HFS's car thread | Fleet update

Commitment

kia-gt-track.jpg

Finally got hold of a proper snap of me driving the Kia on track. Looking sharp. Still surprised by how well it fared, but maybe I shouldn't be - modern performance cars aren't at all bad for track work fresh out of the box. Most fit pretty good tyres as standard now, most run fairly firm setups and they can have reasonable geometry since on the road they're reined in by stability control systems, and most now have the power to get around a track at a decent speed too. Any hot hatch built more than about five years ago probably wouldn't see which way a car like this went. I think the guy in a 996 Turbo on our track day was a bit surprised that within a few corners I'd be right back on his tail after opening up a few hundred yards on every straight...

In other news, had the thing serviced today. All working fine and dandy. In other other news, I drove our long-term MX-5 on the track day too:

mx-5-track.jpg

Was also good fun, if in a different way to the Kia. Not far off being as quick, I reckon - what it lacks in power it makes up in weight. Far more agile, which you'd expect given the weight/weight distribution. Has just enough power to need some corrective lock on the exit of just about every corner, which is the kind of level I want to get my Eunos to.

As mentioned further up, the brakes showed no strain by the end of the session. Braking itself was a pain in the arse though - ours has the leather seats and they have even less front-to-back support than in my old MX-5. Felt like I was sliding into the footwell at every braking zone.

Last edited:
I'd love one of those NDs! Maybe one day. With upgraded anti roll bars though :)
Thicker anti-roll bars would definitely be a start. If I owned one I'd be tempted to go down the obligatory coilovers route, and probably have someone fiddle with the geometry. The two biggest problems for me with the ND are the roll and the slightly inconsistent, relatively detail-free steering feel, but I suspect it's not too far from being fixable. The ND Global Cup car I drove a while back was definitely better in both areas.

Don't get me wrong though - the ND is still a lot of fun.

You basically have to drive it like Gran Turismo. Even a G27 wheel has more feedback haha.
Yeah, it's definitely a bit videogamey. In my old car you become aware of the car sliding through the steering, in the ND you become aware through your butt. Always takes just a fraction longer to suss what's happening in the ND. Fine on a circuit where you have lots of space and a consistent surface, but just saps confidence a little on the road.

Iceland shenanigans and fun car thoughts

Not a lot to report recently on the Roadster. It's still sitting prone in my garage with a flat battery, and being busy with work has meant not being able to attend to it and lacking the motivation to get stuck in with jobs on the weekend, when frankly I'd rather be going out for a walk, occasionally heading off to see friends or watch some motorsport, or catching up on Youtube vids. I know, all excuses, but at least the car is staying relatively warm and dry.

In more positive news, I spent most of last week in Iceland being a hooligan in its great great grandchild:

icon-iceland.jpg

Which was obviously lots of fun. So I'm still getting my MX-5 fix here and there. The Kia is going well... I presume, since I've not seen it for the last few weeks (as a good all-rounder, it's being used as a support vehicle on all kinds of other things) and instead I've spent the last couple of weeks in our Juke Nismo RS. Which I really quite like. It's far from perfect, but since when have I been attracted to completely flawless cars?

Writing a quick feature the other week though has made me consider buying something small, ultra-cheap, fun, slightly more practical and slightly unusual as a kind of bit-on-the-side/spare car. I'd not realised just how cheap some of the maybe early-to-mid 2000s stuff was getting these days and most were rated very highly in their day. A couple of others that sprung to mind while I was writing but will probably save for an update later on are the Ford Puma and the Daihatsu Sirion Rally models, both of which I've previously had an interest in.

The general gist is no more than maybe 110-120bhp, MPG in the 40s, slightly rough around the edges in terms of character, and "chuckable", that unique quality that lets you feel you can rag the thing absolutely everywhere. Ignis, Sirion and Puma are currently top of my shortlist but there's something quite appealing about getting around 150bhp from the Colt for about a grand. Not yet owned a turbocharged car (that wasn't a diesel)...

Last edited:
More track fun

Perks of working where I work: getting the occasional excursion on track, and usually in someone else's car. Subtext is I didn't bring the Eunos to our staff track evening, but that now at least has a charged battery (or it did at the weekend - could do with driving it again soon to ensure it remains charged!).

Took the Kia:

CuB_zuIWYAELKpJ.jpg

...as well as trying our long-term MX-5 again, and the latest Clio RS 220 Trophy.

CuB_z4AWYAEkrzl.jpg

CuB_0iKWgAAQ7YJ.jpg

The Kia is still good fun on track, but I'd best describe it as a good beginner car - you can drive it fast with relatively little effort, it's fairly benign and has enough in reserve that many people would have a lot of fun - but if you're very familiar with both the car and the circuit, and I am, you quickly find the outer edges of its abilities and the outright lack of grip and power begins to get frustrating.

The MX-5 can be frustrating too. Mainly because of the steering - just not a fan of the ND's steering feel and it's enough that it'd deter me from buying one, if I were in that position. The NC improved with the facelift, so hopefully someone at Mazda will fix the steering when the ND reaches that point.

