HTC Vive Pro & HTC Vive Virtual Reality Headset Thread

Is the cost for the device too prohibitive for consumers?

• Yes

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • No

Votes: 11 34.4%

• Total voters
Guys, is motion sickness a big issues for you?
I've had a couple instances of a motion sickness feeling but it has been very fleeting, lasting literally a second at a time. It has not affected my enjoyment of the headset at all. I've played for 3-4 hours at a time with no issues. It does obviously affect different people in different ways and will be very personal to each individual. So unfortunately it's a case of not really knowing until you try.

Still not shipped :(

Order Date:
March 31, 2016

Edit: received before the shipping email was sent :)

Last edited:
So, I have tested my HTC Vive....

And to be honest, it is both impressive and disapointing:

1/ Racing games: Immersion is way better than anything I have tested: triple-screen, 3d tvs, curved screens, my triple curved screens set-up, etc.
I tested project cars with a x-bow.... and I started to move my hands to touch the virtual cockpit... Amazing. I was trully believing I was seating in the car !
To give an other example, using shifter paddles seems very weird when the avatar uses a shifter :boggled:

2/ The vive screens have a 1200x1080 for each eye... but the images displayed have a circular shape so in fact, the image you see is within a circle which is in a 1200x1080 pixels rectangular shape.
Calculations done, I estimated the image to be roughly 1 million pixels detailed... more or less what you get with a classic 720p 16/9 image.

3/As you are much closer to the screen than when you look at a tv, this number of pixels is way too low for "real gaming". It is ok for all the demos and mini-games things but for a racing game, it is a different story.

4/ To make it simple, in a racing game like project cars, the interior of the car is ps4 grade, mid-distance objects seem ps3 grade and long-distance objects feel ps2 grade.

5/ For real games (racing, fps, etc), testing the Vive gives a taste of the crazy resolution that would be needed for VR gaming to deliver its full potential (4000x4000 pixels ?)

6/ So this is a great experience, my kids love this. But for real gaming, I would say that the Vive and the Rift are to VR gaming what the Iphone 1 was to smartphones: principles are there but it needs to evolve a lot.

7/ Triple screen set-ups should be kept for a few years !

NB: for some reason, the "direct feed" videos you see on youtube (or on the pc screen while you wear the Vive) look much better than what you feel in the headset. Aliasing, etc. Again, I think that it is linked to the resolution versus eye-screen distance ratio and to the fact that immersion makes your brain try to focus on low details objects when using the Vive. On the contrary we look at the game image or video more globally when seeing it classically on a tv or pc monitor.

Last edited:
Well just spent the last couple of hours after the GT Sport reveal playing Asseto Corsa in the Vive. Wow! Can't believe how good it is considering it's a hack of pre-alpha support for the Rift. Better than what I experienced with PCars native support. Much less taxing on the hardware and runs super smooth. It's an absolute joy.

Well just spent the last couple of hours after the GT Sport reveal playing Asseto Corsa in the Vive. Wow! Can't believe how good it is considering it's a hack of pre-alpha support for the Rift. Better than what I experienced with PCars native support. Much less taxing on the hardware and runs super smooth. It's an absolute joy.

It does run quite good, but it definately needs Anti aliasing

Dowload the Oclus debug tool and set the pixel overide to 2.0 for increased render resolution and a much better picture quality : https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/pc/1.4.0/Oculus_SDK_for_Windows/

@TGR_Kefran, i definately agree with you point 1-5 but.....

6. I haven't used anything else but the rift since the last 3 weeks
7. I still have my triple TV's, but i doubt that i will ever use them.

Give AC a try and use the debug tool, I'm curious what you think of it.

Dowload the Oclus debug tool and set the pixel overide to 2.0 for increased render resolution and a much better picture quality : https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/pc/1.4.0/Oculus_SDK_for_Windows/

@TGR_Kefran, i definately agree with you point 1-5 but.....

6. I haven't used anything else but the rift since the last 3 weeks
7. I still have my triple TV's, but i doubt that i will ever use them.

Give AC a try and use the debug tool, I'm curious what you think of it.
Just gave this a go and yes it does make an appreciable difference. AC in VR really is very special.

Good news for Vive users. No need to install oculus SDK now.

