Hurricane Watch: Post-Tropical Cyclone Sandy.

• Thread starter Blitz24
  • 390 comments
Never lost power, only flickered. Still had school (I left early anyways) while most didn't.

Manhatten

282252_10151285743011350_1192940772_n.jpg

A 168 foot water tanker pulled loose from its moorings and has run aground on Front Street on Staten Island, NY

http://www.silive.com/northshore/index.ssf/2012/10/tanker_runs_aground_in_staten.html

Nice parking job!

And it wasn't anchored far away from there, right at the Verrazano Bridge. NJ Shore was hit very hard. Levee breach about 10 miles South of me so right now the area is pretty much what it was like 1 year ago today, starting to recover from another storm.

http://news.msn.com/us/a-state-by-state-look-at-the-east-coast-superstorm

Here's a state-by-state look at the latest:

CAROLINAS

North Carolina Gov. Beverly Perdue expanded a state of emergency to western North Carolina, which could see a foot of snow. A woman who was pulled from the Atlantic after abandoning a tall ship died, and the captain is still missing. Power outages: 6,600.

CONNECTICUT

The Long Island Sound flooded roads as the storm toppled trees and power lines Two people died, including an Easton firefighter who was killed when a tree fell on his truck. The University of Connecticut is closing Tuesday, joining a hundreds of other schools and school systems across the state. The closure includes UConn's law school and the UConn Health Center, though the John Dempsey Hospital will remain open during the storm. Power outages: More than 615,000

DELAWARE

Nearly all residents of flood-prone coastal communities in Kent County heeded calls to evacuate. The Rehoboth Beach and Dewey Beach resort communities were flooded. Dover Air Force Base has relocated some aircraft in anticipation of the storm, and the Federal Emergency Management Agency has requested that the base be used as a staging area for support and supplies. More than 45,000.

ILLINOIS

High wind warnings and a lakeshore flood warning are in effect Tuesday and Wednesday in Chicago. City officials said Lake Shore Drive is expected to remain open.

KENTUCKY

A winter storm warning is in effect in Harlan, Letcher and Pike counties through Wednesday morning. Sandy is expected to bring snow to far southeastern Kentucky with forecasters predicting an accumulation of 4 to 10 inches in high elevations and 1 to 3 inches in lower elevations. In some areas, winds could gust up to 50 mph through Tuesday.

MAINE

Wind gusts topped 60 mph, shutting down the port of Portland and knocking out power to homes and businesses. State officials say the biggest concern is wind, which is expected to cause widespread power outages. The state's utilities say they have crews poised to deal with expected power outages, including some from Canada. Power outages: More than 86,000.

MARYLAND

Floodwaters swamped touristy Ocean City. In western Maryland, snow tied up traffic. A falling tree killed a man in Pasadena. Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake says vehicular travel is banned on city roads. The ban started Monday evening. The restrictions to do not apply to uniformed personnel, hospital employees or other medical providers. Power outages: 290,000.

MASSACHUSETTS

Strong winds and heavy surf led to mandatory evacuations in sections of coastal Dartmouth and Fall River and voluntary evacuations in other coastal communities. Power outages: More than 300,000.

MICHIGAN

High winds knocked out power to at least 60,000 homes and businesses.

NEW HAMPSHIRE

Politicians canceled visits to the presidential swing state Monday, as Gov. John Lynch declared a state of emergency and put 100 New Hampshire Guard soldiers on active duty. Power outages: 179,000.

NEW JERSEY

The center of the storm came ashore Monday evening near Atlantic City, which was cut off from the mainland by the storm surge along with other barrier islands, stranding residents who ignored warnings to evacuate. Hundreds of people were being evacuated after a levee broke in the northern New Jersey town of Moonachie. At least three deaths were reported. All roads into and out of Ocean City are closed due to flooding that has cut off the popular Jersey shore resort community. Hurricane Sandy already had flooded most of Atlantic City, sweeping away an old section of the city's famed boardwalk. Power outages: More than 2.3 million.

NEW YORK

A record storm surge that was higher than predicted along with high winds damaged the electrical system and plunged millions of people into darkness. Utilities say it could be up to a week before power is fully restored. The governor's office said there were five storm-related deaths. A fire burned 50 houses in one flooded section of Queens. New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg said the city's public schools will remain closed on Tuesday. The Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel and Holland Tunnel closed Monday. Airports in the metropolitan New York City area are open, but air carriers are not operating. Power outages: More than 1.8 million.

OHIO

The Cleveland area and northeast Ohio were being slammed with rain and high winds. Snow was reported in some parts south of Cleveland and south of Columbus. Residents of low-lying areas and along Lake Erie were told to watch for flooding. Power outages: More than 250,000.

PENNSYLVANIA

Wind and flooding closing more than 200 bridges and roads. Four people died, including an 8-year-old boy who was killed when a tree limb fell on him. Power outages: 1.2 million.

RHODE ISLAND

Howling winds and storm surges forced mandatory and voluntary evacuations in low-lying and coastal communities. Providence's hurricane barrier performed well in one of its biggest tests. Power outages: 115,000.

TENNESSEE

Snow is expected in higher elevations, where a freeze warning has been issued. High winds are expected in many areas.

