Honda Civic - 10th/11th Generation

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 641 comments
The Limited Edition Type R doesn't do so well on a bumpy track. Jump to 15:54 for lap. Think I would be a tad disappointed if I ordered one, though I'm sure the values will be crazy.

First uncovered pics of the hatch.

2022-honda-civic-hatchback-rear-revealed-jpeg.221980

c17e2724-680e-4896-9967-de8b284b81c6-jpeg.221976

Also there's a lot of reviews out for the sedan. Here's the one from Throttle House:

I still don't like it.

It looks like a Volkswagen.

Last edited:
Here's the one from Throttle House:

I like the trick with the Accord. The main thing I noticed was the wheels.

This design is a bit plain and I prefer the previous generation. It just looks too much like a slightly shrunken Accord. On the positive side, they didn't go more extreme the way BMW did.

The interior looks pretty good though. I'm interested to see what they do with the Si.

I still don't like it.

It looks like a Volkswagen.

One thing that drives me crazy, and it's even visible in this title still from the youtube video, is that the apparent hood gap on the new Civic isn't consistent from some angles. It's how cars look after they've been repaired poorly after a crash. On either side of the Honda nose badge, the panel gap disappears almost completely. :crazy:

I'm not seeing how people see the Accord in the new Civic. The Accord's silhouette is completely different and virtually all of the surface treatments are different.

2020-honda-accord_100716077_h.jpg

There is nary a horizontal line on this Accord. The belt line is a smooth arc from the headlights, up and over the door handles, and back down to the tail lights. It actually curves back down toward the ground, like a boat tail. And it has no deck lid at all, the greenhouse being a smooth arc almost all the way to the rear with a nice coupe-like profile.

The Civic on the other hand has shoulder line as straight and flat as any Volkswagen has ever had. It's missing the deep undercut at the bottom and the flaired body feature under it which gives the Accord a weird prototype race car vibe. In my opinion it's got a pretty upright greenhouse and a noticeable decklid. And the tail light treatment looks like a cross between a Jetta and a Legacy. I'll concede that they have the same pointy chrome thing at the end of the side windows but that's about it.

44de357246c55751e48f6b9612999586.png

I'm not sure the average driver will see the difference. Unless, they look at the badge and sticker price.

honda-civic-hatch-11gen-007.jpg

That looks bad(through my eyes).

That $125 annual servicing cost is needed. Especially now law are forcing dealerships to share data. It may not be free data, but owners being able to see their local mechanic without fear of penalty by not going to the dealership, dealerships need to respond with lower servicing costs.

Now this looks great. I hate the sedan because it's boring, derivative, an exact copy of a VW. But this hatch has a weird and interesting shape that I like, and nice tail lights that actually look Japanese and distinctive.

f6343229366d297ddbd6146a1d66f1ba.png

fccf9fba0164455fa82f1f3e5d8b4740.png

f883033620130fda181fbfdfbddb6fe5.png

769b1acc12fbdc0baa060b597be0d855.png

The Mazda 3 looks better in every way and has less miserable engine and drivetrain options.

Last edited:
The light bar is similar but it's a good design imo and all three of the cars combine it into their overall design package well. I don't think it looks out of place on any of the cars you mentioned. Combined with the rest of this Civic, the rear makes it look like a fun little hatchback which is what I think of when I think Japanese car. Those cars you mentioned have very different vibes about them but look great in their own right. The Volkswagen Jetta does not look great.

But overall is anybody else in agreement that the previous gen's front and rear lights on all body styles looked better? They were way more distinctive and looked like nothing else on the road.

Last edited:
I like both generations, but the taillights on the new sedan are definitely a bit uninteresting. Hatch is definitely the way to go here.

As a European, I'm visually offended we've gone from this perfect slice of Techno-spacecraft look to what the last one and now this generation have become as world cars.

generation82006-39c.jpeg

Both generations look like older designs.

I've been looking at this again...And I really like it - exterior, interior, space, the blue color, minimal piano gloss black. Even the wheels are pretty good. This little toaster should sell like hotcakes.

The Sport trim gets the 2.0L NA engine and the Sport Touring gets the 1.5L turbo. Both can be optioned with a manual transmission.

