Drivetrain: FR
Price: 34.490
Tires S2
Both tracks i done 3 laps and also done every track on S2 tires

Holden Monaro CV8 Times
0-400m Drag time - 13.808
Trial Mountain 3 laps - 1.41.030 best timecould have been mid 1.40s
Tsukuba 3 laps - 1.04.439 best time could have been high 1.03s

I really like this car it is nice to drive and looks and sounds good too :)

FPV GT
0-400m Drag time - 13.756
trial mountain 3 laps - 1.38.737 best time
Tsukuba 3 laps - 1.03.543 best time

I like this car to but the monaro handles better imo and i would have the monaro instead, this sounds better then the monaro imo but i like the monaro more

Pontiac GTO 5.7
0-400m 13.879
Trial Mountain - 1.38.832
Tsukuba - 1.02.609

This car handles great and it really helps wit the times as u can see
Thx Gagtooth
any suggestions for other cars to compare i got 2.3mil to spend and its burning a hole in my back pocket :)

The Falcon has 1 hp for every 3.99 kgs, The Holden has 1 hp for every 4.29 kgs.
I was expecting the Ford to be faster.
To make things equal add 118 kg ballast to the Ford and then compare your lap times.
Or you could add 25 hp to the Holden to equal out the playing field.
The Pontiac GTO version may be closer to the Ford as it comes from the dealer with slightly more power.

you say the the monaro handles better but your track times sugest the ford does.

nice figures tho.

I'd like to see a comarison of them completely stock :D

Great Idea 👍

Actually I did something like this as well... I ran the Monaro, SS, Ford GT and Typhoon (yep, all Aussie :) ) together for a few laps around El Capitain.

I know exactly how you feel.. the Monaro feel faster and seems to handle better... the GT understeers like you wouldn't believe and is a bit of a handfull... but it was quicker...

Somehow, it just didn't seem right. :indiff:

i find the GT easy to steer, although it does understeer quite a bit i think you jsut have to be smooth with it and not too aggresive, i compared em all stock on Nurburgring, drove each one till i got completely clean laps, GT was somewhere around 7'50, while the other 3 cars all were about 8'05-8'10, Monaro being the slowest of the 3 but thats probably down to the amount of corner on nurb allt he tiny mistakes add up, the typhoon, SS & Monaro are very well matched up.

On Tsukuba i would expect the SS to almost beat the GT, its got better handling than the Monaro, so aorund such a course like Tsukuba I'd jsut expect the other 3 to really give it to the GT, particularly the SS.

Also, yuove got some pretty damn good times there, im doing the 9 hour enduro right now with the GT, fastest lap so far 1.04.051. (on S3's & completely stock). Having a good tussle with an RX-7
edit- jsut remembered I brought sports suspension to improve its chances around Tsukuba, so not quite stock.

The time are alot slower with b-spec about 7-8secs slower than my times.
I might do a few laps around nurburgring in each car and see what times i get.

I love the nurburgring :) :) :)

Hi guys (and Ving) , I just had to go and buy them all stock. No Mods, as per PD spec

Here's my times and comments on our domestic taxi's

Tsukuba circuit

4th FPV Typhoon 1'05.385
3rd Monaro CV8 1'05.097
2nd Commodore SS 1'05.084
1st FPV GT 1'03.825

Car Comments

Lucky for me I have driven all of these cars in real life at Wakefield Park, a track not unlike Tsukuba.

Both the Fords are prone to understeer and are reluctant to turn in. The GT with it's understated 290Kw (actually 242Kw @ RW) has tons of grunt and is not really comparable to the Holdens, a better match would be a HSV R8 (PD didn't even approach HSV, how dumb was that?)

The Typhoon understeered even more than the GT, not my experience the real life Typhoon has a lot less weight over the front and is less prone to understeer, however it still pushes more than the Holdens

Both the Commodore and Monaro recorded similar lap times and felt similar(no surprise as they are the same under the skin). The feeling of going faster can be attributed to the Holdens keeness to turn into the apex of a corner, something all racers appreciate, so while they may be slower in lap time, add 20% more HP (to equal the GT) and they easily do a 1'02 at Tsukuba, beating the GT.

Motor Magazine lap times (same day same venue)

Deano from Motor Mag has punted all of these taxi's around Eastern Creek, (lucky bastard) and he recorded the following times;

1st. Commodore SS 1'55.26
2nd. FPV 1'56.99
3rd. Monaro 1'57,21
4th. XR6Turbo 1'58.05

The Typhoon did not run as it had been recalled due to clutch probs, now fixed but would still be slowest

His comments were that the GT was quick down the straights but not sharp through the corners
The Commodore had only average straight line speed but put its power down well on exits

If I HAD to race one of these taxis I'd choose an SV8 Commodore - even less weight than the SS, but I prefer to hand them their ass in my MX-5 :)

(spot on PD 👍 except methinks you were too geneous to FPV GT )

Nice comparison, but I think when it comes down to it I'll choose the Monaro every time.

