How do you personally group cars?PC 

Which category of car do you prefer to race in Assetto Corsa (each option includes vintage as well)

• Total voters
Hi all,

As I have a nice collection of cars, I thought I would be time to properly classify and group them.
So one night this week I sat down and clicked and typed away for hours. Every car in its correct class. I found a nice system to do that, courtesy of some inspiring folks here.. :)

However, I found out that, when for instance I want to create a race that CM (or AC) does not recognize these classes or screws them up.
For instance, I have Formula 1 cars, depending on their era, grouped into Formula A to Formula F.
However, if i click on the tag #FORMULA B I get all the FORMULA cars, from A to F.

Also:
When selecting opponents for a race, do I need to select them on TAG or Race class?

View attachment 1111415
For whatever reason Content Manager recognizes certain strings of characters in strange ways. You've run in to one of them. Cars in Formula A would be shown when trying to view Formula B, Formula C, etc.

The only (and somewhat ugly) solution to this problem is by using a slash or hyphen character.

So instead of all of your classes being "Formula A, Formula B", it would be "Formula/A, Formula/B" or "Formula-A, Formula-B" instead.

Point behind this is to trick the game into thinking each tag is just one word instead of several, because for some reason if you have multiple words, the game will group together classes based on one word in the classes' name for some reason.

Hope this helps!

IN SHORT:

Do:
Formula/A, Formula/B.
Formula-A, Formula-B.

Don't:
Formula A, Formula B.

Funny thing is this isn't even consistent across all tags. I have my GT1, GT2/E, GT3, split up into "GT Group 1, GT Group 2, GT Group 3," for real as well as fictional cars. I don't get any cross-polution with those tags.

Last edited:
For whatever reason Content Manager recognizes certain strings of characters in strange ways. You've run in to one of them. Cars in Formula A would be shown when trying to view Formula B, Formula C, etc.

The only (and somewhat ugly) solution to this problem is by using a slash or hyphen character.

So instead of all of your classes being "Formula A, Formula B", it would be "Formula/A, Formula/B" or "Formula-A, Formula-B" instead.

Point behind this is to trick the game into thinking each tag is just one word instead of several, because for some reason if you have multiple words, the game will group together classes based on one word in the classes' name for some reason.

Hope this helps!

IN SHORT:

Do:
Formula/A, Formula/B.
Formula-A, Formula-B.

Don't:
Formula A, Formula B.

Funny thing is this isn't even consistent across all tags. I have my GT1, GT2/E, GT3, split up into "GT Group 1, GT Group 2, GT Group 3," for real as well as fictional cars. I don't get any cross-polution with those tags.
Thanks for explaining, appreciate the help!

Quick follow up: What do you do with the 'race classes' option? Do you leave it at 'street' and 'race' or do you let it match the tags you create?

Thanks for explaining, appreciate the help!

Quick follow up: What do you do with the 'race classes' option? Do you leave it at 'street' and 'race' or do you let it match the tags you create?

Personally I just leave those. I've never been able to figure out how that box influences car sorting or selection in Content Manager. For all I know it does nothing besides shift cars between "street" and "race" in the car selection menu's categories section.

All my vehicles are sorted so all I ever need in terms of selecting cars is the tags menu anyways.

Last edited:
Personally I just leave those. I've never been able to figure out how that box influences car sorting or selection in Content Manager. For all I know it does nothing besides shift cars between "street" and "race" in the car selection menu's categories section.

All my vehicles are sorted so all I ever need in terms of selecting cars is the tags menu anyways.
Gotcha!
Thanks again for the help.
I have some clicking to do... carpal tunnel syndrome, here I come.. 😏

After days of endless clicking an renaming (900+ cars..) this happened:

When looking at all the tags I noticed there was one tag with ONE car.
I obviously made a typo:
Street-Class -I had one car, while Street-Class-I had 33.
Unfortunately when I selected Street-Class -I, it showed all 33 cars of Street-Class-I, so I figured one of them has the typo.
I checked all of them to no avail. Then I decided to rename all the cars with the tag Street-Class-I to Street-Class-J.
However Street-Class -I remained with 1 car. Unfortunately, that is not accurate, because when I select that tag now, it's empty.

