1/64 Model Collectors Thread

• Thread starter SVX
  • 55,425 comments

Do you take your cars out of the blisters?

• Yes.

Votes: 315 50.8%
  • Kinda, I open most of them.

Votes: 127 20.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 90 14.5%
  • Yes and no. I buy a second for opening/customizing.

Votes: 125 20.2%

• Total voters
Mattel workers in Malaysia apparently use potatoes for cameras.

11158088_680616028732934_1187993349_n.jpg

Ack, what's with the awful yellow squares?
Why not just make it more closely resemble the actual Italian police design? Or at least not uglier than the real design.

Yes you should.

Here they are...

The outer box, which has a ton of shelf wear, most of which is from before I bought it. I did get it for 50% off (60 bucks in 1999) because of this.
J9XWz9N.jpg

Print of the design sketch of the London Taxi that is included in the set...
J3BUhji.jpg

A couple of photos of the cars in the set... They're all ex Corgi Juniors castings, and most of them never saw much use by Mattel, and some of them were never issued in the US outside of this set as far as I know. The two 911s are the only cars I was able to find variations of in the US.
MmFZ37p.jpg

jlzdIL4.jpg

All of them were released with the exception of the widened BMW.

Cool set. Alwayts wanrted one, too expensive to justify.

Here they are...

The outer box, which has a ton of shelf wear, most of which is from before I bought it. I did get it for 50% off (60 bucks in 1999) because of this.
J9XWz9N.jpg

Print of the design sketch of the London Taxi that is included in the set...
J3BUhji.jpg

A couple of photos of the cars in the set... They're all ex Corgi Juniors castings, and most of them never saw much use by Mattel, and some of them were never issued in the US outside of this set as far as I know. The two 911s are the only cars I was able to find variations of in the US.
MmFZ37p.jpg

jlzdIL4.jpg

Damm Scarface, for a guy who doesn't post here often, you sure have posted something that more than compensates for that... It is truly a great (and rare) set of cars, which are all very good. Who knew that gold & black make for such good friends? :drool:

Oh yeah, JPS cars did that, never mind.

So I was unaware that Greenlight made Daytona Prototypes...

1_64_Grand_Am_Group.jpg

And now I want them.

Aaand the plot thickens... I did not know that either, never thought that there were scale models of DP cars. Thank you, Greenlight, now I have one more reason to be jealous of those who have easy acess to your cars.

Picked up a few Hot Wheels for a change yesterday. (Four is a few right?) VW Caddy, Honda Civic, Mazda RX-7 and a Mystery Models Lotus Elise I found at Woolworths while doing some grocery shopping.

007.JPG
I really want this, but that price is a budget killer.

Damn, it looks so awesome but $60? I don't see that in it at all. :crazy:

Last edited:
Picked up a few Hot Wheels for a change yesterday. (Four is a few right?) VW Caddy, Honda Civic, Mazda RX-7 and a Mystery Models Lotus Elise I found at Woolworths while doing some grocery shopping.

View attachment 353646

Damn, it looks so awesome but $60? I don't see that in it at all. :crazy:
For you.. yes I'd say that's a few. For me a few is... 16? I think. Lol. Pictures when I get home. Seriously digging that lotus.

Harrah! So. More New. Went to a collector friends place, did some trades, then hit up a nearby Kmart. Lots of good stuff.

IMAG0478_1_zps9ca72c20.jpg~320x480

The green/gold Kenmeri.
Actually got this yesterday, found it at a Walgreens. Considering the Kenmeri is pretty much my number one car in anything ever of course I had to get it. And I don't know which one I like better..

IMAG0490_1_zps19034fb9.jpg~320x480

'11 Charger R/T's and 08 Challenger SRT8.
i love the new challenger, and I didn't have one.. so there's that. Love that color scheme. The chargers are not my favorite but they're cool. I got those kinda just thrown into another trade. I prefer the black and grey.

IMAG0491_1_zps30fbb440.jpg~320x480

IMAG0492_1_zpsee5fdb5b.jpg~320x480

67 mustang fastbacks, first pic. 68 Shelby GT 500s, second pic.
The foursome are all nice looking. my favorite is probably the white one. It's very pretty. I don't have a lot to say about them.

Oh except they tricked me. See this?
IMAG0493_1_zpsa2e604e6.jpg~320x480

At first glance I thought they were a new then and now pair, but They're not. Just very similar.