The GTO is just a plastic rip-off of the Monaro :yuck: , and the Ford is always going to be an also-ran isn't it? ;)

The Monaro's a true Aussie icon, unlike the other two. A great car has got to have some heritige and history behind it, that's what makes it great and sets it apart from the rest...

slammer
Hi guys (and Ving) ,
umm... not sure how to take that.
I am a guy too.
but hi anyhow...

been to wakefield a few times, its a nice track.
shame they are turning oran pk into residential tho :(

No offence meant Ving, just answering your request for stock comparo.

:)

BTW we have a track day on the 29th at Wakefield if you'd like to enter forms are available from the MX5 Club of NSW site:

www.mx5.com.au

Pity about OP, though the facilities and track is quite run down, I still love the short circuit and especially the flip-flop 👍

ferrari_chris
Nice comparison, but I think when it comes down to it I'll choose the Monaro every time.

The GTO is just a plastic rip-off of the Monaro :yuck: , and the Ford is always going to be an also-ran isn't it? ;)

The Monaro's a true Aussie icon, unlike the other two. A great car has got to have some heritige and history behind it, that's what makes it great and sets it apart from the rest...
:odd:
so the XT- XY GT's werent aussie icons..? Hmm.. confusing, I sorta thought they were LEGENDS..

But hey, what do I know its not like they dominated the aussie muscle car scene and set new standards... no wait, actually, they did.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

tomvale13
:odd:
so the XT- XY GT's werent aussie icons..? Hmm.. confusing, I sorta thought they were LEGENDS..

But hey, what do I know its not like they dominated the aussie muscle car scene and set new standards... no wait, actually, they did.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Ahhhh, touche.

I was going to say that the new GT is nothing like the old GT's, but then the new Monaro isn't really like the old Monaro's is it? :guilty:

Fair call.

;) Pity about the Typhoon and those clutch problems though eh... ;)

slammer
No offence meant Ving, just answering your request for stock comparo.

BTW we have a track day on the 29th at Wakefield if you'd like to enter forms are available from the MX5 Club of NSW site:

www.mx5.com.au

Pity about OP, though the facilities and track is quite run down, I still love the short circuit and especially the flip-flop 👍

yeah oran pk isw just down the road for me... I'll miss it :(

slammer
Hi guys (and Ving) , I just had to go and buy them all stock. No Mods, as per PD spec

Here's my times and comments on our domestic taxi's

Tsukuba circuit

4th FPV Typhoon 1'05.385
3rd Monaro CV8 1'05.097
2nd Commodore SS 1'05.084
1st FPV GT 1'03.825

Car Comments

Lucky for me I have driven all of these cars in real life at Wakefield Park, a track not unlike Tsukuba.

Both the Fords are prone to understeer and are reluctant to turn in. The GT with it's understated 290Kw (actually 242Kw @ RW) has tons of grunt and is not really comparable to the Holdens, a better match would be a HSV R8 (PD didn't even approach HSV, how dumb was that?)

The Typhoon understeered even more than the GT, not my experience the real life Typhoon has a lot less weight over the front and is less prone to understeer, however it still pushes more than the Holdens

Both the Commodore and Monaro recorded similar lap times and felt similar(no surprise as they are the same under the skin). The feeling of going faster can be attributed to the Holdens keeness to turn into the apex of a corner, something all racers appreciate, so while they may be slower in lap time, add 20% more HP (to equal the GT) and they easily do a 1'02 at Tsukuba, beating the GT.

Motor Magazine lap times (same day same venue)

Deano from Motor Mag has punted all of these taxi's around Eastern Creek, (lucky bastard) and he recorded the following times;

1st. Commodore SS 1'55.26
2nd. FPV 1'56.99
3rd. Monaro 1'57,21
4th. XR6Turbo 1'58.05

The Typhoon did not run as it had been recalled due to clutch probs, now fixed but would still be slowest

His comments were that the GT was quick down the straights but not sharp through the corners
The Commodore had only average straight line speed but put its power down well on exits

If I HAD to race one of these taxis I'd choose an SV8 Commodore - even less weight than the SS, but I prefer to hand them their ass in my MX-5 :)

(spot on PD 👍 except methinks you were too geneous to FPV GT )

Do you work for motor as a helper or some such thing? If youve drove a typhoon i say your the lucky basterd. The GT you drove, was it the one that made 242kw at the rear wheels? Also wondering if Motor has asked the guys down at FPV wether this ones an anomoly or maybe they are jsut maknig the engines better (they are hand built after all), cos 320kw at the flywheels a bit of a jump from 290, you would think they start quoting the GT at 320, interesting. Although even with the more pwerful new HSV VZ range & the mkII no more powerful (or so they claim) FPV outsold HSV in short wheelbase models last month :)

edit-I buy MOTOR mag every month, best read there is.

