How to Tune a car to Drift ???

Discussion in 'Forza Motorsport 1' started by Vicx, May 9, 2005.

1. Vicx

Vicx

can someone explain how to properly tune specific cars to drift? would the same settings work between all cars of the same type? eg FR settings work with all FR cars?
    I've tried to make a drift 240sx but it doesnt go very far or turn much, don't know exactly what to tune.

any help would be appreciated! I just wanna drift in this game. :tup:

btw I don't have any gt3/gt4 drift experience.

2. Eric.

Eric. Premium

What are you doiing to initiate the drift? Are you just using power to oversteer? Try using the feint technique. As you are heading towards a turn, make a quick movement opposite the direction of the turn, then towards the turn.

3. Vicx

Vicx

yea thats what I was doing, but I did try feinting and it worked best, I need to be taught I think.

anyway I asked the same question at IGN's Forza board, heres 3 replies:

Short gears, lots of horse power, lots of tire pressure, MR, RR, and FR drift easiest (skylines good too), low-class tires..thats all I know..emergency brake, gas in corners, lots of steering, and skill.

Pretty much everything he said, minus the e-brake.

Adjust your brakes so that they are rear-biased. This will break the rear loose with a quick tap of the brakes and you won't lose all of your front wheels' turning grip.

Stiffen the shocks and springs to avoid as much body roll as possible--it helps to increase the stiffness of your rear anti-roll bars. Lower the ride height.

When drifting, begin to counter-steer as soon as the rear end starts to swing around--don't wait until the last minute to try to throw your front tires around--you want your steering motions to be as silky as possible. Stay on the gas throughout the corner, modulating as you see fit. Counter-steer *more* to carry a straighter line and *less* to sharpen the curve of your drifting line. Just guide yourself with the front wheels and you'll be all right.

Or you could get a MR car and turn off traction and stability mischief Love the Porsche 911

4. Clin_10

Clin_10

I have a CRX that drifts the downhill, on firday, I will post up my settings for it because I can't go on during weekdays until June 7th (OUT OF SCHOOL!!!)

EDIT: Tip, if you want to do the downhill or uphill on the touge, save a setting for that so you won't be bouncing around on a stiff setup on those uneven roads, as with my CRX

5. Joey D

Joey D Premium

I found if you turn off the driving aids you get sideways with little difficulty. Thats ever how the instructions say to do it too.

6. LaBounti

LaBounti

All i did to my 407hp G35 was turn up the differencials to 80% and was drifting with easy and control. I use e brake and fient.

7. VXSSII

VXSSII

Just turn off the driving aids and drift away!!

8. T5-R

T5-R

I hoped my S60R would drift by altering the torque from front to rear but it wasn't the case. Well not easily, guess ill have to upgrade the suspension further after all and go back to the cheaper tires :) Atleast it makes a nice noise.

9. 194GVan

194GVan Premium

or more power! :D

10. Vicx

Vicx

come on be realistic, a drift car needs more than power and cheap wheels, I need settings!

11. T5-R

T5-R

Hehe thats another possibility, although I would have hoped 425BHP would be enough :D Worried it might loose its nice engine note though :nervous:

12. 194GVan

194GVan Premium

you guys should check out forzacentral.com, there are a few discussions about tuning various aspects of your car, plus you would probably get better response there as it is a board dedicated to forza.

13. Paddy_Mc

Paddy_Mc

I'm using an S14 Silvia running around 430bhp with nearly all the full engine mods and ALL of the chassis mods. I only use ABS and the rest stays off and I'm Getting some great linked drifts in it.

Try using GT4-esque settings on your Forza car, and your best to stay FR over the rest :)

14. 194GVan

194GVan Premium

someone on forzacentral is trying to organize some online practice sessions. to get in on it check the thread there, he is reccomending a B1 classed FR car with either of the cheaper 2 sets of tires so everyone participating is on the same page so to speak. He says he would like this to progress to the point where you can drift the entire touge start to finish.

15. McLaren

McLaren Premium

After many hours, my drifting in the Comp. Coupe have gotten much better. I tend to use power to oversteer.

Gas into the corner, and then let off the gas through it.
    If I hold the gas down, the car is just going to spin out.

16. Vicx

Vicx

17. 3.1-280z

3.1-280z

take a 70 boss 429 mustang.
    5.4 dohc navigator/lightning motor swap, upgrade everything {700+ hp} leave allthe aids on {it powers through them anyways} and slide away. this is the most controlable car i have when it comes to drifting. instant power from the s/c and larger motor.

18. Vicx

Vicx

no tuning at all? wont that just be a powersliding car?

19. DRIFT GOD

DRIFT GOD

Drft Skyline R34

tuned by DRIFTGOD
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 nissan skyline GT-R v spec II

526 hp / 464 ft-lbs / 2,802 lbs

engine tuning
    MOD
    intake & exhaust
    PRO
    fuel & egnition
    MOD
    turbo
    MOD
    intercooler
    PRO

suspension
    PRO
    brakes
    PRO
    transmission
    PRO
    clutch & flywheel
    PRO
    weight reduction
    PRO
    tires
    Y-RATED
    differential
    PRO

tires front 25
    tires rear 45

gearing
    f.d. 4.11
    1st 3.83
    2nd 2.37
    3rd 1.69
    4th 1.31
    5th 1.00
    6th 0.80

alignment
    camber -0.5 F & R
    toe leave 0.1 F & R

caster 5.1

anti roll
    front 24.8
    REAR 24.1

springs
    front 871.1
    rear 871.1

ride height
    FRONT 5.0
    REAR 5.0

bump damping
    front 5.7
    rear 2.2

rebound damping
    front 5.7
    rear 4.3

braking balance 0%
    pressure 200%
    e-brake 7,006

differential front
    accel 70%
    decel 100%

differential rear
    accel 40%
    decel 100%

center
    torque 10%

20. 3.1-280z

3.1-280z

what do you think drifting is?

you can fling any car into a drift if you know how to. regardless of set up. all it is is weight transfer and upsetting that balance to exceed rear tire traction. IE lots of power and a controlled slide.