Sure, this is not a life-threatening situation, but my mild OCD just can't handle the fact that there is an incorrect, empty tag... :grumpy:

Is there a file somewhere, where I can delete that value, so it doesn't show anymore?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    12.6 KB · Views: 39
After days of endless clicking an renaming (900+ cars..) this happened:

When looking at all the tags I noticed there was one tag with ONE car.
I obviously made a typo:
Street-Class -I had one car, while Street-Class-I had 33.
Unfortunately when I selected Street-Class -I, it showed all 33 cars of Street-Class-I, so I figured one of them has the typo.
I checked all of them to no avail. Then I decided to rename all the cars with the tag Street-Class-I to Street-Class-J.
However Street-Class -I remained with 1 car. Unfortunately, that is not accurate, because when I select that tag now, it's empty.

Sure, this is not a life-threatening situation, but my mild OCD just can't handle the fact that there is an incorrect, empty tag... :grumpy:

Is there a file somewhere, where I can delete that value, so it doesn't show anymore?
Very strange, never seen that issue before personally.

When I delete a tag from all cars which carry the tag, it simply disappears from the car selection menu because it shouldn't exist anymore. I've never seen it where the tag just hangs around with nothing in it.

In the superscript beside the tag though it says that 1 car in your library is registered as having it. So I'd do the search again using the tags menu and the content tab's car menu as well. That might work out a little better.

1645063827903.png

So use that search bar there with #Street-Class -I and it should return what you're looking for. If it doesn't then your CM is probably screwed up somehow.

This is going to be a dumb question but I'd like to be sure. Removing all the tags won't affect anything other than UI when selecting the car, right? It won't affect anything on track/during a race, when racing AI? I didn't notice any odd behaviour so far but thought I'd ask just in case.

Last edited:

Sorry for the double post but in case someone needed the answer to the question above.

I'm going to be restoring the original tags, already did for Kunos cars and when making my own classes I'll be naming them in a way so that they are on top of the list in one place. For example #AutoSport-GT3, #AutoSport-DTM-92, AutoSport-GT2-11. That way I can keep all the original tags but have my own categories as well.

One question dudes, do you know how group various cars of a category in the vanilla interface? I mean, for example you have six cars by brand but for to put them all after an icon grouped all for selection, like the rss section for example, i have seen that its possible to do it, but i dont know the process , i would like to put an icon for prototypes or dtm for example and put them all inside for select they in the choose car selection, i know that its possible group they by typing the category of in race presets but i would like have they all more organizated, after an icon and inside all the cars that category

Ive got a whole new system i group all cars in street that are legally allowed to drive there and all other Racecars going in thier real category like Le Mans, FIA World Sportscar Championship, F1, F2, F5000, Rally, Imsa, DTM, DRM, ALMS (wrc,B,5 etc.) like the real world

Yep, but i mean, how is done put an icon new in the vanilla version, and all the race cars you want inside, for example, dtm or prototypes, that appears the icon and inside the cars for choose like the ones that comes with the game, i know its possible i have seen it but yet dont know how to do it 😅

W
Ive got a whole new system i group all cars in street that are legally allowed to drive there and all other Racecars going in thier real category like Le Mans, FIA World Sportscar Championship, F1, F2, F5000, Rally, Imsa, DTM, DRM, ALMS (wrc,B,5 etc.) like the real world
What are the categories B and 5, of rally too? Theres a pack of imsa gt3 cars?

Hi guys, i was working fixing my groups and i noticed tha some of you have bop-ed classes, how do you do it and with wich criteria?

WRC is World Rally Cars
Group 5 are the famous cars like:

Cars homologated by the FIA as Group 5 cars included the following:

1st Generation​

2nd Generation​

3rd Generation​

4th Generation​

Racing Series that included FIA Group 5 cars​

1st Generation​

2nd Generation​

3rd Generation​

4th Generation​

Hi, I'm trying to act normal, but I'm close to losing it completely. I'm trying for weeks now to get my tags in order for Tracks. But they don't show up in the overview. The problem I can't get my head around, is that some do! So for example, I have this Paris track. I'll go to content tab, add the tag "Fictional" or "Fantasy" (i save) but when back in at the home screen it doesn't show up between the tags. I go back again to content tab, add the tag "Forza" and now it does show up in the tags-overview. I've searched everywhere, I cannot for the life of me figure out why some are working/recognized and some don't. Please help me maintain my mental stability. I'm slipping into a dark abyss. ..