Last edited:
To me with the hatch, the front and rear look like they’ve been stitched together from two different cars. The hatch looks like it’s supposed to be sedan, but they’ve just cut the rear off it. The overall shape sort of reminds of a Scion, the TC it may have been?

VXR
As a European, I'm visually offended we've gone from this perfect slice of Techno-spacecraft look to what the last one and now this generation have become as world cars.

View attachment 1062367

Both generations look like older designs.
I actually thought the rear of the new hatchback reminded me of this generation with the light bar and the exhaust cut-outs.

It is surprising how good the spaceship gen still looks today, give it a few modern tweaks and it has the potential to look like the Hyundai Ioniq 5's twin! 🤭

I have been thinking of buying an '86 CRX. If so, it will be my 4th. Low mileage, repainted, all original.

If the hatchback offers a naturally aspirated option as reported, that will be a change from the 10th generation. The current generation can only be optioned with the turbo engine. 👍

I'm pretty sure I saw a Civic on the road yesterday. A white sedan. I only saw if from the rear so it could've been myriad other things, who knows, but I think it was a Civic. It was massive lol. Looked bigger than the current Accord. I was in my Sequoia and my first thought was, "Damn, guess nobody needs to buy an Accord anymore".

Edit: After seeing Savage Geese's video, yeah it was definitely a Civic. A yuge Civic.

Last edited:
I felt the old 10th gen was big enough really. This one being even bigger is of no surprise.

The car that I feel is better attuned to my sense of purpose is the Mazda 3 SP25. This used to be a $25,000 car here in manual trim.

And what a great car it was. I took one of these around and wondered why anyone would buy a Mazda 6 for about $7-8,000 more.

C segment sedans and hatches are now very big simply because almost every segment has gotten large. Look how big a BMW 3 is now.

I think however with the lazy distribution method here there will be one option... the same old turbo 1.5 with a CVT.

For ordinary people this is fine however this is not a format I could ever live with. I would rather hunt out an older Mazda 3 with the 2.5 n/a and a conventional six speed auto but then the day I buy a C segment hatch is basically never. I need a compact SUV like a CX5 or a 4x4 diesel truck.

So...we need to talk about this new Civic.

Somebody in my complex just got one, a base model with the small wheels and plastic covers. It's a silver sedan. It's not a stand-out, that's for sure. Pretty plain, pretty Jane, pretty boring, would immediately get lost in any parking lot in America, probably the world. It's a car.

At least, everything behind the A-pillar is a car. The front end, however...

smiling-portrait-of-a-large-adult-male-hippo-at-the-zoo-E0C657.jpg

worlds-longest-nosed-dog-1.jpg

d2253469782dc7967c1149dfd474675b.jpg

040506_sci_moosenose_hmed10a.jpg

The nose of this thing is horrible lmao. It looks ridiculous. It's got a monstrous snout like a moose and deep-set eyes like a Neanderthal and a gaping maw below that. It's bad man, it looks really bad. People keep saying it "looks like an Accord" and, um, I can only assume they've never seen an Accord because this Civic is nothing like it at all. The front of this thing is all sorts of not good in person. The small wheels aren't doing it any favors but the fascia is Neanderthalic (probably the best word I can come up with) no matter what wheels you put behind it. And I do mean behind it, because the front end sticks past the front wheels nearly two feet. It's atrocious.

So yeah, the aft 3/4 of the car are fine, inoffensive, adequate. The front is absolutely woeful. I feel bad that it was born that way and I empathize with the difficulties of parenting this Civic child...but damn I'm glad that ain't my kid.

Just watched this again to compare my observations and I noticed something interesting: At no point in this video is a "parking lot" view of the front end shown. Every single angle of the front end is either far away, or taken at door-handle-height (who the hell views a car from the hip?) or both. That video is not representative of what this front end looks like when you walk up to it and see it. This is one of the ugliest cars on sale today, full stop. The headlights are literally underneath the rolling brow, like a caveman.

caveman.jpg

And the problem I'm worried about with the hatch is that while the hatch itself looks great it does nothing to address the dopey pre-human fascia.

Last edited:
And the problem I'm worried about with the hatch is that while the hatch itself looks great it does nothing to address the dopey pre-human fascia.
After the 4 series grilles, everything else doesn't look so bad.

Back