Holden VF SV6 Ute- New Drag Video

• Thread starter Paulie
  • 84 comments
That's the intake manifold, the cover is far smoother but not on the car based on a Google search.

I've been driving an SV6 sedan rental car for the last 4 days. Not too bad just far too big compared to the Starlet and MR2. Goes quite well but it's so heavy that the engine feels slow. Auto box is OK but sports shift is a bit too delayed. But then I am biased to manual JDM cars :rolleyes:

Yours looks far nicer being a ute and with the wheels you have on it.

That's the intake manifold, the cover is far smoother but not on the car based on a Google search.
I did think that was a crazy move to make. I work in design and would never even dream of specifying a component like that if it was remotely cosmetic. No one wants a grubby component that's a nightmare to clean!

Yeah I took the engine cover off, I like to see my engine no matter how unattractive it may be.
Got the strut top mounts replaced tonight, knocking noise is gone. I have been starting to get a sticking clutch pedal, a quick search on the interwebs didn't really reveal too much in a way of common problems for these. Do any of you think it could just need a fluid flush?

Yeah I took the engine cover off, I like to see my engine no matter how unattractive it may be.
Got the strut top mounts replaced tonight, knocking noise is gone. I have been starting to get a sticking clutch pedal, a quick search on the interwebs didn't really reveal too much in a way of common problems for these. Do any of you think it could just need a fluid flush?
Never hurts to do a transmission fluid flush. Just make sure you get some good oil back in there!

Did the clutch fluid flush, I didn't realise how bad it was and what a difference it could make! Front tyres and wheel alignment go on Saturday then I should be heading out probably for a drive with a work colleague who just bought a 370Z.

Did the clutch fluid flush, I didn't realise how bad it was and what a difference it could make! Front tyres and wheel alignment go on Saturday then I should be heading out probably for a drive with a work colleague who just bought a 370Z.
I should probably do the same on mine, but BMW don't recommend a fluid change on the E46 gearboxes. Apparently they don't need it.... ?

I should probably do the same on mine, but BMW don't recommend a fluid change on the E46 gearboxes. Apparently they don't need it.... ?

This is clutch fluid, not gearbox fluid. I don't know if your BMW has a cable operated clutch or hydraulic operated clutch. When it comes to gearboxes, some transmissions are indeed filled for life, though I don't know if/when really is a good idea to service them.

Last edited:
This is clutch fluid, not gearbox fluid. I don't know if your BMW has a clutch or hydraulic operated clutch. When it comes to gearboxes, some transmissions are indeed filled for life, though I don't know if/when really is a good idea to service them.
Oh right of course. I've read reports of people doing their gearbox fluid at 100k miles (I'm on 81k so sometime in the future maybe!) but my clutch is going through a few shuddery times. I'm looking at a solid-mass replacement for the dual-mass that's in at the moment. Will look at fluids and that if/when I do the clutch swap.

Oh right of course. I've read reports of people doing their gearbox fluid at 100k miles (I'm on 81k so sometime in the future maybe!) but my clutch is going through a few shuddery times. I'm looking at a solid-mass replacement for the dual-mass that's in at the moment. Will look at fluids and that if/when I do the clutch swap.

Something to always consider before going solid mass conversion is the mad vibrations at low rpm. I'm not a fan of them, but if you need to upgrade the clutch, there's generally no such thing as a heavy duty dual mass flywheel kit.

Something to always consider before going solid mass conversion is the mad vibrations at low rpm. I'm not a fan of them, but if you need to upgrade the clutch, there's generally no such thing as a heavy duty dual mass flywheel kit.
Only real reason I was going to go solid mass was for track days. Dual mass will be easier on daily, but solid mass will withstand more punishment on track. Never really considered the vibrations though...

Ladies and gentlepeeps! I went on a drive today up the mountains which presented an opportunity for a mate to film my engine note. Behold! :lol:

I also found out my clutch pedal is still sticking to the floor on some hard shifts.:( It had started a little before the engine "upgrades", so it's not causal. It would seem maybe my master or slave (concentric) cylinder is on the way out. I hope it's part failure and not something somewhere that simply isn't up to the task and would need an upgrade.

Only real reason I was going to go solid mass was for track days. Dual mass will be easier on daily, but solid mass will withstand more punishment on track. Never really considered the vibrations though...

Well you're on the money, solid mass flywheel clutches are more durable. I don't know enough on the topic, and I suppose every engine might react/behave differently with a solid mass conversion. I've only been in two cars that had it. My old VX Commodore had one (LN3 GM 3.8L V6) which vibrated kind of bad at basically anything below cruising engine speed (so around like 1500rpm), and my brother's Pajero has one which also vibrates below 1500rpm. Different gears also do it more/less probably depending on how much they labour the engine I guess.

That's not the usual note to come from an Aussie ute but it sounds really good. I'm not a V6 fan at all but you got me with this one. Best thing about it is being manual, loud exhausts on an auto make me cringe every time I hear them.