VERMONT

Winds knocked down trees and power lines, and localized flooding is possible Tuesday. Gov. Peter Shumlin declared a state of emergency Monday to provide access to National Guard troops in a state still recovering from the devastating effects of the remnants of Hurricane Irene. Culverts and storm drainage basins in some spots have been cleared of debris. Power outages: More than 10,000.

VIRGINIA

Utilities brought in crews to help restore power after high winds and snow. A curfew was ordered Monday on Chincoteague Island where officials say the entire 37-square-mile island is underwater, and there is no way off the island because a causeway to the mainland has been closed. The 3,500 islanders who decided to tough out Hurricane Sandy have been told to keep off the streets. More than 131,000.

WASHINGTON, D.C.

Federal and local governments will remain closed Tuesday along with the courts, public schools and the Metro system that serves 1.2 million weekday customers. Widespread cancellations are expected at the region's three major airports. Taxis that originate in Washington are authorized Monday to add an emergency flat rate of $15 per trip because of Hurricane Sandy. The price is supposed to expire at noon Tuesday, but can be extended if considered necessary. The capital area's transit system shut down rail service for the first time since 2003.Power outages: 25,000.

WEST VIRGINIA

Some areas are buried under more than a foot of snow. A woman was killed in a traffic crash. At least 15 counties are under a blizzard warning. Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin declared a state of emergency Monday as Sandy is expected to bring high winds and heavy rains and leave behind flooded towns and as much as 3 feet of snow on the state's highest ridge tops. Eastern parts of the state can expect to get up to 6 inches of rain. More than 128,000.

WISCONSIN

A village along Lake Michigan suggested residents evacuate Tuesday morning because of the possibility of dangerously high waves and flooding. With waves expected to reach as high as 33 feet Tuesday on Lake Michigan, the Port of Milwaukee is taking steps to protect its docks and boats. The superstorm is expected to create dangerous conditions on the Great Lakes. The National Weather Service issued gale and storm warnings for the lakes through Wednesday.

Currently without power here in Queens, New York. Downed trees, power lines and store signs littered the neighborhood streets this morning. The power lines on my block all burned up, but not before 5-6 hours of intense power surges! It was a fireworks show. Here's a link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrgfqrMdO7I&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Not much rain, but the winds were very strong. All in all, it was pretty crazy. Didn't expect this much destruction here.

Back to you guys in the studio!

If people want to kill themselves being stupid, so be it.

That's how people usually kill themselves in these kind of situations, by not using their brains.

Early estimates of the storm (from 8 PM last night) had damages of $35 to $45 billion. But it is still too early to gauge that. It could be much more. If its at $45 billion+ it would be the 6th costliest Atlantic Hurricane recorded (adjusted for inflation). It would be behind the 1926 Miami, Katrina, Galveston of 1900 and 1915, and Andrew. Without inflation it would be the 2nd costliest storm after Katrina.

Winds have calmed down here in the Metro Detroit Area. Hopefully it stays that way.

They're still predicting 20-25mph winds through Thursday, but it has gotten much better then it was last night.

You are correct. Estimated 8.1 without power. 33 dead. http://news.msn.com/us/sandy-leaves-floods-fires-17-dead-in-its-wake

That's insane.

That's how people usually kill themselves in these kind of situations, by not using their brains.

Early estimates of the storm (from 8 PM last night) had damages of $35 to $45 billion. But it is still too early to gauge that. It could be much more. If its at $45 billion+ it would be the 6th costliest Atlantic Hurricane recorded (adjusted for inflation). It would be behind the 1926 Miami, Katrina, Galveston of 1900 and 1915, and Andrew. Without inflation it would be the 2nd costliest storm after Katrina.

Good lord....My uncle lives in New Jersery, and he told me, I quote "Insane amount of damage". Wow.

They're still predicting 20-25mph winds through Thursday, but it has gotten much better then it was last night.

It's tapered off to about a 5-10mph breeze with occasional gusts to about 20.

No power at all. When I called my local electric company they said they have no estimate on when power will be available in my area which is nothing new. Companies take forever to get my area running again. It always takes days or weeks to power sometimes because to them we don't exist until it is time to pay the bill.

Here is what I can determine.

Power went out at EXACTLY 7:30. It came back on at EXACTLY 6:30. I suspect foul play.

gamerdog6482
Here is what I can determine.

Power went out at EXACTLY 7:30. It came back on at EXACTLY 6:30. I suspect foul play.

And the stores must have run out of tin foil eh?

20 miles north of boston and we got heavy winds and rain yesterday and schools closed monday and tuesday. Today it hit 75* bright and sunny. Right now its almost as bad as it was yesterday. Rains are heavier but winds are less. Lots of thunder and lightning today tho. None yesterday.
Spending the evening on the screen porch again with the wife and a twelve pack!
Love storms

My town spent all day "planning" how to get the power back on. :banghead:

The good news is that as long as I'm out of power, so is the school. :D
Thank God my neighbors don't password protect their wi-fi. This is what they get for flaunting their generator right in front of me. *evil laugh*

My god...
Heart goes out to everyone in the storm. Here in Illinois, the winds are terrible, but that's it.

New Jersey...good lord.

NYC...Wow...

How the hell is Pittsburgh still unaffected? I was outside and there weren't even strong winds.

Back