HFS's car thread | Fleet update

Oh bloody hell. Now we are getting places.

I have an ARC intake for one of these if you want it :lol:

SVX
Oh bloody hell. Now we are getting places.

I have an ARC intake for one of these if you want it :lol:
This thing's basically completely standard, so I think I'm gonna keep it that way honestly. Going to assess each area of the car as it needs it basically but the world is full of modified RX-7s and I don't feel the need to add to that tally.

This thing's basically completely standard, so I think I'm gonna keep it that way honestly. Going to assess each area of the car as it needs it basically but the world is full of modified RX-7s and I don't feel the need to add to that tally.
Best way for it 👍

A small intake is reversible and can't do no harm :D Congrats btw, real early Gran Turismo vibes if it's stock

A small intake is reversible and can't do no harm :D Congrats btw, real early Gran Turismo vibes if it's stock
Very stock indeed...

Eo5C10vWMAMSBdn.jpg

Not necessarily true on an otherwise completely stock FD...they've been known to run too lean (not a good place to be when apex seals are involved, trust me :lol:) with just basic breathing mods.

I'm just trying to work out which the definitive five are... NSX, Skyline, Supra, RX-7, 300ZX, 3000GT... I make that six, so one of those needs booting out :lol:

Of course the real five JDM legends are the four generations of MX-5 and the Toyota Paseo...

When I typed it, I had in my head:

NSX
GT-R
RX-7
Supra

then I rounded up in case I left one out. :lol: Generally I feel like the 300zx and 3000GT don't have the same legacy as those, as good as they were. I'd actually include the Impreza WRX and Lancer Evo before the 300zx and 3000GT.

Yeah Impreza and Evo feel like part of the OG Gran Turismo squad. That and the... C4 Corvette and TVR Griffith :lol:

Incidentally a large part of why I bought the RX-7 is because I've already missed out on the NSX (and, from left field, the Clio V6) and didn't want to miss out on the RX-7 too.

Last edited:
When I typed it, I had in my head:

NSX
GT-R
RX-7
Supra

then I rounded up in case I left one out. :lol: Generally I feel like the 300zx and 3000GT don't have the same legacy as those, as good as they were. I'd actually include the Impreza WRX and Lancer Evo before the 300zx and 3000GT.

I feel like the DC2 Integra Type R deserves a spot...

Huge congrats on the RX-7, though. An FD is a dream car for me as well.

I feel like the DC2 Integra Type R deserves a spot...
Oh yeah, can't miss that. One of my favourite cars, though probably gets overlooked alongside all the more powerful stuff. (Incidentally I've been mulling buying one for quite some time, but when this came up I had to go for it).
Huge congrats on the RX-7, though. An FD is a dream car for me as well.
Thanks (and to the others above)! Had basically written it off just like I have the NSX, but this one came up at a price I couldn't refuse. No idea how long I'll stick with it for, depends on what use I get out of it really, but certainly want to make the most of it while I have it and while it's still possible to drive cars with quite thirsty engines at a cost that doesn't cripple me...

Last edited:
Very nice! Also love the Paseo. a friend of mine has one. Very ropey unfortunately. Being a coupe I'd not be able to resist the temptation to remove the back seats :D

Very nice! Also love the Paseo. a friend of mine has one. Very ropey unfortunately. Being a coupe I'd not be able to resist the temptation to remove the back seats :D
It may at some point become a budget track car project, but for the time being it's super cheap transportation so it's staying as it is. Quite enjoying the relative refinement compared to the Peugeot. It'll never really be worth anything either but the person I bought it off did ask I contact him if I ever choose to sell it, while an actual collector of the things has offered to buy it too if I ever get bored, so weirdly I should be able to make a bit of money on it when I do end up selling, which is another incentive not to put too much into it.

It may at some point become a budget track car project, but for the time being it's super cheap transportation so it's staying as it is. Quite enjoying the relative refinement compared to the Peugeot. It'll never really be worth anything either but the person I bought it off did ask I contact him if I ever choose to sell it, while an actual collector of the things has offered to buy it too if I ever get bored, so weirdly I should be able to make a bit of money on it when I do end up selling, which is another incentive not to put too much into it.

The Paseo needs a Castrol livery. 👍

Took the Paseo out for a quick drive today as it's been several weeks since last driving it and I wanted to check everything was still operating as it should. And of course it is, it's a Toyota from the 1990s.

IMG_6127_resized.JPG

Still finding it really refreshing to own and drive. It's the first car I've had since the Insight that isn't in any way a performance car, doesn't beg to be driven in a sporty manner, and asks basically no sacrifice of its driver in any way that would make using it every day a chore. Its "thing" is simply being driven, and it's far from unpleasant. After spending Christmas in the Mazda the only real downside I noticed today was how much piston engines vibrate :lol: Other than that everything's just so light and easy.

