How Does Gran Turismo Sport Play on PlayStation 5 Hardware?

Sounds good. Too bad it doesn't seem like the new update did anything to captalize on the PS5 extra power.

One question though, are the replays still 30fps on 4K on PS5 like the PS4 Pro? That's my biggest gripe on the Pro, because 60fps replays look soooo good on 1080p mode.

One question though, are the replays still 30fps on 4K on PS5 like the PS4 Pro? That's my biggest gripe on the Pro, because 60fps replays look soooo good on 1080p mode.

Exactly what i wanted to know too. Gameplay does run at 60 FPS/4K but not the replays. Wondering if there's improvements here in PS5 but i'm afraid they are locked to 30 FPS so only a patch would "fix" this. I will know as soon as i receive the PS5 next week.

Last edited:
You would think with GT7 coming in the next whenever, PD would at least push an update to GT Sport to take some advantage of PS5 hardware.

Like adding an update to extend the draw distance in the game, to remove that horrible pop-up and pop-out of the environment when it reaches it's current draw distance. Doubt the game will see any major updates for PS5 though.

Wonder if the PS5 magically makes the GT Sport mode penalty system work properly, lol.

Exactly what i wanted to know too. Gameplay does run at 60 FPS/4K but not the replays. Wondering if there's improvements here in PS5 but i'm afraid they are locked to 30 FPS so only a patch would "fix" this. I will know as soon as i receive the PS5 next week.

I read that if a game on PS4 has locked FPS to 30, it will remain locked at 30FPS on the PS5, unless the game developers roll-out a patch to change it. So even ACC on PS4 won't take advantage of the PS5's power as Kunos have locked ACC to 30FPS on PS4.

But if a game has unlocked FPS the PS5 will take advantage of its power and run it at the same resolution as PS4 but with more or less guaranteed 60FPS.

Last edited:
Sorry but this isnt a helpfull comparsion. 4K isnt 4K in this case. GT Sport uses some sort of upscaling tech on PS4 Pro, maybe checkerboard, so the internal resolution isnt native 4K. I think you can tell by looking at the game, it looks very good, but not razor sharp. So the question remains if the image quality gets a boost on PS5, or not. If GT Sport uses dynamic resolution on PS4 Pro, this might be possible. If its fixed, it should be fixed on PS5 as well until there is an update with PS5 optimization.

Last edited:
As mentioned 1000 times, I'm really hoping for a VR update, just allow a full pack of cars at least.....please!!
I'm not sure PD could do that: i understood from No Man's Sky PS5 patch dev notes that VR on PS5 currently works under PS4 compatibility mode.
Is there any PS4 VR game upgraded for PS5?

I read that if a game on PS4 has locked FPS to 30, it will remain locked at 30FPS on the PS5, unless the game developers roll-out a patch to change it. So even ACC on PS4 won't take advantage of the PS5's power as Kunos have locked ACC to 30FPS on PS4.

But if a game has unlocked FPS the PS5 will take advantage of its power and run it at the same resolution as PS4 but with more or less guaranteed 60FPS.

That comment about ACC isn’t true as the Pro version that the PS5 will use is unlocked. That part about replays in GTS is true unfortunately.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that it still takes 23 seconds to load. I guess the game isn't optimised for the SSD, because the gameplay demos of Ratchet And Clank suggest the PS5 should be able to achieve far faster than that.
Only true next-gen titles will take advantage of extremely fast loadings and the full capabities of PS5 SSD. As far as I know, for backward compatible titles, the PS5 uses something called Legacy mode, where the PS5 simulates the PS4's (Pro or base) CPU and GPU to make the game work. So, last gen's games will load faster, but only a bit. Nothing compared to how fast Ratchet & Clank or Miles Morales load.

Last edited:
You would think with GT7 coming in the next whenever, PD would at least push an update to GT Sport to take some advantage of PS5 hardware.

Like adding an update to extend the draw distance in the game, to remove that horrible pop-up and pop-out of the environment when it reaches it's current draw distance. Doubt the game will see any major updates for PS5 though.

Wonder if the PS5 magically makes the GT Sport mode penalty system work properly, lol.
I wouldn't be surprised if there would be no update for GT Sport to take any advantage of the PS5 extra power and features. Firstly, PD would, I would hope, be focusing on GT7. Secondly, if they improve GT Sport for PS5, then any improvements with GT7 may look less impressive, and less of s leap in the tech.

