Hurricane Patricia - Now strongest on record

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 52 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
This thing went from a tropical storm to a category 5 hurricane in less than 24 hours, and now has been announced as the strongest hurricane on record. Sustained winds near 200mph. A Hurricane Warning continues from San Blas to Punta San Telmo, and a Hurricane Watch and Tropical Storm Warning from east of Punta San Telmo to Lazaro Cardenas. Patricia is centered as of 7 a.m. CDT about 145 miles (235 km) southwest of Manzanillo, moving toward the north-northwest near 12 mph (19 km/h).

Thoughts to all those in it's path. Hunker down and stay safe.

11923615_955430227855791_446636924991009232_n.jpg

11933384_955432174522263_1726263379585527986_n.jpg

I was just about to post this. Not only the strongest hurricane, the most dangerous storm ever in history. :eek:

The Chicago area is expected to get hit with heavy rain from this storm, that's how strong this one is expected to be. :eek:

This monster Hurricane will hit in about 3-4 hours... :nervous: Let's hope for the best for the people of Colima, Jalisco, Nayarit...

Holy crap, I didn't know it was this bad! o.o Thoughts to everyone in its path, I'd get the heck outta there. If its the strongest ever, who knows what it's capable of. :s

The ocean temperature this summer in SoCal was warmer than it's been in a long time..
I don't know the exact data on that, but a few of those yellow bellied sea snakes that live in the more tropical regions washed up on the beach last month.. Climate change is happening around here for sure..

We'll need to keep the people of southern Mexico in our thoughts

The ocean temperature this summer in SoCal was warmer than it's been in a long time..
I don't know the exact data on that, but a few of those yellow bellied sea snakes that live in the more tropical regions washed up on the beach last month.. Climate change is happening around here for sure..
We are currently in the strongest El Nino ever recorded I believe which comes from warm pacific ocean temperatures near the equator.
By the time it makes landfall it would be harmless as a fly...
Didn't know you were a meteorologist.

It's official, this thing is the strongest hurricane in the history of the freaking planet :nervous:

Just look at it:

CSBUwibUwAEg0fF.jpg:large

Image from Scott Kelly's Twitter, from the International Space Station.

Wherever it hits, that place is going to be erased from the face of earth :nervous:

Although there have been stronger Typhoons in the Eastern Hemisphere, there's never been a storm this strong ever on this side of the globe, let alone storms this strong that make landfall. If I'm correct, the distance the hurricane force winds span out from the center of this storm actually doesn't go as far out as you'd expect. But either way, I think gusts of over 200mph are gonna occur wherever the thing makes landfall, and possibly some incredible storm surge. Thoughts and prayers going out to those who are gonna be affected tonight.

Looks like there's also another one following. This could end up horrible:
unbenannt1zju00.jpg

That's Hurricane Olaf, which is going to turn around and head out to sea. Nothing to worry about that one.

Is it possible for this behemoth to go cross country, survive somewhat and regain strength in the Gulf?

Is it possible for this behemoth to go cross country, survive somewhat and regain strength in the Gulf?
It could be possible, but it will be extremely difficult because of the terrain it has to cross over.

Very unlikely. Too much land and terrain to cross over plus the track it's taking does not let it go to the Gulf. Only one storm I can remember was able to regenerate and make direct landfall twice (Ivan, 2003).

Is it the strongest? Debatable. It will cause a ton of damage and will outweigh Katrina in the Americas, but I'm not sure about Huiyan, which devastated the Philippines in 2013 in terms of cost.

It is NOT the hurricane that has had the lowest minimum central pressure. It is the lowest near the Americas, but 4 storms in the Pacific were lower. Tip 870 mbar in 1979, Nora in 1973 and June in 1975 both at 875 mbar, and Ida in 1958 at 877 mbar. Still, a very dangerous storm.

This went from a stormy spot on the radar to Holy von Crap in 24 hours. Yikes!

More like Brundlefly...multipled by a few hundred. And by a factor of Haiyan-Andrew-Katrina-Hugo.

I doubt it would re-form after crossing the mountains, although it seems more likely to break up and dump rainy weather on the Ark-La-Tex region. It would probably have to hit a bit more south, near the narrowest cross-section of southeastern Mexico for "Patricia II" to happen.

This went from a stormy spot on the radar to Holy von Crap in 24 hours. Yikes!

More like Brundlefly...multipled by a few hundred. And by a factor of Haiyan-Andrew-Katrina-Hugo.

I doubt it would re-form after crossing the mountains, although it seems more likely to break up and dump rainy weather on the Ark-La-Tex region. It would probably have to hit a bit more south, near the narrowest cross-section of southeastern Mexico for "Patricia II" to happen.
Which would essentially cause it to beeline to Texas/Louisiana coast.

I think gusts of over 200mph are gonna occur

We wish. 200-ish mph is the sustained wind speed. The gusts will reach 250 mph or 400 km/h.

For those asking if ths thing could jump all of Mexico and gain force again at the oher side, just behind the coast zone where Patricia will hit is the Sierra Madre del Sur, an enormous mountain chain that might stop it dead on its tracks... or so it's hoped, as this thing is so monstruous it might really happen. If it does stop it, the zone will be severely damaged.

And yes, the wind speeds and 12-meter high waves are amazing, but one thing that hasn't been mentioned in the thread, I think, is the water Patricia is carrying. It's estimated that about 40 to 45 percent of all the rain that falls in the zone in one year will pour down in about 16 hours. Rivers and lakes will overflow and absolutely swipe out towns and small cities, and paralyze the big ones for days, if not weeks. Patricia's downpour might be even more dangerous than it's brutal force.

My inner weather geek really likes storms like this because it shows the power of nature, but the human in me feels awful for those that have to experience it and will end up losing something due to it. Hopefully the evacuations save lives and the worst anyone has to suffer is property damage and not the loss of a loved one.

Do you enjoy saying really ignorant things? There will be deaths associated with this and damage to infrastructure, how many or how much is yet to be seen but I can promise you it won't be harmless. Cat 5 storms just don't degrade that quickly.

Back