How Does Gran Turismo Sport Play on PlayStation 5 Hardware?

I'll just add my findings so far regarding a few questions raised here.

You can simply download your save from the server the first time you start the game. All works as it should.
Yep, cross-play in Sport Mode or Lobbies with PS4 players is fine on the PS5. As is voice-chat.
No, there are no additional controller haptic feedback functions.
Tested a G29, all is fine. I see no reason why any other supported wheel would have issues.
Tested a non-supported wheel via Divehub ... there is an issue with the DS4 associated with the Drivehub timing out. To put it another way, it works fine for 5 to 10 minutes, then the wheel is dead.

Last edited:
So i connected my External HDD that had GT Sport to my PS5... and it refuses to update to 1.62. it is stuck at 1.61. It tells me to download the Update, then takes me to the Download/Copies section and it just does nothing, no update shows up. this is the only game does this, every other game's update works. might need to disconnect my HDD and Connect it to the PS4 update it, and return to the PS5 afterwards. (will probably transfer Modern Warfare and GTAV to the PS5 SSD Just in case they stuff up again... both needed to be reinstalled from scratch)

Anyone else have this issue for GT Sport?

I'll just add my findings so far regarding a few questions raised here.

You can simply download your save from the server the first time you start the game. All works as it should.
Yep, cross-play in Sport Mode or Lobbies with PS4 players is fine on the PS5. As is voice-chat.
No, there are no additional controller haptic feedback functions.
Tested a G29, all is fine. I see no reason why any other supported wheel would have issues.
Tested a non-supported wheel via Divehub ... there is an issue with the DS4 associated with the Drivehub timing out. To put it another way, it works fine for 5 to 10 minutes, then the wheel is dead.
Hopefully the good people at drivehub are able to sort this out , would be nice to milk the g27 for a little while longer. Works great on the ps4. What wheel did you try with it ? I vaguely remember that was a problem for certain wheels on ps4 if the latest firmware wasn’t installed on the drivehub.

Last edited:
Here are my numbers for load times on PS5 for GT Sport.

External Drive (Toshiba Canvio Advance 4TB USB 3.0)
Start to Main Menu 33.8s
Loading Arcade Mode Dragon's Tail 22.3s
Loading Arcade Mode Nordschleife 24HR 35.2s

Internal System SSD
Start to Main Menu 27.6s
Loading Arcade Mode Dragon's Tail 20.4s
Loading Arcade Mode Nordschleife 24HR 24.2s

So really no great gains for putting it on the internal drive unless you plan on driving the Nurburgring a lot..

A bit off topic but I read a couple of days ago that when it comes to ps4 games the ps5 with its new super ssd won't be able to run them any faster than a ps4 pro with an ssd.
The article suggested that people should save precious internal ssd space for ps5 games and it's best to store all ps4 games on an external ssd because there's no performance gain to be had.

@slackboy72 , what type of drive is that Canvio you're using? (I presume ssd but I checked the link and then another but it wasn't readily apparent)

Or if anyone else cares to chime in with a confirmed pro w/ssd vs. ps5 comparison?
Not the biggest deal on earth, I'm just curious is all.

Last edited:
A bit off topic but I read a couple of days ago that when it comes to ps4 games the ps5 with its new super ssd won't be able to run them any faster than a ps4 pro with an ssd.
The article suggested that people should save precious internal ssd space for ps5 games and it's best to store all ps4 games on an external ssd because there's no performance gain to be had.

@slackboy72 , what type of drive is that Canvio you're using? (I presume ssd but I checked the link and then another but it wasn't readily apparent)

Or if anyone else cares to chime in with a confirmed pro w/ssd vs. ps5 comparison?
Not the biggest deal on earth, I'm just curious is all.
Nah it's actually a 5400 rpm HDD.

Thanks for this info. I have been using a G27 via Drivehub, so this is important to me.

Exactly , I'd like to milk it my G27 some more as well.

While I would love a new Fanatec wheel set. I'm not so sure I want to spend the $1400 for it, plus the $500 for the PS5.

$2000 just to play GT7... Meh.

Thank you heaps for this info. I would love to upgrade to a PS5 and trade in my PS4 but would hate to lose access to GT Sport on my Thrustmaster TX that I currently use with my Drive Hub on PS4.

