How Did Polyphony Digital Pull Off Graphics and Dynamic weather on PS4

How will GT7 run on Ps4!

• Total voters
Like in the real world driving in rain or driving at night is not something I like to do . So when a online race is available with those conditions I will be looking some where else in GTS or GT7 to have fun.

Yeah, this seems like the case. Not only does Trial Mountain not have any circuit lights on the side of the track, but this would also explain that cloud shot during the first 2020 trailer. The clouds were moving rapidly, but the shadows were static. It makes sense, because I don't think Polyphony would let players drive around a pitch black Trial Mountain. It was the same in GT5 and GT6.
And why would PD allow you to drive on Willow Springs at night in GT6 then?

I mean Nurburgring is pitch black throughout most of it. I hope there's a full 24h time transition for all tracks. Pitch dark night driving with only your headlights lighting up the road is one of the most immersive things when driving and racing.

Last edited:
I mean Nurburgring is pitch black throughout most of it. I hope there's a full 24h time transition for all tracks. Pitch dark night driving with only your headlights lighting up the road is one of the most immersive things when driving and racing.

Lol, it looks like it's from some horror movie. :lol:

Willow Springs would be the exception to the rule, most permanent race facility's with pit garages, offices, grand stands, etc., would most likely have some lighting around the track. At this point it's only a guess if Trial Mountain will have variable time, but the lack of track lights does hint to maybe not having it. It might have sunrise to sunset variable time, that way PD doesn't have to figure in lights, similar to Sainte-Croix Circuit in GT Sport doesn't have lights at the sunset.

Last edited:
Just as a bit of addition to night driving, Sydney Motorsport Park recently added permanent lights around the circuit. Mainly to host Supercars events. If PD wanted, they could probably just do that. Not sure if they’d need permission in the licence agreement.

I still think that if variable time/weather was a finished product it would have been a prominent feature in the last video, maybe showing cars at Le Mans with the Time/weather changing with rain or something, but with it only being listed as a feature on the website, I assume there still working bugs out.

I still think that if variable time/weather was a finished product it would have been a prominent feature in the last video, maybe showing cars at Le Mans with the Time/weather changing with rain or something, but with it only being listed as a feature on the website, I assume there still working bugs out.
We also have 5-6 months until the game comes out, so it's very likely they'll actually release information slowly over that time frame, like most devs.

Last edited:
Well, it's a real-world, not fantasy track, so there's that.
Obviously but I was showing him that even if PD doesn't add track lights around the original tracks, it doesn't stop them from allowing you to race on pitch dark tracks as shown in the video I posted.

One thing I noticed from the trailer, they are still using GT6 style raindrops on the windshield in cockpit view.

A bit disappointing. On the PS4, I can understand the limitation. But for the PS5 version (which I assume is what's shown on the trailer), I expected denser droplets like GT5. And Driveclub still blows everything out of the water when it comes to windshield water behaviour (granted it's at 30 FPS).

One thing I noticed from the trailer, they are still using GT6 style raindrops on the windshield in cockpit view.

A bit disappointing. On the PS4, I can understand the limitation. But for the PS5 version (which I assume is what's shown on the trailer), I expected denser droplets like GT5. And Driveclub still blows everything out of the water when it comes to windshield water behaviour (granted it's at 30 FPS).

I think this is because some ps4 players would be mad if ps5 version has better looking rain so they left it unchanged.

Last edited:
I would say that the two versions of GT7 will receive mutual updates for some time. Afterwards, only the GT7 PS5 will receive more sophisticated updates regarding dynamic weather and time.

The DriveClub rain, especially the windshield effects, is still the graphical reference.

Last edited:
I have a bad feeling about gt7 on ps4, how good it look with all thes Behind the scene trailers and it keeps say taken from ps5 gameplay and Cinematics. We have yet to see any thing for ps4

I have a bad feeling about gt7 on ps4, how good it look with all thes Behind the scene trailers and it keeps say taken from ps5 gameplay and Cinematics. We have yet to see any thing for ps4
It's really unlikely that you see anything for PS4 before release. There's no advantage to Polyphony to do so, they're better off just using the PS5 footage and letting people assume that it'll be almost as good.

There is no ray tracing seen in replay scenes in latest short trailers, so maybe these parts are taken from the PS4 version.

There is no ray tracing seen in replay scenes in latest short trailers, so maybe these parts are taken from the PS4 version.
Very unlikely given the message saying footage taken from PS5 gameplay and cinematics.

Yes I know... that's why it's strange that there is no RT. You can even see difference in the lighting and shaders - It's most noticeable on the tarmac . It looks more like PS4s GT Sport rather than the every earlier PS5s GT7 footage.

Last edited:
60fps will be standard on base PS4, it's has to be, 30fps in a racing game is just unenjoyable with the input lag.
Maybe lower the resolution to 720p on base ps4, 1080p to 1440p dynamic on the pro and go all out on the ps5. Resolution has more of a performance hit that anything else.

Last edited by a moderator:
PS4 1080p60 with FSR (720p-900p), PS4Pro 4k60 with FSR (900p-1440p), PS5 full 4k60...

Last edited:
I hope 1080p 60fps with slighty more drops in framerate in relation to Sport. Maybe dynamic res on the base PS4 but no way the game will be 30fps.

PC version of Assetto Corsa with latest rain mod.

Some nice effects but not realistic overall. There is a weird effect behind the wiper as it clears water but mainly there is no increase in intensity at speed. Looks the same stationary and at speed.

Plus, I don’t think the sun rays go from the width of a two Football fields, to mere inches, when it meets the windscreen. ;)

Some nice effects but not realistic overall. There is a weird effect behind the wiper as it clears water but mainly there is no increase in intensity at speed. Looks the same stationary and at speed.
It also looks to have a (small) monthly subscription fee and also needs three other mods to look like that. There's a reason why this game is so niche, even on PC.

I personally prefer the ease of use consoles offer with there out of the box settings. This is where DriveClub was great with it's rain implementation.

I don't think I've seen it mentioned here yet, but it's possible we could see PD's first (?) implementation of dynamic resolution scaling to particularly help the base PS4 version. This is how PCARS 2 achieved what it did. That game didn't always run well on consoles, but PD's go of it would of course be better/more efficient at least thanks to their intimacy with PlayStation hardware.

This is speculation of course, but I think the PS4 Pro could do well at 1440p with little/no DRS. It's a small step down from GT Sport's 1800p, but perhaps necessary to make room for the added system load that dynamic weather/lighting introduces. I see a 900p future for base PS4.

Latest Posts

Back