• 84 comments

Paulie

VF Ute Driver
Premium
Australia
QLD, Down Under
GTP_Paulie
Paulie LDP
Today I picked myself up one brand new VF SV6 6spd manual Ute. There are a number of accessories to come that will transform the look of this Ute, but I was so excited I took some pictures the first chance I got when I brought it home this afternoon.
[Pictures no Longer Available]

The next 1,000-5,000km of driving are all to be nice and easy to run her in properly, I'll try to do everything right hopefully without obsessing-no promises! :dopey:
In a week and a half, I get front/rear mudspats, headlamp protectors, black front grille surrounds (to replace those chrome ones) and black side fender vents (to replace the chrome ones). Then, as soon as possible, I'll be getting a hard tonneau cover (tray/tub lid). I know the style I want but I'm undecided on the brand. There will be black rims going on one day, probably once I wear out the first set of tyres, so that's a ways off. After that, undisclosed performance modifications that won't void the warranty before it expires.:dopey:

Edit: Photo from a recent event after I had coil-overs/sway bars fitted.
Circuit_Coffee_edit.jpg

Last edited:
In my opinion the VF is a massive step up by Holden's design team and the ute is the best looking of the batch! Great choice buddy, here's to many years of happy cruising 👍

Nice! I'm a sucker for UTE's.

I like the subtle censoring on the red cars in the background ;)

There it is! Looks fantastic mate, let me know once you've run it in a bit, we'll take the cars for a bit of a burn

Nice. I would love to have an UTE.
I do wonder if there are any that can fit 2 passengers in the front?

Great stuff 👍 Hadn't heard anything about your old one so this is rather out of the blue - good that you've continued with the same colour though :)

Thanks guys! It's a mark of self restraint as I baby it around to run her in as per the owner's manual, I can't wait to open it up.

Nice! I'm a sucker for UTE's.

I like the subtle censoring on the red cars in the background ;)

Subtle is my middle name.:sly: They had business names and phone numbers on them though, didn't want spammers flooding us in.

There it is! Looks fantastic mate, let me know once you've run it in a bit, we'll take the cars for a bit of a burn

Absolutely, with the km's I drive it will probably take about 8 weeks.

Edit: Oh, and the poor old girl, my VR, met an unfortunate demise towards the end of last year when some others had an accident in front of me on a bridge I couldn't avoid.:indiff:

I'm thinking of running Penrite 10 tenths premium 0W-50 oil in my car, does anyone have any comments or past experiences/recommendations? The regular oil most Holden dealers use is Castrol Magnatec 5W-40, they are both fully synthetic.
It's not normally required, but I'm going to replace the oil and filter at the first 3,000km service just to be on the safe side, I only want the best for my new car.:sly:

Thanks guys! It's a mark of self restraint as I baby it around to run her in as per the owner's manual, I can't wait to open it up.

Subtle is my middle name.:sly: They had business names and phone numbers on them though, didn't want spammers flooding us in.

Absolutely, with the km's I drive it will probably take about 8 weeks.

Edit: Oh, and the poor old girl, my VR, met an unfortunate demise towards the end of last year when some others had an accident in front of me on a bridge I couldn't avoid.:indiff:
It's a shame to hear about the vr finishing up like that mate, congrats on the new beast 👍

Alright, so we'll call this "VF Ute Stage 1", as I'll still be getting black rims, big brakes and lowered suspension one day. But for the sake of the new accessories I've had fitted, here's the Ute today. New features are the front and side black grille surrounds and the hard tonneau. The hard tonneau is made by Flat Top and is the same style they use in the V8 Utes racing series, however this one is a road version which can be painted and is slightly heavier. This one weighs in at 22kg which isn't much more than the soft tonneau to be honest, it's a good lightweight hard tonneau.
VFStage1_001edit.jpg

VFStage1_002edit.jpg

VFStage1_003edit.jpg

VFStage1_004edit.jpg

VFStage1_005edit.jpg

Drove past one of these today, and man they look good in white. Will look good lowered over some black rims 👍

Haha not likely, I could probably have afforded the 6.0L SS but I wanted the V6 as they're a little more original to hot up, and have the added bonus of handling better and being cheaper. Plus LS7s are actually really difficult to make fit in Commodores.

