How much Hz does my tv needs for an optimal gt4 experience

• Thread starter RRRRRUL
  • 32 comments
1. I have a 50 Hz tv but is that enough to experience the full potential of gt4 when the game runs at 60 fps?

2. And is it worth it to get a GT Force Pro, gameplaywise (compared to a regular dualshock)?

Wanna get the most out of the game and therefore be fully prepared (only have 3 months left for preparation :))

ps which BMW's will be in the final game?

GT4 will look good no matter what TV you play it on. To me the 50hz - 60 fps thing is not an issue. I played all other GT's in a 50hz tv and to be honest I didn't notice any difference when I saw GT3 running on a 100hz grundig tv. of course the image was bigger but I think it lost a bit of definition.

Thanks for your insight, last question: is HZ the correct standard for fps? (like 100hz is enough for 60fps and 50 hz is not enough for 60fps) or does Hz have nothing to do with frames per second?? There must be some difference otherwise the two standards would be named the same, I would say

In fact, the new GT will support progressive scan high definition tv ... and if you think GT looks good on a normal TV, I have a feeling that this might look a slight bit better. :D

But I won't be able to afford one for quite a while so I guess I'll just have to do with what I have. Which is fine with me. ;)

No doubt GT4 will loose its 60hz mode on the journey to PAL release :(

Burnout 2 is so much better in 60hz mode than 50hz (they actually bothered coding it for the PAL release wooo).

what is progressive scan high def tv? If that's a super tv than it won't help me because I'm not going to buy it, on the other hand if it's some cable that enhances visuals or something than it's good news.

(I have a 5 year old sony 50 hz widescreen trinitron tv)

On a normal TV, say 60 frames per second, on the first frame, the tv displays the 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th etc. line of resolution. On the second frame it displays the 2nd 4th 6th etc. On a progressive scan tv, it displays every line of resolution in every frame, therefore absolutely flicker-free. The newer PS2's offer progressive scan capabilities, but if you don't have a progressive scan TV, it doesn't matter.
Hope this helps
Paddy

Originally posted by Paddy
On a normal TV, say 60 frames per second, on the first frame, the tv displays the 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th etc. line of resolution. On the second frame it displays the 2nd 4th 6th etc. On a progressive scan tv, it displays every line of resolution in every frame, therefore absolutely flicker-free. The newer PS2's offer progressive scan capabilities, but if you don't have a progressive scan TV, it doesn't matter.
Hope this helps
Paddy

Thanks

Originally posted by RRRRRUL
Thanks for your insight, last question: is HZ the correct standard for fps? (like 100hz is enough for 60fps and 50 hz is not enough for 60fps) or does Hz have nothing to do with frames per second?? There must be some difference otherwise the two standards would be named the same, I would say

Do you mean refresh rate? Analog TVs have a hz rating of 16.7hz, or so. Digital TVs can reach 37hz, or so. If it's any higher than that, the TV would use way too much energy and would run super hot. A TV would probably have a lot of problems if it was operating any hotter than how they are now.

Other than that, I don't really know what you mean.

Don't know exactly, just saw a discussion about Hz and fps without any sharp conclusion, so I tried to get an answer here.

My tv is 50 Hz (says at back), I know newer tv often have 100 Hz, I wanna know if 50 Hz is enough to pull gt4's full potential out with it's 60 fps (or more broadly speaking are Hz and fps related?)

Originally posted by RRRRRUL
Don't know exactly, just saw a discussion about Hz and fps without any sharp conclusion, so I tried to get an answer here.

My tv is 50 Hz (says at back), I know newer tv often have 100 Hz, I wanna know if 50 Hz is enough to pull gt4's full potential out with it's 60 fps (or more broadly speaking are Hz and fps related?)

Does it say 220v next to the 50hz?

The signal frequency for HDTV in NTSC is 60 hz verticle. Why would anybody need more than that?

Originally posted by Solid Lifters
Does it say 220v next to the 50hz?

The signal frequency for HDTV in NTSC is 60 hz verticle. Why would anybody need more than that?

If you mean 220 volts, I guess it would say so (can't check it now), since I'm in Holland and everything is 220v.

Just wanna know what Hz is. And if 50 and 100 hz tv's display a 60 fps game differently.

In an online tv shop under the tv's specifications it says "Picture quality: 100 Hz". Now I know mine is 50 Hz (not too much I would think), does that affect graphics display of a 60 fps game a lot?

Originally posted by Arwin
In fact, the new GT will support progressive scan high definition tv ... and if you think GT looks good on a normal TV, I have a feeling that this might look a slight bit better. :D

But I won't be able to afford one for quite a while so I guess I'll just have to do with what I have. Which is fine with me. ;)
is the new GT support progressive scan ??are you sure??

