How to tune: Questions and comments

• Thread starter gt2kid
  • 30 comments
First off, thanks for taking the time to do this.

I'm just wondering what you (personally) have to say about driving techniques. I mean, you and VetteEMT prob'ly have better advice than other FAQ-type things I've seen on the 'net. Maybe after tuning the cars, you can teach us how to drive 'em.

Yeah, I'm gonna cover that. It's darn near impossible to tell what effect your tuning efforts produce if you can't drive consistently. Vette's approach is very different :D

gawd, it would take hours to build up a suspension from your baseline's. I'd say start a little stiffer. And with 1deg front, and .5deg rear camber for all cars. RWD cars will need a bit more neg camber in rear than FWD or AWD due to the load placed upon them.

I have a doubt concerning the LSD. Acellerating & decelerating LSD I can deal with but the LSD initial torque well its not that I don´t know what it is since the name says it all but what are its aplications? Does it work only for 1st gear or lets say when you hit the throttle exiting a corner at lower speeds? What are its effects? Basicaly I don´t mess around with that much so if you know something about it drop a line.

Another question: with cars like the pennzoil skyline and mitsubishi 3000 gt LM 99 mainly trough 2nd & 3rd gear the car gets a bit shaky while accerelating. How to fix this, damper bound & rebound or is there something better?

Originally posted by bla
Another question: with cars like the pennzoil skyline and mitsubishi 3000 gt LM 99 mainly trough 2nd & 3rd gear the car gets a bit shaky while accerelating. How to fix this, damper bound & rebound or is there something better?
Is it the RPM needle shaking? If it is, that's a problem that cannot be fixed. It's best to let off the throttle and get back on it.

FuJi

Yes it´s exacly that. Once while driving the pennzoil I tried decellerating and hiting the gas again and it did work but I thought another solution was in order because y´know decellerating in a top speed strait isn´t very ... logical :rolleyes:
Anyway thanks for replying; too bad it can´t be fixed but at least it cleared my doubts on the issue. I think the gt90 suffers from this trembling as well but its a lot less perceptible.

Is it the RPM needle shaking? If it is, that's a problem that cannot be fixed. It's best to let off the throttle and get back on it.

Yeah and I find it very strange that it cannot be fixed, because in GT1 the only thing you had to do was set the damper on the minimum and it was gone.

bla, you might try adjusting the spring rates, reduce the front a little, if no effect return front to prev setting then reduce rear spring a little. Also ,another possible solution, I noticed these are awd cars,try setting your positve traction. set the front a little higher , by 1,2, or three points higher, this way the front is pulling the rear, it may be that the rear is overpowering the front . this may increase tire wear,but there are'nt to many places to worry about that.

thanks man :) I´ll do that. Funny thing about these problems: sometimes they get really annoying while others they are almost normal. Go figure, maybe something to do with track caracteristics.

bla, let me know if my suggestions helped. If they don't I'll look into your problem some more and see if I can come up with a solution for you.

Cerbera, I´ve tried messing with spring & ride heights. Even tried full tcs. The results were less than enlightening. Just like I said before sometimes the RPM would shake like crazy affecting acelleration sometimes it would behave. This semmed to happen tottaly at ramdom. In some cases I would thought the new settings were working but after braking & acellerating the RPM would stiil tremble. There should be a logical correction for the problem (well as a matter of fact I think it shouldn´t even be a problem in rhe first place, I don´t think the guy driving the pennzoil in japanese GT ever had to deal with this :rolleyes: ) but if there really is I´m missing it completely. If you´re continuing the tests and manage to find find something drop me a line. By the way I tested the Pennzoil in red rock valley

I have an off the topic question. I am playing GT3 now and trying to finish it up. I have 99.0% done. I have beat all of Simulation mode, and in arcade i beat all the single races and all the time trials. How do i get the last 1%. Thanks!!

original, I,wouldnt know . Wash all your cars?lol Hard to say, ya need to find a fellow gt 3 .Should a be probably a dozen or so that have 100% complete.

bla, I don't have a pennzoil but I have all the other skylines. I ran the Jecs and the Calsonic. They both do the same thing your talking about. I tried a few things but really didn't get anywhere. The thing that worked best for me was to short shift, shift a 100 rpms before the tach reaches the red. My gear settings are (1st 3.610)//(2nd 2.548)// (3rd 1,885)// (4th 1,450)// (5th 1.168)// (6th 0.952)// (Final 3.599). I lowered 6th gear so the tach is about 200 rpms short of being in the red at the end of the streight. LSD front 22//rear18 ///LSD Accel 41 & 41 ///LSD Decel front 15//rear 16. Suspension 8.7 & 7.6//ride height 85 & 85//damper bound 4&4/.rebound 2&2//camber 2.6 & 1.0//toe 0&0//stabilizers 5&5///downforce max front & rear. Sry I could'nt get it worked out bla . I ran a 1:05.158//max speed 187.1 .What have you been getting?