IMAG0494_1_zps8268a36e.jpg~320x480

JDM goodness. Ae86, which I have the now frs to go with it. Honda S2000 in nice Orange. Datsun in Kmart exclusive yellow. Honda civic si is a new one for me. It's Totally and old ricer style casting, but I like it. It's clean and not bad looking. Looks like it's smiling.

IMAG0495_1_zps355c2e96.jpg~320x480

Thought this pair was a then and now too.
Ford mustang 07 and mustang concept.
The concept I don't really care about, but it goes with the mustang timeline iv been filling out. The 07 though, is probably one of my favorite new mustang castings. It's pretty awesome.

IMAG0496_1_zpsa2c0d658.jpg~320x480

Matchbox BMW M1. Hot wheels 65 ranchero.
Love the bmw, a great casting and a car I really love. The ranchero I enjoy, because I like utes, and it's one I didn't have. Like the little hood pipes on it.

IMAG0497_1_zps34822b00.jpg~320x480

70 Challenger and 68 Dart.
Mopar, had to have em. Love the dart casting not the paint though

IMAG0498_1_zpsf6d0d9cc.jpg~320x480

396 and monte are Kmart exclusive. Like em both alot regardless. The corvette looks reallly good in purple in my opinion

IMAG0499_1_zps9bf5abc6.jpg~320x480

Favorite corvette of the newer generation, the ZR1. And the copo camaro zamac. Both stunnning. Evenn if I don't care for the camaro as a car.

Last edited:
I'm not either. R34s anyway :P

axia tranpio 1991 kyosho nissan skyline gt-r r32

Wow, now that's a GT-R livery I had never seen before in my life. Is it wrong to admit that I actually like the way it fits with the R32 body? It's like an art car, or something along those lines...

Forgot to mention I swung by the Walmart by my work on the way home last night. Picked up a couple mystery cars, the MR2 (going in the donation pile) and there was one of the chase(?) golden Corvette's so I grabbed it. Looking on eBay I can make a few bucks off it. They also had the recent dump bins, tons of F&F cars (picked up a 350Z to keep on my desk at work) and still no Transit Connects. :grumpy:

Forgot to mention I swung by the Walmart by my work on the way home last night. Picked up a couple mystery cars, the MR2 (going in the donation pile) and there was one of the chase(?) golden Corvette's so I grabbed it. Looking on eBay I can make a few bucks off it. They also had the recent dump bins, tons of F&F cars (picked up a 350Z to keep on my desk at work) and still no Transit Connects. :grumpy:

The corvette is possible chase. I've seen pictures of regular and rubber tire versions.

Pretty sure a rubber tire version doesn't exist.
Lemme see if I can find it.

Edit: no luck right now. I swear the other day I saw something about it, and some guy was like "hey I found this today" and had the regular plastic tires one and some other guy was like "is yours on plastic tires? mine had rubber" and had a pic. I mean I guess he could have modded it. It looked pretty legit. I found one of those things like 2 weeks ago, and stripped it down cause I don't like it. Lol.

Last edited:
Made $30 tonight selling my old display cases that I made out of shadow boxes. The guy that does maintenance for my apartments collects all sorts of stuff, including old redline HW and he wanted them.

@R1600Turbo
IMAG0513_1_zps947832fe.jpg~320x480

;)

So now that I'm done teasing. Today was a good day. Went to Pikes Market. I know you all are like what?
Pikes is a big.. craft market I guess, but it's not. It's an area in Washington state that is a huge marketplace with tons of stores. About half is normal street stores and the other half is all inside a big old 6 story building from the 30's. It's one of my favorite places ever. Well today I found a new shop a guy had set up, all models and diecasts. Nice guy. Cars stacked to the ceiling. Shoulda took some pictures. Oh well. Anyway, I didn't buy any classics or anything cause he was asking more than I wanted to spend on most but! I happened across a bin of loose 1:64 scale cars. Hot wheels, matchbox, maisto and jada mostly. No premiums. So the deal was they're all modern. He basically goes and buys 5, 10 and 20 packs, tosses em all in the bin and sells them a quarter each. So I started digging. Tons of cool stuff, but I pretty much stuck to hot wheels/matchbox. More of those than anything else anyway. So final bill.
38 cars. 1 quarter a car. $9.50. Obviously... I'll be returning.

