HFS's car thread | Fleet update

I know this feeling exactly. When I had a chance to drive a remarkably different car (vs my Boxster) for a few days recently (Genesis G80) it was such a nice experience. I just wanted to take in more and more horizon because it felt so effortless and stately. "Fun" in a different way.
I think if I didn't do the job I do, I'd still want to go out on a weekend and drive a fun car in a fun way, but even though my car itself is very different from everything else I drive, it's definitely about the way it demands to be driven that doesn't feel different enough.
Maybe you need a Luxo-barge cleanse?
I've considered it. A "proper" classic car is also an option, or just something very different with no performance orientation whatsoever. I think the other criteria is that it can't be too much of a garage queen. Not that the Peugeot is, but because it's a rare-ish car in nice condition but still showing the first signs of rust etc, I'm quite particular about when and where I drive it - basically, I'll probably not drive it at all over winter when there's salt on the roads.

Ideally whatever's next will be something I'm not worried to use when the weather's bad - because it's bad so often here it's quite restrictive! And something not at all aimed at performance driving means I could appreciate it on any road at any time, rather than on the rare occasions I'm driving specifically for fun.

When you drive cars for a living I guess it does take the fun out of driving. Whether you are a delivery driver or a car journo, spending all week behind the wheel for work you usually end up wanting to so something else on the weekend..

When you drive cars for a living I guess it does take the fun out of driving. Whether you are a delivery driver or a car journo, spending all week behind the wheel for work you usually end up wanting to so something else on the weekend..
It did strike me recently that some of the best drives I've ever had have been more about the location than the car. And by that I don't even mean twisty roads necessarily. The two big road trips across the US were some of my most enjoyable drives.

Driving can be fun in its own right, but the thing I've always enjoyed most is where driving allows you to go - the bits of the world it can take you to. And I'm realising I can do that in anything. I'll always want to own interesting cars, and I'll still always have a long list of performance cars I'll want to own, but at least while I have this job, I'm not sure I'm that bothered about my "off the clock" driving being in something sporty, because it's giving me nothing new.

It did strike me recently that some of the best drives I've ever had have been more about the location than the car. And by that I don't even mean twisty roads necessarily. The two big road trips across the US were some of my most enjoyable drives.

Driving can be fun in its own right, but the thing I've always enjoyed most is where driving allows you to go - the bits of the world it can take you to. And I'm realising I can do that in anything. I'll always want to own interesting cars, and I'll still always have a long list of performance cars I'll want to own, but at least while I have this job, I'm not sure I'm that bothered about my "off the clock" driving being in something sporty, because it's giving me nothing new.

Absolutely this. It's kind of why I think big sporting GT coupes might be the best road cars. Have you had a go in an LC500 yet?

Yep, can attest - though in a way, being a delivery driver can still keep driving special. The extra fizz that a driver's car gives you, as opposed to what you're driving on deliveries, can help somewhat.

Absolutely this. It's kind of why I think big sporting GT coupes might be the best road cars. Have you had a go in an LC500 yet?
Yup. Very special cars. One of my favourite cars on sale, in fact. Not sure there's a better looking new production car, great interior, impressive chassis, lovely engine.

If I don't end up with a classic next (for argument's sake something built pre-1990s) I think an interesting engine will have to be a focal point of my next car. I've had a lot of four-cylinders (and a three-cylinder) but never a six or above, so I think that might be a deciding factor. One thing I've come to realise is that since an engine is (usually) always on, it's an aspect of a car you can enjoy all the time. Exception to the six-and-above rule is if I end up with a VTEC-engined Honda, which I still have a hankering for.

I think an interesting engine will have to be a focal point of my next car.
Wankel.

Exception to the six-and-above rule is if I end up with a VTEC-engined Honda, which I still have a hankering for.
I know that VTECs don't break, but when I was passengering in @Famine Accord Type R, everytime the VTEC kicked in (yo) it sounded to me like mechanical damage was happening.

I've come to realise that I like a smooth engine. The Peugeot 3.0 V6 was smooth up to a point but there was a definite surge about 3800 (IIRC) which felt a bit like some sort of VVT but wasn't, and Peugeot weren't too keen about as it didn't fit with the GT-ness of the Coupe. The rotary in the RX8 was just brilliant and there is literally nothing like it. It felt like constant, linear acceleration all the way up to 9500rpm and absolutely no vibration or raucous-ness at any point. Everything I've driven since has felt like a diesel by comparison. I can be driving along at 50-60 in 6th in my 2014 Mazda3 and I want to change up. It was the RX8 that did that to me.

I've driven an RX-8 and the engine is definitely remarkable. Unfortunately it's not something I can forsee myself just cruising around in, particularly given how thirsty they are.