You guys may be interested to know that at ten years old these makes of car are in reality about the most unreliable things on Australian roads. (NRMA 2nd hand vehicle compare). Have a look at the stats if you don't beleive me.
The makes are heavily promoted in this country in order to cover their inherant lemon status. Of all the vehicles available in GT4 These would be the last I would purchase or waste my time with IMHO>
gagtooth
put the Pontiac GTO times in there put the specs up soon

foghorn_100
You guys may be interested to know that at ten years old these makes of car are in reality about the most unreliable things on Australian roads. (NRMA 2nd hand vehicle compare). Have a look at the stats if you don't beleive me.
The makes are heavily promoted in this country in order to cover their inherant lemon status. Of all the vehicles available in GT4 These would be the last I would purchase or waste my time with IMHO>

Sing it sister!! Testify!!

[FPV]Rusty
Do you work for motor as a helper or some such thing? If youve drove a typhoon i say your the lucky basterd. The GT you drove, was it the one that made 242kw at the rear wheels? Also wondering if Motor has asked the guys down at FPV wether this ones an anomoly or maybe they are jsut maknig the engines better (they are hand built after all), cos 320kw at the flywheels a bit of a jump from 290, you would think they start quoting the GT at 320, interesting. Although even with the more pwerful new HSV VZ range & the mkII no more powerful (or so they claim) FPV outsold HSV in short wheelbase models last month :)

edit-I buy MOTOR mag every month, best read there is.

lol ive driven afew typhoons and a tornado ;) alot of fun (working for ford has its benefits :) )

foghorn_100
Hey lady, just who are you calling sister?????

I might run into you you know, you live in my town so to speak so lets watch our vernacular!!!!

I was actually agreeing with you through with a preacher-like enthusiasm,
but if it must be so, Ill always carry a nice dress and a pretty little sun hat as a gift in case we do meet.

I compared the monaro and the gto not long ago. Oh wait, it was long ago! Anyway, i tested them as the came when bought, and the gto won, by a nose and a bit more.

Just to throw a cat amongst the proverbial pidgeons, I have been testing these four (I haven't bought the GTO yet - but I will!) in fully modified condition. I am testing all my cars on the Rally d' Capri. It has the advantage that when I've done it twice I get lots of money to spend!

My Results found the two Fords better than the Holdens. (Disappointing for me personally - having recently sold my project, an EH convertible).

With maximum possible modifications:
Typhoon :713hp and a lap of 1:53.425
GT: 651hp and 1:54.102
Monaro 683hp and 1:56.895
SS 687hp and 1:57.414.

I found the Typhoon handled exceptionally well, the GT understeered slightly as many have already observed, and both the Holdens suffered from difficulty in gettting their power down. I was struggling with wheelspin and very abrupt oversteer. Great fun, but obviously affects their times.

Wow the aussies get all the good toys. Despite the USA being the land of the muscle car you could be hard pressed to find a V8 powered RWD car at an american dealership that is as sporty the holden or FPV cars.

We do get the GTO and it has been bumped up to 400hp for 2005 with no change in price.

We are starting to get a few more V8 powered cars again. Dodge has recently released the magnum which is a sporty V8 RWD wagon and the charger which is a sedan version of the same car. They get a 345hp version of the new hemi V8 but sadly only come with automatics. The GTO is at least available with a 6 speed manual. A car like the FPV typhoon would probably sell very well in the US if ford was willing to bring it over.

The new Z06 vette should be loads of fun though. 500hp this next time around, now its literally just a slightly detuned C6R engine.

jmillheiser
We do get the GTO and it has been bumped up to 400hp for 2005 with no change in price.

You do know that your GTO is just the Monaro rebadged and with extra plastic, right?

While there are a limited number of "copies" in GT4, I always thought that direct competitiors might be good to compare. Stuff like the Honda Accord vs. Vauxhall Vectra, or Civic Type R vs. Peuguet (speeling?) 206. Stuff like that. Cars that are competing for the same buyers in the same market. Just an idea.

I ain't got time to do stuff like this myself, but would be interested in reading about other people's results. :)

Back