator, brake).

Your replays had very good controlled countersteers, something present when using a wheel. I've captured a bunch of drifts today and I'm working on a video that I should have ready soon. I've been mad practicing with the Driving Force Pro and I have it down. I can really drift the cars in Prologue well now: Cars: NSX, RX-8, RX-7, GTR so far

Not bad, you got some serious angle. Unforunately GT4:P doesnt allow to continue drifting out of the bend:(.

Back