Nice work on the ute. I hope you can sort your clutch issue without having to do major work.

That's not the usual note to come from an Aussie ute but it sounds really good. I'm not a V6 fan at all but you got me with this one. Best thing about it is being manual, loud exhausts on an auto make me cringe every time I hear them.

Nice work on the ute. I hope you can sort your clutch issue without having to do major work.

To be honest the exhaust it still rather quiet, in isolation like this it's alright, though my mate was following me in his stock 370Z (which was REALLY close in pace btw, probably slight edge to the Z though), and they said that with the windows up they couldn't really hear my Ute at all.

I didn't realise I had this photo, it's actually very dirty in this pic, but meh, it's hard to tell.

Had the clutch kit replaced with a heavier duty unit, the old pressure plate was apparently shagged which was causing the sticking. I must say, so far it seems to drive really nicely, despite being a solid mass flywheel conversion as the engine never really labours so I don't get nasty vibrations. It engages quickly and smoothly, and the grip point is very close to the floor which seems to make re-engaging after a shift very fast. I'm hoping to go to another Circuit & Coffee in March, and probably take more video.

I love the feeling of a new clutch. If it's done right it removes all the problems that were there before but can cause major issues if done wrong.
Good to hear yours is working well.

When I replaced mine it removed the shudder when coming to a stop even with my foot right down. That problem was a warped pressure plate. It's now incredibly light too but you still get feeling in the pedal to control it properly. It's just an OEM replacement kit so not like an upgrade like yours. 165hp shouldn't need anything special.... :embarrassed:

Went on a country back road drive yesterday, got a nice photo. It's a good thing the twilight hides dirt after it rained earlier that day. ;)

15022017162.jpg

15022017159.jpg

15022017158.jpg

Got ma video from Circuit & Coffee!:dopey:

Found out the really long jump from 2nd to 3rd gear just totally cripples this engine, most other cars were well in to 4th long before I even reach near the top of 3rd. It's also got me pondering a Raptor supercharger when their kit comes out later this year, I don't feel the gearbox would take the power, so I enquired with a company today about custom strengthened gears, might even be able to fix my ratios problem. Not if it's too expensive though, which I bet it is.
My rotors seemed to be warped as well, don't notice it on the street but during heavier braking on the track I was getting shudder. I'll get the mechanic to measure the rotors, but I'll probably end up replacing them with DBA Street Series Cross Drilled rotors which look like this:
upload_2017-3-8_21-20-8.png

I also got a quote on EBC Red Stuff pads, if anyone has any experience or has heard what these are like I'd love to know. I'm not out at circuits doing time attacks or anything, but I do like twisty roads and events like this Circuit & Coffee where you're braking from 150+km/hr at the end of every straight. Not on the limit but enough to pull up, you know? It seems they'd suit that type of event, I just don't know how they'd go on the street, especially if they'd get too cold after cruising on the highway a while to be useable on the street.

Ended up going with EBC RedStuff pads and some DBA street series slotted rotors (found out the cross-drilled ones are just for show, not for go). The pads felt like they had good initial bite, but the jury is still out on their heat/fade resistance. I think I should get braided lines first to make up my mind. Anyway, went to another Circuit & Coffee, included more footage of other cars there this time. Hope you enjoy.:)

Been a while again since I posted here. I did get some BF Goodridge braided lines, I'd recommend it for anyone as a must get cheap upgrade to your brake system. It gave me a firmer and more consistent pedal feel. In the end though, my car being as big as it is, I think it's simply putting the little factory brakes through too much. I'm going to keep an eye out for some used HSV brakes. I went on a mountain run with some friends, about half way down the other side I got pretty bad fade. I do like mountain runs, you can have lots of fun within the speed limit, and it's a good social outing with mates as you stop along the way. Anyways, here's a picture of mine and a couple other cars that were there at the top of Mt Nebo.
29072017165.jpg

Tonight I plan on going to the drags and filming it. I'd be happy with a low 14 but that may be optimistic, we'll see.

Edit: Ran a 14.627 at 98.87mph. Kind of disappointed, I was hoping to get a low 14 and crack 100mph. There may be a tenth or two in it with a really good run (my driving is meh), but once I can go through the video editing crap tomorrow I'll post some runs to YouTube and post here.

Last edited:
Edit: Ran a 14.627 at 98.87mph. Kind of disappointed, I was hoping to get a low 14 and crack 100mph. There may be a tenth or two in it with a really good run (my driving is meh), but once I can go through the video editing crap tomorrow I'll post some runs to YouTube and post here.

It's been a long time, I just wanted to share my new HSV brakes straight from a Gen F HSV Maloo R8, a major upgrade over the family spec standard brakes. In a week it goes in for a diff ratio swap to 3.70 (from 3.27). And yes the car is very dirty in this photo.:lol:

02052018200.jpg

Back