This is going to be a dumb question but I'd like to be sure. Removing all the tags won't affect anything other than UI when selecting the car, right? It won't affect anything on track/during a race, when racing AI? I didn't notice any odd behaviour so far but thought I'd ask just in case.
I just saw that singleseater and/or openwheel make a things on the cars tyres ingame, but beside that.
I totally changed mine:

for exemple the
312/67
#Formula-T1 rwd race engine n/a singleseater italy

#LMP awd race hybrid germany

Hi, I'm trying to act normal, but I'm close to losing it completely. I'm trying for weeks now to get my tags in order for Tracks. But they don't show up in the overview. The problem I can't get my head around, is that some do! So for example, I have this Paris track. I'll go to content tab, add the tag "Fictional" or "Fantasy" (i save) but when back in at the home screen it doesn't show up between the tags. I go back again to content tab, add the tag "Forza" and now it does show up in the tags-overview. I've searched everywhere, I cannot for the life of me figure out why some are working/recognized and some don't. Please help me maintain my mental stability. I'm slipping into a dark abyss. ..
So, it's probably a bug. I used a workaround by creating Categories that filter on the prefered tags. Bonus, I can give them a nice logo.

So, it's probably a bug. I used a workaround by creating Categories that filter on the prefered tags. Bonus, I can give them a nice logo.
I have honestly been curious about how to do that for a long time. You wouldn't happen to have (or be able to make) a quick guide, would you?

For the 24 Hours of Le Mans, I have managed to group many of the cars that raced in it based on the ACO/FIA's regulations (since 1949). These categories include:

1949-1975 24 Hours of Le Mans

Between 1949-1975, the FIA would categorize cars based on their maximum engine displacement, and type (Prototype, Sports car/GT, touring car) for the 24 hours of Le Mans.

Here are most, if not all of the engine displacements recorded by the ACO/FIA:

750 cc
1.0 (1,000 cc)
1.15 (1,150 cc)
1.5 (1,500 cc)
1.6 (1,600 cc)
2.0 (up to 2,000 cc)
2.5 (up to 2,500 cc)
3.0 (up to 3,000 cc)
4.0 (up to 4,000 cc)
5.0 (up to 5,000 cc)

Last edited:
I have honestly been curious about how to do that for a long time. You wouldn't happen to have (or be able to make) a quick guide, would you?
I just installed this pack (https://www.racedepartment.com/down...tegories-and-flags-for-content-manager.28714/) and started editing (and removing) the stuff I don't need. It's all located in the "Data User" folder. In there go to Track categories (or Car categories). So I deleted complete json files, for examp "Series" or "By Year" I don't need those. I only kept "Types" I believe. If you open the file it pretty much self explains. There are already examples inside which use the Filter TAG: example. Just change the tags to yours and name of category. You can also put your own logo's in there (512x512 mandatory I believe). But honestly, I did almost nothing. The creator of that mod did all the hard work. Let me know if you still have trouble, I will try to help.
@tomo 427 S/C Same goes for you ;)

So if you've dowloaded that racedepartement folder, open track categories, and open Types.json (just use nnotepad). You'll see stuff like this:

{
"name": "Wangan",
"description": "Highway racing cources",
"filter": "tag:wangan",
"icon": "Wg.png"
},

Now, I don't want a track category "Wangan". But I do want a Category called "Touge". I've already given all those tracks the Touge Tag. So I just change the above into:

{
"name": "Touge",
"description": "Curly mountain drift roads",
"filter": "tag:touge",
"icon": "test.png"
},

After that I look up a nice touge logo, save it as 512x512 PNG file in the same folder (track categories). The name doesnt matter as long as you use the same as above. So test.png

And than, when I open content manager I have a new category, with my logo, but it displays all my tracks with that specific TAG.