I've driven a few VTECs now, and they actually vary quite a bit in character. The 1.8 in a DC2 Integra is genuinely like two different engines. A K20 in a Civic R is a lot smoother and the transition isn't as dramatic. One thing they've always had in common for me though is feeling like you could spend all day at 8000rpm-plus without them going bang.

I am a rotary fanatic and I cannot recommend an RX8. They tend to grind out syncros, especially second gear and the 13b renesis needs a fair bit of auxiliary work to become a reliable work horse. I'd recommend an FC over an RX8 for the price. Or, if the budget allows, an FD or and RX3. Mazda Cosmos are importable now as well. Those are nice cars, especially if you can snag one with the 20b. That's a nice, smooth engine too.

I am a rotary fanatic and I cannot recommend an RX8. They tend to grind out syncros, especially second gear and the 13b renesis needs a fair bit of auxiliary work to become a reliable work horse. I'd recommend an FC over an RX8 for the price. Or, if the budget allows, an FD or and RX3. Mazda Cosmos are importable now as well. Those are nice cars, especially if you can snag one with the 20b. That's a nice, smooth engine too.
Biggest RX-8 problem in the UK isn't anything mechanical - it's that they rust like buggers, like any other Mazda of that era. Having to deal with it puts me off more than engine rebuilds or the like.

FCs are like rocking horse poo sadly, and not even in the same postcode for price (RX-8s start at about £1k. FCs I think £7-8k if/when they come up). FDs are even more expensive (£10k minimum, £15k for a decent one), and Mazda sold incredibly few RX-3s back in the day so you're looking at what, £30k+ when those come up? I remember having a look for an RX-3 after driving the car below (because I loved every moment) and immediately giving up hope of ever owning one.

22071468_1934277813502686_5957655058765053952_n.jpg

I'd love an FD, but one of those isn't really an answer to my current conundrum. It'd end up being another car I'd use very sparingly, even if I got a big kick out of owning one, and ideally whatever I get next is something I want to be able to use as often as possible, in all weathers.

I know I only ever mention BMWs (I would say Porsche but pre 1990s and you’re looking at £££) but what about an E24? Or are you looking for more of a sports car and less of a GT?

I know I only ever mention BMWs (I would say Porsche but pre 1990s and you’re looking at £££) but what about an E24? Or are you looking for more of a sports car and less of a GT?
More GT than sports car honestly, but E24s have risen out of my meagre budget over the last few years, and I fear it's another that would end up being a bit of a garage queen. I'd not really want to drive one around on salty winter roads, for example.

Edit: And for clarification, I'm not necessarily looking for recommendations for my next car - it'll be a while before I even sell the Peugeot. I'm more just speaking my mind on why I'm not driving the Peugeot that much and why I'm feeling a bit jaded by driving in general at the moment.

Too late you’ve opened the flood gates now to suggestions :lol:

Last edited:
Oh god Clark you were right :lol:

Here's one of my automotive secrets though: I'm not that interested in Subarus. I'd quite like to try a bugeye, and individual examples (typically Imprezas) would end up on my lottery-win list (Series McRae and a 22B), but the AWD rally monster for me has always been the Celica GT-Four.

And lest it be said, that's another performance car, and I drive performance cars every day of my life.

Would you ever prefer something like a Rallye but one that wasn’t as original (and therefore not as valuable/cherished) and turn it in to a track car?

I’d love a second car as a weekend sports car or a track car but I can’t even dream of affording a third car for me and my wife alongside 6 month old daughter/mortgage/saving to move house.

I miss the E30 with its compact ness/ small ness and would really love another one or something GT86/Elise etc vein. Not too quick but interesting and fun on a twisty road/track.

Would you ever prefer something like a Rallye but one that wasn’t as original (and therefore not as valuable/cherished) and turn it in to a track car?
At some stage I'd like to have an actual competition car or track car, but now's not the time. I'd feel less precious over the Rallye certainly if it wasn't as nice, but again it comes back to me not really feeling like having a "fun" car at the moment. Basically I'm thinking something I can cruise in, rather than something for B-roads.

At some stage I'd like to have an actual competition car or track car, but now's not the time. I'd feel less precious over the Rallye certainly if it wasn't as nice, but again it comes back to me not really feeling like having a "fun" car at the moment. Basically I'm thinking something I can cruise in, rather than something for B-roads.
80s and 90s Japanese v8 cars a good for that.

Do you miss the Panda?

I miss my Mazda 2 in that it was a fun but completely ubiquitous and replaceable car. Utterly low-stakes ownership. From what you've described, the Panda was quite similar.

Do you miss the Panda?

I miss my Mazda 2 in that it was a fun but completely ubiquitous and replaceable car. Utterly low-stakes ownership. From what you've described, the Panda was quite similar.
Not really. It was a cool little thing, and the newest car I've ever spent my own money on, so had that ease of ownership of something new. But the Rallye, age aside (it's ten years older) kinda does the same thing but better. Not as a daily driver obviously, but they're both tiny, fun cars, and the Rallye is the more visceral experience of those two.

