How long did it take you to beat it?

I was just wondering how many hours (or a good estimation) it took you to beat the game? BTW, how much money was the Viper GTS? Im wondering because its my favorite car.

PS- I only have GT3 and I was wondering if it was still usefull to buy the game. Is it still worth it with GT4 now out?

I think I have been playing for 7 years now and I'm not about to count the hours. It does depend on what you consider beating the game is, as there is no percentage complete it could be racing every race, or winning every race, or racing every winnable car in every race which is what I'm doing. I have been doing that for about a year to maybe 2 and I'm very close to completeing the task.

There is a board around somewhere that states the game can be done in I think 101 days, GT days not real, please search for it to confirm.

However it also depends on what you want from a game. Do you just want to say yes I completed GT or do you want a game that you'll keep coming back to to see how such and such a car handles.

I have several logs of days "finishing" on day 101.

My logs are at http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/logs/

By finished I mean "acquired all trophies". No gold licenses. License tests passed in one day--either legitimately, or by reloading. And not even any "spot races" (since they show no trophy, although I believe the game does keep track of your best result in them). Once I almost finished the game in twenty-four hours of playing time, including spot races and arcade mode (but not gold licenses).

http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/logs/gt1-24hour.txt

If you are used to GT3, you will find the physics in GT1 disappointing--although you will probably appear to be driving much better! (smoother, faster). Play too much GT1 and it might take your edge off getting into GT4--you can develop a lot of bad habits for recovery of car control which just plain don't work in GT3 or GT4.

It took me about a year to finish it, I had no intentions of beating it, I just wanted to race and win cars, I reran the same races countless times which is most of the reason why it took so long.

Thats why I'm still going, I don't get the chance to race as often as I would like.

But I found it fun to go back and restart from scratch. Otherwise there's little point in running the FF/FR/4WD/Lwt races. Except to discover minimal winning combinations... To use when you restart another game.

Huh huh huh...he said Beat it.

So I'll be honest: I never finished the Tuned race in GT1 so I never finished the game, but it's mostly bc I was obsessed with winning this series in a Viper and refused to compromise with a 900 hp Skyline. I also got bored with the selection of cars but I still think GT1 is better than its sequel in a lot of ways.

Last edited:
True, I started as a complete ham-thumbed console neophyte (well I'd done some joystick racing on the C64) in early December, 1998, and didn't actually win the Tuned Series until April 17, 1999. For a while I thought it would be the part of the game I would never win.

http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/1999-04-17.html

True, that was with a GTO'95 MR, but I've won it lots of times with Vipers since then.

But anyway, I guess my honest answer is four months. My first documented Viper win in the series appears to be July 1, 1999, but I may have tried it before that.

But wait, there's more.

http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/1999-06-10.html

That indicates that I actually didn't win the Autumn Ring race of that series until June 10, 1999. (And that was using a Viper RT/10), so that makes my totally honest answer six months.

SportWagon
True, I started as a complete ham-thumbed console neophyte (well I'd done some joystick racing on the C64) in early December, 1998, and didn't actually win the Tuned Series until April 17, 1999. For a while I thought it would be the part of the game I would never win.

http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/1999-04-17.html

True, that was with a GTO'95 MR, but I've won it lots of times with Vipers since then.

But anyway, I guess my honest answer is four months. My first documented Viper win in the series appears to be July 1, 1999, but I may have tried it before that.

But wait, there's more.

http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/1999-06-10.html

That indicates that I actually didn't win the Autumn Ring race of that series until June 10, 1999. (And that was using a Viper RT/10), so that makes my totally honest answer six months.

Thanks for being so totally honest. I wish I'd kept records like you have.

TMM
Thanks for being so totally honest. I wish I'd kept records like you have.

One thing for sure: he's an honest man. :) Yeah, Sportwagon's GT1 diary rules, it inspired me to keep my own handwritten notes for GT2.

Parnelli Bone
One thing for sure: he's an honest man. :) Yeah, Sportwagon's GT1 diary rules, it inspired me to keep my own handwritten notes for GT2.

Aare you going to publish them on the net?

TMM
Aare you going to publish them on the net?

Hmmm, now there's an idear! Actually, my car reviews website is kinda based on my GT2 racing experiences, and some GT1 stuff, too...it's just not done in a linear fashion. I write all those reviews mostly for my own frame of reference. I'll race a car and if it's interesting to me I'll write about it, but then might not drive it again for months; so if I've written about it, all I gotta do is read what I wrote 4, 5 6 or even 9 months ago...

Well now that I know the Viper CAN win the tuned race, I'm gonna try it

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
Hmmm, now there's an idear! Actually, my car reviews website is kinda based on my GT2 racing experiences, and some GT1 stuff, too...it's just not done in a linear fashion. I write all those reviews mostly for my own frame of reference. I'll race a car and if it's interesting to me i'll write about it, but then might not drive it again for months; so if i've written about it, all i gotta do is read what i wrote 4, 5 6 or even 9 months ago...

Well now that i know the Viper CAN win the tuned race, i'm gonna try it

So whats the address of the site?

antisport.net
I dunno if you can beat GT1 or GT2

You can certainly beat GT2 as you have the percentage rating and in GT, when you complete the World Cup series you view a video which lists the designers etc so many would consider that as 'beating' the game.

Parnelli Bone
antisport.net
you can't
Dude, no offense, but that's not a good enough answer. Try again. This time go into some detail!

Thanks PB. I thought by the very nature of a percentage complete that you can therefore 'beat' the game by getting 100% complete. If, antisport.net, you are thinking that you can't get 100% complete in GT2 because of the 99.25% bug then it is well documented and I beleive there are ways round the problem, but you could consider 99.25% as complete, therefore you have 'beaten' the game.

Back