You can also use mutliple tags, or even filter by the names of the track layout. Like this

{
"name": "Vintage ",
"description": "Old racetracks",
"filter": "tag:\\b(#vintage|#VINTAGE|vintage|VINTAGE|historic|HISTORIC)\\b | name:\\b(vintage|historic)\\b | year < 1991",
"icon": "Vintage2b.png",
},

Again, I'm NOT the creator. Silderman did all the hard work.

p.s. Dont mindlessly past the entire folder, If you already made changes to your categories they might be overwritten!

Last edited:
Of course, in fact you have to create a fake new car for each category.
for exemple content/cars/lmp1_gen1

in this folder, you just need the ui folder wth the files in it, badge.png and the ui_car?.json,logo.png and the skin forlder with only 1 skin that is fake too (with only livery.png and preview+ a ui_skin if you want, to not have any error). You modify the the ui datas in notepad or into CM.

Once you have that, the category will appear, and you ust have to make the car you want in child of it.
And Magic! the cars will be sorted by category.

At the moment I have done:
LMP1 (genxx)
LMP900
LMP2 (genxx)
LMP (genxx)
GT1 (gen 1-2)
GTE
GT3
GT4
Group A
Group C
DTM
WSC (gen xx)

I just have a dilemma about the WSC category, because it will cover 1960-1981 eras, but the Groups changed a lot back in those days, and I don't know If I split in Prototype-GT-TC or if I keep the all-in-one WSC.
F1 will come soon of course

But I keep only the PCARS2-AMS2 categories, as I think they are great done.

If you want I can upload the categories folder tonight.

Of course, in fact you have to create a fake new car for each category.
for exemple content/cars/lmp1_gen1

in this folder, you just need the ui folder wth the files in it, badge.png and the ui_car?.json,logo.png and the skin forlder with only 1 skin that is fake too (with only livery.png and preview+ a ui_skin if you want, to not have any error). You modify the the ui datas in notepad or into CM.

Once you have that, the category will appear, and you ust have to make the car you want in child of it.
And Magic! the cars will be sorted by category.

At the moment I have done:
LMP1 (genxx)
LMP900
LMP2 (genxx)
LMP (genxx)
GT1 (gen 1-2)
GTE
GT3
GT4
Group A
Group C
DTM
WSC (gen xx)

I just have a dilemma about the WSC category, because it will cover 1960-1981 eras, but the Groups changed a lot back in those days, and I don't know If I split in Prototype-GT-TC or if I keep the all-in-one WSC.
F1 will come soon of course

But I keep only the PCARS2-AMS2 categories, as I think they are great done.

If you want I can upload the categories folder tonight.

Thanks! I would love to see that folder! :)

I don't use CM, I guess it's confusing to me. I have six AC installs, F1, 60's, Can Am, LeMans, IMSA and Modern. F1 contains all the F1 cars that I prefer, 67, 73, 75 and 58. 60's is my GTL replacement, it does contain some earlier cars and up to about late 80's GTs. Can Am is self explanatory. LeMans is all years. IMSA contains the GT years and the GTP years. My favorites being 60's, early 70's, Group C and IMSA. Modern is all 2000 and later. The tracks follow the series and years.

Last edited:
I don't use CM, I guess it's confusing to me. I have six AC installs, F1, 60's, Can Am, LeMans, IMSA and Modern. F1 contains all the F1 cars that I prefer, 67, 73, 75 and 58. 60's is my GTL replacement, it does contain some earlier cars and up to about late 80's GTs. Can Am is self explanatory. LeMans is all years. IMSA contains the GT years and the GTP years. My favorites being 60's, early 70's, Group C and IMSA. Modern is all 2000 and later. The tracks follow the series and years.

No offense and not trying to question your decisions, but you should really be using CM. There’s just nothing about the default AC launcher that measures up to it. It’ll make your experience with the game so much better.

This video by Chris Haye is pretty easy to follow and beginner friendly. He explains the basic functions very clearly.

Last edited:
Back