Here's What Over 40 Years of Le Mans and Gaming Looks Like

The graphical evolution is spectacular and nice to look at. Looking forward to next gen and seeing ray tracing being introduced in various racing games.

My first exposure to Le Mans was Race Driver Grid. My feeble middle-schooler mind exploded when I saw transition from midday to pitch black midnight then back to morning. Good times.

It's a big coincidence. I started playing the first GRID again recently. Now there's this article talking about Le Mans.
I just wanted there to be a mod to increase the length of events in the game a bit and reduce money/reputation rewards, feels a little short, easy to make money and progress, specially Le Mans, on career it's only a 12 minutes event, I wish it was at least 24m, maybe 48. Longest endurance I did in a game was 4h in GT5. Prepared myself, went to the bathroom, made my chair more comfortable, and did it without pausing.

Last edited:
The Dreamcast version was my first experience on console. Just awesome. Later, I got the weak PS version, as I sold all my Dreamcast stuff.

PC2 is pretty good with old, new and multi-classes.

Little bit of a jump there after GT4 eh? Could've shown GRID or something. Neat little video, there are a lot of games I was not aware of and might try to find some of them.

It's a big coincidence. I started playing the first GRID again recently. Now there's this article talking about Le Mans.
I just wanted there to be a mod to increase the length of events in the game a bit and reduce money/reputation rewards, feels a little short, easy to make money and progress, specially Le Mans, on career it's only a 12 minutes event, I wish it was at least 24m, maybe 48. Longest endurance I did in a game was 4h in GT5. Prepared myself, went to the bathroom, made my chair more comfortable, and did it without pausing.
From memory you could change the race time on quick race mode, if you really wanted to it would let you go to 24 hours.

From memory you could change the race time on quick race mode, if you really wanted to it would let you go to 24 hours.

I meant in career mode. I know about the option in arcade.

What's the point in doing it without a reward, in a game with a career mode?

What's the point in doing it without a reward, in a game with a career mode?
Because the singleplayer mode had prerequisites, and forcing everyone to do 24 hours in order to beat the campaign mode just doesn't sound right. So the option is there, if you want to do it at your own leisure.

[...]forcing everyone to do 24 hours in order to beat the campaign mode just doesn't sound right[...]

I wanted it as an option. Maybe attached to difficulty, or maybe a multiplier. I DEFINITELY wouldn't want a full 24h race, but I feel like 4h is already a pretty big event, which is what Le Mans is. Maybe coupled with longer seasons, it could work. I would probably skip the first time, but by the second I would do it as a driver offer. Then eventually enter my own car.

What I thought of is this: Difficulty changes length: 12m | 24m | 48m | 2hr | 4hr, but you also have multipliers (up to 6x) that can give you a 24h event on the hardest difficulty. With me wanting 4h, I could play the second hardest difficulty (which is what I use on GRID), and use a multiplier of 2x

EDIT: Anyone knows how to mod this game's career?

Last edited:
nice video but they missed Test Drive: LeMans 1997 for the PC and PS1, then the Test Drive: LeMans 1999 (that everyone knows) for the PC, DC, PS2, also what is up with that skip from GT4 to Forza 7? they skipped Race Driver: GRID, Project Cars 1 & 2, GT 5 & 6, Forza 4-6. there are also various racing games they missed from the late 80s to early 90's that also featured the LeMans track

Back