Does make me kinda miss the Insight though too. That car was basically perfect at what it was designed for but still an interesting object to own and could be surprisingly fun to drive.

Yeah, everything feels like a rattly old diesel after a rotary.
It's funny, I've found myself cruising along a main road at about 4500rpm and not noticing because there's no vibration telling me to change up. Maybe that's why these things use so much fuel :lol:

And have a beep.
Can't wait until turbo #2 is on song as I suspect I'll be beeping it more than I do already. Bit sluggish to get up there at the mo but when it's as enthusiastic over 4500 as it is below the beep will be useful indeed. I've no idea where the actual limiter cuts in though. It starts beeping maybe 500rpm before the red line, then there's the red line itself, and I've been 500-odd rpm beyond the red a few times and still haven't found it yet...

Can't wait until turbo #2 is on song as I suspect I'll be beeping it more than I do already. Bit sluggish to get up there at the mo but when it's as enthusiastic over 4500 as it is below the beep will be useful indeed. I've no idea where the actual limiter cuts in though. It starts beeping maybe 500rpm before the red line, then there's the red line itself, and I've been 500-odd rpm beyond the red a few times and still haven't found it yet...
The RX8 was different, as no turbos obviously, but I miss being up here. The beep was 8-something and I believe the limiter was 9500. I did hit it a few times, but then it's the law that you must beep it at least once every trip.

50000.jpg

I can't speak for the RX7, but this is what the RX8 did with regard to revs and fuel.

Idle-3750 - 1 port open
3750-5500 - 2 ports open
5500-6250 - 2 ports open plus direct intake
6250-7250 - 3 ports open
7250-limit - 3 ports open, modifed path.

At engine speeds below 3250 rpm, air flows through the primary intake ports only.

Above 3250 rpm, and when engine load is great enough, the Secondary Shutter Valve opens to permit airflow through secondary intake passages.

Above 5500 rpm, the Variable Fresh Air Duct opens to add another intake air path.

Above 6250 rpm, the Auxiliary Port Valve opens the third or auxiliary intake port for additional airflow.

Above 7250 rpm, the Variable Dynamic Effect Intake Valve opens to shorten the effective length of the intake tubes.

Fuel
Below 3750 only the Primary injectors are used. Above 3750 rpm, fuel flow from the Secondary injectors is added. If engine load increases further, fuel from Primary 2 injectors is added.

I can't speak for the RX7, but this is what the RX8 did with regard to revs and fuel.
The characteristics of that engine are one of the reasons I prefer it to the cars it tends to be compared with, the S2000 and the GT86/BRZ. All are engines that need to be revved, and all are designed to be revved, but despite the S2K in particular relishing high revs, the noise and vibrations still make it feel like you're doing something slightly wrong. In the RX-8 you could spend all day between 7k and the limiter and it'd never feel unnatural.

All are engines that need to be revved, and all are designed to be revved, but despite the S2K in particular relishing high revs, the noise and vibrations still make it feel like you're doing something slightly wrong. In the RX-8 you could spend all day between 7k and the limiter and it'd never feel unnatural.
I got that when I was in @Famine's Accord Type R. It sounded like things were grating against other things when VTEC kicked in, y0. Even though the RX8 was doing all those things with ports etc, you never felt anything. It was a seamless, smooth pull all the way through the range.

I got that when I was in @Famine's Accord Type R. It sounded like things were grating against other things when VTEC kicked in, y0. Even though the RX8 was doing all those things with ports etc, you never felt anything. It was a seamless, smooth pull all the way through the range.
That probably wasn't the car though :mischievous:

Also technically @Mrs. Famine's Accord Type R.

In the past I've actually found the K20 in the Civic R smoother than the F20 in the S2000. Not sure why. It's certainly a more tractable engine and it's geared better too, an EP3 feels much more lively than an S2000 does.

But the rotaries are on another level for smoothness. You have to have quite a few cylinders firing away before you find something that gets close. Though actually when I drove the MX-3 V6 that was smoother than most.

Phwoar, I do love an RX7! You don't see many that look like that around any more either. Clean ones are fetching some nice prices now.

Phwoar, I do love an RX7! You don't see many that look like that around any more either. Clean ones are fetching some nice prices now.
Yeah, good ones can go for quite a bit, the only way I was able to afford this one was because I got a great deal on it. I hate the idea of treating cars as investments but it does mean I should do pretty well on it if I ever come to sell the thing, and at the very least it insulates me from potential costs.

Don't think I'd gone for it if it'd been too modified anyway, never liked the idea of picking up someone else's project or modified car. It's nice owning one completely representative of when it was new, and even in the driving I've done so far it feels pretty capable. Can't wait to get it on track, and to do a bit of a road trip in it at some point too.

Hell of a thing to open my garage to though... long time before this view gets old!

Ep2z63rW4AYZAyx_edit.jpg

Last edited:
Back