Hopefully a small firmware update may fix this small problem.

How is the fan noise on the PS5? GTS makes my PS4 Pro scream like a jet engine.

Also, can it output 120fps at any resolution?

Hopefully the good people at drivehub are able to sort this out , would be nice to milk the g27 for a little while longer. Works great on the ps4. What wheel did you try with it ? I vaguely remember that was a problem for certain wheels on ps4 if the latest firmware wasn’t installed on the drivehub.
The wheel I was testing was a Fanatec CSW V2.5, which worked no issues on the PS4.
How is the fan noise on the PS5? GTS makes my PS4 Pro scream like a jet engine.

Also, can it output 120fps at any resolution?
Very quiet on the PS5.
I think only certain PS5 games have the possibility to hit 120.
But you will need a screen that can handle it.
From what I can tell in the settings, with my set-up, is video output is 60, along with both captured video and broadcast.

Last edited:
Here are my numbers for load times on PS5 for GT Sport.

External Drive (Toshiba Canvio Advance 4TB USB 3.0)
Start to Main Menu 33.8s
Loading Arcade Mode Dragon's Tail 22.3s
Loading Arcade Mode Nordschleife 24HR 35.2s

Internal System SSD
Start to Main Menu 27.6s
Loading Arcade Mode Dragon's Tail 20.4s
Loading Arcade Mode Nordschleife 24HR 24.2s

So really no great gains for putting it on the internal drive unless you plan on driving the Nurburgring a lot..
Just following up on this for clarification/confirmation since it's one of the things I'd been not too clear about re current external/expansion drives in advance of using with PS5.
Here's my situation. I haven't yet gotten the new PS5 console but intend to so do. Currently I have a PS4 Slim and I have attached via USB the Seagate Game Drive for PS4: 2TB (see pic below)...which I use as an extended drive to store and play the majority of my games on PS4. I searched to see if it was an SSD and saw it described as HDD. What I wanted to know (or be sure of) in advance is when I do get the PS5 console would I be able to hook it up to the new PS5 and load/play games from it similar to as I currently do with the PS4?....or is it that I would have to transfer the games from the external/expansion HDD to store to the PS5 in order to then play?

I wouldn't mind if loading/running the PS4 game/s from my current Seagate external game drive is not as fast as having them stored directly on the PS5's internal SSD drive since I imagine the games will still benefit somewhat from the PS5's superior processing capabilities etc. It's just that in the interim until dedicated external SSDs become available for the PS5 and am then able to purchase and transfer all my existing PS4 games to it I want to be sure that when I do get the PS5 I would be able to hook up the external Seagate Game Drive for PS4 to it and load/play games from it as I do right now.

Since you've actually done this test with your external HDD drive @slackboy72 I'm assuming you would have had a chance to do some gaming in the current scenario so thought it best to respond to you for edification. Anyone else knowledgeable please feel free to respond.

BTW, this is the Seagate Game Drive for PS4 I currently have:

screenshot_56.jpg

why would pd do that? lol

At minimum:
1. Improving loading time drastically. Currently its faster but not by far, unfortunately.
2. Having both graphical benefits of "High Quality mode" while maintaining smooth frame rate from the "Frame Rate Mode".

Just following up on this for clarification/confirmation since it's one of the things I'd been not too clear about re current external/expansion drives in advance of using with PS5.
Here's my situation. I haven't yet gotten the new PS5 console but intend to so do. Currently I have a PS4 Slim and I have attached via USB the Seagate Game Drive for PS4: 2TB (see pic below)...which I use as an extended drive to store and play the majority of my games on PS4. I searched to see if it was an SSD and saw it described as HDD. What I wanted to know (or be sure of) in advance is when I do get the PS5 console would I be able to hook it up to the new PS5 and load/play games from it similar to as I currently do with the PS4?....or is it that I would have to transfer the games from the external/expansion HDD to store to the PS5 in order to then play?

I wouldn't mind if loading/running the PS4 game/s from my current Seagate external game drive is not as fast as having them stored directly on the PS5's internal SSD drive since I imagine the games will still benefit somewhat from the PS5's superior processing capabilities etc. It's just that in the interim until dedicated external SSDs become available for the PS5 and am then able to purchase and transfer all my existing PS4 games to it I want to be sure that when I do get the PS5 I would be able to hook up the external Seagate Game Drive for PS4 to it and load/play games from it as I do right now.

