Hurricane Watch: Post-Tropical Cyclone Sandy.

• Thread starter Blitz24
  • 390 comments
Yesterday was a horrible mess of weather here in Boston. Today was a beautiful day. Wasn't expecting that.

MÜLE_9242;7764453
And I'm the queen of England.

Yes. Because Canada got hit very hard; power never went out, no floods, no trees. :grumpy: One thing that happened; it rained on the recycling bins, and I got my work gloves wet.

Still, it could've been worse...

Current estimates of damage place storm RIGHT NOW at $25 billion, which is 5th all time in costliest Atlantic Hurricanes. It wouldn't be surprising if the costs top $50 billion, placing it 2nd all-time. Jim Cantore said it best, "Sandy is the Katrina of New Jersey". Seaside Heights lost its amusement park, Belmar got a lot of damage and lost the boardwalk, Mantoloking has gas lines erupting in flames, Atlantic City lost its boardwalk and had a terrible evacuation plan.

Current estimates of damage place storm RIGHT NOW at $25 billion, which is 5th all time in costliest Atlantic Hurricanes. It wouldn't be surprising if the costs top $50 billion, placing it 2nd all-time. Jim Cantore said it best, "Sandy is the Katrina of New Jersey". Seaside Heights lost its amusement park, Belmar got a lot of damage and lost the boardwalk, Mantoloking has gas lines erupting in flames, Atlantic City lost its boardwalk and had a terrible evacuation plan.

Estimates as of last night were over $50 Billion bro. $30 billion alone in businesses.

Aren't 44 of those in Puerto Rico?

Also, Piers Morgan on CNN said "how stupid can you be to go outside when the government, etc. etc. is telling you not to?" I kinda think that's harsh because people don't have power, and around where I am they were giving out dry ice to the people who didn't have power.

Yay NY!!!

Aren't 44 of those in Puerto Rico?

Also, Piers Morgan on CNN said "how stupid can you be to go outside when the government, etc. etc. is telling you not to?" I kinda think that's harsh because people don't have power, and around where I am they were giving out dry ice to the people who didn't have power.

Yay NY!!!

Outside of the states there was a total of 69 deaths.

And, the part I'm worried about; was Watkins Glen damaged? New Jersey Motorsports Park? Does anyone know?

Yes, because life doesn't matter to me, as much as driving. That's why I'm here.

Anyways, I can say that Mosport fared just fine. :)

I often find myself amazed at how low the death toll can be in events like this when you see the devastation they cause.

MrMelancholy15
And, the part I'm worried about; was Watkins Glen damaged? New Jersey Motorsports Park? Does anyone know?

Yes, because life doesn't matter to me, as much as driving. That's why I'm here.

Anyways, I can say that Mosport fared just fine. :)

NJMP is fine. That part of New Jersey wasn't hit TOO hard. It's about an hour off the shore.

But that's the least of our worries when people are dying.
I luckily didn't get hit that hard. Only lost power for 36 hours or so. I'm thankful for that.
Now comes the clean up. :banghead:

What gets me about people dying in a hurricane, at least in the US, is that it's almost always preventable. If you're told to evacuate an area, you probably should evacuate as instructed. Sure there's always people who die during rescue or by accidents (falling debris, fire, electrocution) during clean ups, but that's typically a pretty low number.

And it's a fair question about the race tracks. It's not like we are say forget the dead, we are just seeking out more information about the damages.

photonrider
Yes, deadly storm - but I expected worse in terms of casualties. We are obviously better prepared now.
I disagree. We knew this storm was coming and was likely to hit the East Coast for about a week before it hit. And yet, while the death toll was relatively low, power went down, there was widespread flooding, etc. So actually, we are pretty helpless even when a relatively small category storm blows through.

This area is getting worse before it gets better. Its impossible to drive even down the block to get fuel as lines stretch almost a quarter of a mile and no supplies can be brought in because the harbor is closed still. At least if they can open the harbor we can try and get some fuel supply but basically I am confined to my house and may have to leave it for elsewhere because part of my family has no power and they need to come here, therefore I must leave.

I disagree. We knew this storm was coming and was likely to hit the East Coast for about a week before it hit. And yet, while the death toll was relatively low, power went down, there was widespread flooding, etc. So actually, we are pretty helpless even when a relatively small category storm blows through.

There's only so much of Mother Nature we can control. Compared to the devastation of Hurricane Katrina, I do think the US has been better prepared for this one.

mattythedog

I think we were better prepared for Sandy than we were with Katrina

There's only so much you can do with plywood, sand bags and evacuations. Power would have gone out no matter how much the East Coast prepared, with winds that strong and that much water the grid wouldn't have been able to hold together. Destruction still would have happened on a massive scale, it was a massive storm.

And the category had nothing to do with it. It was the sheer size and pressure differential that was the issue.

Political wise, this couldn't have come at a better time for him. He is praised by a lot of people for handling this situation very well.

Back