Honda Civic - 10th/11th Generation

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 641 comments
Hopefully this marks the death of the stupidly ugly front quarter windows that have plagued cars like the current Subaru lineup.
Unlikely. That's all to do with the rake of the windscreen and the size of the resulting glass that needs to slide into the door. The more raked back the 'screen, the more likely it is to have little quarter windows, at least in more practical vehicles like sedans and wagons.

Not sure why this hasn't been posted yet...

1433989653675303339.jpg

C&D - Jalopnik - M/T

The official images really make the car seem quite large, and quite a large step-up from the previous model. The last few Civics really felt like they were far behind where the rest of the competition was going, and at least on the surface, this one looks like its turning those expectations around. Size wise, it looks a bit big, and it looks like there is more room inside... But I'd be interested to see how much of that is the visual look, not necessarily actual changes.

New engines are here, and they're saying they're pretty powerful. The standard 2.0L is supposed to be quite an upgrade, while the all-new 1.5T (only available on the EX-T and EX-L models) is supposed to be "the most powerful non-Si Civic engine, ever." Whatever that means. Apparently prototypes were making north of 200 BHP, so that could be good fun with the proper suspension underneath. Unfortunately, its CVT-only on the 1.5T for now.

Motor Trend
Driving the new Civic should feel at least a little bit sportier, too, as the seating position has been dropped 1 inch from the current car. The 2016 Civic uses a redesigned front strut suspension and multilink rear setup mounted to an "ultra-rigid" rear subframe. Hydraulic compliance bushings are used to isolated road vibration and improve ride quality. Front and rear stabilizer bars have also been beefed up, and disc brakes have been made standard at all four corners. A new agile handling assist brake-torque-vectoring system is available for enhanced cornering ability.

All good signs, I suppose. And they're doing the dual-boot Apple Car Play/Android Auto thing. Nice.

Only thing that has me worried is how much of an inflation the car will take on price. The Civic is already priced a good bit higher than a comparable Focus or Elantra, and moving it too far upmarket is going to alienate some folks. Furthermore, we still don't know what's up with the hatchback we've been promised, let alone what other "sporty" options Honda seems to be implying that we'll have.. Aside from the Si and Type-R. Either way, I dig it quite a bit.

If it truly is just a liftback on a sedan's body, I'm still down. The old Mazda 6's hatchback was one of the coolest models of the early '00s that sadly didn't see a second generation. It gave you a lot of the practicality of a hatch without going to a bodystyle a lot of Americans don't like (myself excluded here). If anyone could get it right, I suppose it is Honda.

2005_mazda_mazda6_4_dr_i_sport_hatchback-pic-8243421337924613147.jpeg

So...it's a shrunk Honda Accord now? Really Honda? Come on that's not great. :indiff:

If it truly is just a liftback on a sedan's body, I'm still down. The old Mazda 6's hatchback was one of the coolest models of the early '00s that sadly didn't see a second generation. It gave you a lot of the practicality of a hatch without going to a bodystyle a lot of Americans don't like (myself excluded here). If anyone could get it right, I suppose it is Honda.

Yeah we have an 06' "hatchback" Mazda6...it's a great car. 👍 Actually that's exactly what our car looks like, except it's blue. :3

I stand by the fact that if this ends up in Europe, then it's going to bomb. The last two Civics have been highly successful because of the brave styling. This is several steps back.

VXR
I stand by the fact that if this ends up in Europe, then it's going to bomb. The last two Civics have been highly successful because of the brave styling. This is several steps back.
I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up an epic failure here in America as well.

VXR
I don't know. Now that many other brands are trying to make themselves a more exciting image, a more conventionally styled car would likely take some of the buyers who don't want an exiting car, but simply something to take them from A to B reliably.

As insufferable as TFLC can be at times, they've got a decent look at the new Civic

The interior looks much more impressive than I had expected, but I really don't know if I like that touch-sensitive volume control on the steering wheel. Seems like it'd become a problem way too quickly.

As insufferable as TFLC can be at times, they've got a decent look at the new Civic

The interior looks much more impressive than I had expected, but I really don't know if I like that touch-sensitive volume control on the steering wheel. Seems like it'd become a problem way too quickly.

All the fingerprints

I'm dying for more info on the next Si. Don't care much for the Type R because it's too expensive and I would rather drive the Focus RS anyway.

Um the generation after it had the Liftback.

It's even on GT5/6

The coupe looks alright. Knowing the length of the new model, those doors look positively huuuuuge.

The local Honda dealer did call me to let me know that the first of the '16s showed up today and I can come in any time to give them a look. As much as I talk about buying a new car, this is pretty much the only one that interests me at the moment. Shame the EX only comes with the CVT. I'd love to see that trim with the 6MT instead.

The absolute cheapest you can buy one is for $19,745 + tax, title, registration...

I hope the Si doesn't cost more than $25,000 + ttl...

Hard to say, honestly. Considering that the gap between the outgoing car and the new one wasn't nearly as much as I had expected, I think it'd largely be a game of what kind of equipment Honda decides to make standard. Assuming the Si is basically an EX-T with a stick, there's a good chance that it hovers right around $23.5-24k to start, and will probably jump north of $25k when you add things like Honda Sense, leather, and all that jazz.

Still, even with the base trim model, you're getting a lot more car for your money than I thought. Residuals tend to be pretty good on the Civic, often a good $3-5k better than some of the competition over five years. I'll keep you posted on what kind of crazy pricing they have on the Civic sometime next week, I plan on going to drive an EX on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Back