Hurricane Watch: Post-Tropical Cyclone Sandy.

• Thread starter Blitz24
  • 390 comments
Well, he actually isn't. But he is being praised by republicans and democrats, so that will all be in his favor.

sumbrownkid
Still, it will feel a bit cheap if Obama's campaign uses this in their last grasp for votes.

I think a lot of people see him as handling the hurricane the way he has because he wants votes. I guess it never crossed people's minds he's actually doing what the leader of a nation should do in a time of crisis. (Not saying you are saying this)

I think he's handling the situation quite well all things considered and I am glad he dropped the campaign bs to go back and actually work as a president instead of doing whatever it is politicians do on the campaign trail. I feel he's acting in a similar manner to Bush on 9/11 (pre-war stuff, because we can't bomb a hurricane).

I think it is rather unfortunate for Romney that he talked about getting rid of FEMA and his whole Red Cross debacle though. He really did go about this the wrong way.

I think a lot of people see him as handling the hurricane the way he has because he wants votes. I guess it never crossed people's minds he's actually doing what the leader of a nation should do in a time of crisis. (Not saying you are saying this)

I think he's handling the situation quite well all things considered and I am glad he dropped the campaign bs to go back and actually work as a president instead of doing whatever it is politicians do on the campaign trail. I feel he's acting in a similar manner to Bush on 9/11 (pre-war stuff, because we can't bomb a hurricane).

I think it is rather unfortunate for Romney that he talked about getting rid of FEMA and his whole Red Cross debacle though. He really did go about this the wrong way.

Some of the people in NY are unhappy that Obama didn't tour the city. Even though it would have meant more police there many of them (in the Rockaways, Nassau and Suffolk Counties) are just as hard hit as NJ.

Some of the people in New York need to worry about the real issue. Getting back up and running. What good would him viewing NY do?

Caz
Some of the people in New York need to worry about the real issue. Getting back up and running. What good would him viewing NY do?

Because they felt slighted that nobody other than the FDNY has come to see them.

I would rather fdny than the president.
I just dont understand what there is to be upset about with this. Honestly what can the president do other than look good try to reassure people it will be ok.

Sorry, not trying to come off insensitive here. I have deep sympathies for those who lost everything, and have family in NY and the dc area as well as many lifelong childhood friends up and down the east coast. I just feel that it is a trivial thing to whine about (not saying or implying you are blitz) than the president not "touring" the disaster area.

Some of the people in NY are unhappy that Obama didn't tour the city. Even though it would have meant more police there many of them (in the Rockaways, Nassau and Suffolk Counties) are just as hard hit as NJ.

He's only one guy and he went to where the storm made land fall. He can't be in every place at once and run the country. I can fault Obama for a lot of things, but I can't fault him for his response to Sandy.

And are New Yorkers that absorb in their ego that they have to complain about the president not visiting their area instead of focusing on way more important things.

He's only one guy and he went to where the storm made land fall. He can't be in every place at once and run the country. I can fault Obama for a lot of things, but I can't fault him for his response to Sandy.

And are New Yorkers that absorb in their ego that they have to complain about the president not visiting their area instead of focusing on way more important things.

I have no issue with it. I'm just saying what I saw.

Huffingtin Post has never been what I would recall a reliable source.

The Huffington Post isn't claiming the article to be true or factual, they are reporting that the "The Brave Lions Of Syria" have made this claim on Facebook.

Well... Posting from my local library, I may be without power for up to 10 days.

The water came back on, thank God for that at least.

NJMP is fine. That part of New Jersey wasn't hit TOO hard. It's about an hour off the shore.

But that's the least of our worries when people are dying.
I luckily didn't get hit that hard. Only lost power for 36 hours or so. I'm thankful for that.
Now comes the clean up. :banghead:

Says you. I've almost died before. The few things I think of are, in this order: Mika (my cat,) my family, my friends, and cars. If any one of those were no more, I'd lose my own will to live, clearly. Surprisingly, though, cars is the real swaying factor.

Darn. At least, though, $50,000 isn't too bad, for Watkins Glen/Pocono; it could be worse. And, as a result, I'm thankful.

I ended up spending 5 day on a 65' tug with 6 other people while moored up in Albany. I had to stay up for all of two of those nights because with the tides changing so quickly I had to run out and either tighten or loosen the lines every 20 minutes. Both high tides were at night so I didn't really get any pictures, but:
622074_519062874771861_504631412_o.jpg

That's normal low tide. It actually got lower just before the hurricane. But what's scary is how high it got. The deck on the fantail(Back) or the Wire was level with the pier with the storm surge and full moon combined.

Luckily while the water was high it was moving fairly slow on the side rivers, so our base was just kinda...messy and wet. Stuff below the waterline was ruined, but for the most part nothing moved around much. Just some boats out of place and some ruined power tools we'll be getting money to replace.

Just glad Pasadena, MD ended up getting out relatively cleanly since that's where I came from and where my family currently is.

Storm naming of nor'easter is confusing! Apparently this storm has been designated the name of Winter Storm Athena.

Storm naming of nor'easter is confusing! Apparently this storm has been designated the name of Winter Storm Athena.

What's confusing about that?

The first storm of the season gets an "A-" name designation. "Winter Storm" just fits in, because everyone likes copying me, :grumpy: or something. :sly: :rolleyes:

What's confusing about that?

The first storm of the season gets an "A-" name designation. "Winter Storm" just fits in, because everyone likes copying me, :grumpy: or something. :sly: :rolleyes:

Confusing because there is no reason to name Winter Storms.

^
The whole thing with naming Winter storms is from the The Weather Channel, it's not anything official like with Hurricanes.

Ferrari to Auction F12 Berlinetta for Hurricane Relief
The first F12 Berlinetta to be sold in the United States will be auctioned by Ferrari, which will donate the proceeds to the American Red Cross to support the organization’s relief efforts after Hurricane Sandy, the automaker said.

The auction will be at 9 p.m. Eastern time on Nov. 17 at the Formula One United States Grand Prix in Austin, Tex. People who cannot attend the event may contact Ferrari dealers for information on how to place bids.

“Here at Ferrari, we have experienced and seen the devastation that Hurricane Sandy has caused in the affected area firsthand,” Marco Mattiacci, chief executive and president of Ferrari North America, said in a statement. “We want to use our event next week at Formula One in Austin to give back to our local community by auctioning the F12 Berlinetta.” Ferrari North America’s headquarters are in Englewood Cliffs, N.J.

The F12 Berlinetta will be available for purchase in the United States starting in the second quarter of 2013 with a base price of $315,888. But Ferrari expects the auction to bring in much more than that. “The F12 Berlinetta is already in high demand, and we expect the auction to yield a significant contribution to storm relief,” Mr. Mattiacci said.

NY Times

Last edited:
I think you'll find that it's to specify which storm they're talking about.

I know what the purpose is, but as the NHC and NWS stated, there's no reason to do it unless there is a uniform definition. Hurricanes have a uniform definition (now more uniform since its wind-speed, not just Central Pressure), winter storm naming needs to have a uniform definition in order to be used, otherwise its disheveled.

That thing is comical, and I'm sure the article only scratched the surface of all of the nonsense. That financial crisis really has our government spending more responsibly...

Latest Posts

Back