The Clio isn't a classic Renault Sport model by any stretch, but it still delivers where the Kia starts to fall down. There's more grip, more power, a slightly more aggressive balance, and stronger, more fade-resistant brakes. You can drive it harder and have more fun. Engine and gearbox could both be better, but I could actually almost see myself owning one, provided I was able to regularly take it on track where the ease of using the DCT outweighs the frustration of it not having a good manual 'box. Would add that the Clio sounds so much better now it has an optional Akrapovic exhaust. Not full-on blast-furnace like a Megane RS, but less of a tedious drone.

Edit: And also, yellow cars look absolutely bloody brilliant at sunset.

Last edited:
The MX-5 can be frustrating too. Mainly because of the steering - just not a fan of the ND's steering feel and it's enough that it'd deter me from buying one, if I were in that position. The NC improved with the facelift, so hopefully someone at Mazda will fix the steering when the ND reaches that point.

You and I get this... HOW COME NOBODY ELSE I KNOW DOES?!?!?

Every time I talk with another writer about the ND... grah... arh... aggh.

:lol:

On that note, a secondhand NC2 sounds like a fantastic buy...

Would add that the Clio sounds so much better now it has an optional Akrapovic exhaust.
Interesting Akra have slapped an exhaust on, whereas they didn't the first model X98! Has that done anything to the price over there for the GenII in the UK vs the GenI?

Interesting Akra have slapped an exhaust on, whereas they didn't the first model X98! Has that done anything to the price over there for the GenII in the UK vs the GenI?
It's a £900 optional extra here, which arrived with the recent facelift. Only available on the 220 Trophy, which has the Cup chassis as standard. Though I imagine it'd be easy enough to buy one direct from Akrapovic.

Resurrection

C73XVNZXkAIrI8Q.jpg

I don't drive this thing enough. Made amends for that over the last few days, spurred on by trying to start it the other day and the battery once again being flat. For the last couple of months it's been parked at work rather than in my garage, which is both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because it's still secure and I get to look at it every day when I'm at work, a curse because not having it at home on a weekend when I've got a press car means not driving it to keep it all healthy. This is the first time I've driven it in about a month because I've been so busy, hence the flat battery.

Things that have happened since the last update: It's been serviced and MOTd again so it feels a little fresher, the dodgy rear light wiring has been completely replaced so my indicators now work, and my battery is no longer "secured" with zip ties. Oh, and I've spent this weekend actually driving it.

Definitely need to look into the roll bar thing and other chassis reinforcements though. Still enjoy driving it, and it's great with the roof down, but it's pretty wobbly over bumps. I'm sure these things were largely fine when new, but 25 years down the line whatever structural rigidity it used to have has long gone.

Edit: And apologies for the missing images above - apparently Instagram no longer allows hotlinking.

They called me mellow yellow ♫

IMG_4354.JPG

Made a friend on the way to today's Goodwood Breakfast Club. Passed me on the way there, so I decided to follow them. Just as well they were going to the right place really.

Unfortunately, it is not a factory colour. It's a wrap. Looks great though. Mine's not looking bad either, partly because I had it washed yesterday. No other changes since the last update, but the car made the ~250 mile round-trip without any effort whatsoever. Part of the appeal of old MX-5s like this is that you never even think twice about doing modern-car distances in them.

Last edited:
That looks great in yellow. Surprised it's not an option given the recent trend in bright colours among manufacturers.
I expect they'll do a yellow special edition somewhere eventually. To be fair to Mazda, they do have a few great colours in the MX-5 lineup, albeit not many of them that bright.

Rallye the troops!

DFVe78oXsAAsaZI.jpg

I dun gon' bought another car. No, not the Caterham (which if you observe closely, has urinated coolant all over the floor), but the 106 Rallye.

Since this is a Gran Turismo forum you've probably encountered the Rallye before, but for those who haven't, it's effectively a homologation special developed for Group N rallying. 1.6-litre SOHC 4cyl with an eight-valve head, 7k redline, five-speed manual, no power steering, no electric anything, not a lot of sound deadening material, and about as basic as cars from the 1990s got (without buying a Caterham).

Why? Because I've always been interested in them and since prices are rising, it was now or never if I wanted one for a half-decent price. That, and it looks cool. And that despite all the stuff I get to drive at work, I still enjoy nothing more than a small, light car with no driver aids, a manual gearbox and plenty of steering feel. So now I have two such cars, one front-drive and one rear-drive.

It needs a few small things doing - new stickers as the old ones have faded, new engine mounts, a few scuffs and scrapes cleaning up - but otherwise it's completely standard and drives great. Not sure of the long-term plans - I think the MX-5 is still my "keeper" - but it seemed like a good opportunity to own one while I can.

Last edited:
I'm glad you've managed to get something more practical :lol:

Look pretty tidy,how has it been treated in a previous life? Completely stock from an enthusiast?