Haha not likely, I could probably have afforded the 6.0L SS but I wanted the V6 as they're a little more original to hot up, and have the added bonus of handling better and being cheaper. Plus LS7s are actually really difficult to make fit in Commodores.

I personally would have opted for the 6.0 if ya got plans of hotting it up and had the coin for the ss, but hey that's just me, powercruise this weekend Queensland raceway 👍

I personally would have opted for the 6.0 if ya got plans of hotting it up and had the coin for the ss, but hey that's just me, powercruise this weekend Queensland raceway 👍

If I can one day find an engine upgrade package I'm happy with, be it turbo or what ever, I'll have a V6 that'll put the hurt on most mild V8s, to me that's a little more special, but to each his own and I still love V8s. If I was Richy Rich rich I'd own a few Holden V8s.

Well there you go, my VF SV6 Ute has just run a 15.346 at 94.07mph down the quarter mile at a relative altitude of 1009-what ever unit they measure it in at the drags. That's about what I was expecting, it's quite slow, and had a deal amount of what felt like axle tramp to me although this was only my first time at the drags. I'll post a YouTube video of my 5 runs as soon as I figure out a little bit of editing trickery to merge them together and how to actually post it on NoobTube. It's fair to say I was a total noob out there tonight.:banghead:
It does make me want a turbo kit even more now. For the record it was run totally stock in full street trim. I didn't lower tyre pressures, remove spare wheels or jacks and the car has done around 5,000km so it's fully run in.

Sorry for the double post, but it'd been a month!

I've heard you're better off with a supercharger rather than turbo for the Alloytec. Turbos have done in a fair few motors.

All I've heard is that Alloytecs can handle a fair whack of power on stock internals regardless of method of forced induction, but nobody in Australia seems to have done anything with the direct injection motors yet. There are a number of American groups turbocharging them though with decent success.

Fun! I should have gone out there and had a race, maybe next time.

There's always the Circuit & Coffee in November.💡

I spoke to some people today who tell me I should have launched it at higher rpm to get more wheelspin and a much faster launch and avoid that nasty axle tramp, maybe next time I'll try it. Then again, maybe next time I'll lunch it.:scared:

If you lunch it it's still under warranty as long as you don't tell them it was at the drags ;) Anyway I'm sure you won't lunch it, it'll take it.

Boost pressure is boost pressure. As long as it's tuned right and doesn't over boost it doesn't matter whether it's coming from a turbo or a supercharger. Turbo that bad boy :)

Oh and probably not going to make Circuit and Coffee, it's a little frustrating to be honest having no track space, plus I'm trying to save to work on my cooling issues so I can really hit the track hard :)

I've just recently put in adjustable coil-overs and hollow sway bars on my Ute. Had it lowered ever so slightly (it's pretty much at minimum legal ride height now) and took it out to a Downshift event where you get to cruise the track and race each other down the straights (it was alot of fun for me!). At least there were a few cars out there I could beat, lost to most everything else though. This is about the only picture I have so far, I do have a rear 3/4 picture my cousin sent me as I was passing the car she was in but my computer is ignoring the fact it's on my phone.:odd: I was also disappointed to find out recently there will probably never be an aftermarket for this motor in Australia. I may have to settle for a catback exhaust and OTR cold air intake and leave it as a sedate daily driver. The coil-overs are very nice, they ride really well, barely stiffer than the factory suspension, and the Ute sits a lot more level now (stock the rear is raised for load carrying).

Circuit_Coffee_edit.jpg

Latest Posts

Back