Originally posted by T5-R
No doubt GT4 will loose its 60hz mode on the journey to PAL release :(

Burnout 2 is so much better in 60hz mode than 50hz (they actually bothered coding it for the PAL release wooo).
Maybe not this time: GT4 will support progressive scan and most games that feature that, feature also a 60Hz mode beside 50Hz mode in PAL... so it's pretty likely ;)

Hertzes mean how many half-pictures your TV can display in a second and if you're playing with PAL PS2 it will be running at 50fps no matter what and you don't need any kind of 60Hz capable television for it.
100Hz televisions are a bit fake since they just calculate the additional frames between the ones they receive from a broadcast or VCR or game console :P

Originally posted by Kaniyodrift
Maybe not this time: GT4 will support progressive scan and most games that feature that, feature also a 60Hz mode beside 50Hz mode in PAL... so it's pretty likely ;)

:lol: just like me to not read the previous post :lol:
anyway almost all tv sets out there can display PAL60 mode if GT4 is going to support it so you don't need to worry about that

Originally posted by Speed Drifter
Hertzes mean how many half-pictures your TV can display in a second and if you're playing with PAL PS2 it will be running at 50fps no matter what and you don't need any kind of 60Hz capable television for it.
wth are u talking about? i got a 100Hz TV and i couldnt believe how smoother american GT3 looked on it than the PAL one... let alone Tekken, Burnout, Soul Calibur, Virtua Fighter etc... (which support 60Hz themselves) u know not all 50Hz PAL TVs support PAL60 on normal basis - some have black borders, while others display it still in 50Hz... i'm more than happy to play GT4p in 60Hz/fps... i don't think a random 50Hz TV would display it in 60Hz/fps:odd:

Originally posted by Kaniyodrift
wth are u talking about? i got a 100Hz TV and i couldnt believe how smoother american GT3 looked on it than the PAL one... let alone Tekken, Burnout, Soul Calibur, Virtua Fighter etc... (which support 60Hz themselves) u know not all 50Hz PAL TVs support PAL60 on normal basis - some have black borders, while others display it still in 50Hz... i'm more than happy to play GT4p in 60Hz/fps... i don't think a random 50Hz TV would display it in 60Hz/fps:odd:

of course a game running at 60 fps looks much smoother than one at 50 fps :lol:
and I'm pretty sure every single TV out there can display a 60Hz picture, with older TVs all you have to do is to adjust the vertical hold from 50Hz to 60Hz or 55Hz if you want your TV to be able to sync both refresh rates... the only problem is that the knob for V-hold is usually located inside the set so you need someone professional for adjusting it :(
older ones will have black borders since 60Hz simply has fewer scanlines than 50Hz :rolleyes:
Those short abbreviations used with 50 and 60 simply mean the color standard, they're not compatible with each other but you can mix different refresh rates and color signals, and TVs are usually able to pick only one color signal.. that's why they're using PAL and 60hz so people with old TVs could play the games in colors and stuff :D
i hope that cleared it out a little :cool:

Originally posted by Speed Drifter
I'm pretty sure every single TV out there can display a 60Hz picture, with older TVs all you have to do is to adjust the vertical hold from 50Hz to 60Hz or 55Hz if you want your TV to be able to sync both refresh rates...
Hey, it's ok - i was going to overclock my 100Hz TV to 120Hz anyways:mischievous:

I'm sort of getting the impression nobody here really knows what they're talking about! It's very confusing.

The PAL copy of GT3 has exactly the same frame rate as the NTSC copy, and that is 60 fps. The TV has got nothing to do with this.

PAL and NTSC are different refresh rates, so games need adjusted to display in both. If a game has been optimised for PAL (as GT3 was) then there is no speed difference. If it hasn't been optimised, the PAL image will have borders and run slower (like Final Fantasy X). In a lot of cases these days you get an option with PAL games to choose the refresh rate, but to display 60hz your TV must be NTSC compatible, and most of them are. Otherwise the picture just flickers.

Gran Turismo does not have this problem, buy the PAL version and it will work on your TV at full speed.

Originally posted by Darwock
The PAL copy of GT3 has exactly the same frame rate as the NTSC copy, and that is 60 fps. The TV has got nothing to do with this.
:confused: I thought the game must be running exactly at 50 fps in order to look smooth and smearless in 50Hz.. Maybe the game is actually running at 60 fps but V-sync is slowing it down to 50fps so it would look smooth? That's what I've learned from emulating console games on PC... :embarrassed:

Latest Posts

Back