• Oculus pixel per display is now available as setting in Documents/Assetto Corsa/cfg/oculus.ini [SETTINGS] PIXEL_PER_DISPLAY

/\

Nice. I'm not picking up a Vive until I can get a GTX 1070 for under 400 (with a decent cooler) or a Polaris 10 card that's semi competitive. I don't expect the 1070 to be sub 400 dollars for many, many months. So I'm hoping AMD can produce something decent for a change.

Dream scenario is that HTC starts selling these at Amazon/Best Buy by the time the GPU situation sorts itself out. I'd prefer not to have to deal with HTC customer service if I get a dud.

Personally thought AC was the best VR experience for DK2 (even with all its flaws). It's nice to see those videos showing you can actually see the menus now. And now things like putting pixel per display in the settings. Kunos definitely is providing more than token support this time around. It should be the definitive hot lapping sim for me.

That was actually interesting, like he says most reviewers are totally in love with VR, so I'm curious to see his take on it as someone not really sold on VR.

He might be sold on VR like everybody who tries it rather not setting it up. Everybody loves plug and play :)

Unless you are getting into compability issues like me it shouldn´t be to hard honestly but it´s nothing for the cable allergics.

Anyone here attempted it on a Geforce 500 series? GTX 580 in my case. I know I am not alone to struggle with it so I do have hope for better luck with the X 1080.

Rather starting VR experience.... Their presentation was ridiculous they shown how their card beated the X 1080 in fps by putting it on lowest graphics fidelity even in tiny youtube videos every single soul could see the difference. Might still be a good bang for buck card of course.

Rather starting VR experience.... Their presentation was ridiculous they shown how their card beated the X 1080 in fps by putting it on lowest graphics fidelity even in tiny youtube videos every single soul could see the difference. Might still be a good bang for buck card of course.

True they seem a bit dobious, but keep in mind this is their low end card. They've yet to show off their high end Polaris card which I'm curious to see even though I dont need a new GPU.

Enjoy reading these posts and peoples experiences of both current offerings from these 1st gen options.
I am not sold on the room idea and the constraints of such being what consumers really need/want or can accommodate.

Interestingly Samsung have in the past week just teased their first 4K screens for mobile.
Newest upcoming "Galaxy Note" may have "USB C " which could mean a new "Gear VR" arriving also.
VR certainly isn't going to stand still for too long.

Personally I like the idea of a "Gear VR" type headset that is portable/cordless for when using with the "mobile only" but the addition of USB C on upcoming devices could make them fully compatible with Display Port audio/video and offering super fast high bandwidth.

Curious if the future of VR on PC may be like "google cardboard" enabling users to use their "compatible phones" to reduce the costs and help combine portable/pc experiences.

Like imagine now how many people would be adopting this if you could just buy a cheaper headset and use your current phone as the display. Also with new GPU like the 480/1070 reducing the price of making VR gaming more affordable.

The next couple of years could be fascinating if they want VR to really take off to be more mainstream and combine with portable usage.

Last edited:
My experience with PCars was quite underwhelming. Massive screendoor the cockpits was not enjoyable at all and really hard to see where you are going.

That was on a R9 280x but it´s the Vive the performance was good. I am now trying to get it running on a 7970 but it fails... Is it even possible to use the displayport instead of hdmi option? I connect through the mini display port and I get image on both screens (I can´t select direct mode for some reason). That is different on GTX 580 just one screen. However vive dashboard don´t recognize my headset and seem to look for the HDMI rather then DP? In the settings it also don´t find the camera? When on my GTX 580 camera etc worked just got no image out of it.

Tried PCars now at home with my computer. Disabled all post processing and everything and no aa but I get some weird anomalies on all trackside objects so I can hardly see where I am going?

I got LFS S3 and there I for sure got what people is raving about. I had virtually exactly the same experience minus the feel of kerbs punishing my spine and a bit to low torque on the wheel (TX) when using that small tiny formula kart or what it´s. It braked exactly the same and feeling through corners etc exactly the same wow.

Then tried F1 and more of be afraid be very afraid :D

Cleaner graphics but it´s really on the low side but it´s certainly easier to see where I am going then in PCars.

btw I have trouble I cant get the vive camera to activate? Is there any particular trick to activate that?

Of course but how do I get it to show when on my head? the manuals is so incredibly lackluster.... there is some mention of double clicking the action button or something but no double clicking on any button on the motion controllers do give me the cameras view.

Back