How could a circuit generator work?

• Thread starter B Top
  • 19 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Been thinking this for some time, had a quick search and couldn't see anything specific on this.

Having some type of circuit generator in GT is something many people are interested in having. From a layman view point there are apps and programs that i use in cycling that give the ability to generate routes with proper evaluation changes. As i have no idea on coding or what would be involved, i will presuppose that the data I'm generation with the below would "easily" be added to the game and scenery could be randomly generated...

Load the tracking program onto your smartphone / gps devise. I use Stava for cycling and would work if you drove, walked, ran or whatever on your chosen route. When you have finished your circuit or time trial 1 way route, you will end up with something like this:

This is a 2d overview of the route and below in the grey area is the elevation.

Another program i use shows this in a 3D format that's a little easier to understand

(these are 2 different rides but you get the idea!)

All thats needed is to put some environment and bobs your uncle... a new custom circuit!

The thought of mapping my work commute in my rear car (mk6 Golf R) and then driving that route in game in err, not a mk6 golf r is awesome! Those wicked roads close to home you know would be great if they were 1 way and private would become a reality!!!

Wishful thinking?

Been thinking this for some time, had a quick search and couldn't see anything specific on this.

Having some type of circuit generator in GT is something many people are interested in having. From a layman view point there are apps and programs that i use in cycling that give the ability to generate routes with proper evaluation changes. As i have no idea on coding or what would be involved, i will presuppose that the data I'm generation with the below would "easily" be added to the game and scenery could be randomly generated...

Load the tracking program onto your smartphone / gps devise. I use Stava for cycling and would work if you drove, walked, ran or whatever on your chosen route. When you have finished your circuit or time trial 1 way route, you will end up with something like this:

Another program i use shows this in a 3D format that's a little easier to understand

All thats needed is to put some environment and bobs your uncle... a new custom circuit!

The thought of mapping my work commute in my rear car (mk6 Golf R) and then driving that route in game in err, not a mk6 golf r is awesome! Those wicked roads close to home you know would be great if they were 1 way and private would become a reality!!!

Wishful thinking?

Pretty much this exact thing was in GT6!

Wishful thinking?
I love this idea in theory, but even if it could auto-generate from the data you provided, I suspect the result would be extremely disappointing without a pretty hefty manual edit afterwards. The thing that makes your local roads unique are many-fold, and would include road width, camber, surface type, individual bumps, dips, whether corners open or tighten, etc.

Having said that, if this part generated / part manual edited track designer were to become a reality i expect there would be a lot of very very happy consumers :)

The track editor in GT5 (and later GT6) was very general. You could set some parameters and the game would procedurally generate a track. Using Google maps to create a ribbon would be awesome and that's one racing game 'm still waiting for. Even the scenery can be reconstructed using street view images and some smart programming. One day that can be real time and you can race around in Google street map racer. Open world racing game spanning the entire world!

All the data is there and that's one case where game streaming can excel. A big central computer that uses real world data to create the environment for any massive multiplayer real location based game.

One problem that will come up when PD adds a track editor is that people will recreate real life circuits, which will likely lead to complaints for licensing reasons. Don't underestimate the community for making the tracks as accurate as possible.

I've got some awesome roads around here I would like to race on. I've cycled on a lot of the roads around me in a 50km radius and could make the most wicked rally sections out of them :)

The track editor in GT5 (and later GT6) was very general. You could set some parameters and the game would procedurally generate a track. Using Google maps to create a ribbon would be awesome and that's one racing game 'm still waiting for. Even the scenery can be reconstructed using street view images and some smart programming. One day that can be real time and you can race around in Google street map racer. Open world racing game spanning the entire world!

All the data is there and that's one case where game streaming can excel. A big central computer that uses real world data to create the environment for any massive multiplayer real location based game.

One problem that will come up when PD adds a track editor is that people will recreate real life circuits, which will likely lead to complaints for licensing reasons. Don't underestimate the community for making the tracks as accurate as possible.

I've got some awesome roads around here I would like to race on. I've cycled on a lot of the roads around me in a 50km radius and could make the most wicked rally sections out of them :)

There was an official app for GT6 which would track you using GPS to make a track, exactly as per the OP, so you could race your commute etc. I didn't get to try it because i didn't have a tablet so I don't know how well it worked. Sounded awesome though. Would be great to see that again.
I always saw GT Sport as a spin off of the main Gt series, focused on FIA/online etc. Hence no GT mode initially.
While I love GT Sport I can only assume (hope) that GT7 will be a fully fledged GT game with all or most of the previous features we love and miss.

Feels like this is where we are heading, the only question is when. It's pretty clear the technology exists, but its a matter of when it is truly viable, economically and technically speaking. I eagerly await maximum attack runs down the Isle of Wight b roads not having to worry about Johnny Law or 89 year old Mrs Crimbleworth's Kia picanto

There was an official app for GT6 which would track you using GPS to make a track, exactly as per the OP, so you could race your commute etc. I didn't get to try it because i didn't have a tablet so I don't know how well it worked. Sounded awesome though. Would be great to see that again.
I always saw GT Sport as a spin off of the main Gt series, focused on FIA/online etc. Hence no GT mode initially.
While I love GT Sport I can only assume (hope) that GT7 will be a fully fledged GT game with all or most of the previous features we love and miss.