Hey thanks for taking the trouble. I figured this problem was pretty unavoidable though. when you ask about what I have been getting ... like times in red rock valley with the pennzoil? If that´s an yes I haven´t raced for times only checking rpm advance corner behaviour going back & forth stuff like that.
By the way how do you play gt - psx or emu? If it is an emu i´ll gladly send you a save with the pennzoil. Had a psx but my cousin made me the favour of wrecking it :mad:

bla. no problem, I was just curious about your times, I'd noticed that your times at midway in the RX-7 are very near what I get. I thought I was pretty good untill I raced against a few like Fogelhund and few others. Fogy gave me a set-up for the 97 R-390 that you would think is not a very balanced set-up but improved the times at DEEP Forrest. To answer the your Q? about what system I have, it' an old PSX. What's an emu? Have you tried short shifting? I did that in the muscle car challenge. Short shifted from 4th to 5th.Knocked off several 10ths and broke into the 1:16s finally by trying that. If you got any tips on camber and toe I'd sure appreciate it. I want to get better forward bite to keep from drifting up at high speed and have a smaller turning radius at lower speeds. cya later have a good one.

Emu as in emulator. Short shifting as in shortning gear ratios? of course, all my cars (well almost every) are short shifted yet that setting is general: all cars are shifted to get close to top out at the biggest straits like red rock valley or ssr5. These are basic settings then comes some suspension details lsd aerodinamics and then really detailed testwise stuff like toe & camber. I have a big garage lots of cars to attend so i´m still on the basics, can´t help you with that sorry but you´re bound to get settings from other gtp members :) . One thing though what´s short shifting from 4th to 5th? And what do you mean with this: «I'd noticed that your times at midway in the RX-7 are very near what I get» :confused:

Not midway sry meant Midfield,as in rotary's at midfield,maybe I'm thinkin of some1 else. Short shift, to shift before your tach gets to the red line. Still don't know what an emu is :confused: lol

Hey gt2kid,
Would you be able to help someone that is interested in learning more about fine tuning Rally Car setups? I have read your thread on your thought and views about setups for the other cars you put out back in March of this year. And I did learn somethings from it. But, now I am interested on how to get better lap times with the Rally Cars. I would appreciate any suggestions that you might have, or if you know of any addresses at other sites that talks about the Rally Car setups. Thanks for reading this, and hope to hear back from you soon.

Daddy Gary
Moderator of GT2_USA Challenge Group.

You are thinking of somebody else. The first thing I thought was «how the heck does this guy knows about my times??? :odd:» Midway wasn´t a problem I figured you were talking about midfield the problem is that I don´t even got times with the rx-7 in it nor have I posted lap times anywhere :confused: . When you were talking about short shifting I thought shortning gear ratios. Well to tell you the truth I don´t short shift much I just love to hear the car roaring its rpms out :D especialy those who have a cool engine sound. As for your everlasting doubt I find it awkward a net man not knowing what an emu is :P
An emulator is a program that simulates the workings of a system like psx genesys snes n64 etc. on your computer. Some are really bad some are ok. I use one and so far i don´t have complaints at least concerning gt2.

Bla, I,m no net man. I,m from the pre net man generation :) I am more familiar with terms like servo cams , limit switches, lands,& lash,rake ,relief, and that thingamajig :D. When it comes to net stuff I'm lost :confused: sry.

Nothing to be sorry about it´s just nicks or avatars don´t show us an age :P
One thing though since it was my first question do you know what lsd initial torque is all about. Well I have a general idea not a specific one like where it comes in only 1st gear when you start accelerating or what?

Bla, true enough. As far as an answer,I,ll give it a shot but I have to give this disclaimer,I'm no mechanic and I'm not sure if these applications of mechanical actions really are applied in the game. LSD -limited slip. During normal accelleration the car is being pushed or pulled, RWD or FWD by only 1 of the wheels(the drive wheel) 1/2 of the axel. Now,under full accelleration if the drive wheel loses traction a mechanism in the axel locks the other half of the axel so power is going to both wheels. Now this has nuthin to do with which gear your in it's just that this event happens in the lower gears because the engines power is more capable of over-powering the drive wheels traction. Now the reason that cars only have one driving wheel is so they can turn, go around corners. If both wheels were driving as it tried to go around a corner the out-side wheel would have to turn more times around in order to keep up with the inside wheel and since it can,t it would be put in a bind. Imagine you holding a rope 5ft long, a friend holds the other end , you turn in a circle, the friend has to turn in a circle with you and must keep their same relative position to you, say their left side to your right side. It takes very little effort for you to turn but your friend will be in a hurry trying to keep up,taking many more steps than you. If the friend were only aloud to take the same amount of steps as you they would fall behind. Now, Limited Slip Decelleration, that,s a whole different story. When you are driving and you let off the gas you coast,ok, but you coast at a different rate per which gear you are in. When you are in 1st gear going 40 mph and let off the gas the car slows faster than it would if it were in 2nd. Now what if you were going 80 miles an hour in 5th gear and you wanted to be in 4th real fast but you accidentally slammed it into 2nd. The engine isn't able to turn fast enough to drive the wheel 80 mph in 2nd gear so the axel disengages the drive wheel untill the car has slowed down enough,otherwise the drive wheel would act like a wheel with full brake on and the engines revs would be maxed untill the cars speed slows enough that the engine is capable of turning the drive wheel at the speed the car is traveling. This is how I understand it, hope it helps you out.

Cerbera I´m really thankful for the humungus explanation but I what I was really looking for was LSD initial torque since I was already familiarized with the other forms of lsd. Please don´t get me wrong I´m just "complaining" cause you being in possesion of such a vast source of info maybe you could give me some input on initial torque or maybe I´m just making a big fuss about it and initial torque is plain and simply the lsd that is activated when you hit the gas :P

Back