On to tiny toy cars!
Mb - matchbox
Hw - hot wheels

IMAG0514_1_zps3074c0b0.jpg~320x480

Mb Volkswagen W12, hw Aston One-77, mb Ford GT
The Vdub is a new casting for me and is one that I actually really like more every time I look at it. Had no idea what it was when I found it. Aston is Aston.. so it's pretty and I want. The Ford GT, isn't my favorite, but it's still nice. It's a modern GT, and I already have 2 GT-40's.

IMAG0515_1_zps497fb464.jpg~320x480

Hw 69 COPO Corvette, MB Corvette ZR1, HW Corvette ZO6
Copo is really cool, and I like the color. The ZR1 cause I like the ZR1, though I think the hot wheels casting of this one is better... Z06 because. Well honestly, while I don't like the newer vettes in real life, I dig them in tiny car form.

IMAG0516_1_zps62a54165.jpg~320x480

Hw Ford focus RS - love the real car, so why wouldn't I have the little one? Such a crazy monster.
MB Ridge Raider - this thing is spot on to a Bowler wildcat. I'm pretty sure it is one in disguise.
Hw Toyota Tacoma trophy truck- this thing is so cool! I want another so I can put correct tires on it. I like all forms of racing and I'm partial to trophy trucks

IMAG0517_1_zpsbbf01b8a.jpg~320x480

Mb lotus Exige, HW lotus Espirit-
I'm a fan of lotus, and so I like these. The Espirit seems.. large but maybe it's just me. The exige is perfect.

IMAG0518_1_zps0a4875a0.jpg~320x480

Hw 61 impala, and mb 69 Cadillac.
Got these for the same reason. Big old boats are cool, and I don't have any. Also, pink impala equals winning. Also I think those wheels on the caddy are sick, and nail it perfectly.

IMAG0520_1_zpsb0271f2f.jpg~320x480

Mercury Cyclone - I actually thought this was a torino when I grabbed it. But hey it's still really nice, and unique.
Ford Fairlane - love the yellow and black, plus I think fairlanes are one of Ford's better muscle cars.
Charger - again, mopar.
Dodge Dart - say it with me. Mopar!

IMAG0521_1_zpse0b84860.jpg~320x480

Mazda Furai x2 - I like the concept of the furai and I'm a rotory addict so I like them. In theory I like the black better, but the gold shows details better.
Lamborghini Countach - a classic Lamborghini, and such a good color. The only issue is the side vents are just barely indents, nd don't look even close to real.

IMAG0522_1_zps575916ad.jpg~320x480

Mb Porsche 911 turbo, Carrara Cabriolet and 914 - love the 911, so 2 more for the lineup. The cabriolet I should have left. The turbo is nice, but the 914 is gorgeous. The only Porsche besides the 911 I'd be content owning.

IMAG0523_1_zpsb0f9fde1.jpg~320x480

Pontiac Firebird - the only firebird I like,
Ford torino. - I like torinos. Love the clean color scheme.
Pontiac GTO - if it was anything else it would have stayed, but its a GTO.
Chevy Nova. - potential best muscle car of the day, only beat by one car. Love the matte grey and yellow on it.

IMAG0524_1_zpsf3e14836.jpg~320x480

Pretty self explanatory. I explained why I like all these and it's no different now.

Favorite castings of the day
IMAG0525_1_zpsf427f16b.jpg~320x480

Maverick Grabber - oh so sick. Nice casting, great colors. The closer one is actually dark green.
Fiskar Karma - beauty casting, nailed it in every since
65 GTO - My favorite GTO ever, and I really dig the colors.

Also for those of you who haven't seen it.
IMAG0526_1_zpsf1d1f2e6.jpg~320x480

Fisker actually has solar roof panals.

IMAG0532_1_zps0ff4f211.jpg~320x480

This one just made me smile so I had to get it. All metal except the seat. Makes me wish for super tiny real riders.

And now the best pick of the day!

IMAG0528_1_zps166a7076.jpg~320x480

IMAG0529_1_zpsa37d484e.jpg~320x480

IMAG0531_1_zps66f8df06.jpg~320x480

Matchbox 1968 Lamborghini Miura
So firstly. I adore this car. I want one more than almost anything in the world ever. And matchbox nailed this perfect. I wish there was a premium model. The color, the dimensions, the wheels. It's absolutely perfect. I consider it a true art piece, right up there with the Ferrari F40 and the Nissan Skyline Kenmeri.

Parting shot

IMAG0536_1_zps5597a1b3.jpg~320x480

Back