Ah, I missed that update, had moved on to ps4 by then. When I still worked on GPS navigation I added a test mode in the program to simulate driving on the map instead of having to go out and collect real world gps data. Very crude virtua racer style racing (to generate gps plots) but it was a lot of fun already. We had many ideas at the time to link up with other cars nearby to add a competitive element to the gps nav system (connected by phone) and show the cars around you on the map, yet somehow that never got any traction with management :lol: As well as adding high score boards for you daily commute times.

I was actually thinking about this yesterday but I'm sure it's coming to GT7, hopefully the track path editor is much more versatile and we have more diverse locations, not just country sides and deserts although I did enjoy Eifel, death valley and Valencia Spain but we need off-road locations like GT5 and we also need a city to make routes (was thinking Tokyo would be a good place to make routes since the city is big and popular)

I feel like, in order to capture the texture properly you would have to drive the right side and left side of the street to properly measure it's camber and then have to manually adjust how bumpy or smooth the surface is via some kind of slider.

Man a track editor would be AMAZING. Could you imagine if it was so advanced people could upload 3D props like we do with the Decal Uploader in GT Sport? I'd probably live in that game if it existed.

There was an official app for GT6 which would track you using GPS to make a track, exactly as per the OP, so you could race your commute etc. I didn't get to try it...
You obviously didn't get to try it because it didn't do any of that.

https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gt6/manual/#!/coursemaker/application01

All you could was to use a background with hills, and you could set waypoints and choose your corner angle. You then had a selection of trackside furniture to place where it allowed you. GPS was not a feature.

I may be wrong but I don't think licensing is an issue for user generated content which is for personal use and not sale or distribution (although the definition of distribution can vary). There are loads of games with editors that lead to licensed content being created by users of that game, there are rarely any licensing issues that arise from this.

I may be wrong but I don't think licensing is an issue for user generated content which is for personal use and not sale or distribution (although the definition of distribution can vary). There are loads of games with editors that lead to licensed content being created by users of that game, there are rarely any licensing issues that arise from this.

It has happened before
https://www.cinemablend.com/games/LittleBigPlanet-Levels-Removed-Copyright-Issues-13291.html

Licensing was maybe the wrong word. No clue if any decals get removed due to copyright issues. Putting tracks online for others to use is distribution. If you keep it to yourself nothing happens of course. Using your personal creations in a lobby only (not actually uploading for others to download) might be considered private showings.

Copyright law is far behind modern times. I'm wondering the same thing about Dreams.

It couldn't work. The whole premise is just a remnant from the overly ambitious GT5-GT6 era.

The fact that PD cut their losses with the pathetic GT6 track editor is proof it’s not worth the time or effort. Especially with PD’s perfectionist development style - it’s a literal black hole of dev time.

It has no place in a GT game that has an adequate track list. All of the budget, time, and effort would be better spent aquiring the very tracks people are pining for, and would resort to recreating.

It couldn't work. The whole premise is just a remnant from the overly ambitious GT5-GT6 era.

The fact that PD cut their losses with the pathetic GT6 track editor is proof it’s not worth the time or effort. Especially with PD’s perfectionist development style - it’s a literal black hole of dev time.

It has no place in a GT game that has an adequate track list. All of the budget, time, and effort would be better spent aquiring the very tracks people are pining for, and would resort to recreating.

The course maker in GT6 did have some limitations, but it was excellent while it existed. It gave huge amounts of replay value to the game. I don't see how having a complete toolset for custom tracks could ever be a bad thing regardless of how many modeled tracks are available, the collective userbase would be able to churn out great tracks far faster than PD (or any other development studio) ever could put out real world circuits. It's really hard for me to see your viewpoint.

It has happened before
https://www.cinemablend.com/games/LittleBigPlanet-Levels-Removed-Copyright-Issues-13291.html

Licensing was maybe the wrong word. No clue if any decals get removed due to copyright issues. Putting tracks online for others to use is distribution. If you keep it to yourself nothing happens of course. Using your personal creations in a lobby only (not actually uploading for others to download) might be considered private showings.

Copyright law is far behind modern times. I'm wondering the same thing about Dreams.
I suppose it comes down to distribution, people can mod games to thier hearts content without any legal ramifications for thier own use, but once you share that content ou become more open.

I did some digging and a couple of other games had taken the stance of removing user content which resembles licensed property from online hubs, but the majorty don't seem too concerned.

I think the console manufacturers will take a firmer stance on user created content than the developers themselves which many be reflected in the way the developers hand that.

I'm not imagining it, you definitely could. You could import from a GPS device.

No it doesn't. Best you could do is import a screenshot of a map and trace the route over existing roads. Maybe you're confusing it with the GPS Data Logger.

Back on topic, unless it's a detailed track editor like Modnation Racers, I'd rather PD focus dev time on more actual tracks and cars. The GT5 editor is fun for like a week, then everything is just same old generic ribbon of tarmac. GT6 editor is very limited, and although the community has done wonderful things with the hacked editor, it's still not good enough to replicate real life tracks due to constraints with elevation, road width and scenery. So yeah, complete waste of time. You can't even play around with GT6's track editor anymore since the server went down...

The course maker in GT6 was excellent. The app had some limitations, but once we figured out how to bypass it there were very few limits to what could be done.

I certainly don’t see any proof that it’s not worth the time and effort. On the contrary, some of my favourite tracks from GT6 were course maker tracks.

Back