I'm glad you've managed to get something more practical :lol:
Well it's got five times more seats (still only have the one in the Mazda) and a solid roof, so it's pretty much the minibus of the fleet...
Look pretty tidy,how has it been treated in a previous life? Completely stock from an enthusiast?
Yeah, completely stock, which I was impressed by. Looks better in my grainy photo than up close, but I don't have to faff around reversing other peoples' poor modifications which is nice. Loads of history, bills, old MOT certificates etc with it too.

It's like Gran Turismo in real life but so much better. I hope it's as fun to drive as it looks.

It's amazing how some small flares, white painted steel wheels and 3 coloured stripes can make a car look so epic.

It's amazing how some small flares, white painted steel wheels and 3 coloured stripes can make a car look so epic.
Yeah, just those small touches give it a really purposeful look. It'll be even better once there are some new stripes on there to replace the faded ones.

Really is fun to drive too. The engine's surprisingly strong - pulls well at low revs but keeps going all the way to 7k without really dropping off, and the gearbox is lovely and slick even if it's got quite a long throw. Steering is heavy, but plenty of feedback through it, and while I've not fully explored it yet it's got just a hint of the lift-off oversteer that older Peugeot hot hatches were known for.

That's great news. I always wanted an S1 106 Rallye 1.3 but they are really hard to find these days.

Tyres and tracks

DHcRLDoXsAAdQru.jpg

Progress on the Pug. The tyres it wore when I bought it had plenty of tread left, but they were neither a particularly good make nor the right size - 185/55 R14 rather than 175/60 R14. Had that rectified yesterday - it's now wearing a matching set of Falkens in the right size.

All inflated to the same pressure, worn evenly and all balanced it was an immediate improvement, but it's also made the non-assisted steering just a touch lighter, which is also what I was looking for. Result.

We went out to shoot it for the magazine today and it was an absolute blast. Probably the most playful chassis of any FWD car I've driven. Has this really progressive lift-off oversteer that you can induce virtually everywhere. Expect it's a bit sketchy in the wet or at high speeds, but on a dry road at sensible velocities it's brilliant.

Also, first opportunity to take "my" other-other car on track today:

DHh6UJlXoAA0Wxj.jpg

Handled it more or less as I expected. Great balance, decent performance, doesn't eat its brakes and tyres too badly. Some uprated pads probably wouldn't go amiss, but the one thing it desperately needs to enjoy it more on track are decent seats. The standard leather chairs just aren't supportive either laterally or when braking. Had to brace myself with my knees on just about every corner. After those and the brake pads, some uprated suspension would probably be next on my list. The body roll is a bit comical.

That's great news. I always wanted an S1 106 Rallye 1.3 but they are really hard to find these days.
Thanks! 1.3s aren't too difficult to find here, but prices have started going up in recent years. Cheap ones are usually in pretty bad condition, and good ones are getting quite expensive.

So when are you going to visit Belgium?

Because I'd love to spend the entire weekend detailing that 106, it's such a cool car! 👍

So when are you going to visit Belgium?

Because I'd love to spend the entire weekend detailing that 106, it's such a cool car! 👍
Hah, thanks! I do want to do some kind of road trip in it at some stage, as it feels like that kind of car. Once I've replaced the badly-repaired exhaust and got some new stickers to replace the faded ones it'll be looking quite sharp, and once I've replaced the engine mounts it'll be in good mechanical fettle too, so I'll be keen to do some longer distances.

Went through the usual momentary bout of buyers' remorse shortly after picking it up - I didn't really need another car, it's taken a chunk out of my bank balance, it's another car to look after etc. But having had a few good drives in it now I've warmed to it a lot more. Still no idea how long I'll keep it, but probably for a couple of years at the least.

Not worth a full update and thread title change, but did another trackday tonight in the RF.

DIqcgv9XUAceNc1.jpg

Still really impressed with it. Myself and a couple of other colleagues did six sessions in it altogether in the space of three hours, and driving it home it felt no different to when I commuted in it this morning. Just seems to soak up the punishment.

Also had the fun experience of taking someone who'd never been on track in anything, even as a passenger, for a few laps around. It's really easy to get complacent when you do it regularly, but the vast majority of people just aren't aware what even a fairly humble car like this can do on a track. It was a girl from one of the other departments, and she seemed to love it - just the right mix of excitement and fear!

Incidentally, did the trackday in this rather than the Eunos because I've not driven the older car in about three weeks and it's got a flat battery again. Didn't have any spanners with me to remove the battery to recharge it, so I'm going to have to pop into work over the weekend to do that. Of course, the French car started first time when I tried it, having sat unused since the tyre change above...

Not sure if you have seen this new video from Chris Harris @homeforsummer

Saw it about a week before I bought my 106. The two events are not unrelated...

And he's right. Cars like the 205 really can be more enjoyable than the 911R. Been working where I do for nearly three years now and I still enjoy driving my two relatively slow but relatively simple cars more than just about anything we've ever had in to test, no matter how fast or flashy.

Back