Since you've actually done this test with your external HDD drive @slackboy72 I'm assuming you would have had a chance to do some gaming in the current scenario so thought it best to respond to you for edification. Anyone else knowledgeable please feel free to respond.

BTW, this is the Seagate Game Drive for PS4 I currently have:

View attachment 972195
I'm running the same WD 4tb HDD External Drive loaded with heaps of PS4 games that I ran on my PS4 hooked up to my PS5 now with no issues 👍. Loading times are slightly improved but not by much. It's also very easy to transfer/copy all your game saves over to the new system.

I'm running the same WD 4tb HDD External Drive loaded with heaps of PS4 games that I ran on my PS4 hooked up to my PS5 now with no issues 👍. Loading times are slightly improved but not by much. It's also very easy to transfer/copy all your game saves over to the new system.
That's absolutely great to hear re your current external HDD. I was really concerned about that and one of the things that was going to make me hesitate purchasing the PS5 until I was sure. I guess since the external drive would have been initially formatted for use with the Playstation console (when you were using the PS4) the formatting remained compatible for Playstation systems across the board then, even for PS5. So once you plugged it in to the PS5 the PS5 recognised the PS4 games on it and you were good to go?

Regarding the game save data that is kept on the console's internal drive I remember what I did when I bought my PS4 Slim approx 1 year ago to replace an aged standard PS4 console that was giving trouble, if my memory serves me right what I did was upload the game save data to the Playstation cloud prior to connecting the new PS4 Slim so when I did connect and set up the PS4 Slim it was just a matter to transfer the save game data to it's internal drive. That sounds as though it should be the same process? How did you do it in your case for the PS5?
All this info is very helpful so thanks a lot for sharing.

Yeah just quickly when you do get a PS5 do the following:

1. UPDATE THE SYSTEM SOFTWARE STRAIGHT AWAY. Some people have been having trouble with their PS5s because they attached external drives without updating the system software.

2. Restore your licences. This is in the account part of settings. If you don't you won't be able to play your digital games or you may not have any DLC show up.

3. Download your game saves via PS+ or by USB.

4. Just attach your external drive to your PS5. External drives are encoded to your account so you can just attach them straight away instead of re-downloading.

Yeah just quickly when you do get a PS5 do the following:

1. UPDATE THE SYSTEM SOFTWARE STRAIGHT AWAY. Some people have been having trouble with their PS5s because they attached external drives without updating the system software.

2. Restore your licences. This is in the account part of settings. If you don't you won't be able to play your digital games or you may not have any DLC show up.

3. Download your game saves via PS+ or by USB.

4. Just attach your external drive to your PS5. External drives are encoded to your account so you can just attach them straight away instead of re-downloading.
Thanks. This is very helpful. Just for some further clarification:
Re "2. Restore your licences": Could you clarify a bit more how to do this? Is it in Settings: Account to simply fill in your PSN ID and Password to establish the PS user account and I think somewhere else (can't remember where right now) to establish the new PS5 console as the Primary console?

Re "3. Download your game saves via PS+ or by USB": Last time I think what I did was to upload the game save data from the PS4 (wherever from "Settings" to the PS Cloud and following hooking up the new PS4 Slim then downloaded/transfer to the said PS4 Slim. I think after checking though I saw somewhere mentioned that I didn't have to physically upload the game save data to the Cloud because with my PSN Plus account the game save data automatically uploads to the Cloud behind the scenes and by physically uploading I may have ended up with double the data and exceeded quota. So the question is, is that the case for us PSN Plus members the game save data is there already uploaded in the cloud so there's no need to do what I did and all I should have had to do was to transfer the game save data that was already there in the cloud to then transfer to the new console?

@davidt33
Restoring licenses is essentially what you do when you've lost access to something you have previously downloaded.
It's what should happen with those 3 bugged DLC cars in GTS that say 'Cannot find rights', but for whatever reason it's never worked in that instance.
Personally I digitally downloaded GTS and all DLC and had no issues, so I haven't needed to use that function on my PS5.

