Honda Civic - 10th/11th Generation

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 641 comments
Power output is meaningless without knowing what it weighs and by the looks of it, it weighs way too much.
I just watched a video on facebook with the reveal and the very first point on their presentation was "lightweight body and chassis". I'm guessing slightly under 3k pounds.

My 2002 Si was a porker at just under 2800. Motor was blah. Blah car. My 1994, that I still have, started at 2178 (only at 1697 now).

My only point is, I guess, cars are too big! This thing is the size of the last Accord.

My 2002 Si was a porker at just under 2800. Motor was blah. Blah car. My 1994, that I still have, started at 2178 (only at 1697 now).

My only point is, I guess, cars are too big! This thing is the size of the last Accord.
Your 1994 also wouldn't pass today's crash test standards. Yes cars are heavier these days, but they are also stronger and safer. As long as this car is under 3,000 lbs, it'll be fine. In fact, I just looked up the weight of the current Civic coupe on their website and it says curb weight is 2,700-2,900 lbs.

I guess Mazda find a way to make cars lighter than their predecessors. A marque such as Honda, should be doing the same.

Is the North American Type-R heavier than the Si?

The car doesn't need to pass today's crash standards. I can still drive it.
And that is your risk to take. All I am saying is that new cars are required to meet those safety ratings and safety equipment is not light. A modern, comfortable, safe Honda Civic that weighs 2,700lbs is actually quite good.

I guess Mazda find a way to make cars lighter than their predecessors. A marque such as Honda, should be doing the same.
Largely depends on the type of car. If we want to compare apples to apples here, the Mazda 3 and the Civic hatchback both weigh in the 2,800-2,900 lb range.

Is the North American Type-R heavier than the Si?
Hatchback is heavier for one, add in the larger engine and all the turbo stuff, I would say more than likely.

Largely depends on the type of car. If we want to compare apples to apples here, the Mazda 3 and the Civic hatchback both weigh in the 2,800-2,900 lb range.

Hatchback is heavier for one, add in the larger engine and all the turbo stuff, I would say more than likely.

Seems that way. New Mazda CX-9 is lighter than the outgoing car. That's mainly due to 10year old technology. I think BMW 4-series are a bit lighter as well. I guess weight is a gray area with cars these days. GT-R was designed to wear it's weight. Then, Corvette sheds weight in past Z06.

Anyway, Type-R used to mean lightweight, NA race car for the road. Seeing how this is an Si, I'll leave it be.

Nissan finally announces the Sentra Nismo, and then Honda quickly one-ups them.

To be fair, there wasn't much to one-up.

I get why the Si won't be available as a hatchback, as that'll be reserved for the Type-R, but I'm still a little sad it isn't happening. That being said, the Si seems like a great step up from the Civic Sport, and the extra power will be a welcome improvement to continue testing the chassis. I do wish there were a few more touches in the cabin to set things apart (extra RED everywhere can only go so far), but the fancy seats are a nice touch. Here's hoping pricing isn't downright stratospheric, and, that Honda makes Android Auto/Apple CarPlay standard from the get-go.

Yes cars are heavier these days, but they are also stronger and safer
Just cause a car needs more reinforcement to pass newer safety standards doesn't mean that everything needs to be bigger, my neighbor has the new Civic coupe and the back seat room is the same as her old 8th gen. Civic sedan. They made the car more roomier inside but it also makes the car bigger.

Just cause a car needs more reinforcement to pass newer safety standards doesn't mean that everything needs to be bigger, my neighbor has the new Civic coupe and the back seat room is the same as her old 8th gen. Civic sedan. They made the car more roomier inside but it also makes the car bigger.
I never said they had to be bigger, that's owners complaining about needing more room that does that. I'm just saying more, stronger materials adds weight. Anything at or under 3k pounds these days is most definitely considered light.

When people compare a 90s Subcompact Civic to a present day almost mid sized one, the name might be similar but they are not the same car.

My Mazda 2 is almost the Size of what the 323 was in the 90s, infact the car is wider, but hey my car is also lighter then one, with a 6 Speed Manual and produces more power from a smaller engine, not to mention it has crap loads more kit with a MZD Screen, more safety etc, technology eh?

I would have preferred a DCT but presumably the CVT will have paddle shifters to replicate the feeling of one.
Lots of that going around already. The Sentra NISMO has a CVT option and I found it's manual mode (no paddle shifters unfortunately) to be good. The "shifts" were pretty quick.

Last edited:
Lots of that going around already. The Sentra NISMO has a CVT option and I found it's manual mode (no paddle shifters unfortunately) to be good. The "shifts" were pretty quick.

As well as the WRX's CVT option.

It turns out that the CVT was only a rumor.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/nope-there-will-not-be-a-civic-type-r-with-a-cvt/?src=socialflowFB

2017-Honda-Civic-Type-R-118-626x383.jpg

I was slightly interested in the new Si, but they lost me with those huge fake fends on the rear. And they've definitely over done it with the Type R...

Honda's performance division used to matter to me (and the market) back in the day. They've got a lot to prove.

Putting a turbo in the Type R doesn't sit well with me. It's like when Chevrolet killed the signature 4 oval taillights on the Corvette for the 7th generation. I wonder if people will swap a K24 into it lol.

I actually think the Type R looks 10 times better in the flesh than in pictures. Actually, I think it looks great! The only issue I have with it is that since it's a hot hatch, it's too large to make that aggressive styling really work.

If they'd make a 2 door coupe with this kind of styling, it'd look like it had come straight out of Star Wars!

I was slightly interested in the new Si, but they lost me with those huge fake fends on the rear. And they've definitely over done it with the Type R...
Seeing the new Si in a non-press photo/spy shot is what caused a good friend of mine to cancel his deposit on a Type R, as the car's exterior looked like the R's, sans spoiler.

He felt that they could put any spoiler they wanted on it, it would still look ghastly.

Back