Nothing like going for a drive to make you forget thoughts of selling a car...

EJQ3edRXUAEWJ8D.jpg

Nah, I've not changed my mind that quickly. I mean I wasn't thinking of selling it immediately anyway. And one swallow doesn't make a summer, but a quick drive has reminded me how damn good this thing can be.

I had some outside inspiration too, as this article on Speedhunters popped up recently and I spotted it the other day. I love the steering wheel, and I love the shifter that car has even more. Intrigued to see how it fits, and how many changes need to be made to fit it. The idea of some buckets and a new steering wheel have crossed my mind a few times recently - more to save the originals from further wear than anything, though I'd not object to sitting a bit lower and holding some suede...

Personal Grintas are my very favourite wheel - more due in part of their use in Super Tourers;

images

They're simple, and just look great... when you wear gloves. I think you could get away with it due to it being a very far and between occasion that you'd actually need to drive it (ie. it's not like you'll be dailying it), but for me I would prefer just having a track wheel and street wheel.

My favourite shift knob is Battlecraft's - I think it's a replica of a 250 LM shifter - but it's simple enough that it looks great, while also being a sorta useful shape and size.

70772564_778211645930777_2739284254985772925_n.jpg

SVX
They're simple, and just look great... when you wear gloves. I think you could get away with it due to it being a very far and between occasion that you'd actually need to drive it (ie. it's not like you'll be dailying it), but for me I would prefer just having a track wheel and street wheel.
This would be as much to preserve my normal wheel as anything else. The standard wheel is plastic and after 20+ years it's beginning to degrade. I think the design was only ever used in this particular car so keen to minimise the damage. Ditto the seats and seat fabric - replacements are hugely expensive now.

I had some outside inspiration too, as this article on Speedhunters popped up recently and I spotted it the other day. I love the steering wheel, and I love the shifter that car has even more. Intrigued to see how it fits, and how many changes need to be made to fit it. The idea of some buckets and a new steering wheel have crossed my mind a few times recently - more to save the originals from further wear than anything, though I'd not object to sitting a bit lower and holding some suede...

Suede wears quickly, on race cars you wear gloves but for a road car leather is better. Suede looks nice when new but not after a couple of years. A smaller wheel is always super nice, I guess a deep 350mm wheel is my favourite. Buy a proper one and you will have it for a long time.

On a side note, Ben Chandler used to write for Fast Car and Mark Riccioni from Max Power. Brought me back a decade and a half.

Suede wears quickly, on race cars you wear gloves but for a road car leather is better. Suede looks nice when new but not after a couple of years. A smaller wheel is always super nice, I guess a deep 350mm wheel is my favourite. Buy a proper one and you will have it for a long time.
There's a couple of reasons for wanting suede. As @SVX notes I won't be driving the car frequently, so wear won't be too bad. Secondly, I'm not actually that keen on leather. And thirdly, I don't think leather would suit this car really.

Not sure what design I'm going for yet but I actually like some of the two-spoke rally wheels. As well as that Personal wheel, I'm also a big fan of the Momo Montecarlo.

Incidentally, I'd be going for a fairly large diameter. The car doesn't have power assistance, and I tend to prefer a bigger wheel anyway. The wooden item in my MX-5 was 360mm I think.
On a side note, Ben Chandler used to write for Fast Car and Mark Riccioni from Max Power. Brought me back a decade and a half.
I've actually worked with Mark before, when compared both generations of NSX in Japan...

8S4A8532_resized.jpg

That was a good day at work...

Incidentally, both my current and previous editors both worked for Max Power over the years too.

How about something completely different? Like a full sized pickup truck like a Ford F150?

How about something completely different? Like a full sized pickup truck like a Ford F150?
Something completely different is the plan, but something like that has a few problems.

Firstly, there just aren't that many around here. Secondly, because of their scarcity, people charge way more for them than they're objectively worth (2002 V6 for nine grand, anyone?). Thirdly, I'm almost certain it wouldn't fit in my garage.

And fourthly, I can't bring myself to be quite that hypocritical to drive around in a large pickup even though I bang on about minimising environmental impact. I don't dislike certain trucks or other big vehicles, but I have a bit too much of a social and environmental conscience to drive one on a regular basis...

Sports Sedan? :cool:
I really don't know at the moment. The biggest problem is because I'm not finding driving itself that enjoyable, there seems little point getting anything that's designed to be sporty. One of the other limiting factors is, I think, that whatever I eventually get needs to makes sense monetarily. Something that costs a lot to fuel, or to insure, or to maintain, isn't going to convince me to drive it more often.

Back