As for the 'Primary console' bit, the first PS5 you sign into will basically be the Primary.
You can disable console sharing, offline play, etc. if you wish (which is essentially what it means to set a console as 'Primary'), but the default setting is to have that function turned On.
It does state that having one PS5 with console sharing, etc. switched on, doesn't remove the 'Primary' status of a PS4 that you may still own.

PS+ cloud saves can be automatically uploaded, but you will need to have turned on the 'Auto-upload' function.
Otherwise you will need to do it manually.
In the specific case of GTS, with it's server based save file, I simply started the game and it said it found save data and did I want to use it.
This put my game exactly where I left it on the PS4, and also created the appropriate GTS save files on the PS5.

Thanks @FPV MIC, @slackboy72 and @Tassie_tiger .
One last thing about PS5 re online lobby (public or private) racing. Don't know if you've gotten a chance to race via online lobby/multiplayer with others who still use PS4 yet but what is the case there? Can you with PS5 join online lobby to race with users on PS4 and vice versa or do both have to be on same console either PS4 or PS5?

Thanks @FPV MIC, @slackboy72 and @Tassie_tiger .
One last thing about PS5 re online lobby (public or private) racing. Don't know if you've gotten a chance to race via online lobby/multiplayer with others who still use PS4 yet but what is the case there? Can you with PS5 join online lobby to race with users on PS4 and vice versa or do both have to be on same console either PS4 or PS5?
Cross-play and party chat across both consoles works fine.
It makes no difference which console you are using. 👍

I'm having a few issues with the PS5 and sport mode

1) Fanatec CSL Elite - wheel spins when entering pits. I had this happen many times yesterday in Race C entering the pits and if I didn't hold tight, I would spin out when auto drive turns off on exiting. Also had it happen a few times in the 'Challenge' section offline.

2) Also keep getting transfer error while trying to do the data transfer over the router.

3) Have yet to find a simple consistent way to switch from the controller to the wheel on startup.

T
Re "3. Download your game saves via PS+ or by USB":
I used the third method which is transferring the data over my Wi-Fi network. It worked very well (and quick) for transferring the save data but I made the mistake of leaving three games installed on the PS4. Transferring them (200+gig) took over 12 hours.

I haven't had to restore licenses on any of my digital games so far and haven't had any issues with missing DLC. Fingers crossed this run keeps going.

I'm not disputing the OP's opinion of it looking the same on a PS4 Pro but I don't have a PS4 Pro and my experience of GT Sport on the PS5 is like night and day - let me explain.

I've been using a stock PS4 and a 65" 1080p TV (Sony W850A) since GT Sport was released. The picture quality of the tv is good - movies , games etc. - extremely happy with it.

A few weeks before getting my PS5, I upgraded my tv to a 75" 4K (Sony X950H), this tv is amazing, it makes everything look great even HD movies and games.

So with the PS5 displaying GT Sport in some form of 4K and my new tv, as I said my experience is like night and day - GT Sport in 4K and HDR. You have to see it to know how much different (better) it is.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:
I'm not disputing the OP's opinion of it looking the same on a PS4 Pro but I don't have a PS4 Pro and my experience of GT Sport on the PS5 is like night and day - let me explain.

I've been using a stock PS4 and a 65" 1080p TV (Sony W850A) since GT Sport was released. The picture quality of the tv is good - movies , games etc. - extremely happy with it.

A few weeks before getting my PS5, I upgraded my tv a to 75" 4K (Sony X950H), this tv is amazing, it makes everything look great even HD movies and games.

So with the PS5 displaying GT Sport in some form of 4K and my new tv, as I said my experience is like night and day - GT Sport in 4K and HDR. You have to see it to know how much different (better) it is.

My 2 cents.
Yes, the difference between PS4 and PS4 Pro / PS5 is much more noticeable. Here's a video which demonstrates this (not my video):

The PS5 basically runs the game as it would on PS4 Pro, aside from the significant difference in loading speeds.

I think only certain PS5 games have the possibility to hit 120.
I think Kaz has mentioned a few times now that achieving 120fps on the ps5 is more of a priority than even thinking about 8k resolution so I'd be very surprised if 120fps makes an appearance before GT7 lands.

Back