I'm not sure even with all the tech and power of the PS5, PD have the capability to fix the penalty system. How long have we had GT Sport, and how many updates, and it people are still not happy about it. :lol:

Sorry but this isnt a helpfull comparsion. 4K isnt 4K in this case. GT Sport uses some sort of upscaling tech on PS4 Pro, maybe checkerboard, so the internal resolution isnt native 4K. I think you can tell by looking at the game, it looks very good, but not razor sharp. So the question remains if the image quality gets a boost on PS5, or not. If GT Sport uses dynamic resolution on PS4 Pro, this might be possible. If its fixed, it should be fixed on PS5 as well until there is an update with PS5 optimization.
Last time i checked DF digital foundry on gt sport it was running,according to john linneman,at 1800p with checkerboard,so for ps5 to display it at 4k shouldn't be a problem for the ps5 imo,as for the replays,i hope the ps5 can boost it up to 60 fps but without additional patch work from polyphony digital i fear this is as good as it gets! at 1:07 he says it,1800p just for proof i added the clip :)

Last edited:
Sadly games are GT with rock-stable frame-rate and without dynamic resolution won't see any different loading times aside. (if any!)

I'm not sure I understand your critique. As stated in the video, there is no discernible difference in image quality between the two consoles. Put side-by-side, there is no difference in the video footage I recorded from each. The PS5 does not appear to be doing anything to improve upon the PS4's checkerboard upscaling when running a game in PS4 compatibility mode.

Can you confirm please that sport mode works on ps5 .
I noticed in one vid that "lobby mode" had a lock on its icon , that should mean you can't go online with private lobbys on ps5 , is it true ?
"Sport mode" didn't have a lock but it has several options ..
It's from ps5 stream

Last edited:
Don't care how GTS plays on a PS5

What wheels work on a PS5 with GTS and or GT7. That's the question.

I'm not sure I understand your critique. As stated in the video, there is no discernible difference in image quality between the two consoles. Put side-by-side, there is no difference in the video footage I recorded from each. The PS5 does not appear to be doing anything to improve upon the PS4's checkerboard upscaling when running a game in PS4 compatibility mode.

My critique here was that the article was talking about 4K, although the game is rendered at 1800p... close, i know, but not quite native 4K. So it propably would have been better to point out that the Pro Version is rendered at 1800p, not 4K, and that PS5 is doing the same, for now. GT Sport is one of these games where you can actually see that image quality takes a slight hit compared to games running in native 4K.

If this game would get a proper PS5 patch, i think we could see native 4K and a boost in image quality. Even 120hz could be possible with a lower resolution. Maybe Polyphony is saving all this for GT7, but... who knows.

Can you confirm please that sport mode works on ps5 .
I noticed in one vid that "lobby mode" had a lock on its icon , that should mean you can't go online with private lobbys on ps5 , is it true ?
"Sport mode" didn't have a lock but it has several options ..
It's from ps5 stream

They have to watch the Racing Etiquette videos for those to unlock

I found GTS to look better in my case on the PS5, but the issues with draw distance still remain. I don't believe frame rate or resolution was any higher compared to my PS4 Pro.
I believe the image quality benefit for me comes from the PS5 having a better calibration tool for HDR setup leaving a more dynamic picture.
Playing it off an external drive to save valuable SSD storage meant there was no benefit to loading times either.

Quicker loading times? 36% quicker?! For the Platinum Trophy run just the 240 Blue Moon Bay races would shave off 36 minutes or 9 seconds of loading each race.

If PD decides to roll out an update on PS5 for GTS and it improves loading times significantly, 80% or more, then I would definitely give it another go.

Here’s to hoping though :nervous::lol:

I'm surprised that it still takes 23 seconds to load. I guess the game isn't optimised for the SSD, because the gameplay demos of Ratchet And Clank suggest the PS5 should be able to achieve far faster than that.
One thing to bear in mind is that loading times often aren't down to storage speed. For example, running up FH4 on PC takes a long time, but Task Manager shows that it's not storage speed limited, it only spends a couple of seconds reading from my SSD. Most of the time it's just maxing out a single thread of a single core of CPU. In terms of hardware improving loading times, the biggest improvement for FH4 would be an increase in single thread performance, so I'm expecting it to load quicker when I can get a 5600X into my PC. Or it would be speeded up a huge amount if they could re-work the code to use all available threads and cores to do whatever it's doing in that time. We can't get the same insight into what GTS is doing during the various waiting periods, but I'm just making the point that it isn't necessarily spending all that much of the time limited by the speed of reading from storage.

Last edited:
Back